Tripwire’s Rising Storm Whips Up A Trailer

By Craig Pearson on March 27th, 2013 at 1:00 pm.

Red Orchestra 2 occupies some space on my hard-drive. I keep it there, along with Sniper Elite V2 and Build & Shoot, to satisfy a basic need I have to shoot at a tiny cluster of pixels in the distance and hope that their widows are weeping come the end of the round. I’m not a super expert at it, but it’s satisfying enough for me to keep my sights trained on the upcoming Pacific-based Rising Storm, Tripwire’s mod-gone-pro expansion thing.

So the snow has melted, the gloriously cracked cities of the Russian front are now broken pagodas surrounded by welcoming rainforests full of angry, angry people. Being miserable in a prettier place makes such a difference. I am particularly enamoured with the lovely, starry night of Guadalcanal. Here’s a trailery rundown of where the asynchronous battles will take place.

As far as I can tell it was going to be free, then Tripwire brought it in-house and it’ll be a paid-for expansion. I don’t know how much it will cost or when it will be about. If there’s anything else I don’t know, I’ll let you know.

, , , .

1. Leaufai says:

How’s RO2 doing? On release it was kind of buggy I remember, has it been patched up well?

• Njordsk says:

It’s in a good shape yes, played a few hours some weeks back and the exeperience was really enjoyable. I LOVE (and I mean it) the shooting in RO2 and it’s always a pleasure to go back for a few kills.

That said the game doesn’t have BF population and you won’t find a hundred servers, but people willing to play will always find a match with no bots.

I personnally won’t buy the addon, not playing enough to invest in that. Though I reckon they’re the last to give that kind of experience and they deserve wagons of money.

• El_Emmental says:

Keep in the mind that:

- a “lite” version (not featuring all classes) will be available to ALL players who already own RO2, so you’ll be able to try the game and see how it feels. It was officially confirmed, we only need to hear the details about that “lite” version.

- there will be a discount for people already owning RO2. It was officially confirmed, but we still don’t know how big that discount will be.

- people buying Rising Storm will also get RO2.

• El_Emmental says:

RO2 is now:
      - more stable (crashes are now pretty rare)
      - more optimized (you can expect a reasonable framerate)
      - features *less* bugs (it is playable, but not completely patched out)
      - tanks (T34 and Panzer IV) are still suffering from the same bugs and issues

The RO2 population is big enough to fill 5 or 6 servers (1 being the Classic server) during peak time, and falls to 2-3 servers the rest of the time: you can find a place to play it most of the time.

ps: the game is still suffering from its flawed game design and level design, so the gameplay is still what it was when it was released.

• HybridHalo says:

In really good shape, since beta there have been a few really hefty updates and the game is, from my experience now running much more fluidly than before. The game’s got a great feel and I’m really, really glad that the intense infantry firefights are no longer broken up by the occasional, extremely boring tank fest.

• derbefrier says:

kind of buggy is a bit of an understatement. I haven’t played it since a month or two after its release but it was pretty bad at that point. I have heard its a lot better now though but I haven’t been able to get myself to re install it. MY biggest gripe was the hit detection. When your guns are pinpoint accurate even a little bit of lag is enough to make a shot to the heart miss by a mile. It was damn frustrating and ruined what would have probably been one of the best competitive FPS games I have played in a long time but it was held back by to many technical problems in my opinion.

• SkittleDiddler says:

Long range hit detection has improved substantially, but close quarters is still kinda borked. You should try it again, you might be surprised at how well it performs now.

• El_Emmental says:

Close-quarter is as good as the long range one (client-side hit detection), it’s just that the network latency and movements play a much bigger role at close-range.

• SkittleDiddler says:

That doesn’t change the fact that CQ hit detection is still highly inconsistent.

• El_Emmental says:

Tripwire dropped the server-side hit detection and agreed to switch to client-side hit detection for months now.

(after Mekhazzio made the client-side hit detection mutator, that rapidly became popular and showed it was a much better choice).

Now you only need to compensate for the bullet travel time, and accept that your latency + your enemy’s latency = you can get killed when you saw yourself shooting and hitting an enemy on your screen.

SPUF thread explaining this: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2812450

• SkittleDiddler says:

Tripwire held back on their promise of co-op, more vehicles, and more official maps in order to get this expansion out the door. They’ve also continued to ignore some of the more persistent game glitches, but overall RO2 has improved massively since release — it’s a much more solid experience.

It still crashes at startup for a lot of people, and there are some weird issues with Steam Workshop integration, but the game in its current form is one of my favorite multiplayer experiences.

• El_Emmental says:

Tripwire didn’t “held” back, Rising Storm is developed by another team of modders – they only sent some of their devs during the last few months to polish (hu hu) the product.

