BAFTA Chat: A Couple Of Hours With Ken Levine

By John Walker on March 18th, 2013 at 9:00 am.

Last week BioShock’s Ken Levine appeared at BAFTA to give a presentation on “the mission of Irrational Games”, and of course to talk about BioShock: Infinite. This was followed by being interviewed on stage by the very lovely Mr Simon Parkin, for an hour. Why am I telling you? Because you can now watch the entire thing, just below this sentence.

I think what we can most learn from this is that BAFTA needs some new chairs. And their wifi password. But also, a ton of great discussion about the process of creating games, and the philosophy of Levine’s process.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. CaspianRoach says:

I dozed off when the guy started asking him about his life. Are there any topical questions after that?

• Low Life says:

There’s this nice slider that allows you to skip to any point in the video, it can be quite useful at times.

They talk about 5-10 minutes about his early life, then 15 minutes about his career; rest of the video (like, from 1h 5min forward) is mostly Q&A with the audience.

2. Jambe says:

For more Levine-chat, one might check out the Irrational Podcasts. Last one was in April of last year, but I liked them all. Well-produced and interesting; I especially enjoyed the Guillermo del Toro two-part interview.

• int says:

Yes that one was amazing. Makes me want a del Toro-Levine movie and game!

• RagingLion says:

I would also highly recomend that series of Podcasts. Some great deep thoughts on the creative process among other things.

• protospork says:

I discovered those podcasts and listened through all of them right before the last one came out. Still waiting for an update :(

3. Kobest says:

Can’t really watch the video from work, but from all the interviews and such, I just hope Bioshock Infinite will introduce some new things apart from the usual System Shock 1-2 routine i.e. alone in a hazardous environment, being guided by a voice, and so on.

The townfolk of Columbia sure seems like a good addon though! Looking forward to get home from work, fire up the computer and spend some time in Columbia on 26th March! :)

• Low Life says:

From what I understand Elizabeth will be at your side pretty much the entire time, so it’s already breaking the mold in that sense. And yeah, not everyone on Columbia is out there to kill you either, which seems nice.

4. Arbodnangle Scrulp says:

BAFTA is UK slang for “fart”.

“I did a bafta!”

• cptgone says:

you baftard!
      btw did you know your nick is slang for burp colander?

5. Gamboni says:

There’s what sounds something like a barrel organ playing Girls Just Want to Have Fun in the background of the beach scene at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Efv9Mgwk8SU&feature=player_embedded#t=2214s. This game is going to be special isn’t it.

6. cptgone says:

(reply fail – nothing to see here. sorry!)

7. Hoaxfish says:

To me at least, all these “companion piece” things that come with Bafta’s awards are much more interesting to the industry than some of the screaming monkey school of awards we see elsewhere.

8. sockpuppetclock says:

great, when is his autobiography going into print?? has the official ken levine wiki gone live yet???

9. Viper50BMG says:

Got 20 seconds in and have to ask: Do Britons always say “www” as “wuh-wuh-wuh”? Across the pond we say “double-U double-U double-U” and it takes longer, but doesn’t sound nearly as strange.

Rikard Peterson says:

A shortening that takes much longer to say than its original form amuses me.

(But saying “world wide web dot rock paper shotgun dot com” would probably be confusing, so… I remember reading a suggestion in the early days of the internet that w should be pronounced as “wub”.)

• Low Life says:

I’m not British so I can’t comment on that, but I usually say “WAAGH! WAAGH! WAAAAGH!”.

10. napoleon_in_rags says:

I can’t express how freakin’ excited I am for this game.

Drayk says:

I can’t believe I just watched the whole damn interview… It’s was interesting though. Can’t wait to try Bioshock infinite.

12. KenTWOu says:

Not enough hours with Ken Levine, I want more!