Spring (Wallet) Cleaning: Steam’s Indie Spring Sale

By Nathan Grayson on March 22nd, 2013 at 9:00 am.

Alternate headline: Valve repaints 'The Last Supper,' but with indie games. Pope explodes.

I’m in the process of moving to a new house, just had to resuscitate my poor little shoe car from the brink of death, and was recently informed that the meticulously stone-hewn, full-sized medieval castle required of all RPS writers isn’t tax deductible. I cannot, in other words, afford anything. On that note, do you want to buy some dirt? Or how about this nice clump of air? Oh, look at this slightly used chewing gum. It’s fresh from your mouth as of three seconds ago. Oh, thank you. Thank you so much. You’ve done a good thing here today. You won’t regret it! I’ll get my life back on track. You’ll see! [Immediately slinks off to Old Man Newell's back alley Steam Sale emporium to squander it all on indie games.]

Yes, Steam’s Indie Spring Sale is here, and it’ll torpedo-tempt even the most ironclad hulls of your resolve until March 29th. Top billing goes to IGF winners/finalists and PAX East showcase titles, but the sale spans just about every indie under the sun, dropping digits like an accountant with a death wish.

Standouts include Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams at 50 percent off, the Adam-approved Ultratron at the same pithy percentage, Trine and Trine 2 at 75 percent off, Half-Minute Hero at 66, and A Valley Without Wind 1 and 2 for less than the price of a mediocre coffee. Really, though, many of these games started at rather low prices, so casting off a few extra pieces of monetary cloth leaves them quite enticingly exposed.

Have a look around, if you’re feeling so inclined. Or, you know, maybe consider picking up a few for those less fortunate than your magnificently wealthy self.*

*Note: I’m not actually asking for games. Don’t worry. I have plenty.**

**But, I mean, if you are fabulously rich and have run out of orphans to turn into brilliant titans of industry/Batman… no, no. This is wrong.***

***Hey there, sexy.****

****I don’t even know what I’m doing anymore.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. frightlever says:

Craig, Nathan wants to talk to you.

2. trjp says:

I don’t quite get what Steam are doing with this sale – it’s incredibly difficult to find out what’s on sale other than the top featured titles.

All the lists are maxed at 100 items – those lists contain non-sale items – it’s a dogs-breakfast of a thing to say the least. Browsing the entire ‘Indie’ section is painful but your only real option!?

I guess their plan is for the developers to plug their own stuff – but it’s an odd approach to take if you ask me, sales are usually made clearer and stuff…

“We’re having a sale – here’s a tiny fraction of the deals on offer – find the rest yourself by guesswork”

p.s. some of the Steam Deals pages are more useful but the sheer number of items on sale has them struggling a bit?

3. Llewyn says:

Nathan, any man who has a separate car just for his shoes isn’t going to garner much sympathy around here!

• Gap Gen says:

Yeah, but the US is a different place. The animal shelters run adverts that say “a unicorn is for life, not just for Christmas”, and you know it’s a rough neighbourhood if the streets are only paved with gold. Here in Europe, it’s easy to forget that over there it’s the *bad* children who get coal in their stockings.

• Llewyn says:

The bad ones!? So glad I wasn’t born American, I’d have hated to miss out on my Christmas coal when growing up.

• princec says:

Coal!

Luxury! When I was a lad, my Christmas present was not to be thrashed with a willow switch on Christmas morning.

• brulleks says:

Willow switch? You had it easy. On Christmas morning our Dad used to wake us up by driving a bulldozer through the bedroom wall, filled with prettily wrapped hedgehog carcasses, which would serve as breakfast, lunch, dinner and our year’s supply of toys.

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

Shit you guys had it easy.
            My parents made me go to church.

• brulleks says:

Ouch. You win.

(Even though I suspect you’ve never watched the source material).

4. Gap Gen says:

I suppose that given that Catholics believe they are eating the flesh of Christ during the Eucharist, you could call Jesus “Super Meat Boy”, if you wanted to burn in hell for all eternity.

5. BTAxis says:

Steam won’t let me buy stuff anymore for some reason, so I guess I’m not getting any of this.

• trjp says:

You Steam – me Gamersgate.

I went to buy something yesterday and it wouldn’t let me login – no error, no message just no login workee.

So I reset my password (which I know 100% was right because I use Lastpass) but their site was down so I couldn’t use the reset link – that persisted for about 30 mins – seemed ominous.

When it came back, my account is now blocked – well thanks fellas!!

Ticketed last night but no response yet so I’ll buy elsewhere – but I cannot get back into my account until they respond and I have a nasty suspicious that their security was wobbling last night and I’m hoping it’s not ANOTHER password reset comedy hour…

• Malibu Stacey says:

[insert shameless self-advertising here]

What if I already own it Jom? Eh? What then?
      Didn’t think of that did you in your fancy robot pants.

6. Capt. Eduardo del Mango says:

Oh God, there’s too many of them. I feel like I need an Adrian Veidt style bank of monitors and a spare brain.

And I need some money. When’s pension day? I might have to reverse over a granny outside the Post Office.

I like what they’ve done with this Early Access thing too – makes sense to have a way to distinguish these ever more common purchased open alphas. I’m eagerly awaiting my KSP Steam key whenever they figure that out, but it’s also got Kenshi, Starforge and Kinetic Void which I was intending to pick up at some point anyway. Under The Ocean looked cool too.

