Just SWAT The Doctor Ordered: Intruder

By Craig Pearson on March 27th, 2013 at 5:00 pm.

Pretend it's firing, okay.
It’s just a scooch over a year since RPS first peeked into the indie tactical shooter, Intruder. It looked good enough to hang around the back of my brain, insistently waiting for me to remember to check it out again. And today I did. Intruder looks like the sort of game that you’d make if you loved tactical shooters, but don’t care about major cities or worry about dramatic plot twists. Just a couple of teams in a confined space with a lot of guns and gadgets.

I love watching work-in-progress videos from developers who value the game’s capabilities over everything else. So you’ll see a bunch of neat features in these next few videos, but with floating players that look like they’ve been frozen and then partially defrosted. It is alpha. It is expected.

The laser sensor looks like the toy of properly sneaky players. It sticks to almost any solid surface and beeps you when someone passes. It can be placed on walls and doorways, but more importantly it can be really hidden in dark corners and under desks, which is important because the other team can disable it if they see it. Combine it with a remote bomb and you have a particularly evil set-up.

At the end of the video they mention working on lock-picking, which they managed to get working for the following video. It’s slow and terrifying. You’ll also see how homely they’ve made the level: it’s no longer an empty showroom. It now feels like a posh person’s minimalist dream house. Handily the modern sofa is the perfect size for a man to crouch behind. The firefight at the end of this video, lit by the flashes of the guns, has pretty much sold me. I want this. I miss SWAT 4.

There is no release date, but you should tell them on Twitter if you’re excited about it. Maybe they’ll ask us all us to play?

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. Muzman says:

Hide your kids.
    Hide your wife

2. MajorManiac says:

These guys are really inspiring. I really like the functional design.

Wonder if they will ever make bots in the game? I’d really like to be able to co-op this with my friends. Which is technically possible against other players, but different.

3. SuperNashwanPower says:

My Rainbow Six: Raven Shield gland just made a squee

• GunnerMcCaffrey says:

Goldeneye nerve bundle for me. (It’s the one that governs running around sticking proximity mines on door frames and the sides of ammo boxes.)

• BooleanBob says:

My first thought on seeing the screenshot was ‘FRIGATE!’.

• zul says:

Oooohhh to go back in time for some proxy mine spammage of Archives…

4. Hoaxfish says:

I wonder how far you could push a game focused on detectors, remote detonators, and other things like that, while not including any guns.

also

• darkChozo says:

I think I’d prefer that over what I’m seeing here. Guards vs. thieves or something, where the guards have traps and *insert melee weapon here* and thieves have hollywood hacking PDAs and *insert moderately weaker melee weapon here*. Didn’t Splinter Cell Conviction do something like that, at least to a limited degree?

My fear would be that, despite all the cool traps, most fights will end up in two people walking into each other and having a reflex fight. I’m far too FPS-fatigued to find that interesting right now.

• Phendron says:

From the looks of it, the game will be focused on giving the patient, diligent player a huge advantage, which will hopefully discourage running and gunning.

• darkChozo says:

I’d hope so, but it wouldn’t exactly be the first time that a trailer shows cool tactics that are completely ineffectual in a real game. For example, for the bridge explosive trap bit, is it more effective to take the time and resources to set up the trap than it would be to just camp the bridge? Will the reward be worth the fact that you basically have to stay still and can only cover a limited area? Will traps be more effective than sitting in the corner of a room and shooting anyone who walks in?

Counterstrike-style matches (I’m assuming this is going to be a one-spawn 5v5 kind of thing, given the game) would help a bit, as would awkward or limited shooting mechanics. And honestly, a lot of it is that “multiplayer competitive FPS” isn’t really something that appeals to me nowadays.

• MrOtton says:

To pick up the discussion again: Most of the time going in run and gun style won’t help you to win. If you are guards, the intruders will just vanish and you won’t know who to shoot at. You better set up the rooms with sensors and remote charges then. And as an intruder, going slow and communicating with your team and discussing tactics wins (also as guards. That is fun and that is what the game is about.

• DrollRemark says:

It was the three Splinter Cells prior to Conviction, Spies vs Mercenaries mode. Spies have gadgets, acrobatics and a stun pistol, mercs have traps, and big guns. I only really played the Pandora Tomorrow version of it (possibly a bit of Chaos Theory too it’s hard to remember), but it was absolutely bloody brilliant. I miss it.

• Malibu Stacey says:

You end up with the classic Spy vs Spy game from the 8-bit era.

5. Gap Gen says:

I know it’s an old joke, but whatever: I can’t wait to come Intruder window.

6. brulleks says:

I too loved SWAT 4, so this is beginning to tickle my love gland also.

I decided to look up the history of SWAT 4, to see why we haven’t had a follow-up – never realised it was Irrational Games as well, just remembered the publishers being the now sadly defunct Sierra.

Just look at this list of Irrational games:

1999 System Shock 2
    2002 Freedom Force
    2004 Tribes: Vengeance
    2005 Freedom Force vs the 3rd Reich
    2005 SWAT 4
    2006 SWAT 4: The Stetchkov Syndicate
    2007 BioShock
    2013 BioShock Infinite

How’s that for a record? Incroyable.

7. slerbal says:

I want this. I hope this can become a worthy SWAT4 successor! :)

8. rebb says:

Looking at this and the recent Relock news, i think it may be time for a new tag : floating guns.

9. Lacero says:

The screenshot at the top reminds me of the clifftop playboy mansion mission in hitman blood money.

10. Heliocentric says:

You don’t miss SWAT 4, you just need to reinstall it, (unless you want it digitally which is apparently impossible) the game is as awesome as it ever was. Gamespy binned support? Get your preferred granny-tazer obsessives on game ranger (http://www.gameranger.com/games/). Job done.

• diamondmx says:

I got SWAT 4 from a digital service, I think it was Direct2Drive

Edit: It was, but now GameFly owns that url and no longer sells it. (Though they will let me continue to download it, which is nice)

11. strangeloup says:

I’m torn between the aesthetic being “minimal cool” and “bollocks, we forgot the textures”.

• RaiderJoe says:

I’m pretty sure it’s just that they haven’t made any yet.

• strangeloup says:

You present a compelling argument, sir.

• MrUnimport says:

Does that mean we might also get hands at some point or is it just going to be teams of Receivers facing off?

I think I prefer no textures to bad textures, really.

12. RobStorm says:

Hey I’m one of the developer’s on the game and I’d be pleased to answer questions people might have. Also thank to RPS for the great article =) I’d love if you guys joined us some time soon.

13. corinoco says:

They should talk to some real architects. Their plans are almost plausible, but not quite. 1:43 – female bathrooms are ALWAYS larger than male bathrooms as they need more stalls. We stopped making female bathrooms smaller due to less female employees back in the eighties, shortly before legislation in most 1st world countries made it mandatory to put equal bathrooms in. Also, any workplace needs an ‘accessible’ bathroom (what used to be called ‘disabled’, but think about it, who wants to use a disabled bathroom? ew.) which is missing from these plans. And a lift. While we are at it, how come we don’t have decent video game characters in wheelchairs yet? Think people in wheelchairs aren’t tough? Try playing basketball against them without leg armor.

• RobStorm says:

Hey glad you are talking about the architecture because part of what we want is interesting modern or midcentury modern style architecture. The men’s bathroom now is not larger now, the left side is a janitor’s closet, so we will have an update to this map. There is an elevator on the right side of the map as well. Also we were thinking of having a character in the game be in a wheelchair so that we had to build the buildings to code, but bear in mind that this facility is not one that is easily accessible by the public.