Rock, Paper, Shotgun Apology For Using Female Writers

By John Walker on March 27th, 2013 at 9:00 pm.

We made a mistake. It’s important as a website that readers can trust that we are up front when this happens, and willing to admit to our failings, and promise to address them. And as recently as last week, Rock, Paper, Shotgun let a woman write an article. We would like to apologise to our readers for any offence caused.

Perhaps what makes what’s becoming known as #PeaSoupGate so serious an error on our part was the apparent subterfuge used in the run up to this article. The author and – we now confess – woman, Cara Ellison, had been writing articles for us for a few months in advance of this particular piece. And with no appropriate warning, the article finished with an image revealing that Cara was in fact female. Clearly many readers were upset, and we now hope to redress the balance over this unfortunate incident.

The piece, an interview with someone else we have since discovered to also be a woman, Rhianna Pratchett, finished with a picture of Ellison in the foreground, with a pot of pea soup in the background. What is so particularly problematic with this picture is that rather than containing the face of a man, as readers trust to expect, it seems we published what is identifiably a picture of a woman.

Naturally commenters expressed their shock and rage. Most were in fact so upset by the situation that they forgot to even mention that their horror was born of Ellison’s apparent lack of a Y chromosome, and instead in their confusion simply argued against the use of an image of the writer at all. With RPS’s male writers having frequently posted their own faces on the site over the years – and of course to no complaint – it just shows quite how wrong it was of us to allow this situation to occur, so upsetting and confusing as it was that people would become so muddled.

Some have observed that it is deeply peculiar that none of RPS’s male writers have ever been so vitriolically criticised for featuring picture of themselves, if it’s even happened at all. Others have claimed that rarely do readers feel the need to comment on whether they find the male writers of RPS attractive or not when images of them appear. Also that complaining about Cara’s writing about herself seems peculiar on a site that is proudly self-indulgent before it’s informative. Lines like “it’s almost like women in games journalism have something to prove” applied to a style of writing used by all of RPS’s male writers since we launched nearly six years ago, they say, appear incongruous. But this is a very insensitive argument that does not take into account the severity of the trauma our interview has caused.

RPS would also like to apologise for featuring other female writers, both born and identifying as female, on a regular basis. Clearly by being women they are imposing their agenda on an undeserving audience, in a way that is inexcusable.

From this point going forward, we will ensure that if a woman is somehow writing on the site, that during the process they will be required to wear a top hat, false moustache, and steely, manly glare as they type, in order to eradicate the unpleasantness so many have had to experience. No longer will they be allowed to “play the gender card” by openly having their gender be so not-male.

, , .

1. PopeRatzo says:

for any offence caused

The site is as great as ever and the women’s voices are most welcome.

But please make sure the gals use spellcheck. You know how they are.

2. Wang Tang says:

“From this point going forward, we will ensure that if a woman is somehow writing on the site, that during the process they will be required to wear a top hat, false moustache [...]”

I was under the impression all human RPS writers adhered to that guideline.
    Since you implied this is not the case, make it so!

3. Fallward says:

My respect for RPS has just gone down a notch. That makes two notches since 2010. Please, stick to doing gaming news; leave the politics and the pretentious gender discrimination claims out.

One more bullshit article like this and i’ll have to replace RPS with the dreadful Kotaku. Yes, i’m serious.

P.S I like Cara’s writing style, I think she’s great. There was no problem with having her picture there, it was relevant to the article and it’s always nice to put a face to the name. Additionally, there were hardly ANY negative comments relating to her or the picture – thus making this article even more pathetic. Go back and read articles from pre 2011 and stick to that. Thank you.

• wodin says:

A rather lovely face aswell….I can say that can’t I?

• Scelous says:

Fallward, it’s even worse at Kotaku. I left Kotaku to come here.

If these kinds of pretentious gender discrimination articles bother you, my god, man, avoid Kotaku. It was becoming less of a gaming journalist website and more like a cutting-edge lesbian magazine.

