Eurogamer & Rock, Paper, Shotgun’s Rezzed Is Back!

By RPS on March 18th, 2013 at 11:31 am.

After furiously hammering on F9, we’re excited to report that what is obviously the world’s greatest PC-dedicated gaming event, Rezzed, is back for 2013. And it’s bigger and better than last year. Or at least our tummies are. This June, specifically the 22nd and 23rd most days of it, the NEC in Birmingham will house the best of this year’s PC gaming, hands on with unreleased games, developer sessions, and actual RPS writers in the huggable flesh. Oh, and only Chris Avellone and Ragnar Tørnquist already announced as being there.

Rezzed is a gaming show actually about games you want to play. Imagine it! We also get guests you want to listen to, and disgusting free drinks you want to put in the bin. We were so pleased with 2012′s, how open and friendly it was, and just how much everyone present cared about the games they were either showing or playing. We want to see that happen all over again. The same mix of indies and AAA games, given the same billing, the same attention. And the Leftfield Collection will be back too, providing floor space to projects that would otherwise never get near a major exhibition like this.

There will obviously be far more news announced about the event as we get nearer to the dates, but we’ve already got a whole bunch of exciting features to reveal. [Shows shoulder].

Already confirmed for presenting sessions are the mighty Chris Avellone, talking about Project Eternity, the tall and handsome Ragnar Tørnquist, Dag Scheve, and Martin Bruusgaard discussing Dreamfall Chapters, and the lovely Tom Betts from somewhere called “Little Robot” will be presenting on indie obscurity Sir, You Are Being Hunted. There will also be a joint session between Ridiculous Fishing’s Vlambeer and Dennaton of Hotline Miami, yet to be explained. Oh, and RPS’s own aggressively hairy John Walker will be hosting The Rock, Paper, Shotgun 100th Anniversary Tribute Show.

After last year’s excellent show in Brighton, the success means it’s moving to bigger, more central territory, occupying Birmingham’s NEC. 10,000 gamers are expected to pass through the doors over the two days, which are now far more conveniently located on the weekend. It’ll be a really very reasonable £12 for a day, or £20 for the pair, with 25% off that if you book before 30th April. And there are group discounts too, we’re told. You can buy tickets now! You should!

RPS will be there, hiding in corners, scared of the lights. But tempt us out with biscuits and compliments, and we can prove surprisingly tame.

, .

1. Ayam says:

“The Rock, Paper, Shotgun 100th Anniversary Tribute Show” – Time flies when you’re having this much fun.

RaveTurned says:

Only 100th? What happened to the other 40 years? Or were 40 Anniversary Tribute Shows cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances?

• The Dark One says:

I hope John drags Nick along for a live Rum Doings. He could make a sarcastic remark about pandering to big publishers, then John could point out all the indie games also at Rezzed. Nick would fire back with some libelous comment and John’s voice would rise an octave while defending the artistic merit of a cream tea game. Nick would slightly narrow his gaze and remain thoroughly unconvinced.

Shockeh says:

I’m really glad to see you guys have gone for somewhere more central this year. As someone Up’t Norf, I’m much more likely to attend, summer plans permitting. Hope to meet you guys there!

Shockeh says:

Replying to myself – Any possibility of shindigs occuring at an evening venue between the two days?

• Excelle says:

Agreed, I’m in the Midlands and I can only go to Eurogamer because I can get free accommodation with a friend and the tickets are so cheap. Gettting down to London (and further!) is expensive.

Up with this kinda thing.

• wodin says:

Liverpool here..

3. Low Life says:

Could you push it back a month so I can come? Cheers.

Petethegoat says:

Which RPS writers will be present and huggable? The people need to know.

5. mickygor says:

Sweet, I’ll be there :D

cairbre says:

I might try and go if Ryanair can get me there cheap from Ireland

7. Meat Circus says:

Sexytime. John done so many hugs last year it WASN’T HUMAN.

Sarigs says:

Bah kinda gutted it’s not at Brighton again tbh, yeah I know Birmingham is more central but still Brighton was just down the road from me! Shall have to um and ah for a month or two about this one!

Coccyx says:

Excellent! That’s right outside my Wulfrunian front door, unlike the pilgrimage I had to make to Brighton last year. I’ll be there.

Crimsoneer says:

Awww, Birmingham? That’s practically The North. My London-centrism makes me sad.

11. lordcooper says:

I had a great time last year and will definitely be popping in again. Location’s a lot more friendly for us Welshies too :)

12. OverTheGun says:

Ragnar is a beast of a name.. very Space Wolf.

The NEC’s a solid venue as well, central/easily got to and doesn’t require the navigation of London, which can be a frustrating exercise if you’re not from there.

The last time I went to the NEC was for a photography exhibition.. needless to say, Rezzed sounds a lot more entertaining ;)

Durkonkell says:

Man, the location, date and the fact that it’s on a weekend are probably good for most people, but they actually make it much more difficult for me to attend! I already have two weekends booked as holiday in June. I must now try to convince my employers to give me a third weekend which means I won’t be able to take any more holiday between now and June. Bah.

Last year was great. I’ll try to come if I can.

amateurviking says:

YES! And in Birmingham too! So I can commute from my ivory tower. This is great!

Steed says:

Will there be Rome 2: TW?

if yes then FlingMoneyAtScreen

if no then BuggerWithMarmiteStick

16. solidsquid says:

Should those be chocolate digestive biscuits or ginger snaps? Or would bourbons do the job?

17. Cobote says:

Hammering F9 does nothing for me but constantly loading the last quicksave.

18. Creeping Death says:

Bah Birmingham means this is an absolute impossibility for me :( shame, last year was awesome

The Sombrero Kid says:

Who do I talk to if i’m interested in exhibiting?

20. Nashua says:

It is going to be a long journey all the way from the Netherlands, but i will be there! Cant wait to meet some of the RPSMumble guys in person!

21. jayc4life says:

Hoping I can make it over from Ireland for this, but holding out to see if Paradox are bringing Europa Universalis IV. The Dennaton vs Vlambeer panel should be excellent.

22. Kamos says:

Tempted to go… Then again, I’d have to fly 10 thousand kilometers.

23. agauntpanda says:

I hope to attend again! Last year’s was a lot of fun.

24. Excelle says:

All abroad types – Birmingham NEC is literally right next to Birmingham airport, so if you’re flying in, you’ll land within walking distance of the event (I’m a local!). You may not even have to go outside *sunlight hissss*