Gimme Shelter: Sanctum 2 In Motion (Probably)

By Alec Meer on March 14th, 2013 at 1:00 pm.

Actually just one of them's bad news if you work at Maxis

Is this first footage from boots-on-the-ground tower defence sequel Sanctum 2 in-game or pre-rendered? Don’t ask me, I’m rapidly losing the ability to tell. Last week Jim showed me an Arma 3 video and I genuinely had to ask if it was from a game or a real recording, even though it featured a man being fired into the sky. I worry about myself, I really do. I’m pretty sure this is from the game itself though, even if it’s scripted up the wazoo for comic effect. If so, it will be a pretty videogame, as they go. It will also have towers in, but I guess we knew that.

There you go. Doesn’t tell us much about how the game will differ from the first game from a doing stuff perspective, but it looks like a step up in the graphicsability department from Sanctum the first. ‘Lush’ is the word that springs to mind for the level backdrops.

This is just one of many AMAZING FACTS gleaned from Sanctum 2 makers Coffee Stain Studios’ expansive devblog, which you should definitely be reading if you want to find out more about the game. There are also assorted, also lush shots of the beasties you’ll be murderising.

, , .

Llewyn says:

I was about to make some snarky comment about the text on the opening image, but then I thought to check the alt-text just in case…

2. philbot says:

Yay! I loved sanctum, I played it quite a bit with some friends when it released early. I never did get to the content that they released later on though. The initial release was a bit rugged, but it was good to see that the devs kept adding content and improving it. Can’t wait.

3. Brosepholis says:

Do these Walkers trawl Reddit for dirt on SimCity too?

EDIT: Ah shit, beaten to it twice

• Phantoon says:

The appropriate joke is that they too, are terrible healers.

4. InternetBatman says:

Sanctum was fun for the opening levels, but I could never get past the impression that it was designed for multiplayer.

• AntonWestbergh says:

Sanctum was initially designed as a Singleplayer game. Multiplayer was actually something we more or less emergency-patched in after the game was complete and we realized “hey guys, we forgot something, this game probably needs multiplayer”.

• x1501 says:

Considering that my friends and I played the game and both its DLC packs exclusively in co-op, for an afterthought, Sanctum’s multiplayer turned to be pretty solid.

• InternetBatman says:

I noticed huge spikes in difficulty around the third level, is that my own ineptitude then (which is very possible)?

• AntonWestbergh says:

The game changed a huge amount from the launch and onwards. About the balance, I have no idea actually.. :) It might be that it ramped up rather quickly. Keeping a good balance in this kind of game with co-op for 4 people turned out to be a pretty big challenge.

• InternetBatman says:

Thanks for responding. I did enjoy the parts of the game I could beat, and the level design and art was so neat that I loaded up the other levels and found the hidden items. I hope Sanctum 2 is equally successful.

Gap Gen says:

Ah, but is it gert lush?

6. HyenaGrin says:

I really enjoyed Sanctum. Basically every part of it. It was a solid multiplayer game and the art direction was charmingly fresh. (Hearing the character in the trailer humming the menu screen music was pretty rad, I loved that track)

I really hope they plan to update the gameplay though. The levels felt a little too static. The enemies felt a little too robotic. The game never quite came alive. Once you got about halfway through a level it was really just a matter of dumping build points into already-constructed defenses.

I think what I’d like to see is levels that change(new areas opening up, areas being destroyed, etc) and enemies capable of messing with your defenses – actively fighting back rather than slogging through them unawares.

What the game lacked was a sense that you needed to adapt to changing situations, and a sense of having to maintain what has already been built. Tougher to balance, but I think vital to a game’s longevity.

Just some thoughts.

• AntonWestbergh says:

I think you’ll like that Enemies will punch you in the face in Sanctum 2 then!

7. El_Emmental says:

Never got around playing the first one (drowned in the backlog-of-death), I wonder if there’s still people playing it. It looks like a solid tower-defense (never enjoyed that genre much, but still got that one during Steam sales).

8. ZIGS says:

That blood spatter effect is horrible

• SuperNashwanPower says:

• F3ck says:

Not blood…

…these are the equivalent of the yellow weak-points on a necromorph (that explode in a jaundiced fountain of puss) and are merely orange…

…thus the pumpkin-colored ‘splosion…

9. SuperNashwanPower says:

“Of course, the most important thing about Sanctum 2 is that its composer is called Leonard Hummer. We can only hope that he hangs out with friends such as Dave Whistler, Mike Close-Harmony and Ian Falsetto.”

I have a book on deception and camouflage on the battlefield. It was written by a guy called Colonel Michael DeWar. Its on my shelf in the ensuite bathroom and I chuckle at it whenever I pee. Sometimes it makes me miss and so my bathroom smells of urine.

10. F3ck says:

Sanctum is my favorite game of all time…to play between games…

That is, as a fun quick-fix for my gaming jones…without the complexity of plot, political espionage, storyline…whatnot…

I played a lot of Sanctum between Zaton and Freeside and Flotsam…

…glad to see it again, doing well.

11. Citrus says:

Downloaded Sanctum with all those patches and maps. Started play. Quit in half hour.

- Terrible FPS combat.
    - Boring enemies. I am pretty sure they act and even look bored. Generic design reminds me of Crysis 3 enemies.
    - Um.. feels like a MP game, cause it is? Yeah I played it SP only, don’t give a shit about playing TD in MP.

This concept can work in SP if the FPS combat was actually fun. But shooting was horrible. Like it was made in Unity game engine (and it isn’t). Special effects in Quake 2 look better along with feel of guns. Way too much wrong with the game.