Purrfect: Pre-GDC Game Jam for CATS

By Cara Ellison on March 15th, 2013 at 7:00 pm.

WHY ARE CATS SO CUTE no science knows
In the morning news stomp ACROSS THE LAND it came to my attention via Gamasutra that OH JINKIES OH JEEPERS OH CRIPES YIKES ZOIKS and other exclamations that LA is hosting a game jam for cats. Just beclaws.

Friskies Games for Cats Hackathon” takes place on the 23rd of March (just before the Mecca that is the Game Developers’ Conference) to create an app or game for cats “with the fun spirit of the Friskies brand as inspiration”. There will be $15,000 dollars for the grand prize, which is a lot of money even when you convert it into pounds yeah it sounds a bit less in pounds (£9939.05 FACT FANS). It also takes place in Venice in LA, which I am a big fan of because Venice has wall graffiti of ladies with fleur-de-lis on their faces:

Right next to this there was a man holding a sign saying 'I AM NOT STONED'

It does say on the page that food will be provided but that food sounds suspiciously like it might be Friskies. I’d also like to mention that this

11 AM Hacking
12:30 PM Lunch
1:30 PM Hacking
6:30 PM Dinner

that ladies and gentlemen of RPS is just a schedule of my day. The Friskies people stole it.

CAT GAMERZ ARMY

Anyway, this is a call to arms: PEOPLE OF LA WHO READ RPS. MAKE ONLY PC-BASED GAMES FOR CATS. THEN WE WILL PUT THEM ON THIS WEBSITE. FORGET HOW MUCH SENSE IT MAKES TO MAKE IT ON IPAD! PCS!

Here is a picture of Alec’s cat. Alec’s cat wants you to make a PC-based game for cats.

, , .

1. Revolving Ocelot says:

2. Creeping Death says:

Please tell me Alec isn’t one of those people that walks his cat -.-

My brother does that. He doesn’t let his cat out of the house unless it’s on a leash, and then for no longer than 15-20 minutes. Weirdo.

• Alec Meer says:

No, no, nooooo those are two completely different black cats. See here.

• HothMonster says:

Is that a washing machine in your kitchen or do your crazy British dish washers look like laundry machines?

• Syra says:

How crazy would a yank have to be to put his dishes in a rotating drum O_o.

• The Dark One says:

Why boil your food in a pot when you can do it in a rotating drum?

• Canisa says:

We Brits do indeed put our washing machines in our kitchens. I didn’t realise until now that Yanks *didn’t* do that.

• TechnicalBen says:

Our cat goes on walks with us, but no leash. It’s self trained to be that good when coming with us. By “self trained”, I mean it trained its self, and us.

Amazingly cleaver cat.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

Cleaver, indeed. The very thing it is wielding by your children’s bedsides as you sleep.

• caddyB says:

Cats which remain indoors for all their lives live longer. On the other hand , there is nothing wrong with walking your cat outside. As long as it doesn’t eat anything.

• Premium User Badge Craig Pearson says:

John did attempt to walk Dexter. He reasoned that the silly animal enjoyed going for walks with us, so he might be able to walk him to the vet. He bought a leash and harness and tried it out in the back garden. Dexter ran to the extent of the leash, dropped to the ground, wriggled, and escaped the harness.

We never spoke of it again.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

Was Dexter named after the popular TV Serial Killer? If not, I volunteer this as an example of your subconscious desperately trying to tell you something.

• TWChristine says:

Ha! We walk ours! Or atleast one of them. The youngest is too scared, and the oldest hates the feel of grass (which is really kind of sad..) and will just sit in one spot while picking up one paw and shaking it, and then the other. The middle guy though absolutely loves it. We can take him out for hours, bring him back in and he won’t shut up until he gets to go out again. This gets really annoying when it starts heading into winter.

3. The JG Man says:

All of those cat puns were just purrfect.

4. roryok says:

there are some crazy named cat breeds….

