Wuzza Wuzza: The Nomad Soul Re-Released on GoG

By Alec Meer on March 15th, 2013 at 2:00 pm.

Hitting an all-time low polygoncount

Back before Quantic Dream’s David Cage was thoughtlessly proclaiming that only his barely-interactive exercises in ropey story-telling could save the world, he was busily being absolutely, 110% mad as a box of polecats and making gloriously cracked games about parallel worlds and David Bowie. There are a million and one things wrong with Omikron: The Nomad Soul, but its unflinching dedication to doing everything ever, regardless of all sense and logic, and somehow dragging the universe’s greatest pop star along for the ride, makes it something of a forever-milestone.

It’s back to bamboozle us anew, with a re-release on GoG.

It’s been tweaked and prodded to play nice on modern Windowses, though appears unchanged other than that. Your $9.99 gets you assorted making of and concept art whotsits, though sadly there’s no soundtrack or other musical bits in there so no Bowie-noodling for us.

Is it coincidence that this has been re-released hot on the heels of Bowie’s comeback album, The Next Day? Don’t be silly. David Bowie doesn’t allow coincidences. David Bowie has planned and mapped out every single second of human existence until the end of time. David Bowie is directing my hand as I write these words. David Bowie is your real mum and dad.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. brulleks says:

I wish David Bowie was our real Dad.

But then, if he was, he’d owe a hell of a lot in maintenance back payments.

Shame it doesn’t sound as though they’ve changed some of the horrible control schemes in the game (particularly for the minigames). That was the one thing that aggravated me about it – that and a couple of objectives that were near-impossible to find.

• frightlever says:

I tried playing if a few, a fair few, years ago and gave up quite quickly. Was a pig to control. No fun at all. Never tried it with a controller though. Maybe that’d be better as it was a console game.

• TheManko says:

It’s a PC game. They ported it to Dreamcast a year after the PC release.

• frightlever says:

I did not know that. Must’ve assumed it was a console port at the time I played it from the way it handled. Huh. Makes the controls kinda inexplicable then.

• Wreckdum says:

Holy crap I remember this game…. I bought it right when it released in 1999. Damnnnnnnnnn that is a nostalgia trip.

2. Ravenholme says:

My best mate at school was called David Bowie – I think his Dad was called David Bowie too.

Also, I remember this game. It was completely mad.

3. Drake Sigar says:

How the hell did they get this working on modern operating systems?!

4. Inigo says:

1999: Quick, no time to explain – I need to you astrally project your soul into this game and possess my body to investigate a series of murders!

2010: JASON JASON JASON JASON JASON JASON JASON

What happened?

• Knufinke says:

You forgot 2005: A murder mystery turns into mayans fighting the personified internet Dragonball Z style…

Edit: And I can’t even remember a single line. So that’s what happened.

• Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

My only problem with that was that it was two halves of two games I would have enjoyed. Murder mystery? Fun! Gloriously unhinged lunacy? Also fun. But putting them together was like combining chocolate with electric eels.

• Rise / Run says:

Shockingly delicious? I see no problem.

• The Random One says:

Lord Custard has it right. Many people say that the ending of Fahrenheit is bad, but it isn’t bad per se, it’s just a bad conclusion to the cool weird Twin Peaks in New York thing that comes first. I’d play the fuck out of a game that was about strange factions with inane supernatural powers, one of which is literally the Internet, playing Dragonball Z in New York.

5. zachforrest says:

I wuzza walking, down the highstreet

Obligatory

6. deke913 says:

I still have the original disc for this. I was so mad that my system wasn’t powerful enough to run it back then. Now my cell phone has 10 times more power than that PC. Crazy.

7. baozi says:

and what a lovely name.
    the nomad soul, i mean.

8. db1331 says:

I didn’t realize Cage worked on this. The garbage that spews from his mouth is so utterly idiotic that I don’t think I could ever play one of his games just on principle.

9. TheManko says:

Loved this game. Every single element of it is a bit shoddy, but I don’t care!

10. uNapalm says:

My PC at the time it was released couldn’t run this game. Every now and then over the passed few years I would check and see if this game was ‘available’ anywhere but never any joy. GoG come to the rescue once again and totally out of the blue too.

11. Rao Dao Zao says:

I was going to make a joke about Life on Mars because of the Bowie connection, then I read the blurb and… that IS the story?!

