Drip Feed: Rain World

By Cara Ellison on March 20th, 2013 at 8:00 am.

Is Rain World just codename for Scotland?
Doing my duty finding you brilliant and beautiful things has never been more pleasurable than when I found news of Rain World on the TIGForums today. It is a little sneak-action platformer with physics-based creatures, and I am in deeply in love with the art style.

Mysterious art-backgrounded developer JLJac has been posting his/her progress with Rain World’s adorable platforming and fast paced sneaking. Confessing that “a lot of focus in the development has been on enemy AI”, the developer outlines his/her pathfinding mechanics and work on a level editor. “I like 2D, single screen multiplayer games as they according to me have all the feats of a board game as well as those of a computer game. The players have complete overview of the play area, and can shout stuff at each other while interacting in the game world.” Eventually, JLJac wants to enable players to make their own levels in the level editor. Says the developer, his/her characters are “not animated by traditional means but with simple physics. This is an attempt to make a character that appears a little softer, as well as an experiment with a different control scheme.”

Neon pretty

JLJac goes on to talk a little bit about the creature eco-system the game will have:

The game will have three types of creatures in it. I won’t go in to detail on how I plan to design them visually, that’s not entirely worked out yet and will hopefully be an exciting surprise. Together the creatures will form a little eco system, where creature B eats creature A and creature C eats creature B. B, the player, is in the middle of this food chain, and the gameplay will consist of trying to hunt while at the same time avoiding to be eaten.

A is a flying creature, that can move quickly and reach every part of the map.

B, let’s call it “the Bear” because of its ears, is a running and jumping creature, with medium mobility and probably also access to most of the map, as maps will be designed mainly from this creature’s perspective. This is the player avatar in the game world.

C, let’s call it “the Croc” is a crawling, climbing creature that can’t jump, and is somewhat less mobile than the bear. This one will come in a few sub-species, some of which will be capable of wall climbing, increasing access the different areas of the map. They will have different stats and abilities and be threatening in different ways.

cute prototype physics bears

Currently the game is ‘under construction’ though the developer states “I post updates more or less every day, and am making slow but steady progress”, but I emphasise: if you or anyone you know is JLJac, get in touch! I want to email them! This looks great! Great! Okay, I’ll stop now.

, , .

1. mondomau says:

Love the style, the co-op element (?) looks fun too. Would be good if you could keep us updated if you get hold of the dev, I’d be very interested to know when / how I can buy this.

• tobecooper says:

I love the style and would like to hear more too. But I don’t think we should wish Cara upon anyone. When she’ll get to that poor dev she will start asking strange questions and transform the interview into a spiritual journey to the mount Britney. I’ve seen that happen and it’s not pretty.

• sjebran3 says:

If you think Carl`s story is cool…, 2 weaks-ago my cousins boyfriend basically brought in $4653 putting in ninteen hours a week at home and they’re neighbor’s step-mother`s neighbour was doing this for three months and recieved a check for more than $4653 in their spare time On their laptop. applie the tips from this site,,,,, http://www.Fly38.COm/

• Robert_Starr says:

just as Angela answered I’m surprised that a person able to get paid $7433 in one month on the internet. have you read this web site… http://www.miniurl.com/sa/work-at-home

2. Mbaya says:

Those bear/otter/racoon/redpanda/Horace critters are adorable, especially when backing up. But crikey, they’re vicious little blighters…

Looks like a very sweet game though, hope we get to read more about it.

• Rensdyr says:

I first red beards..and I think that’s what they are.

• Jae Armstrong says:

My first thought was “ferrets”. Or possibly “weasels”. Definitely some manner of mustelid.

3. One Million Monkeys says:

Looks fantastic, and has an Another World vipe to it.

Bears with sticks are a dangerous thing, that seems to jumble up the foodchain. Be careful it wont start an armsrace.

4. guygodbois00 says:

I believe this to be somewhat more representable clip:

Longer, at any rate.

5. MaVmAn says:

Lovely little thing.
    I hope he will successfully make a game from this promising prototype.

6. Premium User Badge Klydefrog says:

Did anyone else’s brain break and read the title as ‘Deep Fried’?

• Tams80 says:

It would certainly be in the right tone along with rain and Scotland.

7. Premium User Badge Lambchops says:

That really is rather pretty.. I am intrigued.

8. Cara Ellison says:

With soaring heart, I can tell you that JLJac emailed me! Hurrah. More to follow, I guess :)

9. alms says:

So wait, it’s Mark of the Ninja on a lethal mix of designer drugs?

10. Lev Astov says:

Very interesting. With that fascinating art style, I think they’d do well with a less pixelated look, but that fluid movement really makes up for it.

I’d say the creatures look more like otters than bears.

11. Bobtree says:

The headline reminded me of Risk of Rain, which looks awesome: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?9881-Risk-Of-Rain

12. Lim-Dul says:

I am adamant that the creatures are Ferrets! I showed the footage to my girlfriend, who owns an albino ferret, and she was immediately enthralled by the game. We both want the title to come out (when it’s finished) as soon as possible so we can lay our paws on it!

13. InternetBatman says:

Oh thank God. Finally a decent game on kickstarter. It just dried up in December as anyone with the planning skills necessary to make a good game knew to avoid Christmas and New Years.