Finally, A BioShock Infinite Trailer!

By Craig Pearson on March 14th, 2013 at 2:00 pm.

From this angle, it looks like The Sims

After years of speculation, I’ve finally figured out what the ‘Infinite’ stands for in the new BioShock’s title. It’s the number of trailers that they’re going to release before the game comes out. The closer we’ll get, the sheer mass of the trailers they’ve made will start warping time. We’ll slow down the closer we get to the March 26th, and time will stretch on and on. We’ll never escape the trailer singularity, and the closer we the less chance we’ll have of playing. So I have another trailer for you, because I passed the event horizon a long time ago.

I should probably stop watching these, but I am a bit too excited about BioShock Infinite. It’s the only release date I don’t have to Google to remember. I added it to Google Calender. I really did.

This is the ‘False Shepherd’ trailer, but there’s little to no Mass Effect cosplay. It has all the trailer cliches you can imagine. There is a bit where an orchestra makes that increasing screechy noise to denote THINGS! There are three separate occasions where the action stops, the screen fades to black while Booker narrates, and then ACTION! They don’t appear to have found the Inception button at least.

MARCH26THMARCH26THMARCH26THMARCH26THMARCH26THMARCH26THMARCH26TH
MARCH26THMARCH26THMARCH26THMARCH26THMARCH26THMARCH26THMARCH26TH

, , , , .

1. analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

Uber Hype and Heavy PR, now where have I seen this a lot recently?

Free noose with Pre Orders, mmmmmmmmmmmm!

• BobbyDylan says:

To be fair the steam pre-order unlock on this game is pretty sweet. A free copy of Xcom! Yes please, I can gift it to a friend and finally try the MP.

• analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

Well I suppose they have to sweeten the pill of paying upfront for an unknown entity. Without any benefit there is ZERO point in pre-ordering(digital copies) for the consumer. For the publisher pre-orders are manna.

• Wreckdum says:

Thank you for explaining to us mindless consumers that there is no benefit in pre-ordering! I haven’t heard this driven into the ground by every person on earth linking TotalBiscuits stupid pre-order rant on Aliens Colonial Marines and read eleventy billion other articles on why not to pre-order.

Everyone knows there is no benefit to pre-ordering. They just like doing it for some reason.

Klydefrog says:

The reason I pre-ordered, and the main reason I pre order any game is that I managed to get it for £20 which I think I would struggle to do on launch day. I also know that because of my attachment to the series I will want to play and form my own opinion on the game before I read any reviews whatsoever, to the extent that I was perfectly willing to risk potentially wasting money on a game that might turn out to be rubbish. Not to mention the fact that I was retrospectively given a free copy of Bioshock (although I already had that) and a free copy of The Darkness II a few weeks after my pre-order.

• analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

On you go then my friends, £3.99 Steam sale games as a tempter (that you may never play/already have). I think as consumers you have it tied down.

I bought Far Cry 2 pre-order(MY LAST!) and got banned from the forums (for obvious reasons), I will be banned from the Thief 4 forums(as I probably will buy it, not pre-order though)

• suibhne says:

That’s assuming it gets unlocked… In the meantime, Amazon offers close to the same thing via $30 in trade-in credit for 2K games – which would apply to XCOM’s current price of $35 or so.

If the XCOM bonus unlocks on Steam, I’ll get it there. Otherwise I’ll go with the Amazon deal.

• Kamos says:

Except if you happen to be part of the 0.0001% that thinks XCOM is actually a pretty poor game (like me).

• Michael-Harr says:

just as Linda explained I am surprised that anyone able to make $6134 in one month on the computer. did you look at this web link… http://zapit.nu/318

• BobbyDylan says:

Hey, then maybe Linda can pre-order me a copy then.

• analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

She didn’t make $6134 in one month to go all giddy buying all and sundry video games of their choosing. That money is earmarked for crack, laxatives and next months batch of snake oil is my bet!

• Dezmiatu says:

Is fluoide considered snake oil, because that stuff is addicting. It cleared up my acne, regrew my wisdom teeth, and resurrected two of my five dead pets.

• Low Life says:

Every big budget game release?

