Nu-Desktop Dungeons Free Again, For A Bit

By Alec Meer on March 26th, 2013 at 4:00 pm.

I can't get their site to load so I had to use an old screenshot and it's probably non-representative now and waah

They did it last year, and they still haven’t finished their game so they’re doing it again this year. Desktop Dungeons was/is a brilliant little mash-up of rogue-like and puzzle game, and the devs have been working on a dramatically expanded version with a metagame, character persistence and all sorts. In honour of GDC, because, er, I don’t know, they’ve made the beta version of the game free to all for the duration of the conference.

You do need to register, you’ve only got until March 31st and. Well, I don’t have an and. Just go play it, I guess. I’m sure it’s come on leaps and bounds since last year, and I do keep meaning to check in and see what’s new.

If you like what you try, pre-ordering the game now for $10 (or $20 for assorted bells and whistles) gets you ongoing access to the beta. Also, the original version remains free, and a little wonder.

The game’s site seems a little unhappy right now, so exercise patience if you can.

I wonder how many words of this post are accidentally identical to the one I wrote last year. I daren’t look, for fear of the dark truths it might reveal about my command of English and imagination.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. mzlapq says:

I’ve been suspecting this for a while, but now there’s a proof that Alec and Craig are the same person!

2. Hoaxfish says:

So, after 31st we wouldn’t be able to play anymore?

3. mr.ioes says:

Since it needs unity web player installed, my question: is the game browser based as well after you bought it? Or do you get a standard windows executable then?

• shaken says:

From their FAQ:

“Q: I see the Beta is running in my browser. What gives?
      A: The Beta is going to be changing very often, as we update it with bug fixes and new content. To prevent us from having to send out endless patches, we’re going to keep it on the web during the beta phase, making roll-out much easier. Once the full is launched, there will be a stand-alone and a web client, and your save games will persist across both (given internet access)”

• mr.ioes says:

You’re doing god’s work, son.

• pupsikaso says:

You mean, Google’s work, right? Or rather, your work that you could have accomplished through google.
          I am simply amazed how we live in an age where all the information in the entire world is available at your fingertips and how people are so bad at retrieving it.

• Grygus says:

I am also a big fan of Google, but your annoyance puzzles me; your problem seems to be that people are typing their questions into the wrong boxes. What difference does it make? I think it is much better than not asking at all; so much better, in fact, that I’d encourage people to go ahead and ask someone else to Google an answer for them. Fighting ignorance is such a noble cause that it doesn’t matter what weapons you bring to bear.

That said: whenever possible, read the FAQ, you barbarians.

4. Hallr says:

I have been following this game for a few years, and I still love it! Well worth a try (or 500).

5. tengblad says:

Hey, I just remembered that I bought this game ages ago, and that I haven’t played it in almost as long! I should fire it back up and see what’s changed – it was already a great little game a year ago, I can only assume it’s gotten better since.

6. JFS says:

I hope this ever gets finished, otherwise I’ll surely forget I bought it about two years ago…

7. Riaktion says:

In exactly the same boat, I even posted about it on the forums and got an answer from the devs…. I’m not even sure if I will play it when it’s finally released now… that burning desire to get my hands on the full version has long faded. Anyways… we will see when it is actually released.

8. Randomer says:

I can’t wait ’til Unity works in Linux. This is exactly the kind of game I’d love to play when I should be working.

That said, I it’s probably a good thing that Unity doesn’t work for Linux…

• rustybroomhandle says:

I’m confused about what you are saying. Unity 4 makes perfectly good Linux builds, there’s just just no web player. Is the latter what you meant?

9. ran93r says:

This was the second game after minecraft that I threw money at, back before the heady days of kicking those starts, now the money just flies everywhere and I still have precious little to show for it. Still, the web version is quite lovely.

I would ask them for an android port if I didn’t think it would take them another two years :)

• Iain_1986 says:

Its being built in Unity, so unless they are doing anything particularly odd, they should be able to pay the money for an Android license and export to Android pretty easily.

10. fahdiz says:

I love Desktop Dungeons. The one thing I’d really like is an option to use the old-style graphics in the new game. That’d be the bestestest.

11. trjp says:

I like this – I bought it about 18 months ago – I do wonder what the FUCK they’re playing at tho, the idea is to finish a game and let us play it on our PCs rather than in a browser y’know

Would be nice something this decade and all that!? :)

12. Eldiran says:

Unity… my nemesis. So we meet again.

Is anyone else utterly incapable of getting Unity to #@$%& work? I run Windows 7 and Firefox. I’ve un- and re-installed the gorram thing 5 dozen times over the past 2 years. It never, ever, ever actually runs, always claming not to be installed.

Please help…

• wccrawford says:

If you’re talking about getting the webplayer to run, it doesn’t like certain browsers and HTTPS links. It’ll say it’s not installed, even though it is. Just remove the S and everything works fine.