If you do look for a replacement, consider The Escapist. Also, my current go-to site is Polygon, as I feel they have a very high level of professionalism. I’ve been very impressed with them so far.

• Mario Figueiredo says:

One of the things I like in RPS is the ease of reading. Do to its blog infrastructure, RPS articles are presented in a shopping list style and everything is treated as equal (reviews, opinions, news, etc). It’s just an easy accessible website.

Polygon confuses me. It’s presentation gives me an headache. There’s the news section, storystream section (what on earth’s name is that!), report section (report is news, review?), gallery section, review section, then there’s video section, then there’s featured articles, and let’s not forget those articles that live in a no section place.

I did really enjoy the writing on those links I clicked that sent me directly to an article. A prefer it a a whole lot more than RPS constant, annoyingly abused, recourse to wit, puns and inside jokes that not only get old and distracting, but also require a translator for anyone whose English isn’t a primary language. But Polygon is intimidating.

Some questions: When scrolling down the website, am I guranteed to always be looking at the articles with the new ones at the top and the old ones at the bottom? Will I recognize bottom portion of the front page when returning to the website? Are all articles on the front page, or I need to go to the specific sections to see if I miss any?

• Scelous says:

Haha, I understand, man. I understand.

Polygon STILL confuses me, even though I’ve been using it for a little bit now. It helps that I get it through an RSS feed, so I just see a list of new things. But yeah, that’s the reason why I preferred Kotaku, and the reason why I do visit RPS; I prefer the blog-style news list format as well.

Polygon’s articles, though. Man, it’s like night and day compared to the rest of the gaming sites. I feel like I’m reading a professional news publication. Plus, both the writers and commentators I’ve seen on there have been very classy. Really cool people.

• Fallward says:

Thanks for the replies, have never heard of Polygon but after spending 30 minutes there i’m going to try them out from now! Cheers!

• Supahewok says:

Escapist hit its high point a couple of years ago, when it had a bunch of well-written, thought provoking weekly columns, along with a monthly collection of interesting guest columns. Add to that the real entertainment value of some funny webcomics and web series’s, and it was a great place to go. All that has mostly fallen by the wayside. The Escapist never was very heavy on “original” gaming news, (i.e. interviews, exclusives, reviews, interesting chats ala what happens here at RPS, indie news) and relied on those other things to keep fresh. Without them, it’s just endless linking and paraphrasing of the articles of other sites, along with inaccuracies and link-bait headlines. The last things it has that are of any redemption are the occasional links to neat science phenomena, sometimes Zero Punctuation, and the few (two?) columns they still have. (I don’t count Yahtzee or Moviebob’s columns, since they often tie into their webshows.) The only thing I go over there for anymore is for links to the occasional Japanese gaming news, since RPS hardly ever covers that.

• Scelous says:

Fair enough.

• Supahewok says:

Hmm, seeing what you wrote about Polygon has convinced to give it a try. So thanks for that.

And for not getting mad at my negative waves.

4. Snargelfargen says:

I didn’t notice much vitriol directed against Cara although there were definitely some hella awkward “hey you are a female, now I must flirt badly on the internet” comments. Guess I must have missed the worst of it.

Anyways, her Crysis article was fucking brilliant. Ellison is a great addition and RPS as a whole is still the best PC site.

The comments have even gotten better recently, although the personal attacks on the authors is pretty weird. The whole “oh they are just doing X for attention” line of reasoning is magnificent in its stupidity.

5. FurryLippedSquid says:

Fuck off, John.

Dunbine says:

This seems somehow appropriate. I picture myself in the Steve Carell role –

Brian Fantana: Don’t get me wrong, I love the ladies. I mean they rev my engines, but they don’t belong in the newsroom.
    Champ Kind: It is anchor*man*, not anchor*lady*. And that is a scientific fact.
    Brick Tamland: I don’t know what we’re yelling about.
    Brian Fantana: You’re with us, Ron, what do you think?
    Ron Burgundy: [shouting] She… Sh… It’s terrible. She has beautiful eyes, and her hair smells like cinnamon.
    Brick Tamland: [shouts] Loud noises.

