If Girl Talk Made Games: DoomRL And GMDoom

By Craig Pearson on March 20th, 2013 at 7:00 pm.

Together at last!
I have two, TWO, things about Doom to show you. This is like being an archaeologist in the jungle and discovering a skellington, but the skellington’s heart is still beating and then, oh noes, there’s a ball chasing me and I’ve dropped my hat and give me back my whip Alfred Molina! This Doom reporting is tough work. No wonder all the journalists from that period are scarred and flinch whenever they hear the game’s name. For the brave, there are two Doom mashups that you should be excited about.

The first is a known entity, Doom The Roguelike. The top-down hell-fighter was just updated with tonnes of new content: “There are several new special levels paired with the old ones for greater randomness! Visit the Military Base, find Mt. Erebus or feel the dread of Limbo. Along with new special levels, there are new level generators and enhancements to the old ones.”

That is exciting, but you’re here for something new, and I aim to deliver it like a BFG blast to the face of a Strider. Now you probably thinking: “The Strider is a character from Half-Life 2, and the BFG is in Doom. It’s too early to be that drunk, surely?” Well I can drink whenever I damn well please! And, yes, the two are generally from different games, but if you have Garry’s Mod then the upcoming gmDoom mod will connect the two in the most remarkable way: “gmDoom is a partial source port of Doom integrated into Garry’s Mod 13. Assets are loaded from an IWAD, and no binary modules are required! This addon will be available through the Steam Workshop.”

Seriously, watch the video below. This isn’t a simple paint job, with the integration bringing the classic Doom UI, weapons, and their chunky blasts into Valve’s grubby future. Then, as if to show how easy it all was, it’s all flipped around and Doom’s monsters are being blasted by Valve’s weapons. It’s still Valve’s levels, but the combination of grimy old school sprites wandering through City 17 just makes it all the more impressive.

gmDoom will be out sometime this week on the Gmod Steam Workshop. In the meantime, you can play with Adrien Brody.

__________________

« | »

, , , , , , .

1. Phantoon says:

I love you for this. The joke at the beginning of the video was perfect. I was hoping it’d happen too, and then it did, and then I giggled.

2. soundofvictory says:

Also doom related: I just recently found out about a crazy Doom mod called Reelism. It turns the game into a sort of SmashTV style arena game with tons of random modifiers and general zaniness.

More can be found here.

3. phuzz says:

I’d forgotten how much I loved the plasma gun in Doom, gotta be one of my top 10 in game weapons.
    pewpewpewpewpewpewpewpewpewpew!

• karry says:

Knowing your usual lexicon, what you wanted to say, of course, was : “Fucking shit, just…fucking yes. Fuck.”, wasnt it ?

4. LionsPhil says:

>That movement speed

Man, between this and Duke today: serious “what the hell HAPPENED to shooters” vibes.

Also, this is amazing.

• Beelzebud says:

“What happened” is that both developers and players starting taking themselves way too seriously.

People forgot it was supposed to be about over-the-top fun. I think this is the real reason TF2 remains popular. We all say it’s hats, but it’s really that it’s the only AAA quality old-school shooter out there. TF2 put fun above realism and seriousness.

• Lambchops says:

Serious Sam series? It’s maybe not quite AAA but it’s not cobbled together in an afternoon either!

• Mario Figueiredo says:

Towards the later years of Doom and Duke Nukem, I distinctly remember FPS being insistingly criticized by the press and players in general for their lack of depth and storytelling. In a time when RPGs were the thing, this did end up having an effect in people’s perception of the more to-the-point FPS. So, it’s not like people didn’t ask for it.

A good answer to this did come in the form of Half-Life. But it’s not like anyone was able to repeat the formula since.

I too long for the return to plain, simple fast and furious FPS. But I do remember me being a critic of it back then, just like everyone else. It’s just that we didn’t know what we were asking.

• Panda Powered says:

To be fair it may be blamed on over-saturation of all the me-too clones in that era (Doom Clones ahoy).
          Just like pretty much every hit in every sector of the entertainment industry; genres move on when hacks copying hacks ruin anything good to the point of crashing it into the ground.
          Whatever it was, is abandoned in favour of the next big thing and only resurface in things wanting to be retro.

