Goose Chase: Tactical Intervention Open Beta Now

By Alec Meer on March 15th, 2013 at 10:00 am.

how come such a dirty office has posh Herman Miller chairs in it?

I’ll be honest with you: I have two middle names. I’ll be honest with you again: I will almost certainly never play Tactical Intervention, the new multiplayer shooter from Counter-Strike co-creator Minh “Gooseman” Le. Why? Because of a gypsy curse, of course. But you are under no such restrictions, which means you can play the game right now. Its open beta has launched, you see.

Update: doesn’t appear to be live in all territories as yet. Grr. Of course, there are ways and means to pretend to be American, but hopefully they’ll make it open to all comers soon.

The open beta runs until March 25h, and doesn’t require any faffing about with keys and stuff, though you do need to create an account and use some bespoke downloader app, from here.

They don’t appear to have switched on the in-game currency stuff (known as Astros) as yet, but once the full game goes live it looks you’ll be microtranscating hats and gloves and attack dogs. Remember: A dog is for life, not just for ripping some guy’s throat out.

Go take a look, and tell me how much I should be lamenting my curse.

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. BobbyDylan says:

Asplosions!!! Cars!!! Shields!!! Headshots!!!More asplosions!!!!1eleven.

2. baozi says:

Hm: “Currently, Tactical Intervention is available to download and play within North America only.”
    & clicking on the download button does nothing for me. Am I doing anything wrong?

• pakoito says:

Did you forget to shout ‘MURICA this morning?

• jplayer01 says:

I downloaded it fine, registered, and now it won’t start Tactical Intervention with a “Service not available in your region” error. What is this shit?

mjrmua says:

The engineer who worked out how to extract location data from an Ip address, did a huge disservice to the internet.

Malibu Stacey says:

No one worked out anything of the sort. It’s a simple database look up on where ranges of IPs are assigned and hence gets things very wrong very often.

3. -Spooky- says:

What dis´? Another “the world need no CS” clone? Urban Terror is the real deal. Fo´sure!

• Ansob says:

Urban Terror isn’t being made by the dude who created Counter-Strike, though.

• -Spooky- says:

Tru. And now? Urban Terror was always the better CS.

• dgz says:

I clearly remember Urban Terror’s state back in 2000/1/2 and it was shit tbh. Never really liked the game – only familiar with it because I played lots of Quake 3 duels, and some mods for stupid fun. UT did improve during mid 2000s, though. Not as as good as latest CS in terms of mechanics and CS never shined in that respect.

• Radiant says:

Urban terror was good.
      But when you have Cod why play UT?

]$[

Gap Gen says:

Is a tactical intervention where your family kicks in the door and addresses their concern about your growing drinking problem?

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

I prefer real-time tactical intervention, although I have nothing against people who prefer turn-based tactical intervention.

Gap Gen says:

Is that the difference between an intervention where you’re all shouting at each other at the same time, versus where one person has the ball or whatever and so only they can talk?

Actually, what was that game where you go round to a couple’s house and can either help them work through their issues or engineer their breakup? Because what I posted seems to be basically that?

5. mrmalodor says:

“Service unavailable in your region”

FUCK YOU FUCK YOU FUCK YOU.

Next time do take a moment to inform your readers that this game only works in China.

6. Cugel says:

I guess I’m the one who has to be that guy today.

• SkittleDiddler says:

Are you implying that gypsy curses aren’t a real thing? Because Lon Chaney and Stephen King are telling me otherwise.

• Cugel says:

To elaborate a bit on this:

France recently forcibly evicted and deported EU citizens on the basis of them being Romani. This was done both in violation of ratified United Nations treaties as well as the European Union right to freedom of movement. Basically, the underlying argument (although not in so many words) was “the gypsy race is parasitic and unhygienic and does not harmonize with French society.”

Article here: http://www.hrw.org/news/2012/08/10/france-renewed-crackdown-roma

Together with the article I posted above about Jobbik wanting to “round up gypsies and put them in camps”, I think that’s the context this discussion should be seen in.

I read a scholar the other day that argued that it was not the theoreticians in the nazi party that paved the way for nazism, but rather anti-Semitic jokes. Although not as simple as that of course, the point is that racially charged jokes are very effective at ingraining stereotypes into society. Perpetuating the idea of Roma as some sort of pop-cultural joke people makes it all the easier for stuff like the above to happen.