Also, I’m not spending any attention to any trailers, previews or whatnot released at this point. I’m preordering this game like the pathetic sheep I am.

• Ultra Superior says:

It looks very cartoonish. Very scripted and joyful. Happy days.

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

Great. Now I have the word “tringularity” stuck in my head.

• Wreckdum says:

I think the main character voice actor is Logan Thackeray from Guild Wars 2.

3. ludotex says:

Reminded me I’d play a Bastion 2…

• Grargh says:

Yeah, the flying city and the music at the beginning were strongly reminiscent of that.

4. KlaxonOverdrive says:

Finds bottle in crate. “What’s this?” he wonders. Guess I’ll drink it and see.

Cause that’s what you do with strange bottles of liquid.

Which reminds me of Bioshock.

Finds hypodermic needle. “What’s this?” he wonders. Guess I’ll jab it in my arm and see.

Cause that’s what you do with strange hypodermic needles.

Morlock says:

This is how I got addicted to Hepatitis drugs.

• Grargh says:

It’s the scientific method, more or less.

• studenteternal says:

To be fair, you were asked nicely to stab yourself with a random hypodermic in Bio-shock.

• analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

I was hoping the offer of drugs would improve the tedious gameplay, sadly plasmids(orwhateverthefucktheywerecalled) were just hand-glam!

• lijenstina says:

P- E -T – R – O -L
        That’s a funny way to spell water.

• Kollega says:

No, actually you weren’t asked to do that. You were asked to foind o crowbear or somethin’, but not to jab that random hypodermic needle into your arm. So that part remains a plot-hole.

• analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

” foind o crowbear”, I’m giggling!!

• The Random One says:

Next time I play a steampunk RPG I’ll name my character Foind O’Crowbear.

• Jeroen D Stout says:

He just caved in after having picked the wrong day to stop drinking?

• Dezmiatu says:

You need the pink elephants as meat shields when gliding on cables into a deadly mob of yokels.

• GameCat says:

Would you kindly finish first Bioshock before talking about it?

• faelnor says:

“If you’ve cut yourself at all in the course of these tests, you may have noticed that your blood is pure gasoline – that’s normal.”

5. InternetBatman says:

This trailer actually made me less excited. A bit too action movie for my tastes. Luckily trailers and gameplay are usually unconnected.

• Stochastic says:

I’ll be happy as long as there’s no cheesy narration in the game.

Skeletor68 says:

Go to the HTML 5 version of that Inception button and view source.

I don’t know anything about Tosh.0 but this dude doesn’t seem to like him…

• thegooseking says:

I don’t know who he is either, but I have heard people mention him, and only ever negatively.

• czerro says:

What? Daniel Tosh is hilarious, though his show can be hit or miss. The format of Tosh.0 is a snappier version of the soup based around mocking e-morons and social sites. The internet churns out mockable garbage 24 hours a day. Check out his stand-ups though. They’re hilarious. Some media thing blew up regarding him targeting a heckler who interrupted his set due to a throwaway facetious transition where he paraphrase: “Aren’t rape jokes the best? Nothing better than a good rape joke, am I right?” Some lady interrupted him to inform him that rape is infact NEVER funny. No shit you say! So Tosh suggested a hypothetical where 5 guys start raping this lady in the middle of the theater and everyone would see how hilarious it was. He was just messing with the lady for being so obtuse and interrupting his set, so he continued with his absurd sarcastic stance and brought the lady in on it since he knew it would ruffle her.

• TWChristine says:

I could be completely wrong, but from the little bit I’ve seen of the commercials and coming across the show once for several minutes (which resulted in my wife and I looking at each other and going “Uhhh…next..”) it seems to be a show hosted by a comedian (I use that term very loosely) that essentially gives commentary over a collection of popular Youtube videos (and from my very little experience it was mainly ones where people are getting hurt or involve jokes that very immature young people would find funny). You’re not missing anything!

• SkittleDiddler says:

There are two kinds of people in this world: those who enjoy Tosh.0, and those who enjoy life.

7. BobbyDylan says:

I’m still waiting for the next Shock game that’s as good as System Shock 2.

• analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

Too true, where Bioshock got these rave reviews(from the gaming community too) from I just don’t understand.