From what I heard from Yoshiro and another dev on the “Everyone loves a good debate…” thread (TWI forums), developers are less and less motivated to work on RO2 as the main feedback they’re getting is negative, and much prefer to work on Killing Floor (or one of their secret inhouse projects) – this is why RO2 haven’t changed since the GOTY update. But from what I heard (again, global feeling) they haven’t fully abandoned it either.

The problem with RO2 is how “fixing” RO2 is extremely difficult, as most RO1 fans moved on and quit the RO franchise, while most of the new audience moved to other games.

Developing bug fixes and new content for RO2 is then very risky: they either need to satisfy the need of the new audience (who isn’t clearly defined/identified), or win back the RO1 fans – doing both would be a real miracle.

Also, commercially-speaking RO2 did well, mostly because people, all excited about some new FPS experience because of the drummed up BF3 release, rushed and bought the game, expecting a “hardcore WW2 shooter” (according to CoD/BFBC standards), only to realize it wasn’t a game for them at all (even if the bugs were fixed).

These people won’t play RO2 again, nor make some of their friends/other members of their online community buy RO2: they got fooled once, and can only get fooled again if it’s a new release (RO3) promising a vastly improved experience.

• Machinations says:

I was one of those people who felt burned by Tripwire on RO2. If I recall correctly, Killing Floor was developed by someone else, which may account for it’s relative quiality.

RO2 ditched the things that made RO 1 great, added in CoD elements of gun unlock, and a boatload of glitches and terrible performance. It is the most bug ridden major release I have played in a decade.

Beyond that, there were inane design decisions – like whomever thought it would be a good idea to put AI gunners in your tank – in multiplayer mode – that have pinpoint accuracy, far better than any human. You could park your tank – driven solo – in front of a spawn area, and just dominate the match (as I recall, very easy to have more than the rest of the server combined) That’s just poor design; and a lot of other issues like this – maps which had tanks but little to no room to use them, for example.

The whole thing left a terrible taste in my mouth and I cannot believe they have the hubris to release an expansion while leaving RO2 broken. As you can guess, I won’t be buying.

• Redkid says:

How did RO2 burn you? What things did they ditch that made RO1 great? I keep hearing that RO2 is oh so CoD-like compared to RO1, but no one ever gives examples. I just don’t get it. And don’t say the gun unlocks, they are barely there to begin with. The only ones that really make a difference anyway are the different magazines for SMGs and MGs, and the silencer for the revolver.

I agree with the AI tank gunners thing, but other than that, please explain yourself with examples.

wengart says:

Red Orchestra 2 has been fixed for nearly a year now.

Also no one has the silencer for the revolver.

• Unruly says:

I had fun with RO2 when it first released, despite its terrible performance and it being one of the most bug-ridden releases I’ve ever played. But that’s the thing, the bugs and terrible performance ended up driving me away from the game. It was especially bad when they blamed performance issues on people’s hardware, when people with top of the line systems were getting 6fps on the lowest settings. Then their “fixes” were to remove rendered objects and replace them with flat textures. Yes, that helps a little bit, but it only really helps if the problem is people turning their settings up too high. It doesn’t help when you’ve written such shitty code that you get less than 10fps when you’re standing in an empty 20×20 room with no windows and there’s absolutely nothing going on around you.

I came back after the “beta” patch had been fully rolled out, and it was still fun, but by then the community was practically dead and there were still problems with the game. Like the increasingly stupid and ever-present headglitching. Or the fact that smoke grenades don’t use particle effects, they use easily exploitable 2.5d sprites. And there are still performance issues. Then Tripwire decides that they’re going to ignore their own promises of more vehicles being added and new maps because they’re upset that people complained about them releasing a broken game and only making a single real attempt to fix it. So they decided to basically take their ball and go home because players didn’t heap praise on them.

And now they’re releasing Rising Storm. I don’t care if they only had one staff member help a crew of independent modders polish up the thing, they should have been using him for fixing and improving RO2. Because unless they’ve fixed RO2, Rising Storm is going to be built on top of all the problems still affecting the base. Which is a shame, because I really liked RO1 and the mods that came out of it. And I was really looking forward to the In Country mod for RO2 as well. But with the way that RO2 itself is just rotting away, I don’t have much hope anymore.

• El_Emmental says:

“I keep hearing that RO2 is oh so CoD-like compared to RO1, but no one ever gives examples”

The problem is, you don’t read long comments or the threads on Tripwire Interactive forums.

Plenty of people already analyzed, debated about almost every single gameplay mechanism and dynamism: the movements, the shooting, the level design, the HUD design, the aiming and so on.

