Crytek & Epic’s Tastes Of Tomorrow

By Alec Meer on March 26th, 2013 at 7:00 pm.

Is that... Elvis?

Jim, John and Nathan are all out at GDC for RPS right now, but the lack of any news from them so far leads me to presume they are all either dead, kidnapped, hungover, hiding or trapped inside a branch of The Cheesecake Factory. So, while I’ve not been out there to see and thus usefully report on any of the following myself, I can at least once again do what is approximately 19% of my daily job, and resize video embed code to fit on our website.

This time it’s looks at what we can expect from Crytek’s Cryengine 3 and Epic’s Unreal don’t-call-it-4 Engine 4. I think you’ll all agree that Golfzon (above) is what we most want from the game engines of tomorrow. And if you don’t, some of the other stuff in there might well be more to your tastes.

Both are having their wares touted out at the show right now, so we should look at these in the context of their being about convincing developers to spend thousands on them rather than in terms of how much they reflect games we’ll be playing soon. Even so, potentially telling stuff, potentially not-entirely-relevant-to-Johnny/Joanna Average-PC-gamer stuff. Unless you have 24 GeForce Titans.

Here’s Crytek. Some of these look super-good, others look a little guff and one has an almost-bare bottom in it. Oh, videogames, will you never learn?

And here’s a laughably small and slightly unconvincing-but-who-knows slice of Unreal Not-4:

Spotted via PC Gamer. I bet they’ve got a bunch of GeForce Titans :(

I mustn’t be cross about it though – today is, after all, International Stop Hating Things Day.

__________________

« | »

, , , , , .

1. Brun says:

So it’s safe to say that all the graphics are at GDC right now?

2. Tuco says:

I’m definitely interested in that Warhorse Studios RPG.

• Ultra Superior says:

YES that YES!

It looks incredible. A proper first person medieval simulation. Can’t wait.

( Lichdom also looked good, a bit like playing Dark Messiah with Mage character)

• DeVadder says:

Poo, i had read that as Warhouse and rushed to the comments section to post what an awesome name that is. Apparently there is a movie called Warhouse though.

3. FurryLippedSquid says:

I’d love something like Everybody’s Golf on PC.

Oh, and, graphics.

4. Paul says:

The Crytek video contains first semiofficial footage of Warhose Studios’s open world historical RPG, which is one of my most anticipated games. And it does look fantastic.

5. Apocalypse says:

How can you tell from that video, Paul? ;-)

6. ass wasp says:

Golfzon is hilarious, started out looking like an arcadey golf game, ended with golf witches and putter fencing.
    Also is BATTLEFIELD OF HONOR the most amazingly unoriginal FPS title yet?

7. Mr. Mister says:

Anybody knows how to manually force HD on these bitches?

8. serioussgtstu says:

Bullshit they’re at GDC, Jim and John are in Mexico eating cocaine by the kilo.

9. SKapsniak says:

I don’t know what it says about that me those few seconds of crazy costume changes in Golfzon looked much more fun than pretty much all the rest of both those reels. I’ll admit the Warhorse costumes also looked pretty spiffy too, so thumbs up for Warhorse.

Everyone else? You seriously fail dress-up simulation, by far the most important part of modern playing with dollsgaming.

BAD ENGINE LICENSEES! NO BISCUIT!

10. SuperNashwanPower says:

Is there some tablet footage in that Crytek vid? There is indeed some guff in it, interspersed with sweetness

11. SuicideKing says:

Hey i was reading Tech Report today, their thoughts on Crysis 3 are very different to most other gaming media outlets.

But then they’ve got 2 Radeon HD 7970s and a GTX Titan sitting casually under their desks so i guess they’re different.

• PopeRatzo says:

And even with the dual 7970s and Titan, the reviewer admits that the screen shots were taken with the graphics in “high” mode, because “very high” was too sluggish. It’s on one of the last paragraphs that he drops this little detail.

• SuicideKing says:

Hmmm so does it make it more next gen than Battleshooty 4? I doubt. Both sound like they’re technologically next-gen only.

12. PopeRatzo says:

In case you’re wondering, the “almost bare bottom” is at 2:10.

A public service.

13. Dowr says:

Epic showed off a teaser for a tech demo of an engine at GDC?

14. bj says:

I hope John caught Jeffrey Yohalem’s talk about how he manages to write such meaningful stories. I expect a full write-up.

15. MadTinkerer says:

“And here’s a laughably small and slightly unconvincing-but-who-knows slice of Unreal Not-4″

Well, of course it’s not Unreal 4, silly. They did Unreal Tournament 3, but not Unreal 3 yet. The last Unreal game was #2, and the company has been distracted with Tournaments and Bulletstorm and Console Kiddy 3rd Person Games With Cover Systems For Babies instead of doing a proper Unreal 3.

• souroldlemon says:

i think unreal 4 is short for unreal engine 4. Not officially because it’s been in the works for so long without materialising that in practice they just keep upgrading version 3

Comment on this story