Battlefield 4 Prattle Feed For All The New News

By John Walker on March 27th, 2013 at 6:00 am.

Look, you can see the big dipper!

Tonight EA lured us in to a darkened cinema, on the promise of news about the only-just-announced-even-though-everyone-knew-about-it-for-ages Battlefield 4. But while we knew it existed, we didn’t know what it might contain. Um. Yeah, about that…

Once again, DICE revealed a Battlefield with its single player. It’s odd. It was odd when they did it with BF3 too. Battlefield is a multiplayer game. But that did not trouble the presenters of last night’s ludicrous misfire. Here’s how it happened:

DICE (whom we must remember are NOT a Battlefield factory) introduce things by explaining that there will be no introduction, and promise us no rendered footage. And then begins a video, “Fishing in Baku”, accompanied by, er, Bonnie Tyler’s Total Eclipse OF The Heart. There’s nervous laughter. “Oh, man, I don’t want to die to this song,” says a voice in a car sinking into the water. There’s relieved laughter. That peters out into the realisation that this is single-player, and our time is about to be wasted at length.

The first actual in-game playable moment we see is a dank, grey corridor. It’s like a statement, a declaration of intent. There surely cannot be the collectively lacked perspicacity to fail to understand what message presenting a dank, grey corridor offers us about the game. But I’ll tell you what – what a dank, grey corridor. Water effects on the ground like I’ve never seen before. Wow, look at those particle effects, the cloth physics on those billowing curtains, lighting of the like I didn’t think was possible. Frostbite 3 is delivering on its promises like a postman possessed. And what’s that? “Press E to open.” A game demo on PC.

Of course, it couldn’t be shown on PS4 or Xbox 3: The Xboxening at this point, not that it was announced for them nor anything else. But oddly, the soupy movements show it’s being played with a controller. Developers are weird.

But now, moving on from our dank, grey corridor, we’re looking out from the fixed point of a dank, grey window, shooting up the streets to protect an NPC. It’s achingly, all-permeatingly unoriginal, but utterly beautiful at it.

Suddenly we’re in the woods, and good grief, the light on those perfectly rendered individual leaves on the bushes. Every thin branch bobbing, no 2.5D tricks, just the best foliage gaming’s ever seen. This isn’t a step forward in graphics, but a groin-breaking stride. Splashes as NPCs run through puddles, proper splooshes of water, like puddles do. Puddles in a grey building site, while the men shoot the ones facing toward them, because they’re facing toward them, and press E on a car to drive it.

Details are rendered impossibly far into the distance. If it’s trickery, it’s the best trickery I’ve seen. A distant horizon meticulously detailed with grey, crumbling buildings of no interest, in dreary yet well rendered nothingplace. We see the men fire the chunky gun at the other cars for some presumably important reason.

There’s a chopper on your side. Targets are designated, it fires at them. They blow up. They blow up more beautifully, and more extraordinarily than I’ve ever seen the targeted areas blow up in all the FPS games that are otherwise exactly the same as it. Now they’re going up that FPS games’ lift, and shooting at the FPS games’ helicopter that you shoot at when going up that FPS games lift. It looks ridiculously amazing as it destroys the familiar FPS building you’re running through, before FPS games’ scripted sequence where the helicopter causes all your friends to fall down, and then a big brick tower falls through the roof next to you all.

You’re knocked out, and then you come around all fuzzy, and your friend is looking directly in your face. You know the scene I mean, from the FPS games. But one of the men is hurt in the cutscene, and you have to cut his leg off at the knee by pressing F, then drive him to somewhere, but that Bonnie Tyler song is back and we know what’s coming! The scripted sequence sees the helicopter that’s still pursuing us seem to get shot down, and then we crash into the water. And then we’re off to China. WUB WUB end.

“It’s a new era in entertainment.”

Says the DICE man on the stage, after the video of the same things happening that have happened in every FPS game ever. A sequence of events that could have come from any reveal of any war-based FPS single player campaign in the last two hundred years, not least the Battlefield 3 announcement footage.

“It’s not about the polygons, the shaders. It’s the emotional connection we make with players.”

If emotions include “BANG!” and “CRASH!” then they’ve nailed it.

“The technology has enabled us to become better storytellers.”

If you mean better at telling the same story that gaming has been telling for all of time, then yeah, possibly.

It’s impossible to think anything other than: it’s a multiplayer game! Why aren’t you showing us that? What is this for?

If it was intended to be a demonstration of Frostbite 3, then as you’ll see in the trailer below, I’ve never seen a game looking anywhere near this good. But beyond that, I have nothing useful to report about the game.

Right at the end Stage Man 2 said

I don’t know what that means. He didn’t explain. Like he did not about the multiplayer that’s all anyone wanted to hear about. And indeed like the release date, or the platforms it’ll be on. (Edit: Since the event, and impressively 20 minutes after the 11pm PST embargo, EA sent a press release explaining that it’s out this Autumn.) Instead we were shown the same 18 minutes of FPS footage we’ve been dragged through in an inexorable loop for the last twenty years.

Tonight we were told that Battlefield 4 is the best looking game yet to have us dragged by our noses down dank, grey corridors. Information that precisely no one wanted to know.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. cqdemal says:

Can’t really put it in any other way. Utterly gorgeous but also totally dreary. Will buy for $10 in 2015 so I can yell “SO MANY GRAPHICS!!!!!!” at my monitor.

Oh, so they’re talking about emotion now. I hereby rechristen the game Battlefeel 4.