Right. Pensions.gov.uk or something will know.

7. Anthile says:

You gotta feel sorry for the Natural Selection 2 devs. I wonder if they knew about this.

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

Why?
      How did their half price sale go?

• Squishpoke says:

NS2 counts as Indie, so I’m not sure why it isn’t featured in the spring sale promotion as well.

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

It’s still half off and currently on a free weekend!
        Everyone should check it out.
        Try Alien side before you stop!

8. Colonel J says:

It’s a tempting sale, but I need to give up buying any new-ish indie games from Steam or GOG. Before I get round to playing them they appear cheaper in a Humble Bundle or similar, which I also buy because it has another good game that I want. Stop making me buy things twice!

9. mr.ioes says:

Yeah, I just browsed through my 114 games wishlist and the one thing that stood out was AI war -75%.

• trjp says:

I keep trying the AI War demo because I think I’ll like it – I like their games usually – but the demo is just a wall of faff and farting about.

Is it possible just to start playing and work stuff out as you go or do you have to know all the tiresome “build this to build that to do this to do that or nothing works” stuff

Is there a handholdy actual GAME in there – rather than a “here is a tour of the UI from hell” mode? :)

e.g. how AVWW did it – showing you as you go rather than talking at you

• dreadpirateryu says:

You pretty much need to know how to play the game from the start to get even some modicum of success. The actual game is incredibly hard, and you probably won’t even beat the AI until you’ve played several rounds. (and considering there are tons of AI varieties, maybe even longer due to the AI switching up its strategies in most games when you’re just starting out) Honestly I’d muscle through the tutorial, then get an actual game going. You’ll have enough requisite knowledge to get yourself started, and can learn “on the job” after that. Also, the tutorial doesn’t cover everything that can happen with all the expansions. There are a ton of random things you can find or have happen while playing that will mix things up a lot.

• Squishpoke says:

I praise AI War for streamlining a lot of the micro, and the campaigns are very meaty 40-hour affairs. Tough as nails, you gotta throw every trick you know at them.

• Malibu Stacey says:

Don’t play with AI on level 7 or higher. That’s considered “normal” where “normal” means “I am moderately competent at this game and would like something of a challenge”.

For a first game/learning experience try 5 (or even lower) as it’ll give you plenty of time to play around with stuff & figure out how to build units & what everything does. Also I find it better to play the base game without the expansions enabled first as the expansions each add a lot of new mechanics and unit types.

Also do not under any circumstances try to take every single system. The object of the game is to take down the AI without them really noticing you (effectively using Guerrilla/hit and run tactics). If you try a standard “crush everything in my path” strategy, expect the AI to react with a similar level of force.

10. honuk says:

Super Hexagon is a Whole Dollar.

Carry on.

11. Snids says:

Ultratron! BIDE!

By which I mean I have purchased it with great enthusiasm.

12. Kein says:

Fly’N is just 3$, I HIGLHY recommend it. Lovely game. Think of it like Botanicula with replayability value.

• Kuhaa says:

But…Botanicula HAS replay value! :(

• InternetBatman says:

The page says it’s controller recommended. How accurate is that?

• JeepBarnett says:

I played all the way through using keyboard and mouse with no problems. The default layout is odd (jump on left click) but if you stick with it, those controls turn out to be really slick and well designed. Awesome game!

• LTK says:

Absolutely no problems on M&KB for me. The default layout is effective and all keys are rebindable.

Fly’n carries my recommendation as well. Beautiful aesthetics, challenging game, overall a wonderful experience.

13. Hoaxfish says:

Kinda tempted, but at the same time not very.

I picked up 80% off on that recent GOG thing and saw Humble’s weekly pay-what-you-want Bastion, so 50% off (and it still being nearer £10 than £1 for the one I’d like) isn’t particularly enticing.

The selection is certainly nice, but I’ve already spent way too much on other sales and kickstarter this month.

14. mLocke says:

Use this tool to figure out if the sale price is the best price, historically. http://steamsales.rhekua.com/

15. princec says:

Mesmerising voice: You must all buy Ultratron, Titan Attacks, Droid Assault, and Revenge of the Titans because they’re all massively discounted.

See, I made it easy for you! Now your decision making worries are put to rest, you can sleep soundly at night*

*dreaming of 200 tonne monsters bashing down your house. Or robot pr0n. Or whatever.

16. Low Life says:

The guy on the left seems quite uncomfortable in the company of other indie game characters.

17. Martel says:

You should get Ticket to Ride, assuming you have some folks you can play it with (and they get it too).

18. Robmonster says:

Ticket to ride is at a good price! http://store.steampowered.com/app/108200

19. cocoleche says:

Welp, so many titles. Honestly I’ll just be waiting for TB to make a small recommendations video, sifting through all this is more work than I could be saving.

20. pertusaria says:

Fate of the World is a real gem: it’s a turn-based game where you are given a set of environmental and economic circumstances to manage while not alienating too many regions. The Tipping Point edition is nice but not essential.

Jolly Rover is a fun point-and-click with a couple of interesting mechanics; MacGuffin’s Curse is surprisingly fun for a sliding block puzzle and has nice humour.

Thomas Was Alone looks interesting – I nearly picked it up in the Christmas sale.