Frozen Endzone: The Frozen Follow-Up To Frozen Synapse

By Alec Meer on March 15th, 2013 at 2:13 pm.

Juuuust a quick one, as I shall be returning on Tuesday with vastly more fulsome news on Frozen Endzone, Mode 7’s next game after the wonderful Frozen Synapse. But they’ve just gone live with a trailer and a Greenlight page, so see what you think. It’s a future sports game. It’s a strategy game. In other words, it’s a sports game that isn’t really a sports game. And it looks well flash.

Obviously they’d love you to do the Greenlight voting thingywotist, and there’s also a Facebook page on which to do whatever people do on Facebook these days. No, I don’t mean send them a selfie.

I went to see the game and interview the devs yesterday, so return next week for words, thoughts, pictures and more. By the way, Endzone is an American football term. It doesn’t mean your bottom. I suspect we’re all going to be calling this ‘Frendzone’ anyway, aren’t we?

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Benkyo says:

Interesting. Terrible name, but interesting.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

That’s what I was thinking.

• JustAPigeon says:

Yes, the name makes me do a cringe. Looks kinda cool though.

• portchd says:

I really liked Frozen Synapse, it was tense tactical action and the music was astonishing, it looks like the music is similar, but the gameplay seems to have lost the tense atmosphere…

DeVadder says:

Looks like the music is once again by the wonderful nervous_testpilot indeed.

• milman says:

Soundtrack from Synapse was glorious, fingers crossed EndZone can match it.

• Post-Internet Syndrome says:

I quite agree. They should have gone with just “Endzone”.

I fully expect a great game though, after FS.

• Magnusm1 says:

I like it.

Hodge says:

Admittedly ‘frozen endzone’ does sound like something you’d describe to your GP.

• ShineyBlueShoes says:

Sounds like Frozen Friendzone every time I read it through my head.

• Shadowcat says:

FRENDFACE

2. Richie Shoemaker says:

In my eagerness to post something without watching the trailer, my knee-jerk contribution is thus:

Speedball Manager?

• Intrinsic says:

Speedball 2 already has a Manager mode ;p i still play it to this day here and there.

3. Lord_Mordja says:

the big man hass the rock

4. Adriaan says:

The rugby/football theme is a turn off for me, but it does seem like it could be a perfect match gameplay wise. Extremely excited about the OST though, FS’s soundtrack was amazing.

• povu says:

I especially liked the soundtrack for the Red DLC. I still haven’t actually played any of the DLC content but it was worth it for the soundtrack! :D

5. RogB says:

this could be great. and their ‘turn based decisions but simutaneous movement ‘ suits the stop/start nature of american foortball plays perfectly.

• RogB says:

i didnt mean to type ‘foortball’ but i quite like it.

• jeffcapeshop says:

I was going to say that it would be pretty interesting as a straight american football game, but then thinking about it, 11 guys to move per turn would be pretty awful so it needs something along this lines to work..

6. Ironclad says:

Looks like a mix between frozen synapse and blood bowl. This is a good thing.

• Quickpull says:

This is exactly what I thought. Hopefully it takes some good cues from blood bowl because from the trailer, It doesn’t look like you do anything but run pass and tackle, which will be a shame if true. I want to attack other players, then kick them while they’re down :)

• JFS says:

Could you do this to other players in Blood Bowl? I only ever had this done to me…

• Quickpull says:

Yes you can. Though kicking a player while they’re down is against the rules. So if the ref sees you do it, you’ll get sent to the penalty box.

• InternetBatman says:

But some units, like goblins have bonuses against being seen while they do such things. One of the commentors says orcs recently figured out that bloodbowl even had a ball.

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

The Orc book “Good fiNgs to Do when PLayin BlOOd Bolw” has some excellent advice about the ball (such as “Dun eaT thiS”), and it comes in a resilient chew-proof cover! It is also lavishly illustrated in three random colours of crayon, plus authentic blood stains.

Buy now, and I’ll throw in a free copy of the Halfling half-time stew recipe!

• Ace Rimmer says:

YES. This tickles all of my fancies. Well, not the unmentionable ones, but you know.

The best thing about Steam coming to Linux was getting back into Frozen Synapse on my laptop after my ancient Windows box finally snuffed it.

7. Useful Dave says:

As much as I loved Frozen Synapse, I’m not sure if I’ll be picking this one up, as sports games aren’t really my thing. Half of what drew me into synapse was the campaign and the story that came with it, after all.

• Hoaxfish says:

Pretty much the same for me. Frozen Synapse is a really neat bit of cyberpunk right down the the neon visuals that make up combat.

This just feels like a sort of weird sports thing to me, even if it’s just as deep as FS’ combat etc.

8. MuscleHorse says:

It is important to not find oneself in the frendzone.

9. gritz says:

Man, this actually looks pretty awesome.

10. zbmott says:

I cannot stop looking at the title for this game and immediately seeing “Frendzone”.

… I’ll go back to crying alone in my room, now.

11. Inigo says:

SYSTEM PRIMED. HUT HUT HUT HUTHUTHUTHUTHUTHUTHUTHUT

12. Yargh says:

can’t we get Mode 7 talking to whoever is currently working on the Bloodbowl license?

JohnArr says:

Those crunches are meaty. I wonder if they are using Endorphin/Natural Motion?

14. TomxJ says:

nervous testpilot!

15. Kitsunin says:

Frozen Synapse-ootball!…is probably a better name than Frozen Endzone.

Nonetheless, it sounds awesome. I could imagine it having even more strategic depth than Frozen Synapse. Alternatively/also, it could be more intuitive, not that FS wasn’t quite intuitive, but I imagine with the more simple rules behind tackling/throwing/intercepting there would be less confusion over stuff like “If I run through this hallway will that guy be able kill me before I get to cover?”