2. The_B says:

But how many fields will we be battling on? What do they grow when they are not being battled upon? What is the annual yield on these fields of battle? ENQUIRING MINDS MUST KNOW!

• cqdemal says:

Most of your answers are right there! They plant concrete in these fields so that they can grow into massive concrete husks that are really prone to explosions.

EDIT: The annual yield is zero because the concrete husks eventually explode.

• Mario Figueiredo says:

“But how many fields will we be battling on?”

I have exclusive information on Battlefield 7: It will be made.

“What do they grow when they are not being battled upon?”

A better and more refined taste for different game types.

What is the annual yield on these fields of battle?

That information hasn’t been disclosed by EA.

• Ralphomon says:

Battleyield

3. Hardtarget says:

just finished watching the 18 minute trailer

It’s a well done thing, it looks good, but I just don’t get why it exists. It’s a Battlefield game, who cares about the Single Player.

I loved BF3, I have many many hours invested into it, I think premium has been a great return on what I paid for it (hell it has more maps than the base game itself and was much cheaper). I have never, ever, played the Single Player portion of BF3, hell I haven’t even launched that portion to take a look, why would I have?

I’d be potentially interested in the multi of BF4 but it’s another modern day setting, how is it different from BF3? That’s what they need to show to sell me on a new game.

• dsch says:

Be thankful. I got as far as the second mission in which all you do is watch your guy walk very slowly to a plane and then occasionally ‘press E to win’.

• shutter says:

It’s really not that bad. It’s not the second coming or anything, but easily better than MW3 or BLOPS (can’t speak to BLOPS 2, as two back to back non-Infinity Ward CoDs put me off). It’s not CoD4 or or even BC2, but it does have a couple of very nice Battlefield-y moments.

• CaspianRoach says:

I only played Battlefield 3 singleplayer and I liked it quite much. I don’t want no multiplayer. This trailer excited me. Except for the social guff at the top right. Fuck that shit.

• BobbyDylan says:

I disagree. Premium was essentially pre-ordering DLC of which the customer had no indication of the content. “Here’s an empty box, which I’m selling for £40, that we’ll probably get round to putting some stuff into at some point/. Want it?”

And on top of that, I find it cheaper to get them individually (£5 each) for £20 than to get premium at £40.

So paying another £20 for a box cutter knife, some skins for your gun and to play the maps 2 weeks early is worth it for some, great. Personally I like to see what I buy before I buy it, and prefer to hand over as little cash to EA as I can get away with.

• SkittleDiddler says:

Maybe I’m mistaken, but weren’t the full details of Premium’s DLC content known shortly before it came out?

• Hardtarget says:

I’ve not idea what you are talking about but premium was fully announced with what every pack would entail before it came out and there were constantly 50% off codes for it every month since it has come out if you look around.

it was, and has been, great great content

• BobbyDylan says:

No… Fully Detailed it was not. All we knew, when Premium was announced, was the names of the pack, and that they’d each contain 4 maps. It’s preorder DLC, sight unseen. For all you knew at the time, End Game could have been CO-OP maps. This is like saying that A:CM was fully detailed before it was released.
          Personally, I like to know what I’m buying before I hand over money to a company with the track record that EA has.

And I’ve not seen Premium with 50% discounts anywhere, with the exception of the current (devalueing of IP) sale.

• SkittleDiddler says:

Premium has been on sale for 50% off or more at various times since it debuted. You just need to constantly farm the various digital retailer sites to get the best deal.

And I’m pretty sure that EA specified the expansion packs offered in Premium would all contain multiplayer content.

• BobbyDylan says:

It possibly could have been, I’ve not paid that close attention to Premium. My original point was that the individual packs in Premium were cheaper (Or as you say equally priced) to buy seperatly that in one lump sum. So there’s nothing to incentivise players to preorder this at no benifit to anyone except EA’s bottom line. Therefore I don’t think Premium qualifies as a good service when all it does is put money in EA’s accounts for longer.

& CO Op isn’t single player.

• Karl says:

I just checked and the DLC is £11.99 a piece in the UK so you’re totally wrong. Premium is one of the better deals, you get a lot of content and a few other perks, there’s no way it’s cheaper to buy individually. Also I only paid 13€ a few months ago and could have gotten it for 25€ since last summer, there were A LOT of sales.

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

Yeah that’s never been the case with US currency, either.
            Premium (at a premium, even) is at least $10 less than all the expansions separately.

• Hardtarget says:

Bobby, I’m sorry, but you’re just wrong on this.

You can hate on BF3 for whatever reasons you want but if you, by your own accord, haven’t been paying attention to premium then you might want to pick your battles

• BobbyDylan says:

I’m not wrong, and I’m not hating on BF3 mate, I quite enjoy the game. I’ve never paid more than £5 for any of the DLC packs (bar EG, dont have that one yet cos I dont play much these days). SO while I’ll conceed that through Price farming it is possible to perhaps get Premium as cheap as the individual packs (£20 or less) I dont agree that it’s better value that buying them all seperately. Especially when there;s no guarentee of the content or it’s quality.

If Pubs make all their money from preorders what incentivises them to release a quality product? With that in mind, why Preorder DLC when it’s of no benifit to you?

• Gap Gen says:

I don’t have time to watch it, but break it down for me – how many rats died on-screen in QTEs? No, wait, don’t tell me, I don’t want to have the final game spoiled for me. Man, I hope it’s a ton. Maybe there’s a race of rat terrorists you fight. That would be sweet.

