Pole-Vaulting The Shark: APB Vendetta Kickstarter

By Craig Pearson on March 27th, 2013 at 7:00 pm.

I can't shout 'WHAT?' loudly enough for this to make sense
In today’s game news from another universe: Modern Warfare’s sensitive depiction of the banality of combat has prompted the Pulitzer committee to add a video games category. Half-Life 3’s midnight launch also brought with it Steam 2. And APB, the most populated and well-received action-MMO of its generation, spawning a cultural revolution and raising gaming to the highest artform, has a sister game in production: the action multiplayer shooter known as APB Vendetta.

Check your cats aren’t dogs and that black isn’t white. Is up still up? If it’s down, the fact that there’s another APB game might make sense. The game that killed a company dead has a Specialists-inspired multiplayer shooter follow-up. I’ve no idea of the value of that IP, but whenever it’s brought up, all I can think of is job losses and the very public collapse of a promising developer.

And with that out the way let’s look at the game. It’s an FPS with wall-jumps, dives, slides, slow-motion, and bird attacks, set in APB’s San Paro. You use movement combos to boost your score. APB’s customisation options are present, enabling the player to dual-weild any combination of weapons. Didn’t they just describe Brink? Here’s the Kickstarter pitch.

HOWEVER! There is also this unloved Kickstarter from the actual developers of The Specialists. It’s still a mod, so the game is free for everyone no matter what. I would be remiss to not push them, given how Reloaded cites them as an inspiration. And it’s called Double Action Boogaloo. And they have a playable alpha to download.

My cat just barked! And I don’t even have a cat!

, , , , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Zepp says:

Oh god… It’s Larry.

2. zeekthegeek says:

Here’s my concern: APB is not a very good game. I have played my fair share of it. Why should anyone care about it.

• pupsikaso says:

Aha. But CoD is a very good game, right? So is Battlefield3?

• SF Legend says:

No, they’re both shit too.

• zeekthegeek says:

Did I say that? I have bought one CoD game in my entire life and thought Battlefield 3 was hot garbage too, skipped it after the disastrous beta.

• TechnicalBen says:

But they are reported to have 100 million dollar advertising campaigns (you could sell literal turds with that), but does this?

• luukdeman111 says:

Battlefield 3 is actually pretty good in multiplayer…

• Thants says:

Some CoD games are quite good, yes. For example, CoD 4.

• TartFlavor says:

I like APB…

3. pupsikaso says:

Holey crap. I think this is the only time I’ve been excited about gaming in the past 5-10 years (excepting Occolus Rift)

• SkittleDiddler says:

Really?

No, really. Really?

• pupsikaso says:

I have a refined taste in gaming. Nothing wrong with that.
        Satisfying it is problematic, however.

• Snargelfargen says:

Matrix dives in 3d is indeed a very specific (and actually kind of awesome) taste.

• SkittleDiddler says:

I really can’t argue with a reasonable response like that.

• Spider Jerusalem says:

so you like gunz?

• zin33 says:

there are already some fps like this, warsow, quake, UT and adrenaline gamer (hl dm mod) come to mind
      personally ive played half life dm for years and the mobility (maps must have AG(anti grav)) and skill cap of that game is legendary
      you can literally 1v10 if theyre bad players (ive got a few pics with 100+ kills no deaths and no camping either :p)

just search adrenaline gamer on youtube to check if you like it but i doubt a game could have more mobility and weapon switching than that

• derbefrier says:

same here man. It looks like what Action Half Life could have been if those guys turned it into a full fledged game instead of a mod. I loved AHL and this is what I immediately thought of when watching the video. I hope it makes it the world needs more competitive FPS games where you can dive backwards off a 2 story building into a water fountain while emptying your akimbo 1911s at the guy that tried to sneak up behind you with a hand cannon.

darkChozo says:

You do realize that APB relaunched and still has a moderately alive community (well, at least last time I checked, which was admittedly was a couple of months ago), right? I mean, it’s not exactly a hot property, but it’s not quite a dead series either.

EDIT: Not to mention, while the game isn’t exactly a paragon of game design, a lot of the reasons behind why it was a failure were technical. Considering that its original developer doesn’t exist anymore, there’s not much reason to assume that’s going to be the case with a new game.

SECRET SECOND EDIT: My god, I can’t type.

• Dominic White says:

I’ve not played it since it relaunched, but APB has been fairly consistently in the top 5-6 F2P games on Steam since it went live. The gaming press seems very reluctant to even mention that it exists, but it does, and it’s doing quite well.

Craig Pearson says:

RPS WOT I Thunked it. And I did return to it and found it a big pile of poo.

wyrmsine says:

That seems a bit hyperbolic. There’s parts of it that are bloody awesome – the customization tools and music sequencer are unbelievable. The game itself isn’t bad either, though it’s hopelessly fettered behind a f2p model. It turns into a repetitive slog really quickly in the service of unlocking guns and clothes, and its design is painfully unambitious. If they’d realized their ambitions and made a persistent, player-alterable world, it’d be a model game worth paying for. Even a decent narrative and rudimentary bots would help.

You know, now that I type all that, I realize ‘pile of poo’ is not an unfair assessment. Except for the customization bits, those should be in every MP game from now on.

darkChozo says:

If you ignored the progression system and treated it as basically a slightly more structured MMO equivalent of GTA IV’s freeplay mode, it was actually quite fun to play with friends. The customization was good, there were little things to do around the world, and dicking around with cars, particularly when you can screw with someone doing something productive, is just fun. Plus they added a car skatepark at some point.