• StickyNavels says:

It was a good game. It just wasn’t System Shock. I think it was pretty impressive how the community was able to forget its wild expectations and sense of entitlement and apprecitate Bioshock for what it was.

• analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

It was just on the good side of OK IMO, played it up to what should have been the end but the Big Daddy stuff meh!

The combat was poor, everything important had big flashing golden aura’s. It is a collection of all that is bad about ‘modern’ FPS’s, all narative, no gameplay!

EDIT: And apparently it’s the highest rated FPS ever, the disconnect between modern gaming and myself is a gaping chasm!

• Brun says:

Half-Life 2 currently sits at the top of MetaCritic’s PC games list (all genres). BioShock is in the top 10 somewhere but it’s not at the top.

• analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

Yes but you are talking facts(metacritic) not a PR tag line.

• Brun says:

MetaCritic isn’t the end-all be-all of review sites. It’s to be expected that marketing departments will pick and choose such metrics to cast their game/IP/franchise in the best light, and they’re perfectly free to do so. I’m not sure why this is surprising or a cause for outrage. Part of being a smart consumer is knowing and expecting salespeople to stretch the truth.

Being in the top ten on MetaCritic’s best PC games of all time list is nothing to be ashamed of though.

• analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

Riiiiiight, Okaaaaay, can I chuck relevence into your argument (I don’t disagree with anything you say Buuuuut…..) :o/

• kovy36 says:

The recent released Sword of the stars: The Pit is, to my mind, a surprisingly nice homage to SS2, a lot of similar mechanics, same-ish survival vibe, with a sprinkle of Fallout skillchecks. Now consider that a roguelike is the closest thing to the SS series we get, while COD sells for blns.

strangeloup says:

You’ve hit the nail on the head there. I was trying to figure out what it reminded me of, and I got stuck at “Fallout 1/2, a bit” whereas it’s also got a pretty heavy System Shock vibe.

I think I might need to go and buy it.

• Shazbut says:

Your avatar is helping me believe you

• ResonanceCascade says:

Yes, and after they’re done with that, they should finally release another one that’s as good as System Shock 1.

golem09 says:

So many Trailers…

And I’m so glad that I haven’t watched a single one.

9. Smuggins says:

They should release a trailer of the next trailer to be super-meta.

10. Shooop says:

Her head is way too big for the rest of her body. Is she a living bobble-head?

• JFS says:

Just don’t mention the cleavage.

• analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

Dressed as she is, like a puritan, I think a glimpse of ankle is the best you can hope for!

• SuperNashwanPower says:

She’s a nega-bobble like in Point Lookout. Due to the ‘distractions’, my PER and INT seem to have been -1′ed

11. apa says:

The voice acting or the way the lines sound seems somehow … not finished. It’s like there’s no connection to the sound effects, the action on-screen or the environment. The protagonist sounds the same when he’s pondering his job or fighting a 3 meter tall steampunk cyborg.

12. breakfastcereal says:

Tbh that looked like a really bad generic action trailer.

• wodin says:

My thoughts exactly. Poor animations..poor gunplay lacking any umpf factor..overall looks dated.

• analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

Aye, now Thief$, I mean Thief4 is in a mad rush to wallow in the pit of mediocrity.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

• ResonanceCascade says:

I can’t muster any anger or disappointment with Thief 4. Just play the Dark Mod and the massive library of Thief fan missions. It’s not like there’s some shortage of quality Thief experiences out there. There’s stuff still coming out on a regular basis.

13. Kollega says:

When Booker started his “bring us the girl and wipe away the debt” thing again, i have quite literally shouted something along the lines of “I know, I KNOW, NOW SHUT UP! “. It’s just that tiresome.

14. Menshai2013 says:

I was about to say that the action heavy trailer makes it a little far removed from the original Bioshock trailers, make me worry that, as some people have said, they’ve sold out the nuance and the philosophy to create a Call of Bioshock: Infinite Ops…. Then I went back and watched some of thise original trailers… I don’t think it’s really all that more action packed. Well, maybe it’s a bit faster and prettier looking… And frankly, I tend to take most trailers with a pinch of salt – everything’s made to look awesome and action-packed because the ‘WOW HOLY S**T THAT’S AWESOME’ reaction kinda sells…

If half I’ve what I’ve read about the story and the gameplay turns out to be true (and, perhaps more importantly, pans out significantly beyond the first 6hrs) I think this is a game I’m going to really enjoy.

