Teen Zombie vs Plants: Edward & The Strange Invasion

By Alec Meer on March 14th, 2013 at 6:00 pm.

Damnit, Nickleodeon. I know you’re a commercial entity which wants all the money and everything, but you still have a duty to not mess up children. And yet there you are, making a website with ‘addicting’ in the title. ‘Nickleodeon Addicting Games’, for God’s sakes. What’s wrong with you? Is ‘addictive’ really that hard to spell?

Poor old toony, survival sorta-RPG Edward & The Strange Invasion thus finds itself tarred with the idiot brush of ‘addicting’. Which is a shame, as it’s pretty addicting. Oh God no, now they’ve got me too. JOIN US JOIN US JOIN US JOIN US ADDICTING JOIN US ADDICTING JOIN US

Aaargh. Free browser game Edward & The Strange Invasion, then. It’s probably more on the cute side than entirely suits it, but it’s pleasant, laid-back hour or so of top down-ish wandering around beast-roamed suburbs, fending off attacks from plant-monsters with the help of weedkiller and, at night, shadow-monsters with the help of a blowtorch. There’s a certain free-roaming element as the titular teen no-hoper hunts for ammo and food, but it’s very gentle and much more interested in prompting you to go to specific places.

The b-movie-meets-Pokemon feel and look works reasonably well, though I’m not sure it’s as distinctive as it could be on the art front. It’s also one of those games which has the air of being funny but doesn’t actually include many jokes. I suppose edginess is to be avoided on Nickleodeon. There are Lovecraft and Red Scare references aplenty, unreliable quest-givers and breaking into sheds to steal stuff though, and by and large it’s agreeably unpredictable.

ADDICTING. Oh, hang it all.

, , .

1. Inigo says:

That perspective hurts to look at.

• Baines says:

It’s not so much the perspective to me, but rather that the sidewalk is too wide for the world. Street lamps are almost touching the buildings, but the sidewalks look wide enough to drive a car down them. It might help if the bricks were turned 90 degrees as well.

• Lemming says:

I was about to post the exact same thing. The street looks like wallpaper.

2. Skabooga says:

Nothing wrong with “addicting”. Then again, I’m a pretty firm descriptivist.

• Convolvulus says:

“Addicting” doesn’t sound right to me, but I can’t logically complain about it being legitimate at this point. (I’m a descriptivist who was raised prescriptivist.)

• LennyLeonardo says:

I refute “addicting”, because it implies an action literally taking place in the present. I.e “this game is addicting” = “someone is currently being addicted by this game.”

Possibly true, but not definite without credible scientific study. So there.

• Convolvulus says:

If you start refuting language that doesn’t follow logic, you’ll be left with grunts and whistles before long. Anyway, “addicting” in this case functions as an adjective rather than a verb. “The addicting [adjective] games are addicting [verb] me because they’re designed for addicting [noun].” Ugh.

• Geen says:

I dislike it because you don’t judge your own stuff. Too many shitty flash games and have epic or awesome written in the title or description. I’ll choose what I think is epic or awesome for myself, thank you very much.

• Consumatopia says:

But that’s the beauty of “addicting”. It’s mainly used by people, developers or players, with terrible taste in games. So you know what to avoid.

• Geen says:

Tis a good point. If a game says it’s fun or epic, it’s probably utter shit.

3. Sam says:

I wonder if a focus group somewhere decided that “addictive” has negative connotations. Meth is addictive. Gambling is addictive.

But “addicting” is fine! It just means it’s a game designed to make use of certain compulsion loops so that it efficiently absorbs your free time. As a race of immortal superbeings, the one thing we all have too much of is free time.

• rb2610 says:

I was under the impression that it was just Americans and their woeful inability to use words properly.

• Premium User Badge Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

Just wait, one day soon we will claim the English language back, leaving Americans with nothing more than grunts, pointing, and blows to the head!

• thegooseking says:

Well, and Spanish, but the utility of that tongue rather relies on them not becoming outraged every time someone uses it.