4. DarkLiberator says:

Scripted as hell, but the game looks pretty and that’s all that counts right? Seems to be some sort of in game menu for challenge crap and other social stuff.

Sound design is fantastic. Destruction looks top notch.

I’d rather to see MP gameplay tbh.

• LifeSuport says:

‘Movie Guy Voice’

In a world where you can call in an air strike from a hovering helicopter but can’t get the damn thing to land and pick you up in an empty field after you rescued the PACKAGE, you’ll find the most engrossing emotional experience of our day… the thrill of cutting a mans foot off with a single stroke of your combat knife, the sheer triumph of victory after the 40 million dollar attack helicopter pilot decides to save tax payers money and not shoot rockets at your team, the telling of the human bond of exiting an armored vehicle that has a .50 cal machine gun so you can run toward another armored vehicle that people have got out of so they can better shot at you with smaller guns, and that greatest emotion of all, the feeling of freedom as you are given the CHOICE of pressing E or seeing the ‘YOUR DEAD’ screen

B A T T L E F I E L D what was that 4
      coming soon to a theater… wait what we’re still making fucking games… shit

5. Grey Poupon says:

If only it’d be moddable. But since it’s not, ArmA3 will be my choice of long view distance shooty multiplayer game.

• BobbyDylan says:

It wont be moddable. Reason being, this vid could pretty much have been made by Modders if BF3 had tools. It uses almost all of the same assets and generic ideas as BF3 SP did.

No, EA want you to buy BF5 in 2015, (and probably Bad Company 3 in 2014) to BF4 wont have mod tools.

• El_Emmental says:

There was a few reasons why they didn’t provided mod tools for BFBC2 (and later BF3), beside the obvious “we need to sell our meh DLCs and we can’t compete with modders”: http://web.archive.org/web/20120308001919/http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/battlefield-bad-company-2-pc/1350772-so-how-about-modtools.html

Money. It would have cost them money to make all the tools (and not just a few tweaks) usable by modders, plus 2-3 millions of dollars for the licensing. However, they had that money, they could have done it. They chose to please the shareholders and not the gamers.

A journalist (privately) asked Carl Almgren about mod tools in BF4 (after he boasted about the real-time editing tool and the much-improved workflow), and he said something along the lines ‘in theory it is possible, but for the moment we haven’t planned to release editing tools’.

So, unless 20% (at least) of their potential customers refuse to pre-order/buy it unless there’s mod tools/a map editor, such things will never be released.

Since less than 5% of all people who will pre-order BF4 actually know what a “mod” (or modding) is, it will never happen.

• hamish says:

i hope its more than 5% seeing as people bought bf3, because bf2 was good, and bf2 was a success because of the Desert Combat mod, they owe their existence to mods.

• El_Emmental says:

“… seeing as people bought bf3, because bf2 was good, and bf2 was a success because of the Desert Combat mod, they owe their existence to mods.”

They owe the value of the IP (among the gamers) to mods, yes.

However, this: http://www.ng4a.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Battlefield-3-billboard-ad.jpg [an enormous ad in the street]
            … is much more powerful than a bunch of 20-25 years old gamers only talking about BF2 with other BF2 fans on gamers forums/chatrooms.

I never got really serious about Battlefield mods (even though I played some of them rather late, I was mostly about Half-Life 1 mods), but I need to tell you that by knowing (let alone having played it back in the days) what the Desert Combat mod is, you are a member of a very small minority.

6. Shadram says:

All this does is get me excited about what the next Dragon Age game will do with the engine…

• Antonius says:

Drag a beloved franchise even further into the gutter and beat it with overpriced DLC and broken DRM until it squeals?

• Xardas Kane says:

Which, might I add, was hardly a problem in DA2?

But, oh, let’s hate, hating is cool!

• BobbyDylan says:

Pipe down Reticello. How about because it’s true instead.

Last few EA games have and absorbitantly priced DLC (compared to the base game). And EA’s most recent release was broken because of DRM.

People dont hate EA beacuse it’s cool, it’s becasue EA deserve the hate.

• Midroc says:

You must surely mean Mr. Rigatoni? i hate when people get his name wrong.

• Xardas Kane says:

1. Capcom is the worst offender.

2. Are we talking about DA or some random EA games? And are we talking before ANY such information has been released to the public? In fact before even seeing the game in action!

No sir, you are not hating at all!

• Whosi says:

Yeah because it’s not like history ever repeats or anything like that. Well time for some Split Enz anyway.

• El_Emmental says:

@Xardas Kane

1. “Capcom is the worst offender.” therefore, it is okay for a publisher to do anything, as long as it’s not as bad as Capcom.

2. If we weren’t using our knowledge to make choices before a game is released, we wouldn’t be reading RPS.

The very reason why we read about EA, DRMs and games trailers/conference is to acquire a knowledge allowing us to build a set of pre-opinions and expectations before we’re $60/50€ and 2 hours short and sorry/angry/happy/bored because the game is actually meh/crap/good/boring.

If you can’t stand such analyses and reasoning, I don’t know why you’re reading RPS (instead of other news outlets like Kotaku).

• Xardas Kane says:

Capcom is the worst offender, yet nobody seems to be hating IT.

And it’s one thing to analyze facts. But tell me, do you know it will have DRM? Or day one DLCs? Do you even know what the game looks like? NO. You know NOTHING about the game, you are making conclusions ENTIRELY based on thin air , which is, pardon my French, idiotic.