7. wodin says:

I’m confused. What is this all about?

Seems to have come out of nowhere. I never even noticed her being slagged off for being a woman.

• Shooop says:

You don’t see them now because they’ve been deleted, but there were some downright vile posts directed at Cara simply because of her gender.

• Bhazor says:

There really weren’t.

I was following that thread, the only sexual reference was “shes fit” which was immediately belittled and that was one comment in about 200 before I stopped checked.

8. edwardoka says:

I have nothing to add to this discussion except:

SADFACE.

9. FewAgainstmany says:

is just don’t read comments valid?

10. Don Reba says:

Such flame bait. Well done, John Walker.

11. harbinger says:

Someone help fill in the rest:

Also, for the sake of equality, John Walker is getting really fat and needs shave more.

• Supahewok says:

Awww, John, you got a kitty cat that looks a lot like mine!

…Is your’s a spoiled rotten asshole of a cat too? ‘Cuz mine sure as hell is.

12. Kayden says:

Really this is a thing? I don’t care if it’s a woman, man, alien, a cat or any one else who writes here. I enjoy this site, has a little of it’s charm? Sure, but it isn’t a problem of gender or anything else like that you close minded freaks! GROW UP!

EDIT: As some one of the male persuasion and a fellow journalist. I am sorry to hear that any writer, male or female, have to go through this kind of scrutiny for unjustified and irrational fear of others. I hope that you persevere and continue to do what you do, there are those who appreciate journalism from all view points, no matter the gender, religion or race.

13. Phantom_Renegade says:

Articles like these and Cara’s, though mostly Cara’s, are why I keep coming back to this site. Far too little humour in games blogging. And despite what some people think, sarcasm is one of the higher forms or humour.

caff says:

I want to read about games. I know it must be hard to avoid the idiotic comments (of a small handful of people), but hasn’t this been what the internet is all about since day one?

15. Bhazor says:

…. Jesus Christ, John.

The reason people were complaining is that the interview was rubbish. Cara spent as much time talking about herself as her interviewee.

That’s not going into the asinine tea question which comprised more text than any other answer.

16. Bob says:

You let female writers loose here? That’s it, I’m burning my Patricia Cornwell and Kathy Reichs novels in protest.

17. Eldiran says:

I’m just gonna go ahead and skip the 10 pages of comments to say this: RPS writers, never change. This is the best gaming site because you all got guts, sass, and panache. Also class. Especially class.

That said I approve and endorse a top hat and false ‘stache mandate for all writers, ever.

18. Connor Magee says:

I’d give that pea soup a 7/10 at best.

19. HothMonster says:

Did you take this right from the G.R.O.S.S. newsletter?

20. Angron41 says:

I really like RPS and think it’s a great site, but I just don’t get this article. Mr. Walker talks about the inappropriate statements made about/to Ms. Ellison, but doesn’t really provide any evidence. I’m not saying he’s wrong- but for a group of writers that constantly are upset about companies or other games journalism sites not backing their claims, he needs to at least present some numbers. I should have to read through this article’s comment thread (after having read the Tomb Raider Interview thread) to determine what exactly got him so upset. How many comments were inappropriate? How many did they have to delete? If you want to tell us that as a community we have behaved poorly in a full article, back it up.
    Also, I have absolutely no idea what Mr. Walker is trying to do with this article. It’s utterly pointless, the snark destroying any potential for a positive discussion. I am not sure what action he wants us, as the RPS community, to take. Is he stating that individuals will be banned in the future for such comments as were written? Or is it a call to arms asking the RPS community to somehow police itself? This is entirely their (RPS’s) website, and they have every right to direct their community as they see fit. But at the same time, if he is expecting something to change, he needs to make it clear.
    I’ve really enjoyed reading RPS for the past two years, and I will certainly continue to do so. I think the RPS staff work hard and produce a lot of quality content, but this is far below what I come to expect from this site.

21. cyan says:

[Edit: Double post dagnammit.]

22. Solanaceae says:

Seems like you’re just making it worse by giving attention to this. Why not just delete the offensive comments and move on?

