Nega-Hexagon: Chaotic

By Alec Meer on March 27th, 2013 at 6:00 pm.

also reminds me of Hundreds, but that's probably an accident

What a thing Terry Cavanagh has done. What a thing. He’s only gone and inspired a new wave of game designers to go forth and do smart things with ultra-minimalism and design purity. Super Hexagon is and will be, I suspect a more important game than anyone expects, even though it’s already highly feted in The Right Circles. While there will doubtless be more cynical clones, there’s also so much to be explored in terms of simple shapes, reflex-based strategy and immaculate mastery of tiny movements. Chaotic, a free game by one amidos2006, will be one of Super Hexagon’s many, many children, and its approach is to look at Cavanagh’s game of precision spinning through the looking glass.

Rather than trying to sucessfully navigate out of an ever-changing angular labyrinth which forever speeds towards you, here you’re trapped forever inside it, able to move within only a miniscule area as the walls irregularly stab at at you, and death-on-contact foes drift towards you in increasingly higher numbers. You’re a cornered rat, essentially, and while you automatically spray bullets all over the place, directing where they take themselves simultaneously with dodging enemies which slip through their net en masse is high pressure stuff.

Initially I was all “yeah, this is breeze” but within minutes I’m “aaah I can’t do this”.

Sure, its debt is an obvious one, but it’s an acknowledged one – and even so, it’s nothing like a clone. It takes the aesthetic and the concept of precision then does something smart and tense with it. Take a look, in your browser, for no-pennies.

Via FreeIndieGam.es, inevitably.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. DrollRemark says:

It probably owes more in the gameplay department to Geometry Wars, but the look and sound is definitely Super Hexagon inspired. Seemed fun, but it doesn’t grab me like either of those two did.

• LTK says:

True, it immediately reminded me of Geometry Wars with elements of Super Crate Box.

2. SurprisedMan says:

“Rather than trying to sucessfully navigate out of an ever-changing angular labyrinth which forever speeds towards you, here you’re trapped forever inside it, able to move within only a miniscule area as the walls irregularly stab at at you”

Eh? No you’re not. You can move around the whole screen. Those stabby things are just background. No wonder you were having so much trouble…

• Urthman says:

Ok that is hilarious. “You do realize that Mario can jump, right?”

• Alec Meer says:

Hah, bloody hell. I am far too cautious a player, clearly.

• The First Door says:

*shakes fist at Alec* To think… I believed you…

Seriously though, it really does get quite a bit easier when you realise you can use the whole screen!

• TomxJ says:

yeah but what if you could TALK to the background?

• HermitUK says:

Perhaps we could ask the dev to patch in Meer Mode.

• Bhazor says:

Meer Mode: “Games are too stressful sometimes so instead here is some smooth jazz and a daring recipe for tarte au citron”. I say it should be in every game. Especially Dark Souls.

• Randomer says:

I made the same mistake, though my intuition may have been biased by the article. Still, it’s a misleading background!

3. Skull says:

Super Hexagon has been my favorite game so far this year. That is not something I would have thought is possible from a mobile game, but it ticks all the right boxes and is very compulsive. For anyone with long commutes and owning a Apple or Android phone, try this out and see how fun travelling can become!

4. namad says:

this is on newgrounds yes? not indiegam.es ?

5. Drevyek says:

Open Hexagon- the original child- has had a flurry of support from its developer. It’s gone a very different way than had Super Hexagon, and is constantly being more and more polished and expanded.

I think that in a comparison of the two, Open Hexagon is the better. Not first, maybe, but its iterations upon the theme makes it the superior Hexagon. I would say that RPS should take another look at it as it moves into version 1.9. It got a lot of hate when it was first released, but a few months down the line, a revisit is warranted, given the current difference between the two.