Make Peggle, Not War: PopCap’s Finest For Free

By Alec Meer on March 26th, 2013 at 2:00 pm.

much like that time I had pneumonia

Today is International Stop Hating Things Day. Do you hate things? Do you burn to say how awful you think they are on the internet? For one day only, stop it. Stop hating things! You’ll feel better. And I’ll even give you a reward for it – a free copy of Peggle Deluxe. No, you’re not allowed to hate it. That would contravene the rules of International Stop Hating Things Day.

All of this has happened before and will do again, of course. I mean to pull no wool over your eyes there. Any chance to play Peggle, especially if you haven’t before, is one worth taking though – PopCap’s arguable finest hour is one of merriment and affirmation, and steeped in a good-natured innocence arguably lost to PopCap games since they started getting all hot and bothered about Facebook and whatnot.

It also seems so very long ago that all of RPS’ founders lived and breathed Peggle, with the exception of John who hated it because International Stop Hating Things Day hadn’t yet been invented.

Remember: stop hating things, all today. And play Peggle. Peggle!

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

What about resentment? Can I resent things on International Stop Hating Day?

• AndrewC says:

Well, if you accept that resentment of a thing is a reflection of your failure in its success, the expression of it can be the crucial first step in accepting your personal failings and, ultimately, overcoming them.

If, however, you express your resentment by trying to stop something better than you existing because you are not as good as it, then you are almost entirely scum, and the only course of treatment is a heavy dose of playing Peggle.

• LionsPhil says:

I disapprove of ISHTD.

2. John Walker says:

I didn’t hate Peggle! I have played mad numbers of hours of Peggle!

I’m just capable of recognising that Bookworm Adventures is TWICE THE GAME.

• Lambchops says:

I was going to say this.

Peggle is great and all, but Bookworm Adventures is betterer. Except when it didn’t let me use betterer as a word, then it was worserer.

• analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

Ode to joy! Twice the game, multiple Beethovens, surely you jest!!

3. Koozer says:

How many Peggles is it?

4. BooleanBob says:

Hard drive space is kind of at a premium at the moment. How many peggles is Peggle?

edit: damn ye, Koozer! *waves fist*

5. TWChristine says:

This is kind of funny because just earlier in the week I was going to post something on FB about how everyone should play it, as it’s one of the greatest games ever invented. I love how seriously (or not?) it takes itself with the fireworks and music.

6. Berzee says:

Dagnabbit, I recently bought Peggle Deluxe. What a retrospective waste of money! Haaate.

(oh wait nvm, this is cool, what I meant to say is that this is cool)

7. Llewyn says:

I hate Peggle.

However Mrs L will be most pleased with this. Mrs L doesn’t play video games, but found the lite version of Peggle pre-installed on her new laptop last year and then proceeded to spend half her holiday playing through it while telling me that I ought to come and look at the cool thing she’d found. Apparently it has unicorns.

I hate unicorns.

• Bob_Bobson says:

Only hugs from strangers will cheer up someone so blinded by that which is banned today.

*hug*

8. Fred S. says:

It’s not free Peggle, you have to give them your email address.

• Llewyn says:

Does the type of person who reads RPS still have just a single email address?

• Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

Grumble mutter email address hhhrmmm rrrrmmm cold dead hands!

• Fred S. says:

I have several but I rather dislike the idea of registering any of them with EA. Even the throwaways deserve better than that.

• notevenbotherered says:

I had the same response. They want my email address? Scoundrels!
          I don’t hate EA, this being International day of The Stopping of the Hate, but as it isn’t stop being a petty fuckwit day I went and sourced the now free game from alternative areas of our dear internet, free of any of guilt that might usually accompany the sight of a sailing ship with a cassette and some bones on the sails.
          So petty.

• Vercinger says:

Indeed. So I did like our not even bothered friend above and made my own copy from various other people’s KPeggles.

I actually didn’t know what Peggle was until today. I’m not impressed enough to participate in ISHTD.

PopCap sucks.

• Nick says:

if only there were such things as temporary email addresses.

• Aiming Dave says:

Well, there is 10minutemail.com, which has protected us from the tyranny of e-mail address registration for many years. Viva la pegglelucion!

9. Optimaximal says:

Wrong, Plants vs. Zombies is PopCap’s best!

10. LTK says:

Cool, I can put this on my hard drive next to the free copy of Bejeweled Deluxe that I got one time, never to be played.

11. zeekthegeek says:

And it’s not even on Origin, thanks Jeff Green

12. DRoseDARs says:

“Make Peggle, Not War(face)…”

13. DrollRemark says:

Surely Peggle is old enough now to deserve a gritty reboot?