5. Premium User Badge darkChozo says:

Cats? Hacking? …Furballs?

I got nothing.

• Premium User Badge darkChozo says:

Ooooh, according to Google “hack up” means to “to kick or kick at an opponent’s shins in Rugby football.” And it’s marked British! That’s relevant, right?

• iucounu says:

“Hacking” also means “coughing”, which is furball-related, so I think you’re fine.

6. SuperNashwanPower says:

Cats are not cute. Cats are sociopathic messengers of Satan. Kittens are cute. However, like all sociopaths, cats turn your own emotions against you by leveraging the power of human attachment. As a woman that raises a serial killer is blinded by the fuzzy myopia of motherhood to the monster that she birthed, you cannot see that what you share a home with is a creature that:

1) Has the same eyes as a snake
    2) Makes a sound that the director of The Exorcist used because he correctly believed it was the one thing that could actually make the base material more terrifying.
    3) Drags the mutilated corpses of dead animals across your living room floor
    4) Waits until a happy family occasion to vomit up a year’s worth of putrid semi-digested globs of its own coating.
    5) Probably though not certainly covets your daughter’s soul in some way.

In short, your kitten was like Gizmo. One day it got wet AND YOU DIDN’T NOTICE. The cat in that picture is smiling. That is because it is a genetically engineered cat that has had the souls of demons purged from its being.

Also, Gerbils have an attitude problem. Terrible snobs.

• Premium User Badge corinoco says:

Cats ARE cute. They aren’t sociopaths.

Weird observation of Western culture: treat a dog the way a fair majority of people treat cats and you will likely fall foul of the RSPCA or tabloid media.

Also: when was the last time you heard of a pet cat mauling a 2 year old child to death?

• SuperNashwanPower says:

You cannot get a cat collar with a crucifix on it.
        I think that sums my point up neatly.

• Chris D says:

That’s because they’re smaller. Not because they wouldn’t if they got the chance.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

Only if you offered it an inverted one

• Chris D says:

I was actually referring to mauling small children rather than wearing crucifixes as I presume you meant. If not then implying they will only eat their prey feet first to prolong the agony is a step too far, even for me.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

Curse this broken reply system. However, I shall now pretend I meant both

• Premium User Badge AndrewC says:

There’s a long tradition of cats smothering babies in their cribs as that is usually the warmest place in the house for a nice sit.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

Do you see? Do you see how the act of baby murder has been cutey-fied though? Through years of mind-controlled humans repeating it, we are now able to overlook the fact that the cat stayed put atop a thrashing, screaming, suffocating human child as it fought for its very life, because all it wanted was an iccle snuggly place to sit.

I have it figured out now. Cats are like The Tripods. When we are sleeping, they put small electrical devices on our heads, and when we awake to the mutilated remains and smeared blood of next doors budgie, we just go “awwwww”.

I must go now. I hear mewling at my door. They have come for me. I know too much.

• Soup says:

The only things my cat mauls these days are defenceless pencils: the last time she was near a bird she crouched for a while, got bored and walked up to it. She sounds like a diesel motor which just makes her weird not scary, and, finally, the thing she covets most is a bowl of branflakes (with or without milk). Or maybe potatoes, she has a thing for them too.

If my cat was a messenger of Satan, she would have been fired for being fat, stupid and incompetent long ago.

7. strangeloup says:

I have long held that Alec’s cat is the best feline in gaming. Alas the only other featured is F.2.A.R. Cat, and I had hoped that other journos/devs kitties might be featured. Perhaps google is the answer.

In any case, anyone who doubts it is the finest can simply compare the Meer cat.

8. hermpesaurusrex says:

I fucking despise cats. rrrrrrrrr.

9. carol391 says:

Its definitely the most-financially rewarding Ive ever done. Make money with Google. last monday I got a new Alfa Romeo from bringing in $7778. I started this 9-months ago and practically straight away started making more than $83… per hour. I work through this link, GoogleJobs.com