23. iridescence says:

“Same here too. I confess I’ve only skim-read the comments section of that Tomb Raider interview, but I didn’t spot enough to warrant this hostile article.”

I may be wrong but I think this is the whole point of the article. Look at that first comment in the other thread. We see an article written by a woman on a gaming site including a picture and we expect to see a bunch of barely coherent misogynist filth in the comments. It’s got to the point where we’re actually surprised when it’s relatively restrained.

Maybe, we have to stop accepting that “that’s just the way the internet is” and make a fuss about this shit unless we want the trolls to totally drown out all rational discussion online.

24. Mario Figueiredo says:

I seem to remember one of the comments being about whether Cara was hot or not? Is that it? I wonder though if Cara thinks any of the RPS writers are hot? Surely she must not. According to John, that’s sexism.

I never really much appreciated Cara’s writing style. But that’s because I must be a male chauvinist. I do find Cara cute, but that’s because I must be a male chauvinist. But I do find her too young for my taste (she seems to be of an age she could be my daughter), but that’s because I hate young people and am a male chauvinist.

On one thing I think John’s right though. Commenting (negatively) on her posting her picture is a no-no. Especially if its done in the context of her quality as a woman. Does it warrant John’s verbal diarrhea? I think not. But that’s because i must be a male chauvinist.

• trinka00 says:

no. it’s not sexism for anyone to think anyone else is hot.
      that’s weird. i wonder where you get that from?

edit/* – oh wait, i get it now. no, male chauvinist is not the best word for it.

substitute the word ‘slave’ tho, and you’re pretty right on.
      you are a slave, it’s true.

• Mario Figueiredo says:

Fair point indeed.

But what you probably don’t know — and I should have mentioned — is that those type of comments where someone addressed her as being hot actually had the type of replies I mentioned. I think it was only one commentator among everyone else. But the replies he (or she) got where in the vein of: Oh, you see a woman and you can’t just stop yourself from looking at her physical qualities, you chauvinist.

I didn’t see any other issues on the comments besides that and some commentators annoyed at the poor quality of the interview. Since the latter is a genuine criticism, the former was what caught my eye regarding this article.

25. wearedevo says:

Thanks for posting this. Not much else to say, but keep sticking it to the assholes.

26. maddog79 says:

this piece is a total overreaction to relatively mild comments. It is slightly amusing and complete and utter hyperbole. “Naturally commenters expressed their shock and rage”. There were a few japes about pictures of women on a gaming site leading to mass titillation, which is perhaps a bit suspect on a few levels, but hardly “rage” or “shock”.
    There has been a good and lively discussion the past few years about misogyny and this piece seems to be trolling for pats on the back from the righteous folk that have been making the good argument for more inclusiveness in gaming and less macho B.S. and ridicule of girl gamers.
    I have been a longtime reader and always resisted the temptation to weigh in on the comments section but am somewhat disappointed by this post. I have always found RPS posts (regardless of gender or hot pics of soup) to be quite smart and witty and informative and this one sadly isn’t that. This is not a grandiose piece of satire or an ultra witty example of the ole sarcasm, which I was kinda used to finding here.

27. Deviija says:

I love you, RPS. Today, more than ever, I have come to embrace my feelings for you. I come here BECAUSE of the articles on games, from indie to triple A, and the articles and commentary on social issues that relate to gaming and the industry. The politics and the problems. These things relate to games and the gaming community and reflect back and forth upon one another. Essential topics to explore in the current gaming landscape as it is today and the future of games as well. So, thank you, RPS, for being *one* of the few places that tries to be awesome. I don’t want less of such articles/commentaries, I’d love to have even more.

And, of course, more Cara.

28. vecordae says:

Ms/Mrs/Mr/whatevs Ellison’s gender should have been a complete non-issue. I don’t think the editors at RPS made it one. I think enough of their readership produced a sufficiently ugly and juvenile response that they felt they had to address it.