• Premium User Badge Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

No, we’ll have a quiet word with Spain beforehand, to encourage them to remove this obvious fallback. With two linguistic strikes the most powerful nation on Earth will be left helpless! HELPLESS, I TELL YOU!

• The Random One says:

Don’t they have any other fallback languages? They could borrow that one language Canada isn’t using-

Oh, it’s French? Never mind then, it’s a foolproof plan.

• Geen says:

I’m sorry. The English language is long dead. It died of torture long, long ago, in the early days of texting and the internet. They found the corpse, and it had been mutilated beyond all reason. It was a good language. What a rotten way to go.

• Premium User Badge Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

Sir, you are mistaken. English is the horror-movie monster of languages. It doesn’t matter what you do, it doesn’t matter how badly messed up it looks, English survives and lumbers on, without fear or pity. It is the linguistic equivalent of the Borg, assimilating other languages and adapting against all attacks.

Is it any wonder the French are so protective about their language? They know English is waiting across the Channel, never sleeping, never blinking its lidless eye, to overwhelm them the second they relax their vigilance, and before you know it the youth of France will be saying “TBH pukka massala compadre! YOLO!”

• Ragnar says:

Hey, don’t blame us. We’re as incensed by it as you.

This is pure marketing speak – because addictive is bad but addicting is awesome! Come get addicted by their addicting games!

• Geen says:

Y’know, here in America schools can’t say dice because they think it’ll make the kids compulsive gamblers. Instead, they are ‘number cubes’ for some reason.

4. Koozer says:

In ten years time, whenever any of us write “addictive” a snarky youngster will be there to scoff and ‘correct’ our spelling.

• Bo Steed says:

At which point I will strike them firmly with something solid.

5. PAK-9 says:

Hrm, bit disappointed to see a flash game getting a post, that’s not really the sort of thing I want to read on RPS.

• Mad Hamish says:

There has been loads of these types of games posted on RPS for a long time. If I don’t want to read a particular article on RPS, I don’t read it. In fact there are multiple articles every day that I manage not to read, despite my disinterest.

• Sam says:

In a world of already dubiously applicable game genres, “Flash game” is an especially terrible way to categorise things. Flash is a technology used to make games and has virtually no bearing on what form the game takes.

You can make standalone downloadable games in Flash, you can make iOS and Android app games in Flash, you can make browser games in Flash. You can make hunt the pixel adventure games, platformers, first person shooters, meditations on the trials of being a wealthy white male, flight simulators, whatever the developer cares to program. It’s a well supported platform complete with low level graphics hardware support, so it can do pretty much anything.

If you want to dismiss a game as being below you without playing it, I would advise finding a better reason than the technology used to power it. Certainly quite a lot of games made using Flash are mindless time wasters, but that’s in no way inherent to the technology.

• Premium User Badge darkChozo says:

To be fair, “flash game” does have a somewhat useful connotation in some sense. If you tie it to a general category of games instead of the technology (ie. HTML5 games or Java applet games are “flash games”), it suggests a short, usually Web-based game with limited graphics, often with limited mechanics and story content. Something along the lines of the gaming equivalent of a short story or film, basically.

That being said, there’s no reason to exclude flash games from any discussion besides snobbishness. Flash games are just as capable of being good games as “real” games are (though the lower barrier to entry means that there’s a lot of crap out there).

• Kitsunin says:

You’re not wrong, but unfortunately the majority of people that use “Flash Game” use it as a means to dismiss something, even an game otherwise sharing no similarities to the “Flash Game” genre. Look at Binding of Isaac, for instance. I think “Browser Game” is a better name for that genre, though, looking at the growth of Unity and its use to create similar short form games. Even that, though, isn’t quite right; have you played Epic Battle Fantasy 4? That game is one of the best, most fully featured RPGs I’ve played, and yet still played straight from your browser.

• Phantoon says:

These sort of things have been posted about since the beginning of RPS.

You’re on the wrong website.

