Nihilistic New Metro: Last Light Gameplay Trailer

By Cara Ellison on March 19th, 2013 at 6:30 pm.

He's just doing a Darth Vader impression

Gritty-looking Russian-accented choochoo-themed tunnel shooter Metro: Last Light was bought from THQ by Deep Silver, and will come out in North America on May 14th and everywhere else May 17th, which is weird because we live in an electronic age and I am an electronic girl and everything-should-come-out-at-once please. Anyway, here is a new trailer for it. It looks a bit chilly in that there Russia, and everything seems to have a rust problem.

From what Alec saw when the game had a more uncertain future, the game seems particularly weapon-interested, in that the guns have been fetishised more than Lara’s arse. You can read of Alec’s brainthoughts here.

I hear it will be playable at PAX East (none of the RPSers are attending unfortunately) so if you want to get some play time in head along to Boston where I hear you can get a COAFEE. And obviously Metro: Last Light.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. RaytraceRat says:

Err… where is that “gameplay” in this “Gameplay Trailer” ?

• CaspianRoach says:

Metro: Last Light is actually a super advanced flying camera pan man simulator in which you get points for doing extra cool shots and comboing them together with inception horn.

• Synesthesia says:

Ha! Somebody make this, please!

• Ultra Superior says:

Oh yes, your weapon is an inception horn that causes AWE on any nearby NPC faces – there is also camera weapon called the “monster roar” which you must sound every time you fly into giant monster’s mouth! ROOAAARRR !

Not to mention rapid firing dubstep weapon that makes rapid cuts to fast-switch between all the game’s action moments.

2. SuperNashwanPower says:

1:23 Gordonov Freemanski

• S Jay says:

Had the same impression.

• lijenstina says:

Two surnames? Gordonov is a surname too. Is that some kind of a philosophical statement about how the offspring defines the parents too as much the other way around ?

• SuperNashwanPower says:

I see, thanks :)

• Mister Yuck says:

Don’t forget that “ski” is the Polish version of the ending. So what you have here is the son of a Russian guy named Gordon who is a Polish nobleman from the Freeman family or clan. Or, possibly, since “Freeman” doesn’t sound much like a Polish clan, he’s from a common family who made up a surname with the noble signifier on the ending when they immigrated to Chicago and bought some land, like half the people in my town did. So Gordonov Freemanski is a guy with Russian and Polish heritage whose fourth-generation-American parents settled in the Northwest suburbs of Chicago and wanted their kid’s name to represent their families heritage even though they didn’t know too much about it. Probably he was just out of school and visiting Moscow to reconnect with his roots when the apocalypse happened.

Sounds pretty reasonable to me.

3. ZIGS says:

Needs more Inception horn

4. roryok says:

Food for five years. 1000 gallons of gas. Air filtration, water filtration, Geiger counter. Bomb shelter.

Underground goddamn Nazis.

5. coldvvvave says:

“Oh, the Humanity!” (c) Doomguy

Seriously, I hope this game gets bashed as much as Crysis 3 for taking itself too seriously.

• Squirly says:

What if this takes itself seriously but doesn’t come off as ham-fisted and clumsy?

• coldvvvave says:

It already looks and sounds as clumsy as the first one if not worse.

• TheRealHankHill says:

The books and the first game are some of the pest pieces of media I have every experienced. Git out of here.

• Njordsk says:

I like the tone of this and appreciate it looking “serious”.

Yes a game with nanosuit flying guy can’t be serious, but this? Why not?

6. phelix says:

Last time I checked gunplay wasn’t Metro 2033′s strong point.

• analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

Which gun?

• rei says:

Last time I checked it totally was. I finished it several times just to focus on different weapons, since most of them played very differently.

7. Hunchback says:

Never really played any of the Metro games. Are they any good, at all?

• VelvetFistIronGlove says:

There is only one (before this one that’s not yet out). It’s very good—but not at all perfect. It tries a lot of things: some of them it succeeds at brilliantly (atmosphere, gasmask, weapon design). Others it succeeds at but is not very good at letting the player know about it (stealth, enlightenment). And some things it does a little bit poorly (enemy design, repetition, bullets-as-currency).

I totally recommend it.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

Personally found it boring and the voice acting awful (except the lead character). I have been meaning to play it again to find out if maybe I was just in a bad mood when I last played, but yeah. I gave up on it about 3/4 of the way through as I couldn’t be bothered to drag myself through it.