For what little it is worth, I do appreciate the politics as much as the game reviews. I’m an adult with a desire to use what agency I possess towards building a world I’m proud to live in. Hearing about issues effecting the gaming industry, especially those with wide-ranging consequences for all producers of digital media, is invaluable to me, even if I do not agree with what the author of the RPS article here might have to say.

icarussc says:

FOR GOODNESS’ SAKE, YES! If only there were more people like you, sir.

29. FiRE MUNki says:

I’m glad they addressed this and supported Cara in RPS fashion >.<, I find Cara's articles way cool and I look forward to seeing more of them!

30. GSGregory says:

Seeing some of the crap, moronic, alpha male replies here. Gamers, especially online gamers in my experience of being a male and meeting and knowing a few serious female gamers are extremely sexist, and rude towards the female gamers for no other reason besides that they are female. The latest one was constant sexual comments over voip and chat in cs go competitive.

31. Det says:

Well now you’ve just ruined your credibility.
    Now how am I supposed to know it’s not a WOMAN impersonating john walker who wrote this article?
    HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO KNOW IF THIS WAS REALLY THE FIRST TIME THAT A WOMAN WROTE AN RPS ARTICLE?
    WHAT IF THE ENTIRE RPS STAFF IS JUST A BUNCH OF WOMEN WITH MALE PENNAMES OH GOD MY WORLD IS FALLING APART AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH

32. tuttelihevonvittu says:

What a sanctimonious twat-basket. Not every comment on an article written by a lady-girl was completely positive so it must mean that every single one of the writers of said comments are misogynistic meanieweanies. Thank god John is here to ride to the rescue on his highest of horses.

icarussc says:

Wow. Er, can I just say, unironically, that I like RPS 10x better than any other games site on the internet, and that I like all of the writers, and that you guys and gals shouldn’t let all this crap get you down? I can? OK, I’ll say that.

34. trinka00 says:

There’s a lot to say about this article and the comments back, it’s a pretty accurate picture of the state of ‘feminisim’ these days. And not just on the internet. You could really write a book on this kind of stuff if you wanted to.

But I think most important and to the point…

People always try to define some environment or topic as being a ‘gender related safe zone’. And they will say things like, “Well why you gotta bring in all this politics into video games? We don’t need to hear about your feminist rants and PC crap, this is a video game site, stick to video games, what does gender have to do with any of this?”

So video games are a ‘gender related safe zone’. Or the corner bar is, or the workplace is, or someone else’s home is, or almost any place is, it turns out. except a rally for ‘feminism’. that’s the place, apparently, to speak up about these kind of things.

But the whole reason articles like this are written, or the whole reason that anyone says anything, anywhere, is that they recognized that there’s no safety in this zone in the first place. for either men or women. So to say nothing is only to keep it a ‘gender related unsafe zone’. and who wants that? seriously, everyone’s either a man or a woman or some other category, but there’s no such option as ‘no gender’. No human has ever been genderless.

So to say nothing is not an option. The only real politics is how you live your life, your actions. And what you say to others is an action. So articles like this aren’t just pretentious, cerebral, preachy scoldings. For anyone to express what they feel about an issue like this is an action and can’t be dismissed as ‘passive aggression’ or ‘crusading’ or pretending to be some ‘white knight’. This stuff is actually real. There is a war, and there are casualties every day.

And in this war, there is very much an enemy and our enemies are trying to steal our love. Our enemies can be of any gender, it doesn’t matter, women are as much of an enemy in this war as men are.

And if you disagree, you have every right to say it, as much as you want, in every way that you want…
    but you will always be wrong. Like I said, this is real, and even tho the topic of this article is pretty small stakes, this is exactly the same dynamics that are killing my sisterz, brothers and motherz, and the souls of the fathers. every day, for real. There’s no room for niceties and pretending to see the other side with this. Period. And you are wrong.
    And you are going down, little boys and girls,
    we will smash your ‘safe zones’…
    And you are never gonna steal our love.

35. Bweahns says:

Girls are weak, chuck ‘em in the creek!

Boys are strong, like King Kong!