The biggest CoD-like element in RO2 is its pacing (according to me and many other RO2 players on TWI forums), and that’s why it was the first thing to be changed in the Classic mode.

How’s the pacing different from RO1 ?
            - maps are much smaller.
            - maps are mostly made like corridors (by not featuring viable side paths)
            - the level design is made of sniping-alleys/areas (between buildings) and very short-range areas (inside buildings) => no medium-range combat (with tons of obstacles/trees/bushes – not there because of poor level design and severe performance issues).
            - the level design creates very specific and dedicated “alternative path”, instead of several smaller flanking ones.
            - spawn areas are much closer to the front (along with the “Spawn on SL” design choice)
            - the sprint running speed
            - the amount of stamina and its recovery rate
            - the sprint-to-shooting extremely short delay
            - the registered shooting order when sprinting (keeping your left-click on allow you to only release the sprint key to shoot immediately when the extremely short delay is over)
            - sprinting resets your aiming point to the exact center of the screen, allowing you to sprint-shoot-sprint (aka “run’n'gun”) with much better efficiency than progressively attacking without sprinting.

And that’s the most obvious elements regarding the fast pacing.

Should we talk about the historically inaccurate and technically impossible weapons/attachments only there for the “woaw” effect (and that’s not just the MKb – MP40/II, double drum magazine for the mg34, lack of any drum magazines for the PPSh before level 25 which is approximately 1500 kills…) , the weapon unlock system based on kills (and not time played/bullets shots/teamwork points earned/an ingame shooting range advanced challenges), the class stats boost making veteran players stronger than newcomers, the PR focusing on a fantasy “elite” soldier with a scoped MKb with bayonet next to a ‘Vasily Zaytsev’ to lure the CoD/BF3 players (and it worked, initially).

• SkittleDiddler says:

I can’t think of any other reason as to why the game hasn’t seen any new dev content or substantial bug patches for several months now. Maybe Tripwire are satisfied with RO2′s current performance, but there are still undeniable issues that haven’t been dealt with yet. The fact of the matter is that Tripwire donated time and labor to help finish up Rising Storm, and in doing so have — intentionally or otherwise — moved some of their attention away from the main game.

Anyway, I’m not sure what bug fixes have to do with satisfying or driving off opposing factions within the player base. Are you implying that fixing something like the still-wonky CQ hit detection will somehow turn more players away? That doesn’t make sense.

Tripwire have certainly “held back” on promised content, and they are running out of official excuses. If they can find the budget to award $35K in real money to community modders, then they can invest some dosh to quell the remaining bugs.

• El_Emmental says:

Bug fixes aren’t going to drive off some people – they’re just not gonna bring any people in.

So commercially speaking, unless they’re trying to win back the RO1 audience (and their reputation), working on even more bug fixes (intensively, and not just the average small fixes every 2-3 months) won’t bring more money and isn’t “worth” it.

In my opinion they really have to rebuild their reputation and the value of the RO IP, but I’m not sure they clearly understand that.

• GenBanks says:

Things seemed good when I jumped in a couple weeks ago.

There was a guy shouting orders in character (‘I need artillery coordinates comrades!’ etc) on his mic and others responding, also in character. Made things quite atmospheric actually haha.

• Bweahns says:

This game has a couple of populated servers worldwide and the ancient netcode means playing on such servers feels like you’re playing Quake on your 28.8k modem again.
      Game plays great now but there is no one playing it.

• SkittleDiddler says:

I’m not sure why your experience differs so drastically from mine — location/ping maybe?

There are now plenty of populated servers (this coming from someone who used to complain bitterly about the lack of them in his region), and even the high-ping servers offer a relatively stable connection for me. The net code in RO2 has been more or less fleshed out since its buggy post-release days.

2. tigershuffle says:

RO2 is fine……….just lacks the tanks and big maps of the original – which is why I bought RO2 :-/

this theatre is far more suited to the current game style

Ill buy it only Tripwire promise to give me big shiny tank maps like Orel and Prokhorovka from RO*

*if its free ill definitely buy it :D
    ** okay Ill just get it anyway

and finally shameless begging- anyone with Arma3 Lite key ….drop me a Steam invite pretty please

• El_Emmental says:

You can request an Arma 3 Lite key here: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?10016-Arma-3-alpha-lite-invites-get-them-here!

(nb: you need to create a “RPS forum” account – “RPS Comments” accounts are separated from the forum)

I still have my Lite key btw, I’ll look for requests in that thread, feel free to ask.

• Rian Snuff says:

Some of the community maps are gainamic and theres also some really nice tank ones shipping up.

Check out the RO2 steamworks page.