Me, I’ll wait and see what they do with it, I’ll wait for some FACTS. Then I’ll judge.

• SkittleDiddler says:

What does any of that have to do with the engine?

• The Godzilla Hunter says:

Look at t his way: they can hardly do worse, and if they do manage, you probably don’t care about Dragon Age anymore.

• Hoaxfish says:

Apparently there’s a question around if DA3 will use this engine, or an earlier version.

7. arche.exe says:

“Ridiculously pretty” says it all. For me, anyway. I want to preorder it so badly – but after the recent debacles, I’m a bit uncertain.

• Orija says:

After how DICE blatantly lied about facts before and after release of the previous game, I can’t imagine how anyone would want to buy let alone pre-order this one.

Also, it seems they reused the multiplayer models from BF3 in this trailer.

8. John Mirra says:

>“Social persistence to increase replay value… A single player game true to the Battlefield franchise.”

Yeah, like “complete campaign 3 times to unlock all the unique guns”. We already had that sort of persistense in BF3 co-op.

• BobbyDylan says:

” A single Player experiance true to the Battlefield Franchise”

So no contrived story and scripted actions with QTE’s then? Just Bots on the MP maps?

Awesome!

• neofit says:

Boy that would have been awesome. I spent countless hours fighting with and against these bots, even played coop at the the office during lunch. But noooo, apparently it’s better to spend millions on a 5-hours long slightly interactive movie that 3.5 people would go through once wouldn’t remember a week later.

• Bhazor says:

Reminds me of an earlier Battlefield game where the single player was basically a huge AI battlefield in which you could mind jump to any soldier Driver: San Francisco style.

Now that would be a single player experience worth having.

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

This. BF can have single player.
        To me, the heart and soul of BF isn’t actually in multiplayer gaming, but giant maps with non-linear control points and planes and tanks and ships (that you can drive).

• Wurstwaffel says:

I think they’re talking about the characters sticking with you throughout the story, like they did in Bad Company 2. That’s a good thing I say. The faces look great too.
      I very much liked that feeling of being part of that little group in BC2, even though the story was cookie cutter, the characters cracking jokes kind of made up for it.

That outside bit looked maybe somewhat less tunnely than most BF3 SP levels and they even let you drive a car yourself. So let’s hope they go more in that direction.

9. lijenstina says:

Two screens without the american flag. Damn euro pinkos.

:P

10. Roboito says:

I wonder how many Titans it’ll take to run it with ALL the graphics………?

• HisMastersVoice says:

It doesn’t looks that much better compared to BF3 and you can run that game on ultra with fps hitting the hundred mark on the biggest maps without a Titan.

11. BanGyNZ says:

One of these days someones going to do something interesting with this FPS sub-genre right?

• Lars Westergren says:

I’d say Bioshock and Dishonored has taken some stabs at that.

Edit: Oh, *this* subgenre (however you define this). I read it as *the* subgenre (FPS).

• Kollega says:

I’ve thought recently that at some point, someone has to make “Catch-22: The Videogame” – satire on the military stupidity wrapped in an FPS game.

• Lars Westergren says:

Spec Ops: The Line, a.k.a Heart of Darkness for gamers. The message sadly subverted by the publisher mandated “WAR IS AWESOME FUN!” multiplayer parts.

I couldn’t bear playing it long enough for the story and the genre subverting to start though. Linear modern hand holding shooters bore me to tears, the first levels of this game was no exception.

• Kollega says:

Spec Ops isn’t really what i’m thinking about. It’s not anti-war satire game, it’s simply an anti-war game. What i was thinking about was something more comedic, that makes fun of “Call of Dudebro” tropes rather than show their terrible consequences and shout in your face “LOOK WHAT YOU’VE DONE YOU FUCKING ASSHOLE!!!”

• hymnharmonia says:

Catch-22 would be a flightsim, though.

• Kollega says:

Yeah, i didn’t really consider that a proper Catch-22 adaptation would be a flight sim. As pointed out above, perhaps the better example for an FPS genre would be Blackadder Goes Forth (even though if followed to the letter, it’d be the dreaded/wanted WW1 FPS game).

• Grey Poupon says:

There’s also Amnesia. But I might just have a different definition of “interesting” than you.

12. mhcastrillon says:

It looks INSANE.

But no matter how pretty it is, I will buy this game based enterily on the multiplayer.

Still, the chances I will be able to direct supressing fire from my squad towards enemy positions is making me droooooool

13. Coflash says:

Time has passed and graphics have improved, that’s always going to happen, but what’s so special about this apart from the visuals?

As a game and in regards to gameplay, exactly how are they doing anything new? It looks more like a cinematic experience that you get to participate in rather than a game. It’s entirely directed.

And to think when I was a kid playing video games, from around 1996 – 2002, what I thought the future of gaming would be like. This is it. Purty colours and ‘follow the leader’ experiences. I wonder if I had grown up in the current gen, if I too would have such low standards for gameplay.

Thank christ for crowd funded games. Or Kickstarter/Indigogo, you could thank them too.

• CASHMONEYDAD420 says:

Ugh, that was terrible. The game looks like Battlefield 3.5 and that mission was the most generic modern shooter shit I’ve seen. They have all this gorgeous tech and they use it to put lipstick on a pig.

14. WhatKateDoes says:

Still at top looks like Matt LeBlanc is fretting what to do about injured Adrien Brody, whilst looking cool ignoring bigasplosion.