Joking that “I’d love to buy this game, but a greedy jewish banker embezzled all my money!” is pretty much universally regarded as not okay (I’d hope).
      I believe Alec Meer was riffing on pop-cultural representations of Romani people rather than directly poking fun at them, those representations are still in turn rooted in racist, very real ideas that has shaped attitudes toward Romani people throughout history (and continues to do so).

RPS is a very progressive site, and I really enjoy all the writers here. And that’s why I’m taking the time to make this point, because I feel it’s one of the places where it might actually be heard.

Thank you for your time if you read this.

• The Godzilla Hunter says:

I find it so…I guess the word would be ironic, about when Europeans, the French in this case, are racist, and their governments restrict their people’s freedoms like this. Ironic because they set themselves so above other countries by accusing them of that same behavior.

The moral of the lesson is that racism can creep up anywhere, and we must be vigilant in stamping it out before it can grow. Thinking you or your country is above the behavior is how it can take root.

On a more happy note, I would say that Alec is indeed more poking fun at the pop culture idea than at certain people groups, but poor taste and all that.

Gap Gen says:

States tend to be fairly hypocritical about stuff. There was an article in the Economist noting that for all the US’s bellyaching about copyright piracy, they were guilty of copyright piracy and smuggling to a large extent, such that the revolution succeeded partly because they already had well-developed smuggling networks that they could use for arms prior to the war.

But yes, nationalism and xenophobia is one of Europe’s uglier sides, and I hope the EU crisis doesn’t drag Europe back into an age where racism is socially acceptable.

• Spider Jerusalem says:

absolutely. thank you for posting this.

Rise / Run says:

Totally with you. And thanks for keeping the tone to ‘constructively critical’ rather than ‘deep fat fry.’

7. FurryLippedSquid says:

A goose chase indeed.

8. spindaden says:

More importantly, what are your two middle names?

Alexander Bartholomew Tarquin Meer?

9. Citrus says:

The only thing “tactical” about this game is the name.

• gjrud says:

Thanks to you now I’m looking for my old rainbow six’s cds for at least an hour, is there something “modern” that resembles raingow six 3 in some way? I really miss planning missions on a “blueprint” of the location, setting up “advanced” tactics and going down for 2 shoots =(.
      I apologize for my English.

• Citrus says:

I play SWAT4 MP everyday with a lot of people (MYT clan.. but non clan players join in everyday, like 50-100 probably more.. who knows how many left).

Get SWAT4, get Xfire (because it allows you to save the server visited inside game and join directly) and join the MYT clan server for super-fun-time.

You can play Raven Shield online using some programs but at the moment, you will find that SWAT4 is the only tactical shooter (leaning and RS3 like slow and lethal combat) left with large enough active community.

Arma and BF3 piss me off so I wouldn’t recommend them to my worst enemies.

• Astrosaur says:

In alpha right now, but this looks verrry promising.

10. bstard says:

Is there a chatbox ingame with whining adolecents about ‘bloedest cheater sweins’, ‘kaknaben’ and various mum insults?

11. Citrus says:

Those chairs are created for giants. Secret troll terrorists?

• Droopy The Dog says:

Given the size of the doorway and the way he can bearly get his gun above the table in the foreground I think this is a remake of de_rats

12. uh20 says:

hmm, despite using source engine, it seems this games only windows compatable.

last i checked, porting games over to other platforms with source is now pretty brainless.

take outside source developer garry for example, after his mac port, he said the linux port is basically the same thing. all he is waiting on is for a 3rd party library called awesomium to update, and he can just instantly port Gmod over from the mac code.

But I guess it is not so brainless that some outside developers are still not trying.
    also, looks like they are using a “modified source engine” which could increase the bother.

13. tolkienfanatic says:

I wouldn’t lament not being able to play too much, you aren’t missing anything ground-breaking, or even decent.

14. AchronTimeless says:

“Why? Because of a gypsy curse, of course.”

That gypsy curse wouldn’t be named Linux would it? Seriously, the FAQ on their site about what to do if you run anything but windows is the most condescending thing I’ve ever read from a game developer. That’s including the crap EA puts out about their DRM.

15. dsch says:

‘Players who would like to decrease their respawn time, and thus get back into the action more quickly, should consider purchasing the Respawn Boost perk (available in the Black Market), which shortens respawn times by 45%.’

Are these XP or microtransactions?

16. msarge says:

This game requires that you download Pando Media Boost, which is apparently a a bit shady at worst and a resource hog at best. Unfortunately this is enough to make me avoid it…