• Curry the Great says:

The problem is that tanks in RO2 (the only two tanks there are) still suck ass compared to Red Orchestra 1. They’re buggy, get stuck on things, and have a ridiculous damage model which is complicated but ends up extremely unsatisfying and unrealistic. Tripwire still deny that tanks suck in their game, which is evidenced by the fact that there are still tank servers populated in RO1, but not a single one in RO2. I really hate how they have their heads stuck up their ass about this issue.

Oh well, I hope the infantry combat in Rising Storm is good. It looks very cool, although the flamethrower could be a bit more spewing sticky fuel instead of ignited gas.

• Redkid says:

The only issue I have found with the tanks is the way it tells you that you’ve been hit.

It doesn’t. There’s no effect, no shaking or anything. The only damn thing to tell you that you’re hit, other than the damage indicator, is a very unreliable sound that only plays on some hits.

3. Shaun239 says:

Any news on a Killing Floor 2?

4. mrmalodor says:

I hope the maps aren’t built for snipers. I stopped playing RO2, because 90% of the time you die from a sniper (often even a normal rifleman or a guy with an Stg44) whom you can’t spot. Many people abuse debris and clipping bugs to hide and snipe from places few people would look.

There’s also a MASSIVE UNFIXED BUG that always happens where the bullets never actually come out of your gun – they come out of the top of your head. Skilled snipers abuse the fuck out of this bug. They lean just enough so that they can just barely see their enemy. Then the enemy can only see the top of their head and not the gun that’s being pointed at them. People get killed before they can react, because nobody expects someone’s forehead to fire bullets. As far as I know (please give me a link if I’m wrong), TWI has consistently ignored all requests to address the issue.

The game has pretty much devolved into Sniper Elite: Stalingrad. The constant artillery barrages that magically kill you through a roof that never collapses only add to the frustration. The only map I find tolerable is Apartments, since it’s very close quarters, but because there are no active servers that only run that map, I’ve been forced to quit the game.

As much as I like the game in principle, the design is still deeply flawed.
    I think the only way to defuse the situation is by adding Battlefield-style 3D spotting “doritos”. I used to hate those things, but now that I’ve played RO2 for 100 hours, I understand why they’re useful – they make life harder for obsessive camper-snipers by forcing them to move or be spotted.

• idiotapocs says:

Dying is fun in RO2.

• mrmalodor says:

Dying is fun when you’re in an intense, fun firefight and eventually the enemy gets the upper hand. Not so much when you just suddenly die as if by the hand of gawd while leaving your spawn area.

• ThePresent says:

That is called “headglitching” and is apparently even a problem in BF3. I had to look it up recently because I got kicked from a server for headglitching when I was playing (from my understanding) normally as always. (You have cover and when you use it, you get kicked/banned. Great. How the balls am I supposed to know that acting as intended makes the game do something bad not evident to me?) BF3 has launched a pretty long while ago and apparently it still works like that, so I’m not confident this will get fixed.

• mrmalodor says:

BF3 doesn’t have leaning and bullets do come out of the gun if I recall correctly, so I don’t think it’s such a big issue there.

Edit: had a look at some videos on Youtube. It seems there are quite a few places in BF3 where you can headglitch, BUT since there is no leaning, you can only do this in specific locations. RO2 basically has a universal headglitch thanks to lean.

wengart says:

The only game that actually renders your weapon properly is the Arma series. Other shooters have the bullet come from the camera (usually the head) rather than the gun.

You need to play Red Orchestra 2 differently than RO1 and most other shooters. They made sway more realistic which means that you are able to fire accurately in nearly any position on targets 100 meters distant. This changes how you should play. The keys to surviving in RO2 are:

situational awareness (know where the enemy is firing from, pay attention to where you were previously killed and where enemies are often seen. Put LOS blocking objects between you and them.)

When in a static position keyhole yourself and clear visual sectors. You should be able to view only a small portion of the enemy position at one time. For example, if an apartment building has 30 windows you should visually clear them 5-10 at a time. Once you visually clear them you can then watch the whole area for movement. If you instead try to visually clear all 30 windows at once chances are you will miss someone who has already setup a firing position and he will kill you.

Stay low. An enemy team is 32 players strong. This means that there are 32 guns waiting to kil you. If you stand high then more of these guns can see you and therefore kill you. Run from cover to cover, use low ground, zig zag when in the open.

I can assure you that you are not being killed by these head glitchers. RO2 can be a fast game with little camping but to do that you need to play in a way that minimizes your exposure to shooters in the open. More than any other game on the market (except maybe the Arma series) RO2 demands that you find unused and inventive paths to flank and kill your opponents.