15. Servicemaster says:

And just like that, the SimCity tragedy is forgotten.

Can’t wait to buy this game and attempt to play online only to have connection issues or graphic issues and wait for a patch which will break something else or overpower something else. But hey, at least it all looks pretty, right? God, EA is like an abusive partner.

This is trite shite and should be looked down upon. Now if you’ll excuse me, I have to go masturbate to a pub fund.

• WarThunder says:

Well said – as expected the easily pleased and forgetful ‘mob’ have forgotten all about the recent SimCity fiasco.

I knew it wouldn’t last long.

EA are right – most of us are bloody idiots – show us a few sparkling trinkets and all previous harm is forgotten.

16. Spider Jerusalem says:

i dunno, john. it looks like a pretty big step forward in the modern manshoot.

i mean, you get to open your own doors. your own doors!

17. PearlChoco says:

Is this an old article? I’m pretty sure I’ve already played that game.

18. SkittleDiddler says:

I’m officially done with the Battlefield series. Well, I’m officially done with all upcoming EA games after the SimCity debacle, but it’s just plain disappointing that DICE decided to go with another browngreybluefiltered manshooter set in the present day. Fucking boring.

19. wodin says:

Looked like fun.

20. sharkh20 says:

The overdone lighting effects and dirt on the screen stuff just kills it for me. I turn that way down in every game I play because it looks silly and is a hindrance to my ability to play the game. Unfortunately you can’t in BF3 and I assume you won’t be able to in BF4 as well.

• Flea says:

Yeah, can you imagine being in the army or on a battlefield and that icky dust getting in your eyes and mouth and, ugh, everywhere. Sweat, smoke, dirty clothes, smelly socks… who cares about realistic stuff, they should have just made it all pink!

21. Xardas Kane says:

So how many graphics did you count, Walker? Over 9000? Will it change the WARFACE!!!!! of gaming history?

Ok, three terrible puns in as many sentences, I am done here. And I don’t mean the thread, I mean Battlefield 4. As of late I am becoming more and more disillusioned with gaming and this sounds like exactly the kind of thing that makes me sigh and decide to do something else instead. Press E to be awesome? No, thanks.

But hey, it might be a gritty-pretty screensaver, will have to wait and see. After all, Crysis 3 is damn pretty, I can’t deny I am at least a little bit curious to see how much of a step forward BF4 is.

22. Niko says:

Finally a game where you can shoot people and blow up vehicles and then shoot some more people, yay!

23. Jimmy Z says:

Maybe it’s just me, but having been playing BF3 at ultra settings, this new offering doesn’t look *that* much prettier to me. I mean, it *is* pretty, but I honestly don’t think it’s that much prettier than the previous one, which admittedly is already a gorgeous game (except for the stupid fucking sun glare and dust effects, which seem to be returning…)

But like others have said, WHO GIVES A SHIT ABOUT YOUR STUPID FUCKING SINGLE PLAYER SHIT I PROBABLY WON’T TOUCH ANYWAY, SHOW ME THE M-O-T-H-E-R-F-U-C-K-I-N-G MULTIPLAYER. I mean this is a *Battlefield* game we’re talking about, right?

24. Cytrom says:

Being pretty means jack shit, if there’s zero interactivity. I might as well look at a pretty picture. Most of it actually IS just a pretty picture (the nice, distant horizon is just an interactive skybox)

Also: “Hey look at all the awesome destruction in this scene!!” I bet a million dollars that those are just a few scripted pieces of destructable crap littered around few and far beetween per map, and most of the stuff is completely indestructable… just like battlefield 3. A step backwards from bad company 2.

• Spakkenkhrist says:

Whilst graphical fidelity is not the be all and end all it certainly does a hell of a lot for immersion, also it’s a military shooter, the maximum interaction with the environment is only likely to be shoot it or use it for cover, and that’s not a condemnation of the genre.

25. distantlurker says:

I think John’s been watching Stewart Lee reruns. Most entertaining piece.

Haven’t bought an out and out shooter since I fell asleep playing Modern Warfare 2 but I appreciate the heads up all the same.

/tiphat

26. SuffixTreeMonkey says:

Ooh, a lady! Now my main question is: will there be women soldiers in multiplayer?

Taking a guess, I doubt that they will be; the knife kill animations in BF3 are quite gruesome now, and seeing that it’s a woman I’m currently stabbing with my ACB-90 up close… that would probably shake me up a bit. (Although it could be a preconceived notion — women and gay men don’t seem to mind sticking knives to those beautiful creatures already fighting in BF3. Or do they?)

(Plus I guess it could be the same barely-present pilot that was in BF3.)

• WhatKateDoes says:

@Battlefield: We will make note of your suggestion.

This in response to my plea of female player option for multiplayer this time around, you know, seeing as its set in the future and all, and we wimmin folk will have had time to fill out the ranks a bit.

…also.. I know everyone has got SP FPS(cod) fatigue… but I thought it looked quite exciting, lol.

27. Kid_A says:

I would have rather played a game about actually fishing in Baku.

28. rustybroomhandle says:

What if the idea here is to not have multiplayer at all… continue to feed BF3 with multiplayer DLC and keep feeding it for a few years as it is currently a popular esports game. And at the same time pushing BF4 as a single player game and feeding it DLC accordingly. Basically, having two cows instead of one.

