Arrowed In The Face: Tower Fall

By Cara Ellison on March 22nd, 2013 at 8:00 pm.

ARROWED
Indie dev Matt Thorson‘s in FASHION. Ooooooooooooh. FASHION. He has accessorised his latest game Tower Fall in the latest chic: bows and arrows! And Ouya! Or wait, are boats more in fashion now? Is it boats that are cool? I guess boats might be cooler. I guess this is RETRO CHIC now, with the bow and arrow stuff. Maybe it can have a comeback, like the nineties. Click the ‘more’ button below to hear ‘more’ about this ‘game’.

Matt says of his archery combat platformer for 1-4 players, with an arcade co-op mode and hilarious, intense versus matches:

TowerFall is an archery combat platformer for 1-4 players, with an arcade co-op mode and hilarious, intense versus matches. The core mechanics are simple and accessible, but combat is fast and fierce. The focus is on player mastery and friendly rivalry.

There has been much debate between me and Adam about this one, and by much debate I mean, Adam went, “Is it coming out on PC? He mentions Ouya. But he’s shown it on PC before.” And I was like, “I don’t know. Is it coming out on PC?” And then Adam said “Well he only mentions Ouya”. And then Cara’s like, “Yeah he only mentions Ouya. He should put it out on PC though right.” Adam thought for a while and then said, “Yes, he should definitely put this out on PC, as well as Ouya”. And then Cara was like, “Yeah he should put it out on PC. Ouya is a funny name isn’t it? Sounds like a Scottish person getting injured”.

Anyway, it wasn’t a very good conversation so I don’t know why I am telling you. I’m going to get some tea.

, , .

1. aliksy says:

Video won’t play for me

2. Tiguh says:

Can Cara stay forever please?

• domogrue says:

Yeah I second this. But I can only really put out one “I love Cara’s Writing” comment a day, or else it gets a bit weird.

• TetherBound says:

Oh, well in that case, I’ll just say that I love Cara’s writing. Especially her interview with Crytek.

• Prolar Bear says:

I hereby third this. Please make yourself cozy at RPS, Cara, and don’t stop linking at silly things!

3. Koozer says:

(just try it spam filter. I dare you.)

4. DrollRemark says:

Side-view Four Swords? I approve.

• Geen says:

Four Swords wasn’t actually co-op. No matter what, it would always end with everyone trying to stab or blow each other up and set each other on fire. while Gannon or Vaati or whoever the hell it was stood confused

5. Enki says:

Cara your writing is the best. Keep on rocking.

6. Niko says:

Every time I come to visit my cousin we are like “Oh let’s look for decent coop games AGAIN”, being the pacifists we are, but it turns out that we’ve kinda played all 3 or 4 decent coop games already, so yeah. I hope Tower Fall’s coop mode will be good.

tigerfort says:

Surely that should be “beep-beep, FASHION!” (or is that too early a music reference?)

Also, I’m amazed no-one has observed that all the cool boats now have eyes. Because boat eyes are cool.

8. zenjestre says:

who is cara? she is new and for that reason and that reason alone i do not like her.

9. bargain chicken says:

This looks like mario crossed with Zelda lol

10. crinkles esq. says:

At first I thought Cara’s idiom was just being sassy. Peppering her prose with mild bitters, fluttering through life with deadly whimsy. But I’m starting to wonder if she just doesn’t really like games.

Or is this a generational thing? Does this mean I’m old now, that I find her meta-meta-nega-worlds of irony, ironing her shirts with irony, and that pen of hers dripping into a sarcasm chasm, well I find it a bit grating?

Or is this a continental thing? I’m just an American who likes to drink, but not too much as to spoil the spirits, and make love like the candle is going out, and write true and good things, straight like an arrow, and wrestle bears naked in the moonlight because that’s the only way you can truly feel like a man. No, I’m sorry, that was Hemingway.

I don’t know who I am, or who Cara is, but I do like the looks of this game, whether or not bows and arrows are ironically or unironically cool or not.

• DickSocrates says:

You’ve described RPS as a whole. I tend to scan the articles, works best by starting on the 3rd or 4th paragraph where the content of the article usually begins after the introductory hilarious word play.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

Mr Crinkles – I think perchance you fancy yourself a writer, and are wondering “who is this spunky young upstart, and by what contrivance does she come to be writing in such a respected and venerated organ?”. Then you are maybe giggling at the word “organ”, forgetting you were a bit irritated, and returning to your tipple, to enjoy Ms Ellison’s singular yet aberrant cortex ejecta. Huzzah.

This post was sponsored by Thesaurus.com

11. Nixitur says:

I am pleasantly reminded of a more platforming-based, more insane Soldat.
    Looks fun.