Fiddle With The Gundamentals In Relock

By Craig Pearson on March 27th, 2013 at 4:00 pm.

The world's most exciting screenshot!
It’s always interesting seeing how games come to be. Take Relock: it was inspired by Wolfire‘s excellent Receiver, a complicated gun sim that was made for the 7-day FPS challenge in the middle of last year. Receiver is excellent, but with Wolfire currently making a wabbit kung-fu sim, it’s unlikely to get much love. So Relock is here to give the people that loved Receiver something to be excited about, though it’s missing the oddball story, NPCs, and randomly created levels. So what does it have?

Multiplayer! The important thing here is it plans to take Receiver’s oh-god-how-the-hell-does-this-thing-work panic online. I’ve no idea how it’ll feel yet, as there’s only an out-dated and limited single-player demo to play with so far, but I like the idea of facing off against people only to watch the magazine drop out of the gun. Who am I kidding? That’ll be me every time. So far it’s not quite as complicated as Receiver, but it’s still a step up from most ‘hit button to game’ shooters.

The single-player demo has none of the panic, as you’re in a shooting range, but I like the aesthetics, which are clean and simple, and the gun’s clickiness is pleasant enough for me to keep tracking this one.

This is a very alpha video, so there’s more missing than there is actual game.

It’s on Greenlight, if you’re keen. And I hear there’s going to be a multiplayer test on April 2nd.

, , , , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

Seems odd that the focus would be on “guns working exactly as they do in real life” while also having a floating ammunition indicator next to the gun.

• barney says:

‘s true — after Amnesia’s beautiful HUDlessness and Dead Space’s reserved still-shooting-shit-but-a-bit-more-experiential, I expect creative stuff from my ‘refreshingly original’ or whatever indie FPS.

Like FOV that increases as your ammo depletes?

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

I liked the King Kong (game) idea, where the player-character would mutter out loud the number of shots remaining when firing. Or perhaps a button to hold down (which disables firing while you hold it) to make the player-character estimate the number of bullets by weight. “Hmm, about half full. Maybe a little more. At least seven bullets. Nine? No, definitely eight”

• Quatlo says:

I loved that system in red orchestra, adds great value to tension and you can’t reload after every shot like in most shooters because you actually carry that ammo in magazines and not in general amount, so mag with 25/30 shots will stay this way untill you resupply.

Oh that anxious moments when you juggle your magazines because every one has 5 shots left. Damn, I miss that game.

felisc says:

what was the first game to do that “character counting out loud” ?
          I thought it was Trespasser, maybe there’s one that pre-dates it ?

• Snargelfargen says:

Trespasser did this. So many brilliant ideas in that game.

Apparently I’m very, very late to comment. woops

• Skiddings says:

It works really well in RO2. I just got used to counting rifle rounds in my head, and just estimating how many you had left when using a machine gun.

darkChozo says:

Maybe I’m missing something, but I don’t see an ammo indicator there, just controls. Not exactly realistic, sure, but it’s more in the realm of stuff a character would reasonably know but a player may not (ie. how to move their hands).

EDIT: In light of the above comment, I now want a button to have the player character read out controls. “Well, as long as I’m here, better prepare for that gun trivia later today. This one here, it’s a CSC-C2 Modular Firearm. If you want to toggle the safety, you reach under it and pull up, kind of a V-shape motion. V for safe, that’s how I remember it.”

• iucounu says:

You are missing something. There’s a little box-like stack of white lines to the left hand side which diminishes with each shot.

darkChozo says:

Ah, there we go, stupid inattention blindness. Objection withdrawn, that is a silly thing to include in this kind of game.

• CGDN says:

I’d rather that the range comes with a set of firearms manuals, complete with labeled diagrams, each part labeled by keybind.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

Respectfully, I believe you meant to say “blunderbusses functioning as one would find on the game reserve, without some form of disembodied cricket score card keeping watch”, did you not, Lord Smingleigh?

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

I’m trying to be hip with the lingo of the modern hepcats, daddy-o.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

Of course. I apologise for my boorish and apprenticed behaviour, Lord Smingleigh. Please don’t get up, I shall go and self-flagellate in the servants quarters with the Number 3 birching stick. Saving the leather of your favourite thrashing gauntlet is the very least I can do.

• CGDN says:

It seems from the video that the counter is only present in the range, while in operation, the firearm lacks the assistive features.

2. Tancosin says:

From the headline I thought this would be about a Gundam game.

• Soulstrider says:

Me too, I was getting happy for us getting one on PC. Even if 80% of them are utter crap.

3. BlacKHeaDSg1 says:

It’s looks like that concept “was taken” from experimental game Receiver from Wolfire Games …

MajorManiac says:

This could be a brilliant game if you become a more advanced player through skill rather than levelling up.

It would be great if they could make efficient gun use as for-filling as balancing the power systems in a TIE-Fighter.

5. Zenicetus says:

I dunno…. guns are very simple machines, especially something like a double-action Glock pistol or a pump shotgun. A keyboard layout is a clumsy substitute for the controls that lay under your hand on a real gun, and the operations become automatic if you practice enough in real life.

A realistic shooting system wouldn’t be so much about operating the firearm, it would be more about the human factors that limit accuracy: For example, your aim degrading after running up a flight of stairs because you’re out of breath and your heart is pounding. Or your hand is going numb after firing X number of consecutive rounds with a high-powered weapon.

Real-world tactical shooting matches do put an emphasis on things like how fast you can drop a clip and reload, but they’re also designed to physically stress the shooter’s body while quickly moving between target areas. That’s where games just aren’t realistic at all.

• Drakedude says:

Now is that an excellent idea.

wengart says:

Many games do model the human based issues. They are probably not as in depth as they could be but they are fairly common.

Anyway this style of game isn’t meant to be straight up realistic in the sense that it accurately models what it would be like to operate a firearm, and run a mile and then trying to engage a target.

What it does do is model, in it’s own way, the panicked nature of a firefight. While having someone fumble with their gun a lot isn’t necessarily realistic it does create a sense of panic in the player that would not occur otherwise. This is an emotions simulator more than a firearms simulator.

• Moni says:

I’d like more shooty games to just rip off Gears of Wars style active reloads.

Might solve the fiddly keyboard keys for each action problem if the reload button was context sensitive:

eject -> insert -> chamber -> charge

6. zeekthegeek says:

Isn’t REceiver already opensourced.

7. MrUnimport says:

To be honest, as much fun as Receiver is, a few hours of practice is all you need to make firing and reloading completely rote, and then the game stops being fun. I can’t really see this having much longer legs.

8. Felix says:

I found Receiver very pleasant and certainly panic-inducing when encountering an enemy. It’s simulation of operating the firearm was also very interesting and respectable. It’s a good concept and I think Receiver actually has a good game somewhere in it, though not as a multiplayer game.

The main issue with this game, as with any simulation, is the loss of tactility of the actual thing being simulated. In this case, the lack of any kind of gun controller. A real gun is far less frustrating to operate since it is designed to be ergonomic and one’s fingers aren’t preoccupied with moving one’s legs when operating a weapon. This is besides the simulation of using a real weapon being vastly different from the simulation of operating a vehicle, on a conceptual level.

9. ryke says:

So… “Giddle with the Fundamentals”?