Others here seem to love it though, so YMMV

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

It’s best played with original voices and subtitles. I don’t mean that in some kind of otaku purist kind of way, just that those actors are much better, or at least since you don’t understand the language they seem better. (or wait, is that why the otaku purists say that?)

• SuperNashwanPower says:

Hell yeah. The moment I met the Amerussian boy who sounded like he was trying not to vomit, I switched to English subs with russian voices. Listening to it was making me sympatho-gag.

• darkChozo says:

…I think I just got flashbacks to that voice. And I haven’t played Metro since, what, 2010?

• ShowMeTheMonkey says:

Yeah, pr0tip: Russian voices.

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

I guess there’s only 1 right now (2033).
      It’s a scary monster shooter with much narrative and atmosphere. The graphics are still modern and really impressive, but it requires quite a machine to see it that way. It does some really cool things with the objectives and map screens and has a few other ideas that are notable.
      If you like scary monster FPS games you will love it, I’m 95% sure. So if you don’t like those games you will love it, I’m 50% sure. So I guess it’s like a 72.5 good game.

• analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

Hell YES!! Just finished it for the 4th time yesterday. Only STALKER(not COP) , DOOM(not 3/4), Thief, Far Cry ONE!!, Crysis ONE!!, HL1,2(1,2,3) beat it for replays!

Edit: Shit forgot FEAR ONE!!(and 2 to a lesser extent)

• darkChozo says:

IMO, it’s a game that really, really sells itself on its atmosphere. The mechanics are workable, not bad but not enough to make the game good on their own. But the atmosphere is amazing, it really nails a kind of dark, dirty, desolate feel that not a lot of games can do properly.

• Arglebargle says:

Yeah, good atmosphere, on-rails poor gameplay was my experiance of it. Deleted it less than halfway through. My expectations probably didn’t help: What I wanted was another Stalker.

• Convolvulus says:

It takes place largely in a subway system, so you should’ve expected linear level design and on-rails segments.

• Hunchback says:

You guys got me all interested in it and all… Like i haven’t got tons of other stuff to play already :/

And OFC i like scary monster shooters. Well, i prefer non-scary monster shooters maybe, like HL or Stalker, but still… atmosphere-based games are usually >>> other games.

I wish i could finally find a job so that i could actually have an excuse not to play and finish most good games out there… *ponder*

• Ignorant Texan says:

Hunchback -

Metro 2033 seems to be perpetually on sale for ~5USD from one of the usual suspects. It is definitely worth that. I highly recommend it, although it seems to be a game people either really, really like, or they really, really don’t. It’s on rails(some sections do allow different paths and approaches), the atmosphere is incredible, it has some jinky actiony-bits(rail car, anyone?), some QTEs, and an aggravating check-point save system. You need to monitor your filters for the gas-mask in toxic environments, and ammunition(bullets double as currency) is limited, except the few times it isn’t(a couple wave-o-baddies shooting from fixed guns). It has a morality system that I found subtle, which people some think is incompletely explained. I recommend playing it on one of the ranger modes.

UPDATE: If you’re expecting S.T.A.L.K.E.R, you’ll be disappointed, although some of the development team worked on the first S.T.A.L.K.E.R..

8. fallingmagpie says:

I was expecting the facial animation to be a lot better than that, for some reason. Also this trailer gives me zero idea what the game is about. Killing all of those guys in the video?

• SuperNashwanPower says:

Previous videos have looked way better, though they had a PC focus. It may be that following it being sold to new backers, its been dialled back to work better with previous gen consoles. That said, some of the older footage is in there too.

9. rockman29 says:

Their survival plan doesn’t look very positive without any women… how are they supposed to reproduce? Lol.

• TheManko says:

There were plenty of women in Metro 2033, so I’m guessing they’re staying home while the men murder each other in the tunnels.

• Brun says:

In before game is sexist.

• TheManko says:

I’d say the game is probably intentionally so, as the smaller towns in the tunnels reminded me a bit of hunter/gatherer societies, while the larger settlements were communists, nazis and the roman empire. I haven’t read the book, but it wouldn’t surprise me if that was the general idea behind the design of the world in the metro. It’s the world of the past, playing out once again in various forms.

• rockman29 says:

Haha OK fair enough, I still need to play Metro 2033 after getting that THQ HB :)

My jesting was simply at the trailer, if anyone needs to know though :P

• SuperNashwanPower says:

There are women in the hallway / speech scene, at least in the old versions of the footage of that part
      EDIT: Actually WTF? There’s loads of women in it

• Zogtee says:

Looks like they have a Chosen One (TM). I’m sure he will fix everything.

