Enter, Stranger: Legend Of Grimrock Reworked

By Cara Ellison on March 19th, 2013 at 10:00 am.

Man this is going to take a lot of beer to have me want to go home with him
For those of you that haven’t tried out Almost Human’s dungeoneering masterpiece Legend of Grimrock, shame on you, and a pox on both your houses, and oh fie is me, and please try it, it is nice. But for those hungry for more of the wonderful dank atmosphere, creepy monsters and surprisingly sexy stone walls, you can grab this new mod reworking the original maps whilst we await the second installment.

Komag over at Nexusmods has popped up to say:

This project began as a precise re-creation of the original Legend of Grimrock dungeon with all its puzzles and scripting, largely as an exercise in mastering the editor. As I neared completion of that monumental task, I asked myself “Self, aren’t people bored of the original game by now?”. So I figured, why not pull a “Zelda” and create a changed-up re-imagined harder version and call it the Master Quest?

There are some known issues (mostly with how dreams work and how the final boss interaction and battle works), but for the most part things will feel very familiar to the original game while offering a ton of fresh changes and cool extras to give you a revitalized Legend of Grimrock experience!

Feel free to contact me (official Grimrock forums) with any comments or bugs/problems you find, how you liked or didn’t like the puzzles, clues, fights, story, etc, or anything else.

The modders have been knocking up a ‘Legend of Grimrock on steroids’ calling it Legend of Grimrock: Master Quest, in that they’ve put tons of new puzzles in, updated the dungeon designs, added story elements. There are stronger monsters (eep!) and more of the bastards to yell zoiks at, difficulty and XP has had a dramatic scale re-haul, and it’s been made so that you can import your original dungeon Scooby Gang and go on more adventures. You can grab it here.

The mod team also employed the services of someone called ‘Dr Disaster’ to help QA the thing. What a legend.

Sounds like a beefed up Knightmare with more graphicsability. I can’t wait to get started on this – though I have only just started the original. John (and by extension his dad) tells me I am in for a treat.

PS Every time someone says ‘dungeon party’ I think of all of my friends in a Legend of Grimrock backdrop with party poppers and wine. Now I also imagine Dr Disaster there with a party hat on, sort of a bit like The Fast Show’s Unlucky Alf, in that he has just stood in a bear trap and then fallen down a well.

Oh bugger.

, , , , , .

1. Zogtee says:

* Base difficulty level is increased:
    * Trickier puzzles

…and that’s me out. I love exploring dungeons, but hate puzzles.

• Risingson says:

To me, it depends on the puzzles. I love riddles and experimentation, I hate pushing a lever and a door opening in the other side of the map (as it happened in Riven).

AlwaysRight says:

It’s amazing how few puzzles there are in real life dungeons.

• Berzee says:

The designers of real-life dungeons always seem to want to restrict access based on who possess some arbitrary and easily-lost-or-stolen-or-duplicated “key” object,

instead of restricting access based on who possesses the keenest mind and worthiest wits.

• mrmalodor says:

What the fuck is the point of exploring dungeons if you don’t like puzzles? Phat loot? In Grimrock? LOL.

phlebas says:

Could be worse, I like puzzles but don’t like fighting.

• finbikkifin says:

Fun combat (in games which actually have fun combat) and mapping/exploration. Some minor puzzles are one thing, but I’d rather have a big underground labyrinth to explore and map out and see the sights in than a puzzle based on timing and firebolts. Loot is… eh. I’m not going to pick up every rusty short sword and leather jacket unless the game forces me to, and I’ll resent it if it does, and more powerful items don’t do much for me either.

Demise: Ascension is incredible for this, but even Dark Souls did it better than Grimrock for me in some of its more dungeony areas. The maps were small and not that complicated in the end, but a few times I almost felt the urge to break out the graph paper. Hell, I even found Oblivion’s caves and dungeons more fun than Grimrock’s, and I loathe Elder Scrolls combat.

That’s why I like dungeons in games – to explore them. The more complicated puzzles and game-mechanical trickery involved, the less fun I have. I’m glad that other people feel differently and have fun with games that I don’t, though!

2. B1A4 says:

I am just killing blue velociraptors at level 8, but I am torned by this game. I like what I see, but the class and XP systems are awful. If there is a mod to make it more like Dungeon Master systems, I’d love it.

jrodman says:

Yeah, fix the character mechanics, please.
      Then fix the too-fast combat.

3. Pemptus says:

Komag as in legendary-Thief-fanmission-scene-person Komag? Count me in.

Although I should probably finish the base game first, I guess. I think I stopped at level 5 or 6 or something. The overall game is stellar, but the character progression system is pretty broken and uninspired.

4. Meat Circus says:

Oooh, nasty.

5. The Godzilla Hunter says:

Is there a mod that gets rid of spiders? I do not have arachnophobia, spiders in games seriously freak me out. For instance I could not finish Dark Messiah, and the Deep Roads in Dragon Age was a test of my endurance. In short: screw spiders.

• Prolar Bear says:

Seconded, I got gifted this game but I haven’t even installed it because the spiders look so goddamn scary.

• Fartango says:

I believe there is a mod that replaces all the spiders with Cows on Ye olde Skateboards.

6. MuscleHorse says:

I’m a knight, this is my mare; it’s Knightmare.

7. deke913 says:

Please make a mod that gives true mouselook. Love the game though and will be trying this.

8. Jack-Dandy says:

Fuck yeah, I in.

DrScuttles says:

It’s also on the Steam Workshop for those who abhor manually installing mods. Or just for those who feel that after more than a decade of manually installing mods, it’s about bloody time that those mods installed themselves.

10. DestructibleEnvironments says:

You should probably state in the title that this is a mod – And not by the original developers. I thought they made an “enhanced edition” for the game. :(