12. ChromeBallz says:

Very good memories about this game… Severely underrated. Despite it’s obvious flaws it was a very ambitious project – It’s got an excellent story aswell. Bowie is just a cherry on the top.

13. Ridye says:

Never had the chance to play it back when it was released. Pretty sure my PC then would not be able to handle it either. In any case, absolulety great news.

And..for a 14 year old game, (graphically) it seems to have aged well.

14. oceanclub says:

For some reason I kept thinking this had already been released, then realised I was confusing it with that voxel game Outcast, already released on GOG.

15. Skabooga says:

Frankly, I’m offended that there aren’t more articles with the David Bowie tag. Perhaps the only way to remedy this is to put David Bowie in more games.

• Baf says:

Well, hey, now that Michael Jackson is gone, there’s a vacancy for the celebrity phone-in cameo in the next Space Channel 5 sequel, if there’s ever another Space Channel 5 sequel.

They wouldn’t even have to call him “Space David Bowie” because he’s already space.

16. Kefren says:

I bought the CD that had the tracks on, it is the excellent. The 1999 ‘Hours’ album. I got the version with the bonus CD of remixes.

17. Siresly says:

Don’t know what’s so special about David Bowie being in a videogame. David Bowie is in every videogame ever.

18. Maxheadroom says:

This was great! At least that’s how I remember it.
    Wasnt there a really silly sex scene where 2 people just mashed against each other with all their clothes on?

19. Surlywombat says:

Was a bit weird two games coming out about swapping between bodies happened at the same time, but if memory serves this came out around the same time as Shiny’s Messiah.

Back in the day I went with the cherub based body hopper, maybe its time to pick this one up.

20. Hilden2000 says:

Surprised this was noticed by RPS yet Severance: Blade of Darkness flew under their radar..

21. kwyjibo says:

This is by far the best thing David Cage has done.

22. jussipe says:

Re-releasing this is like putting out fire with gasoline.

23. Keroton says:

Such a great game.

I remember in the foreign press when i was reading about omikron being announced, it had so much of that Peter Molyneux charm to it, it promised so many wild things following the whole 1999 make everything interactive trend, every building will be usable, you can interact with anything, you can talk to anyone on the street everyone is important. When i finally played it years later it wasn’t exactly like that but it still did shitload of that stuff. My first memories of being overwhelmed by such a concept happened with this game, while free roaming the city you could do so much things, enter not every building but quite a lot of them and find nothing except maybe some story logs or newspapers from the future.

On the other side the whole adventure, fps, fighting game was really hard to follow, and those controls :(

Still such an amazing game, the first time you lose your main character and realise that he is just a part of the story, that the soul will travel into another vehicle that you can play with was amazing.

I still have the original discs but i guess im gonna have to replay it now with all the fun memories popping up.

24. TWChristine says:

This makes me want to re-install the game and give it a whirl again. And maybe actually get somewhere with it. I was really interested with the idea that the adverts claimed “Change your body with anyone at anytime!” but then it turned out that you could only do it certain times or some such. Or “When you die, the game doesn’t end..you take on the life of the first person to touch you!” Maybe I was doing something wrong, but whenever I died, I had to restart. Then again, I’m trying to remember a game experience from 13 years ago that I didn’t do much with because I was so utterly lost! It was still an awesome concept, and fun to run around for a bit.

25. bill says:

I actually remember that intro almost shot for shot.

I think that’s because i had the demo on the cover disc, and it sounded like such an awesome game. And it was so bad.
    So I kept re-trying it and never getting very far. But I saw that into a hundred times.

26. BlackAlpha says:

Seriously, they need to recreate that game. It’s one of the best games I’ve ever played. The main thing that makes the game great is the universe and atmosphere. I still remember some of the sound effects… and those underground concerts. Everything about that game was so far ahead of its time, it was amazing.

27. morbius says:

Great feel to the game, great atmosphere, decent story, but very hard fighting due to clunky controls, hard and illogical adventuring elements and puzzles, and worst of all, repetitiveness because after changing the body you had to grind back lost abilities in the training rooms. It’s a game that tried being great adventure, FPS and beat-em-up all in one, but failed. Shame, if it was made a bit better, this game could have been a classic.

Comment on this story