• Joshua says:

That “Chosen one” appears to be a dark one, judged on how the eye shot looks.

Which is fairly interesting, since Metro 2033 usually ends with the Dark Ones getting nuked (and that is the canon ending on top).

10. Mr. Mister says:

If you want to help cutting the atlantic frontier, wait’til Friday to buy it, regardless of where you are.
    Who am I kidding…

11. analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

One thing that REALLY worries me if that is a gameplay trailer, the guys advancing with the riotshields.

This says cover mechanics, OMG!!

• Chickenfeed says:

What’s wrong with cover mechanics?

• Cytrom says:

Well if you got some common sense you will automatically get behind a solid object while you are under fire, without anyone telling you to do so (or a quicktime event / script DOING IT FOR YOU).

I survived the omaha beach landing in Medal of Honor Allied Assault without any stupid cover mechanic gimmick and I still remember that sense of achievement I felt when I finally arrived at the relative safety of the bunkers after barely making it out alive from that bullet hell beach (there was no regenerating health either obviously), many years later today as if I was a real war veteran with flashbacks. That’s how personal, and powerful games used to be before they turned into this “cinematic experience” garbage where the game plays itself for you because it assumes you are a complete retard (and probably assumes correctly for most of the gamers of this generation…), and your gameplay is not the result of your own actions or choices anymore.

• Chickenfeed says:

But… The AI is using cover, not the player. NPCs using cover is a good thing.

• darkChozo says:

Um, what? Cover systems aren’t cinematic, they’re an attempt to rectify the clunkiness of the traditional “my character is incapable of looking over this wall without revealing his entire torso” system. They barely streamline gameplay (the only “advantages” I see are that you don’t have to be as close to a wall to take cover and that you can’t accidentally slide out of cover as easily), and they do lead to some additional gameplay elements (blindfire). They certainly are not comparable to QTEs; player input is very close to being identical whether you’re using a cover system or not.

That’s not to say that cover systems are perfect, or even good. They usually break down far too easily and often result in chest high wall syndrome in level design. But they’re not really a result of what-i’m-going-to-refer-to-as-consolidation-for-lack-of-a-better-word.

(I’m so tempted to make a comparison to mouselook but am going to resist the urge to directly do so)

• Totally heterosexual says:

So you did not use cover in metro 2033?

• Runs With Foxes says:

He probably hid behind cover using the movement and crouch keys like we’ve been doing in videogames for a long time, instead of relying on a Press X To Hug Crate ability.

• Totally heterosexual says:

Well im just a bit confused sine his post made it seem like he opposed cover in any form.

Hug cover mechanics hardly ever work in first person but it’s not the only way to do cover mechanics.

• Chickenfeed says:

I was confused too, I thought maybe I had misread it or something. Atleast I know someone else doesn’t understand whether he is for or against cover mechanics…

The riot shield scene is AI using cover, not the player. That’s why the original comment is… odd.

• Panda Powered says:

First person cover mechanics could probably be improved if developers can do something better than camera-in-the-torso with a floating gun.
            Maybe if Oculus VR takes off and some FP-games are made for it they can make a proper way to have cover and peek around corners to shoot. Just some speculation.
            The over-obvious chest-high cover design is pretty cheap and the third-person glue cover is probably worse.
            But I should say that I did enjoy the R6 Vegas games and Brothers in Arms for what they were but It’s far from ideal.

• analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

God there are some pedants on here. Yes I use cover, as has been mentioned by sensible people, by using crouch, NOT using a bound key to go into cover.

The riot sheilds in FEAR 3(that the baddies drop and you can then use) gave me the nighmare that it will have the same sort of cover mechanics.

• Sardukar says:

Cover mechanics badly abused me as a child. I…still can’t talk about it.

12. Muzman says:

Russian Nazis is almost the perfect video game villain.
    Once we hit Russian Nazi Zombies and their Alien pets it will create some kind of singularty/katamari ball of all shooters and we will be left playing casual games and Tricky Truck forever

13. mrd says:

So… does this game totally ignore 2033 or which ending does it follow on from coz that was a pretty significant difference at the end.

• analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

Follows on from after you destroy the Darkones

14. barney says:

Loads of people firing entire clips into prone captives! Lines of soldiers advancing through walls of firepower! Video games are so cool!

This looks to be to Metro 2033 what Dead Space 3 was to Dead Space: shooting is awesome, shame we’re saddled with this really interesting story.