16. Jams O'Donnell says:

It seems like a perfectly natural evolution from FS. I like everything except for the player models.

• RaiderJoe says:

Indeed. Something about the way the camera moves & the slightly, hmm, I don’t know what to call it, but something about the animations throws me. Stiff? But collisions looked great.

17. MrSelfDestruct says:

I had to do a double take to the header line. I read friend zone at first…sigh.

18. InternetBatman says:

Looks amazing. I would love to see the Frozen Synapse style simultaneous turn-based play implemented into Blood Bowl.

19. GHudston says:

I almost cried when it said 2014. If frozen synapse is anything to go by, I’m going to play this until my eyes bleed.

20. DonJefe says:

Looks great. But I hope they change the music from that horrible dance/trance crap.

DeVadder says:

That is actually the very first time i heard anybody dislike the music of nervous_testpilot.
      And it just now occurs to me that it is indeed wierd how everybody seems to like it. I have a friend who listens to punk and metal and who hates the electric music i have gotten to like. And when we played Android: Netrunner i randomly put the FS OST on, mostly to troll him but now we listen to it every time.

• Kitsunin says:

Well, it isn’t Electronic music, for starters, since it’s not dance music. I feel that people like it because it taps into this starving musical audience who want good electronic or trance-ish music, but can’t stand the repetitive, overly sample driven nature of those subgenres, which sadly happen to be trapped under the dance music umbrella.

It’s really hard to find music that’s quite like it.

• Tukuturi says:

Electronic music is not electronic dance music. I play music electronically pertimes, and I have never danced. Ever. Not even once.

21. fearghaill says:

lemme clear things up

friendzone: a fake thing that “nice” guys whine about when girls don’t give them the romantic attention they feel their self-serving “niceness” entitles them to

frendzone: an unfortunate potential nickname for an interesting looking upcoming sports/strategy game

• Droopy The Dog says:

My money’s on Frozone (and yes I have seen the incredibles)

22. TonyB says:

As much as I like the Frendzone idea, I’m expecting Frozone to be the more likely abbreviation.

23. Dog Pants says:

I’m excited about this. It looks great, and if the simultaneous turn based system is as smooth as Frozen Synapse it should hopefully play great too. Also loving the music.

24. agentgray says:

I loved Frozen Synapse, but all my friends have moved on to other things.

I wish it would show up on the iPad. Because the push notifications and asynchronous multiplayer thrives there. See Hero Academy for example.

DeVadder says:

Or you join the merry band of blue violence loving gentlepeople in the RPS Frozen Synapse league at http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?9809-Frozen-Synapse-League-Season-18
      Weaponry will be provided.
      (Apparently this has moved from beeing just a catchphrase to the truth as apparently you can nicely ask for the DLC if you do not have it but want to join a Red-based season)

• ColOfNature says:

That said, Upload hasn’t gone down too well so it may be a while before we play that again. Also I only have a limited number of DLCs. Weaponry may be provided, but only as required.

25. Hahaha says:

YES PLEASE

26. Radiant says:

So Frozen Synapse is never being fixed then?

DeVadder says:

Says the guy with 900 games and on position 9 in the all time global leader board. ^^

• ColOfNature says:

Who d’you think broke it?

• Radiant says:

Lol a whole bunch of us broke it.

But it is frustrating that the devs seem to have triaged a whole lot of issues and moved on to this new thing.

I mean where’s the ipad version? I have an ipad. I like to do things whilst on the toilet.
        I don’t think Mode 7 have even used their own interface.
        It’s like clicking on Aids.

The games beautiful but its a bloody mess.

27. ratache says:

All robots just wanna have fun. Preferably on a roof with no audience.

28. subedii says:

I’m guessing the reason they announced now for a 2014 release is because they’re going to have another nutty long beta.

I will admit I’m slightly disappointed. Not with the idea of the game itself. But I was secretly hoping for Frozen Synapse 2, but expanded to have an XCOM style meta-game. Ah well, I’ll hold onto that dream for a while.

That would pretty much take it from being a multiplayer only title to a singleplayer title for me. Wonder what SP features this will have. I can’t imagine there’s as much narrative you can attempt with a sports game.

29. squareking says:

Think I’ll pass.

…the ball!

But yeah, seriously, pass. Not because it won’t be a soundly executed game or that it might not be fun — it’s just not something I’d invest time into. I love turn-based tactics, I love futurebots, I can dig alternative sports stuff like Blood Bowl. Heck, I even indulge in electrobump music at times. But…yeah.

30. promenad says:

Great, now let them do FIFA15.

31. wodin says:

Good idea..don’t like the robots, rather have seen actual human players but all padded up like Speedball. Then they could have had teams and leagues and customise kits etc…then add horrible traps..finally injuries and death.

32. bigblack says:

Massively, heart-breakingly, disappointing. I love Frozen Synapse, but I don’t believe I could be less interested in the sport on display here in the vid. I cannot blame developers for wanting to tackle something different, but this is a huge let-down.

33. Shadowcat says:

I may as well ask you guys as well: Did they ever fix the bugs in Frozen Synapse that could change the history of your game (so that the previous turns no longer played out the way that they did the first time around, making the entire state of the game suddenly different?)

34. napoleon_in_rags says:

Loved Frozen Synapse, hope this comes out on something other than Steam. I don’t buy anything there anymore on principle.

35. DickSocrates says:

Frozen Touchdown. There, that wasn’t so hard.

36. Josh W says:

Wow, american football basically is a turn based game isn’t it!

I can imagine someone on their team having that exact realisation and going “right, we have to do it then”.

Also this trailer makes me expect faith from mirror’s edge to just pop in from the edge of the field and slide across it.