Then again, I never felt compelled to buy anything in that game, given that the only thing that would fit my playstyle is cars and customization options, and I never cared that much. So I guess it was a failure in that respect.

• ArthurBarnhouse says:

Yes, the parts that weren’t the game were really good they should take all that stuff and put it in a good game. I don’t understand why as a game it lives on in it’s strange, zombie form. Surely some company wants to put very cool customization in their game and just buy whoever the current owner is.

5. Snargelfargen says:

Didn’t APB have some serious problems with lag and performance? A modern Action Half-Life sounds fun but I’m worried about the platform. Sending good money after bad and all that.

• HadToLogin says:

I would love modern Action Half Life game. Kinda sad Action Half Life 2 isn’t it, but there’s big hope that they will finally fix what was broken when they release v3 (supposed to arrive “soon”)..

Until then, guess I’ll have to keep Action Half Life installed hoping to find few people on server to jump in.

6. Arazzi says:

Some drama: Double Action Boogaloo is not from the original creators of The Specialists but just a part of the old team.

EDIT: And its a bit annoying they claim its the spiritual successor of TS.

Kelron says:

APB is fairly successful since going F2P. I actually like the game, but my response to this video is “lol what”. Nothing wrong with the concept, but the pitch isn’t too impressive.

8. Shooop says:

Why would anyone fund a F2P pay-to-win game?

Craig Pearson says:

Because it’s not F2P. You buy it.

• Shooop says:

Oh this is a full retail game then? I missed that part because the previous and most well-known incarnation of APB is the horrid F2P one.

Carry on then.

• Hoaxfish says:

As I read it, the Kickstarter game is a spin-off buy-to-play, more like TF2 (before it went free obviously) than its namesake.

9. Zarf says:

Man, this site has the best words. The mere mention of “Steam 2″ made my nostrils explode with the iced tea that I was drinking mere moments before. Anybody got a spare kybard?

10. ninjapirate says:

Actually, it wasn’t the game that killed the company, it was the company itself. The game never really stood a chance under RTW’s direction, which is a great shame.

11. cyrenic says:

APB has the special distinction of being a game you could buy for $50 that did absolutely nothing when you installed it. Stores had it on their shelves for full price for months after they shut down the servers.

12. Phendron says:

Poor Double Action Guy, I played the crap out of The Specialists, easily my favorite half life mod next to Natural Selection.

13. Erkin says:

Fast FPS, wall jump, old school gameplay… ok, backed.
    It’s a bad idea to have named it “All point Bulletin”.

14. MegaAndy says:

APB: The game that just won’t die

15. Jody Macgregor says:

I feel bad about becoming the guy who points out completely unrelated things you could Kickstart instead, but here’s a completely unrelated thing you could Kickstart instead: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1780208966/freeport-the-city-of-adventure-for-the-pathfinder

It’s a relaunch of the tabletop RPG setting Freeport, which is basically D&D with pirates and Lovecraftian monstrosities. They’re raising money to print a 512-page full colour hardback book and they’ve only got five days left to fund it.

16. The Random One says:

Brink only you can play as a gurl is a good idea.

But I only played Brink during a free weekend and my favourite thing was to play as the burly heavy hitter with the starting fancy tie cop outfit. If I can play as a burly heavy woman in a fancy suit it’s a sale.

17. Magnusm1 says:

25$? Nope.

Malibu Stacey says:

What the actual fuck?
    To paraphrase the great man Rab once again
    Fuck you Reloaded Productions. And all who came before you.

And, depressingly, all those yet to inevitably fucking come.

19. Neo_Bahamut_19 says:

So, what you’re saying is, the people who are managing a failed game are now making a ripoff of The Specialists, while the development team behind the original The Specialiststs is working on their unofficial sequel?

Yeah, I don’t see this failing at all.

20. Zepp says:

He looks like Larry Laffer and nobody mentioned it. I’m shocked.

21. frosty216 says:

APB was one of the most interesting and amazing game designs (in my opinion); All the way up until the day it was released. Unfortunately, its core gameplay design and technical aspects caused its non-F2P death, and rightfully so. There are obviously too many crappy attributes to list, but I would dare to say that had the major problems not been there (much more open world-y and freedom-y, not had horrible combat, and didn’t run stupid instanced matchmaking-based servers), it may not have screwed the pooch so very hard. I was definitely all about making it my go-to game, until I actually played it. I even messed around with the F2P not too long ago, just wishing it had been the game it claimed it would be.

LTK says:

From the screenshot I honestly thought this WAS a sequel to Brink.

• El_Emmental says:

The “sequel” is Dirty Bomb (by Splash Damage, devs of Brink), a F2P version of Brink (watered down so even the CoD kids can try it).

You really should be careful regarding this game (Dirty Bomb), even if the initial feedbacks are rather good it’s very likely they’ll pull a ‘Brink’ again and never fix/rebalance the game after launch, let alone rework their game design.

23. maverik315 says:

How can you guys say APB is not a good game? Ive easily put over 150 hours into it ever since i was in the early beta. The only reason i could see people not liking it is if you couldnt adapt to the fighting style and didnt play it very well. In that case its you not the game