• SuffixTreeMonkey says:

They know they have a large player base. They know said player base, much like CoD’s, may be willing to buy another 60$ game + 60$ Premium deal. So, no. BF4 MP is happening.

That said, *I* am likely to just keep playing BF3. Unless they announce something truly innovative in multiplayer. No, not naval combat.

29. RedViv says:

Game publicity is weird. Show the solo part of your grand multiplayer franchise! Expand only the superfluous multiplayer of your great singleplayer game! More polygons mean more emotions! MOBA ALL THE THINGS BECAUSE EVERONE WILL PLAY ALL THAT!

I need my tea now.

30. HisMastersVoice says:

Reading over the comments section is seems like some people are suffering from military fps overdose. Which is fine, don’t get me wrong. But surely to overdose on those, one would have to play them and I do feel like every time one of those shows up people are all, like “oh no, another brown coffee shooter, I won’t play it”.

Is it some sort of osmotic overdose? Do you get tired of a genre just because it exists, even if you don’t actively seek any contact with it?

• Xardas Kane says:

It’s been close to SIX YEARS since Modern Warfare came out. how many Modern military shooters do you think have come out in these 6 years exactly?? I haven’t touched one in two and a half years, and yes, I AM suffering from an overdose, so ease up on the psychoanalysis please.

• Cytrom says:

The problem is that ALL the fps developement budgets go to generic MMS-ers, and there are ZERO real FPS-es made anymore… and if you happenend to like games like quake, unreal, painkiller, half life, etc… you know fps-es with either over the top action, interactivity, creativity and variety, then tough luck for you.

• Misnomer says:

Someone should tell Borderlands 1 and 2, Planetside, Tribes Ascend, Bioshock Infinite, Halo (whatever number they are on), Shootmania, etc… that they don’t exist or have zero funding. I am sure they will be disappointed to hear it.

31. savagenick says:

Fuck EA.

Sorry, nobody had said it yet.

On a serious note, I loved BF2 and 3 and have never even loaded single player on either. I’m genuinely considering not bothering with this though after EA’s recent performances ruining Sim City, Dead Space, Dragon Age etc etc.

32. dmoe says:

So a slight upgrade. Enjoy your BattleMadden games kids.

33. FurryLippedSquid says:

No dice.

34. Siresly says:

The intro was good, the turn around and shoot helicopter in the face with bloopgun scene was good. Almost exclusively thanks to Bonnie Tyler.

And then there was everything else.

I’ll say that there’s some potential with the apparent order system. Although for all I know all it is is what they’re showing in the video.

The social/stats bar is….why is it? I’m guessing there’s supposed to be some sort of functionality there beyond just being an unnecessary autolog clone constantly reminding you of how many chalices you’ve got?

35. Jabberslops says:

Oh look, pretty graphics that will be turned to lowest settings in multiplayer, except view distance.

This shows me nothing that would interest 80% of the people who will be buying Battlefield 4. It’s a Multiplayer game. It doesn’t need Singleplayer, because nobody wants it and barely anyone played the BF3 SP campaign. Those who did play BF3 SP hated it. How does it make good business sense to make the same garbage again?

For the Battlefield numbered series, I believe I am done with it. I’m not buying another after all the problems that Battlefield 3 has that have been there since the game released. The most glaring of them being the horrible hit reg, general performance issues like stuttering network and video lag, and the game constantly having something broken with every patch. Many people didn’t notice any of it. They were either blind to the problems or didn’t care and had no issues dealing with them.

Bad Company 2 on the other hand was not trying to be a replacement for “Regular” Battlefield, nor was it trying to be a “True” Battlefield game. For what it was, it was a good game, and honestly it is overall a better Battlefield game and experience than BF3. Yes, BC2 has tons of issues, but most of them were fixed or made less annoying.

I hope they make BC3 exactly like BC2, but rebalance the Classes some, add more weapon and kit customization and possibly add prone (honestly, the game didn’t need it, but it would have come in handy many times). The biggest issue I can think of that Bad Company 2 had, was not being supported that well after release and a year after. New expansions would have been very welcomed, but EA wanted to move everyone to Battlefield 3.

So assuming Bad Company 3 is both made by the same devs who made BC2 and plays like BC2, I will most likely be picking that up instead of Battlefield 4. That is assuming I even bother with EA games ever again.

• SuicideKing says:

My thoughts exactly. Still can’t play BF3 properly today because my country doesn’t have a single server.

Lowest ping i can usually get is 250.

• BBboy20 says:

I’ve been pondering about them making BC3 instead and yet the moment that song came up I realized my instincts were right on the money all along. All my cynicism would have went away if I saw Sweetwater, Haggard, and Redford in that car snarking at each other on how they got into such a predicament.

36. Svant says:

I just wish FPS action games would stop looking at the worst action movies for inspiration… I mean that bloody helicopter, why? It would make mincemeat of them in 0.1 seconds. Just don’t add it, if you want feels, immersion and all that shit? MAKE IT BELIEVABLE FFS. Don’t go all in during the first 5 minutes of the game, don’t ridiculous over the top action scenes every 2 seconds. Games really need to slow down…

They all just create this gimmick that is awesome and then overuse the shit out of it so its just tedious and boring 10 minutes later. The game needs to have less HOLY CRAP moments to actually make those moments be HOLY CRAP!

37. Rao Dao Zao says:

Destructible scenery?

Every now and then it falls apart!

38. kyrieee says:

Military power fantasies now have better graphics.

