Meta, Man: Knights of Pen & Paper +1 PC-Bound

By Alec Meer on March 27th, 2013 at 3:00 pm.

I’m yet to play Knights of Pen & Paper on the 10″ electronic information slab I’m afraid to admit I own, but I hear great things about this RPG about playing an RPG. So, with some reservations about how mobile-y it could be, I am heartened to hear that a revised version is on its way to PC, with help from a money injection from the ever-unpredictable Paradox.

Here’s what it looks like. Prepare for blip-bloppy noises:

D’aww. The high concept is that you’re actually directing the activites of a group of pen and paper roleplayers, and their DM. You even get to upgrade the DM’s table for buffs. It’s a lovely idea, and hopefully not too cute in practice, but we’ll find out when Brazilian studio Behold’s +1 version of the game arrives in ‘Q2′ of this year. It’s also coming out on Macintoshes, for people who are in a position to throw money away, and Linux, for people who feel that our choice of computer operating system defines who we are. And yes, that sentence was jam-packed with irony and/or hypocrisy.

More details on the game are on its Facebook page.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. pakoito says:

I would recommend against it, it’s just one of those grindy mobile games like Kairosoft’s.

• onsamyj says:

Yes, but funny! On smartphone, where mindless is OK (you can do something else while playing, you know), it’s good. Not great, but good.

I hope they drop microtransactions for PC version (yes, they are there *sigh*), and because of that it would be less grindy.

• rawrty says:

Yes, excellent idea. I expected some grind with this game, not always a bad thing. But it was too grindy for my taste.

I rather enjoyed the ‘meta-items’ you could purchase for the Dungeon Master and his room. They make it easier on your party (allowing more party members, exp bonuses, etc) so less grindy, but they simply cost too much to get at a decent pace.

I suspect this is just to get people to purchase gold or other items using real money. It’s a shame, because otherwise it would be really enjoyable. I think if they cut back the in-game prices so you could aquire the meta-items and perhaps gear for you character at a more acceptable rate it would make the grind a bit more tolerable.

• dontnormally says:

Hi guys! I played this game, and the microtransactions were neigh-on non-existent for me.

It is incredibly easy to gobble up Gold with your first play-through. Then, on your second play-through, you still have the Gold. I definitely did not buy a single thing with real money and not once did I feel “behind the curve” because of it.

• Quickpull says:

I picked this game up on my phone a while back because of all the hype and because it looked cute and funny. The charm wore off very fast and I deleted it after about a week. This game is SOOOO grindy.

• Lobotomist says:

The game has a great idea and great presentation. And than there is nothing more there…
        They literally built the game around grind.

Its fun for short time on phone.

There is literally no chance this game can hold any sway on PC if its not enriched with some kind of “point”

• Teovald says:

Kairosoft actually makes its grindish mecanics work (at least for some time), I became very rapidly bored with knights of pen & paper. It is only boring grind, nothing else.

slerbal says:

I completely agree. Avoid!

I enjoyed it for a bit on my Android tablet, but honestly it is nothing more than complete grind and once the initial enthusiasm wears off it got old really quickly.

Frankly I’m not even sure it is actually a game. I never did anything beyond following a set formula in each fight, and overall my interaction with the game was basically zero. It essentially plays itself.

On a mobile platform that can work to fill time when you otherwise would be getting frustrated by train delays, but on a PC definitely not. Compared to a classic mobile game like Plants vs Zombies which I have enjoyed on both, this is a non starter.

Sunjumper says:

It is not more grindy than many classical RPGs.
    There is an amusing story tying things together, combat is actually more clever than it looks at first and there are enough different classes for the players to choose from to give it some decent variation.

I found it to be quite entertaining.

3. Jeremy says:

I’m not sure what price they’ll be hitting on the PC, but I really enjoyed the game on my mobile. It can be a little grindy I suppose, but I liked the mechanics of the battles, and you can create a lot of different party combinations to keep it interesting. Most battles are as a result of questing, and you don’t really start a fight unless you actively choose to start it, so that’s not much of an issue in my mind.

4. Koozer says:

I must concur, I didn’t much like it. It bills itself as having a clever meta-story and nods to D&D, but in practice you just grind mobs that take fifty gajillion hits to kill while someone throws a quote from an 80s film at you every few minutes.

• dontnormally says:

My rogue/paladin/wizard combo could wipe out any room of enemies in 3-4 turns. Methinks you might be “doin it rong” as they say.

5. trjp says:

I loved this just for the sheer cheekiness of the concept

I’m really not sure we need a PC version tho – it’s one of those things which works well on your phone or tablet, to be played in short bursts.

See also 100000000 and Cut the Rope and other things which keep arriving on PC anyway…

p.s. I realise I’m not the person to decide if people who don’t have smartphones or tablets can play a game but I’d also say I don’t want Darksiders II on my mobile phone if that balances-up anything? :)

6. guygodbois00 says:

Knights of the Dinner Table! Somebody could make a great RPG with meta gaming about that.
    Sorry about this slightly off topic post.

Morph says:

I didn’t find it too grindy at all, and there was plenty of tactics with your characters. It had some clever bits, including a very neat feature that you can choose how big the battles will be. So you might have to go kill 10 bats, but you can choose how many to take on at a time. More bats at once are harder to beat but give an exp bonus. Clever.

Overall I found it pretty fun, fun enough to complete it once anyway. It was mildly funny, though some of the language and jokes made me think there are a few translation problems.

8. zeekthegeek says:

I like this game in small bursts on my phone but I don’t think it holds up on PC.

9. Zarunil says:

This is a gem! Played it for hours on my tablet. I hope it will do well on PC. The humor is quite good.

corinoco says:

Looks ok, but I’ll wait for the sequel, where you play a game about playing a game about playing a game about playing a game about playing a game.