Grime To Kill: Dust – An Elysian Tail

By Adam Smith on March 25th, 2013 at 6:00 pm.

More news from PAX East, this time via the electronic eyes of Polgyon. Dean Dodrill and Alex Kain told the world that their side-scrolling ARPG, Dust: An Elysian Tail, will be coming to Steam in April. There’s a trailer below, which is handy for people like me who haven’t played the XBLA original, because Dust means two things in my gaming world: a shooty EVE thing or a platforming sweep ‘em up. This Dust has lots of hacking and possibly some slashing, and anthropomorphic characters.

I just found out that Dust’s designer, Dean Dodrill, worked as an artist on Jazz Jackrabbit 2 and that immediately made me think that there will probably be a Jazz Jackrabbit Kickstarter soon, or maybe a gritty reboot.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Laini says:

This was one of my favourite games in 2012 so I’m really pleased to see it coming to Steam too.

2. Totally heterosexual says:

Furry samurai metroidvania boogaloo from what I have heard.

Could be fun.

• strangeloup says:

That summarises it pretty well. It’s also got pretty good writing, albeit in a fairly light 90s-cartoon sort of way. Pleasingly it seems that the first order of business was to have the game be fun, and the gameplay mechanics and storyline are integrated pretty unobtrusively toward that end, though at higher difficulties it certainly rewards skill and precision.

I’ll probably end up getting the Steam version despite already having it on 360, ’cause I suspect my consolebox is going to kark it eventually — this is the third machine I’m on — and I really can’t be bothered buying another one as and when it does.

• Dezmiatu says:

But I demand messy morality and gritty consequences from my cartoon humanoid critter.

• thatfuzzybastard says:

And you’ll get it! The story is surprisingly dark, considering the art style. Even more shocking is that the voice acting is… good! Actually pretty good!

• LionsPhil says:

Fairly heavy on the first. Dean’s the guy who added Lori to Jazz Jackrabbit.

Kind of amusing that the first game’s dev quotes screen contains “it’s hard to draw a sexy rabbit“.

• Oozo says:

Thanks to you and that link, I do know now that I have been clueless of the existence of the Dopefish for far too long.

Time to hand over my Gamer badge and my BFG, I suppose.

3. Glen Moyes says:

It’s worth noting that Alexander Brandon (one of my favorite video game composers of all time) did a handful of tracks for this game too. So it’s got that going for it.

Also, Dean pretty much did the entire game himself: programming, art, and animation. Only hired out sound and music. Crazy.

• LionsPhil says:

Most of them are by Hyperduck, though; I have to say Alex’s contributions don’t really seem to outstanding this time.

The real kicker for me is that the really good ones from the console trailers are marked ‘Vintage’ the soundtrack, so I assume the final music are the redone, less trackery-y versions. Boo.

• Randomer says:

Hyperduck or Brandon, I love this soundtrack. Though I’ll admit to the slightly deplorable act of holding out on buying it in hopes that it’ll be in a Game Music Bundle someday.

4. theodacourt says:

Hehe…Polgyon.

5. Lemming says:

It’s published by MS, so expect GFWL unless they say otherwise…

• LTK says:

It might seem too good to be true, but GFWL is on its way out. Mark of the Ninja was published by Microsoft and contained no trace of that abomination. I expect this game will be Steamworks, and nothing else.

• Corb says:

yeah, we said that a few years ago right before they announced “our next attempt! the exact same crap except the interface works slightly more!”

• LionsPhil says:

Has a game released on Steam without GFWL (or any other 3rd party DRM) ever had GFWL (or other 3rd party DRM) added to it in a later update, though?

6. Baal_Sagoth says:

Hell yeah! So pleased to see this on PC. I was itching to check the game out since it looks excellent.

7. Alien426 says:

> Dust means two things in my gaming world…

But also From Dust and Dusty Revenge!

8. LionsPhil says:

a Jazz Jackrabbit Kickstarter soon, or maybe a gritty reboot.

Well, given CliffyB’s style of late

9. ZIGS says:

Why are the graphics so blurry? Is is the video compression?

10. DickSocrates says:

Metroid-like games are my favourites. The voice work sounds really good. The animation looks great. Not thrilled with the character designs, but whatever. The “furry” criticism means nothing to me, strangely enough when I look at cartoon animal people I don’t get aroused.

11. Jack-Dandy says:

This is sweet. I really wanted to play this one.

I heard it’s a bit too easy, but hopefully the grafixx and charm will make up for it.

12. Yosharian says:

This game is great, still need to finish my XBL version.

The gameplay is so bloody fun.

13. kwyjibo says:

“Dust means two things in my gaming world” – de_dust and de_dust2

Nothing else comes close.

14. Baf says:

In my world, Dust means a Western proto-FMV adventure game from 1995 with painfully noisy audio and terrifying Terry-Gilliam-like facial animations.

I think your world might be better than mine.

15. noodlecake says:

I’ve had my eye on this since it first came out. I can’t wait. It’s so beautiful.

16. MOOncalF says:

Ah platformers! I wish I could buy you all, the good the bad and the stupendous. <3

17. JoshuaMadoc says:

I just found out the story to this game was made by the same guy who pens Dreamkeepers, and then I subsequently tripped on the third book.

Let’s just say I’m kind of dreading the lethargy of the story for this game.

Although the good news from what I hear is that this game won’t have GFWL.

18. OMMad says:

between this game and shovel knights i’m pretty much set for platformer-slashers. the animation and voicework are just lovely… i remember reading the post-op for this game on Gamasutra and being shocked that the creator was an artist that learned to code to make this game. each cel was hand-drawn — all of that in the trailer was drawn by one guy — and only sound and music was contracted… it’s awesome how dedicated this man is to his work.