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING

39. LetSam says:

The controls looked so sloppy I kept thinking the entire time he could just stealth his way through. Then I remembered these are scripted sequences, so even though the player character was the only one spotted by the patrol, the patrol would have stopped and opened fire anyway.

40. Milky1985 says:

To give them credit at about 6 minutes in that looks very much like an outdoor area that is decidedly not a corridor, which is a great improvement from the norm.

However it remains to be seen if this is a one off area then its back to the corridors (as tbh I am expecting) or if its all like that, if its the latter it could actually be a welcome change.

Story will still be the same but baby steps are good.

41. Dowr says:

It’s a damn shame this great engine is being solely used to produce EA crap.

42. boldin says:

00:34: Since I’m not raised by western culture, Bonnie Tyler doesn’t really give any emotional resonance.

01:27: Got to be really very unlucky and very clumsy to get stuck at the back seat of an SUV (especially having only 1 leg as it appears later)

01:57: Before I thought DICE cared about little details. Not the issue any more, I guess. Azerbaijani corridor looks completely western/generic, no sign of soviet style building. Lamps, metal closets (placed erratically without any thinking), windows, paint colors – devs had no idea how it should look.

02:49: Boo, typical western desks in a post-soviet school. Devs supposed to be swedes, not americans, why so much ignorance?

03:18: Pigeons with triangles instead of wings sitting right behind the corridor door (darkest part of the room is so much fun, and because, hey, birds never use windows, they are too civilized) waiting to ambush anyone who’d try to sneak in.

03:25: Fellow american. Sweet, they hide in a building on a supposedly covert mission, and the guy has 2 american flags on his arms, 1 on his back and TWO MORE on his chest. Ok, he’s patriotic enough.

03:29: Oh, great. The only working lamp in the building is the one slinging on a cord from the ceiling. I guess, this one must’ve been from a smarter breed of lamps, provident enough to get some batteries, just in case.

03:45: Ok, just in case world doesn’t know: Azerbaijan isn’t in Iraq. You can’t just walk around there carrying M16s and looking for some intel. You’ll get arrested by police. Even if you’re an american. Not democratic at all, I know.

04:15: Azerbaijani street. Another hymn (even a glee) to ignorance. Just who would leave wooden planks right in the open? Wood is a good material it wouldn’t be just lying around in a poor neighborhood. And shitty streets… well, even poor people have decency to clean the places they live in, you know. America is the only place in the world where it doesn’t apply, I guess.

04:22: Irish jumps out of the window, some invisible girls suddenly start screaming out loud. My imagination istantly paints a group of susceptible busty cheerleaders. Unfortunately, the cameraman doesn’t show them.

06:06: Birds, birds, BIRDS! Birds everywhere. Cause building site is surely THE place to feed in a city. Concrete is good for beaks, didn’t you know?

06:19: Trucks (not even russian made) going somwhere. Sure it’s the damn Ruskies death squads on a hunt and not some building company vans trying to actually work.

06:29: A russian BUGGY. Hell, Russia, being mostly a desert country, is well known for its buggies. Last year the export of russian buggies had finally outgrew (um, not sure about this one, english isn’t my native :)) missile nuclearheads. So, yeah, a BUGGY. Not UAZ jeep. Not well known in BF universe Vodnik APC. But BUGGY.
    Cause why the f*ck not, eh?

06:42 New to the series: now when you grip your hand twice it makes a tiny beep.

06:53 Greande Launcher. Cause When a blind gunner shoots at you you don’t shoot it back with a grenade launcher, right? It’s too easy. Instead you use it to break a wall and then try to sluggishly flank the gunner with a shotgun.

07:14 Friendly helicopter is 50 meters away. But nooo, it won’t land and pick us up. Because it’s NOT THE TIME. Or because it’s Tuesday and on tuesdays helis pick up people only from tops of skyscrapers. Go figure.
    Also, who needs your NPC team, right? Don’t wait for them, just drive forward, they’ll catch up eventually.

07:21 Aha! I’ve finally got you, evil building company death squad van! Die!!!111

07:23 Friendly heli still flies around, leisurely strolling in the air 10 meters high above enemy positions. The pilots are high as well I presume. They even speak woman voices. It’s fun!

07:42 Protagonist gets shot 5 times. Gamepad is bad, autoheal is good. It’s called ‘balance’, baby.

08:42 Um, is it really BF4 and not BF3? You sure? Oh, okay. It’s just, you know, ruskies are the same. Yeah I know, they didn’t stop being russians from the last time, true, but… I mean, well, could you AT LEAST change their gear a little? Same helmets, same hats, same oversized backpacks, same knife animation… ah, nevermind.

09:02 Heli has stopped doing all that tiresome forward moving thing and now just stands still right above enemy positions. Probably, the pilots have had a hard time passing joint to each other and now are on a small ‘chill out’ break.

09:40 The Evil Building Building Death Squad rides in another bunch of trucks on a road ahead. The trick is, they are driving AWAY from the protagonist. Perplexing! Wwe must chase them and kill every brick laying bastard inside!

10:08 Done.

11:03 Okay, I won’t even ask why the unfinished factory building stands in the middle of a huge building site and is so OLD it has full grown trees in it. I’d like to ask, why in gods name, does it have a working elevator? Or it’s a cousin of that lamp? Or uncle, probably, called by the youngings “Elevator The Wise” or “That Weird Old Geezer Who Never left Home Without Batteries”.