P.S. That video got my temporal lobe all tingly. There is still so much feel to that double-barrel shotgun and the little things like seeing those enemies through (kinda) modern 3D glass and whatnot.

5. Nim says:

Great Snakes!!!

6. Ironclad says:

3:40 in that video is all my dreams come true.

7. Tetracell says:

Came to read the article, then spent way too much time on the text adventure error page.

8. mpk says:

OH EM GEE.

The noise of that shotgun makes me feel 16 again.

• particlese says:

Yes!! Although for me, it’s the super shotgun. That fire-reload loop is so satisfying. It’s like eating a bushel of apples while making explosion noises. Bobby Prince (apparently) is the man!

9. Lambchops says:

Adrien Brody, Adrien Brody.

What did I just skim watch?

10. karry says:

Yess, sell me more air, Garry.

• Rhuhuhuhu says:

GMDoom:
      Yes, you need the original data package (IWAD) so in theory, only people that own Doom (half the universe by now) can play it.

DoomRL:
      Using assets, art and such in a different, stand-alone product? not unless you have some sort of endorsement/contract.

Not suing fans that do something awesome is another legal choice. Consider it a sign of good moral standing from Id/Zenimax.

11. Arkh says:

Dang, I missed the DoomRL update. Hell yes it arrived!

12. Ateius says:

This is absolutely the best thing ever.

13. MiloticMaster says:

Attention all FPS game developers;
    This is what you should be doing.

14. buzzmong says:

Adrien Brody, A-drien Brody. Adrien Brody, A-drien Brody….

Curses upon you Craig! It’s now going to be in my head again for the next few days!

15. popedoo says:

Awesome.

16. killmachine says:

awsome. just recently saw the garry doom mod on doomworld.com

it sure deserves some press.

17. Mario Figueiredo says:

This is just too sexy. What a way to celebrate two of the most beloved classics! Total respect.

18. Scumbag says:

This a perfect post in which to spam BRUTAL DOOM BRUTAL DOOM BRUTAL DOOM BRUTAL DOOM BRUTAL DOOM BRUTAL DOOM BRUTAL DOOM BRUTAL DOOM BRUTAL DOOM BRUTAL DOOM BRUTAL DOOM BRUTAL DOOM BRUTAL DOOM BRUTAL DOOM BRUTAL DOOM BRUTAL DOOM

It is a very nice mod.

• Herzog says:

Brutal Doom is awesome. If someone is considering replaying Doom or Doom 2, get this mod! Totally rocks!

• Stuart Walton says:

The only way to pay Brutal Doom is on the hardest setting…

and then to use ‘Rip and Tear’ mode as much as possible when you pick up Berserk Mode.

Also, someone needs to figure out how to mash Brutal Doom and Hotline Miami into a thing.

19. manveruppd says:

Some of those are definitely not Valve’s levels! Not that they’re from Doom obviously, but could be recreations in gmod?

20. Baf says:

GMDoom reminds me a lot of Spadventure, which is a version of the original Colossal Cave adventure with spells from Infocom’s Enchanter series added.

21. Tiax says:

But where did they find the time to play Brutal Doom now ? ANSWER ME !

22. HybridHalo says:

Brutal Doom really is bloody excellent. I only got it a week ago and I’ve already played through all the content for Doom 1. The new weapon sounds/lighting and the heavy gibbing have really turned it from a classic FPS into something I’m happily sinking time into again. Brutal Doom very much feels like it’s what ID originally wanted Doom to be.

If you’ve not tried it yet, get hold of a copy of Zandronum, buy the Doom pack on steam and then install Brutal Doom. It’s bloody incredible.

23. Scumbag says:

BRUTAL DOOM BRUTAL DOOM BRUTAL DOOM BRUTAL DOOM BRUTAL DOOM BRUTAL DOOM BRUTAL DOOM BRUTAL DOOM BRUTAL DOOM BRUTAL DOOM BRUTAL DOOM BRUTAL DOOM BRUTAL DOOM BRUTAL DOOM BRUTAL DOOM BRUTAL DOOM BRUTAL DOOM BRUTAL DOOM BRUTAL DOOM BRUTAL DOOM BRUTAL DOOM BRUTAL DOOM BRUTAL DOOM BRUTAL DOOM BRUTAL DOOM BRUTAL DOOM

Comment on this story