And I didn’t exactly preorder it… Felt it was a suitable time for a graphics card update so got a free code via the AMD Reloaded promotion…

Not that I’m going to really have time to play it until maybe mid April! :(

• Stupoider says:

“the nuance and the philosophy”

Did we play the same Bioshock?

• Menshai2013 says:

perhaps nuance is the wrong word but a lot of philosophy went into the story in and sround Bioshock I and II….

• Angel Dust says:

I don’t know if much philosophy really went into Bioshock. It’s more like they draped some cliff notes over it and I suspect that the Infinite will be no different.

15. Mario Figueiredo says:

I’m not complaining. Watching all these trailers has allowed me to play the whole game before it was launched and without having payed for it.

• analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

Yeah! BUT you didn’t get to press ‘X’ to initiate the gam..err, sorry, 8 hour cutscene so missed out totally on the experience!

• ecat says:

Is this the new face of DLC?

“Now you have watched the entire game you can download the button for only £29.99*”

*Season pass includes this and all future awesome buttons for a staggeringly low pace of only £69.99

16. sonson says:

Hey, it’s my boss from Saint’s Row Three! And he’s doing just as much crazy violent stuff in a game with a presumably supposedly mature and subtle plot as he was in Steelport!

Hey Boss! : )

“You’re a killer Booker! Like it or not!”

*Kills 3756 people, is conflicted*

17. Scratches Beard With Pipe Stem says:

I heard that Elizabeth is controlled server-side, so the game will need always-on DRM.

18. MadTinkerer says:

I’ve been playing through the first two games in anticipation of this one and I’ve noticed what seem to be a few “callbacks” to BI if BI was made first.

For example: When Andrew Ryan first confronts you in the first game, he accuses you of being some kind of government agent bent on wrecking his city. So he basically issues a death sentence on you just for being a stranger. Which seems paranoid, and even completely out of character given what we find out about Ryan later, and especially given the backstory of “Tommy Topside” in Bioshock 2.

But gee: what happens in BI? An ex-government agent shows up, and everything goes to hell. Ryan isn’t crazy in the beginning of Bioshock: he’s trying to prevent the events of Bioshock Infinite from happening again.

Well played, Irrational.

• MadTinkerer says:

Oh, and another thing that always bugged me about Bioshock 1 and 2 is that everything is explained except for how plasmids are actually made. Yeah, there’s the implication in the crematorium, but that doesn’t at all explain how Suchong can “engineer” particular plasmids, and it can’t be true for all plasmids because there’s far too many plasmids in circulation.

Eve is basically super-energy-drink. Adam mostly comes from the slugs (which can be increased via Little Sister implantation, and drinking blood). Big Daddies are [spoiler]actual daddies[/spoiler]. But how Plasmids are made is never explained.

But if it’s all basically Colombia tech originally: I guess maybe they’ll give us the pseudo-science behind tonics or whatever they’re called in BI.

• analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

I haven’t read the books but they sound interesting. Sadly the gameplay mechanics of both I & II were sadly lacking IMO!!

• kud13 says:

Pinkerton is not ex-gov.

Other than that, a valid observation.

• F3ck says:

Well…pretty sure Pinkerton was short for Pinkerton Government Agencies…

…which, while technically a “private” organization, was widely considered to be an arm of U.S. law.

19. Kamos says:

I really liked the music right at the start, it gave me that “gunslinger for hire” vibe.

I have mixed feelings, though. I watch this and it seems like I’m watching a movie trailer. I don’t want games to be like movies. Which is a pretty dumb knee-jerk response, I guess. So there, everyone. I hope I’m being dumb with my cynical response to this video.

20. alsoran says:

Will get this as a pressy, so far so good. I really hope it lets me finish the game myself this time instead of beating the boss all by itself. Missed Bio2 to avoid dissapointment.