36. Kamos says:

So, has this article accomplished anything except starting yet another flame war?

I miss old RPS, specifically how you could write a comment here without fear that the very first reply would be someone going berserk and/or accusing you of being misogynist.

Question: do male writers write “I’m a man!” every other article?

The funny thing is that I actually liked the Pratchett interview precisely because it was written by a woman interviewing a woman in a sexist industry. See the difference? A woman’s insight -> cool! Gonzo BDSM and nonsensical stuff -> not really my thing. Sorry RPS, I like you. It’s not you, it is me. I’m just not that avant garde.

And I’m honestly sorry about the nasty/sexist comments that indeed arise from time to time. But seriously, what the hell is this response of yours?

There is about 80% chance that there will be a reply telling me what a horrible person I am, or that I should reflect long about what a misogynist bastard I am. That is the kind of place RPS now is.

• David Bliff says:

Yes believe it or not there is a particularly male voice to men’s writing that doesn’t necessarily stand out to men because it’s the norm. So men write “hey I’m a man” in the same way that women write “hey I’m a woman”. Whether you perceive it is another issue entirely.

• Kamos says:

Yes. I’m so white, straight and male that I cannot even perceive it in the writing. It is simply not possible that I might not enjoy the way Cara writes, it MUST be my fucking disgusting male brain.

Edit:
        “Whether you perceive it is another issue entirely.”

By the way, thank you for proving my point.

37. futage says:

Since this has turned into a ‘what I think of RPS’ thing…

I think the intent of this article is spot on, this *is* an important issue and *does* need highlighting like this. This *is* the place to talk about it as it relates directly to gaming and ‘gaming culture’ if one wishes to acknowledge such a thing (I do).

However, it was burdened by clumsy humour and a superficial understanding of, or unwillingness to delve into, the necessary pertinent politics.

Mr. Gillen was the heart and soul of this site. I didn’t realise this when he was here, I just knew that, at that time, I enjoyed his writing and the site in general. He, as well as simply being a superb writer, dealt with these broadly political issues with the sophistication they deserve.

This site used to be a great place to hear about indie/lesser known games I wouldn’t have heard of otherwise, to read reviews of AAA titles which diverged from those available elsewhere (not necessarily in opinion, sometimes just in style or approach) and to be entertained by great writing.

Now it’s just another gaming blog (i.e. largely republished AAA press releases), but one where I have to wade through a paragraph of pisspoor attempted humour before I can work out what the article is about.

The site used to have its own style, and that involved humour, certainly. But it was more substantial than *just* that. And it had a quality to it. Personality and wit.

More recently that style seems to have been refined to ‘try to make meaningless, pointless, shitty jokes for the first paragraph’. Which is neither informative nor entertaining. Having to wade through that before I can even work out whether the subject of the article is of interest to me or not is incredibly frustrating.

The site had a little resurgence for me when Mr. Quinns joined. I was hopeful for a while that it was returning to form. But yeah, he left.

The usual response to this sort of criticism is “Bye then”. Which is fine. Yes, I’ve already all but left.

I’m sure the site is more popular (and profitable) than it’s ever been before and I and those who agree with me shan’t be missed. But I think that’s a shame. Something can certainly be both popular and good, but if popularity is your primary concern then it’ll never be good.

Again, I agree with this article. I just wish it were better written and a more interesting take on the situation. I’d love to read a decent writer actually *engaging* with these isssues intelligently. but not this reticent, non-commital sniping in the guise of shit comedy writing.

I enjoy Ms. Ellison’s writing, I believe it’s currently the best on the site. I don’t care about her gender or sex. I don’t regard her as a sexual object simply because she included a picture of herself in an article – I’m glad that she did, it was entertaining and engaging. I’m glad you’re paying women to write about games, we need more of that if this incredibly mysoginistic culture is to ever rehabilitate itself. I admire her courage in choosing to work in such an environment.