11:24 AHA! Evil Helicopter on The Roof scene! Now that’s what they meant when they said about new wave of entertainment! Never saw that coming!
    Also, shooting down some pesky americans with a forward mountgun instead of feeding them a rocketpod or two – that’s a brilliant script move! Shows that russians lprefer to conserve ammo, what a touch of realism!
    Also, part 2. Sure, don’t shoot american heli it’s unimportant (and blatantly high, don’t forget) so better concentrate terribly inconsisted fire on some folks on the roof cause they clearly the highest threat.

13:09: Fell from a skyscraper factory? Just dust off your uniform and you’re good to go. But, remember, that dusting off is very important! See that guy over there? He didn’t do it and now he’s f*cked up. Go cut his leg cause it clearly easier than finding a lever and moving that concrete block with THREE SUPERMACHOPOWERFUL ALPHAMALES.

15:29 A Helicopter Chasing Car Scene! Wish I had a dollar every time I see it. Beat cliche with a cliche, what can I say.

16:02 Soo many particles from that falling sky beat! Wooo! New age of gaming, you see where all you computing power goes?

16:55 Any time baby, any time. Just show me something really exciting instead of this pile of rubbish called “gameplay trailer”.

• SuicideKing says:

Don’t forget, you’ll have to open Origin 2, whichi will log in to your Origin account and open your internet browser, that’ll log in to Battlelog 2 using your Origin account, that’ll finally give you a choice of opening the three parts of the game which you have to repeat multiple times if you’re playing multiplayer. Each time it takes over 3 minutes to load, btw.

• Kobest says:

Cheers, man! :)

• Arglebargle says:

Hilarious! Elevator the Wise! A new fave.

Did you miss the great trick where he blows up the helicopter by leaning out the (open) window and shooting, then careens into the giant fishing pond, where suddenly the vehicle is all sealed up tight against the water? So they can have The Meaningful Sacrifice Scene, Part 2? The continuity editor needs five smacks with the big paddle. And so much more.

• boldin says:

methinks he opened the door – shooting position was way lower than the window frame.
        But still – right before it the Havoc made a swiss cheese out of the car so it had to sink like a brick.

• Ernesto25 says:

This post made my day.

• cpt_freakout says:

Well played!

• Shadowcat says:

Hilarious :)

I think the 07:14 entry was my favourite part of the trailer, for two inexplicable abandonments in quick succession.

• analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

One spleen vented *applause*

Mind re: The Elevator, as it’s a designated pickup point maybe an undercover civilian operative who reconnoitred the spot turned the power on as that would be the sensible thing to do!

• boldin says:

The whole covert air extraction idea here is a complete and utter rubbish. Azerbaijan is a former soviet republic and thus is filled to the brim with all kinds of radars and other telemetry stations, especially its capital Baku. Squeezing a covert ops helicopter there is the same as russians trying to pick up their spetsnaz in the outskirts of, I don’t know, Edinbourgh. Moronic, right?

• Grargh says:

The way that knife cut through a leg he could have just used it to split the concrete block in half, I guess. And to throw away a high-level item like that!

• Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

I hereby award you this honourary beard. Wear it with pride.

• fillocke says:

Finally registered here just to reply to your post. Top work, sir/madam. Hats off.

• Benville says:

Registered to RPS just to reply to this post. Pure comedy genius.

43. SuicideKing says:

“Social persistence to increase replay value”

Leaderboards…

44. Professor Snake says:

Oh hi Battlefield 3.2.
    I didn’t imagine that the game would be recycling BF3′s assets on such a scale.
    RIP franchise, again.

45. alex_v says:

I find that I agree with every word, but at the same time there’s something sad and slightly regressive about just wanting another multiplayer military shooter, just as there is for seeing another single-player military shooter. Wouldn’t a better attitude be to want something different, rather than just craving more of the same, whether multiplayer or single-player?

I honestly don’t think everyone buys these military shooters for the multiplayer. The hardcore may, but I bet a big proportion also only play the single-player.

• SuicideKing says:

But isn’t that what BF2 did?

• Nick says:

But Battlefield as a series has always been about multiplayer, at best there were bots. Its only the (I am making an educated guess here) stupid fucking EA suits that made BF3 have a singleplayer at all, and it was the worst thing ever.

• Ci2e says:

“Also, for launches and reveals every Call of Duty has used single-player set-pieces to sell their engine and game. It would be extremely brave of BF4 to do any different.”

This proves BF3 isn’t a true sequel to BF2, and BF4 isn’t a true sequel to BF2. They are just proving they know how to count, but have no memory.

I hope they don’t fuck up the atk choppers ability to barrel roll this time around.

46. Surlywombat says:

Pretty much everyone I know buys Battlefield for the MP, and they were pretty satisfied with it. I did hear rumblings that people who brought it for single player (it does happen.. especially on consoles), weren’t quite as happy.

So once again its a case of the trailer not really being aimed at “us”, its aimed increasing the sales by getting the single players in. As said in the article, you don’t *need* to announce MP for a multiplayer game, because anyone who cares about the MP knows that it will be there.

47. SuicideKing says:

I think the next-gen multiplayer military shooter we’re waiting for is ArmA 3, not any of this.

• PopeRatzo says:

You may be right. I haven’t played the ARMA games much because I’m generally not that good at sims, and I actually have some philosophical problems with the notion of sims. I’ll have to take another look.

48. Artista says:

I hope this game is a success when it’s released. Maybe then publishers will see that there’s a market for military shooters.

Comment on this story