21. Siamese Almeida says:

Curious – Why is RPS so enamored with Ken Levine and his console-oriented shooters? Why are you so excited about this game? What is it that sets it apart from any other console shooter except for amazing visuals?

Well, the game looks fun. Seems like it will scratch a bit of that itch that the absence of any prospect of Bullestorm 2 left. The gameplay is clearly superior to the first Bioshock game. Some would argue the game is casualized and I’d really like a bit of what that someone is having. Bioshock is definitely the easiest FPS game I ever played. Never ran out of ammo, never ran out of health packs — you know, there might as well have been an Elizabeth throwing them my way. That’s their idea of “Hard” difficulty.

So essentially, Bioshock was a typical console shooter without what made other console shooters fun — setpieces and spectacular, varied environments. The art style was fantastic — that’s the only praise I’ll ever be able to muster for Bioshock. Bioshock Infinite seems set to fix a lot of the issues the first game had by admitting to it’s shallow nature. Far superior to trying to be System Shock and miserably failing in the process.

22. Frank says:

I can’t tell if it’s the voice acting or the writing, but I don’t like the main characters (protagonist, out-of-proportion girl) at all.

23. F3ck says:

I had to stop watching a few moments in…a year ago it wasn’t so bad – but this close to play time and I can’t be seeing this.

Bioshock was wonderful…

It received quite a bit of praise, but it was an exceptionally good experience (you’ll notice I didn’t say “good game” since I’ll leave that to the professionals around here…those who know how hard our games should be…and aren’t swayed story telling and obvious plot twists) for me at least.

Seems like they’re revealing too much in the vids though…less is more…we don’t want to see the shark yet.

24. Citrus says:

I have not seen a single trailer or read any interview for this game. Not even seeing this one.

Not because I don’t wanna spoil it, but because everytime I try to finish BioShock 1, I end up uninstalling it like 2 hrs in. Fucking overhyped borefest with shit combat made for gamepads.

Ironic considering the developer made my favorite PC shooter, SWAT-4, which I still play online with my clan (been playing it since 2005).

Jackablade says:

Jamming people’s faces in the flying fox gear seems rather needlessly gratuitous.

26. napoleon_in_rags says:

‘Ello everyone, first time commenter here. And I can’t freaking wait for this game.

I’m not sure why there’s an overall negative response in the comments. Is it because people around here tend to be PC purists, who consider consoles to be a lesser form of gaming? Well, I suppose I’ll be in the minority on this site. Shame, since I love the articles so very much.

Bioshock, for me, was the best experience I had on this generation of consoles. The gameplay was compelling, allowing for a creative mixture of weapons and powers that took a bit of skill to master. What really made me fall in love with it was the narrative, however. A lassez-faire utopia gone horribly awry, through human greed and a misguided stride towards ‘perfection.’ And then, a revolution against that society that is subverted to serve the exact same purposes, albeit under a new master. And all of this essentially has to be pieced together, since the player is only witnessing the aftermath.

Infinite looks like it may be even better than the first. Fingers crossed! The 26th can’t come soon enough!

• Bork Titflopsen says:

You’re not alone, buddy. I too thoroughly enjoyed Bioshock (the first, never got into the second). I even played the original on an xbox with a friend, always on the highest difficulty and never with enough ammo to do anything the way I wanted to, forcing me to experiment with all weapons and plasmids that I had available to me.

My 14 year old self also thought it was proper scary.

• napoleon_in_rags says:

Yeah. Not sure if anyone can call it ‘easy’ if they played on Very Hard with no vita-chambers. Big Daddy fights get -intense- playing it that way, along with certain other splicer encounters.

And there were definitely some scary moments. One that sticks out to me is when you’re wading through a flooded lab, a splicer’s shadow cast on the wall, when all of a sudden the lights go out completely. I was terrified.

27. SkittleDiddler says:

If the amount of marketing is any indicator, I’m going to be as disappointed by this as I was by Dishonored.

28. Ridnarhtim says:

“What’s this? Oh, I’ll just drink it, what’s the worst that can happen?”

(admittedly, it’s not as bad as Bioshock’s “What’s this needly? Guess I’ll just jam it into my arm and see.”)