I am, in that sense at least, exactly the sort of reader you implicitly claim to want. The sort of reader you’ve almost entirely put off with the apparent change in direction since Mr. Gillen left. I don’t think you really do want me though, I think you want the hits. I think you want to be *seen* to care about the politics but are not willing to go through the difficult work of actually, actively, doing so. (Hiring talented female writers is a great first step and symbolically important, but that’s all it is.)

I’d love to be wrong. I’ll check in every few weeks to see. I used to be refreshing this site all day back when it was *really* good. Remembering that makes me a little sad.

• futage says:

To put it another (much shorter) way: I think you get exactly the readers you deserve.

And, taking it a step further, secretly want.

38. Sami says:

Speaking as a woman, I THINK WE SHOULD BE ILLEGAL

I mean

yay John Walker.

39. David Bliff says:

It’s supremely irritating that the critiques of both this and the earlier article were both that Cara’s voice was too obviously female and that attention to her being a woman is being brought to what “should be” a gender-neutral style of writing. Here’s a radical notion: having a particularly female voice in gaming is a good thing. If Cara wants to write as a woman, she has every right to. If she wants to set that aside, she has every right to do that too. Men assuming their own voice isn’t gendered is a silly product of privilege.

40. Sander Bos says:

Okay, what the hell just happened here in this comment section?
    Can somebody please without jokes or subtle context tell me what this article is. I thought it was a sort of weird general parody on sexism in IT. Certainly a cursory glance at the comments on the Tomb Raider article didn’t show a lot problems, there are more comments about food than anything else. But maybe that’s because I am a angry white sexist male, and I overlook them? Anyway, as I read the article I already found myself not understanding what the point was exactly.

But even then: 596 comments (two of them mine). And counting. Did anybody reading or writing the original article thought, ‘Man this is going to provoke a lot of discussion’??

41. Col says:

Lessons learned:

1. However much you think you hate sexism, you are actually a sexist
    2. John Walker DEFINITELY hates sexism more than you

42. aeromorte says:

Couldnt care less … what are we on xbox or something? “OMG ITS A GIRL!” …

43. jac3624 says:

We need less IGN and more RPS in this industry. My meaning is that we, as gamers, should be more open to the female opinion on games, rater then just just relegating them to snippets of video or little more then eye candy. The industry has changed, more and more women are gaming now, especially since I started in the mid ’90s. I, for one, welcome this change. As it can easily mean a broader view on what we enjoy. Yes, in some ways, it means a better story for games that really need it, we all know of a few that could. As a traditionally male dominated genera of medium, it has been long overdue for the “female touch”, that it so deserves. Just think of the RPG. We could have deeper stories, more varied characters and better settings. Left brain verse right brain(look it up) kind of stuff. I happen to be a man and I think that a female touch is what is needed in this genera as well as other genera of game. Though, I will say that the “macho FPS” (CoD) doesn’t need this influence. Leave the “knuckle daggers” to they’re year-by-year clones and zombie head popping extravaganza.

44. WhatKateDoes says:

MOAR Female reviewers/writers! Drive the Neanderthal troglodytes grumbling back to their caves! Fight fire with (quest for) fire!

45. BlitzThose says:

Cara’s writing has been a breath of fresh air, most of her scribblings seem a bit chaotic and mad but that’s whats good about them, also she seems to have a obsession for a certain Aberdeen originated breaded product so she gets kudos for that too :p

46. bitbot says:

You’re gone from my Adblock white-list, RPS. Stop posting shit articles that have nothing to do with games. I don’t care what gender the writers are.

• Chris D says:

So you’re outraged enough to stop the writers being paid for their work but not outraged enough to actually stop reading. Classy.

47. Panda Powered says:

This place is going downhill fast.
    I implore you all to pirate the site. It is done easy with modern PnP technology.

• Niko says:

You are just saying stuff for the sake of saying stuff, right?

• Panda Powered says:

How dare you sir! I am just an honorable pen & paper pirate spreading the (written) word.

48. Njordsk says:

13 pages later, someone might never read this, but keep it up RPS. Girls, man, who cares. She looks like a nice person and you guys are great.

49. aepervius says:

I still want to know if it is an iron man figure in the background :P