• PAK-9 says:

I like to express my opinion about what I do and do not like to read on RPS so that hopefully the contributors end up writing more about the things I like, and less about the things I don’t like.

Does that really warrant negativity?

• Premium User Badge Llewyn says:

The RPS writers (and site owners) like to express their opinions on the things they find interesting in the hope that their readership will end up appreciating those things more and other things less.

Does that really warrant your negativity?

(In a slightly less snarky tone, you’re reading a gaming opinion site owned and written by opinionated people. In a broad sense, they aren’t writing for us, they’re writing for themselves and happen to have a pretty good track record of other people being interested in the things they want to write about.)

• Kitsunin says:

And I hate it when RPS reports on these gosh darned C++ games. Man, I should go complain about it on every article related to a game coded in C++ in the hopes they’ll post about them less. Oh wait, that’d be stupid. Maybe if I said I don’t care about stupid Tower Defense games so they should be ignored…hmm, no, that’d still be pushing my opinion onto others.

• Ragnar says:

Defenders’ Quest is a “flash game”, and it is awesome! Don’t be prejudiced against flash games. No one thought much of Unity at first either, and then Obsidian, InXile, and seemingly every other established studio on Kickstarter started using it.

6. Kefren says:

I hate the way language keeps getting mangled. It is a pleasure to enter the main hall of RPS Castle where I am served a glass of sherry and get to partake in polite conversation. The whole process is rather addictive. The scruffy oik who enters and tells us that something is “addicting” is pelted with left over jam roly-poly and leaves even more befuddled than is usual for him. The silly oaf who tells me that “Team GB did well” is kicked up the posterior and informed that the adjective comes before the noun – it is “the British team”. The voluminously-robed lady who tells me her “gender is female” is forced out of the castle and into the moat, along with a sheet of papers explaining that male and female are sexes, not genders. And then we sit down again, pour another glass (brandy, this time), and debate which was superior: the Konix Speedking or the Quickshot II Turbo? And so the wolves do howl and and owls do hoot during another lovely evening or refinement and intelligence.

7. Kefren says:

The game perspective is very Joe Blade.

8. dE says:

My experience with this game is of the allergic kind. Too much handholding to the point where I feel like the game is mocking me.

Game:
    There’s no gasoline left. Guess you’ll have to find it.
    Try searching for it in sheds.
    Like… this one we’re pointing the camera at.
    Try searching the nearby shed.
    Yes, the one 2 meters from you, where we still point the camera.
    You’ve searched the Shed. What a splendid good Job you did.

Me:
    Oh for crying out loud, bugger off! I’m not THAT stupid.

Game:
    You’ve found the x button. Goo…

9. zachforrest says:

I’m glad people say addicting. It provides a clear boundary between your common or garden RPS reader and errrm how to say this…twats. So good on you twats!

• LennyLeonardo says:

Are those groups mutually exclusive? This reply would imply otherwise (I’m a twat).

• zachforrest says:

I’m afraid to say…

Edit: no I feel bad. Not a twat, but I’ve never read a book in my life that used the word, and I find it very strange indeed

• Kitsunin says:

I remember when I was younger and saw the word twat. I thought it was just a British way of saying twit, so I started saying it all the time because I loved the way it sounded. Then I discovered that it isn’t actually a cute thing to say.

• LennyLeonardo says:

One time my mum tried to call me a twit, but accidentally said “twat”. Or at least I think it was an accident…

10. omastar444 says:

Decent game thou each time they said “E.T. Lunchcraft”, a bit of me died with a loud curse.

11. Mollusc Infestation says:

Addicting is a word invented by Americans after they burglarized the English language.

• Skabooga says:

Come now, at least we gave you back all the ‘u’s.

• Kitsunin says:

Maybe if you guys took better care of it we would’ve let you keep it to yourself. At least Americans are capable of speaking without an accent.

• Chris D says:

Heh. That made be laugh. But you have forgotten one word and it shall be your undoing: Mississippi.