Planet Explorers? Planet ExSPORErs More Like

By Craig Pearson on March 29th, 2013 at 9:00 pm.

Jim and Adam have written words about Planet Explorers, a sort of MMO single and multiplayer voxel-based construction game that’s free to download right now. The reason I am returning to the game is the developer of this oddball mix of Spore, WoW, and Minecraft has just released a video showing their commitment to user-created content. It’s a sci-fi fantasy world with giant, stalking deathbeasts, shiny spaceships, and laser blasters, so naturally you’d expect to see Arrested Development’s Stair Car roaming the lands.

Ah, modders. Give someone an SDK and you can be sure that they’ll take your lore, open up a rift to another universe, and make things touch that were never, ever meant to touch. Planet Explorer’s tools allow you to make a wide-range of things: you can build your own weapons, design your own bases, and as this video shows, the vehicles.

Want to know how they did it? Look here.

I actually played this way before the other two got excited about it, but it was so early there was nothing to do or see. Now it’s full of things and I feel like a fool. And it’s currently Kickstarting.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Brun says:

make things touch that were never, ever meant to touch

And in the game.

• hanyhany114 says:

Liam. although Carl`s st0rry is amazing… last friday I got a brand new Fiat Panda since getting a check for $7594 this month and more than ten grand last-munth. this is certainly the most comfortable job Ive ever done. I actually started nine months/ago and almost straight away started to bring in over $87, p/h. I follow this great link,, ,…, http://www.Fly38.COm/

2. shagohad says:

hmm, is it multiplayer yet? super excited for when it is :)

• shady8x says:

The current alpha is .53, I heard on some forum that multiplayer will be included in version .6 that will be coming out soon.

3. ukpanik says:

Erm isn’t this just Second Life but without the weirdo’s.

4. BooleanBob says:

Are hop-ons confirmed?

5. Randomer says:

StarForge vs Planet Explorers: Compare and contrast in 150 words or less. Go!

• The Laughing Owl says:

Buy both, also buy Starbound. Those 3 indies are more worthy and fun than most recent AAA titles, which would cost more than those 3 games combined.

• Spider Jerusalem says:

i would love to buy starbound. waiting patiently for the opportunity.

• Diving Duck says:

Waiting for Starbound too, I think they must be adopting Valve time – it seems to be taking forever.

• The Laughing Owl says:

Actually they are working pretty hard on Starbound, showing updates and communicating with the community on a daily basis. The matter is, they’re aiming to make Starbound a huge and incredibly detailed game and they have a pretty small team, so it will take some time. Tiyuri, the game director, posted on his Twitter last week about a possible beta launch soon, but he wasn’t so sure about it, because there’s too many risks in releasing an unfinished version of the product, people might lose interest and skip the game altogether or get disappointed becuase of unfinished/bugged features.

• gamefreak701 says:

I find that happens a lot now. Play the Alpha/Beta of whatever game and by the time a full release comes, you don’t have the desire to play.

Might be better for Starbound.

6. Spengbab says:

The guy narrating the first vid sounds about as high as the moon. Guess you have to have something in your system to wanna make another open world, construction/crafting game.

Oh well, it’s still better than more zombies. Unless you can craft zombies in this game.

7. Liudeius says:

I disregarded this the first time because it looked like an MMO, but damn, this looks cool.
    (“A sort of MMO voxel-based construction game,” it’s NOT. According to the Kickstarter, it will have a single player game including main and side quests, as well as LAN/Online multiplayer capabilities.)

I might not support the Kickstarter just because I’m not sure where this Alpha is headed, but I’ll definitely watch it.

I like the way these types of games are going. Without firmly grasping the tech, “voxel-based polygons,” with Minecraft sized datapoints smoothed out for a better image seems pretty cool.

• jorygriffis says:

You guys managed to make Craig edit the post, but have you played the alpha? The current dialog/quest/reward system feels exactly like an MMO, even though it’s single-player. Even the movement controls and UI work more like an MMO than a third-person shooter. I kind of thought that was what he meant.

• Liudeius says:

It’s sad that people seem to have forgotten that most MMO’s are MMORPGs.
        Those elements are RPG elements, just reduced for a total play time in the tens of hours rather than massively dragged out for a couple thousand hour play time.
        An MMO is just an RPG with thousands of hours of extra grinding added.

I agree, it’s quite similar to MMO’s, but that’s because it’s an adventure RPG. The point is to build up your character(/base), explore, and fight.
        Additionally, it has a first person camera, not just a third person. Hopefully the combat will also be polished by the final release so it’s a bit less “MMO”-like.

• ScubaMonster says:

I’m actually disappointed it’s not an MMO. It’s basically set up exactly in a manner for an MMO only it’s singleplayer with some small multiplayer component. Bah.

8. dracma says:

Why no mention of the Kickstarter? http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1757963851/planet-explorers It needs help!

9. Enikuo says:

I’m really looking forward to this game, Stardew Valley, and Cube World.

10. Hashbaz says:

Hyaeh, Hyeah, Hyaeh. Not sure that sound is ever getting out of my head.

11. jellydonut says:

Uh this doesn’t seem like an MMO at all, going by the kickstarter description.

12. Barberetti says:

Have they added an option to invert the mouse yet?

13. iridescence says:

Tried to download the alpha and it always crashes right after character creation. Anyone else have similar issues?

14. crinkles esq. says:

I think the general idea of this game is pretty cool, aside from the fact that the only option when encountering alien life forms is to just exterminate them. But I would rather they focus on making a believable game universe and interesting tech, instead of spending time creating mod tools to let people make the Batmobile and drive it around. That lack of focus doesn’t really make me want to fund the KS.

• shady8x says:

“I think the general idea of this game is pretty cool, aside from the fact that the only option when encountering alien life forms is to just exterminate them.”

Unless it is bigger than you in which case you run for your life. Or if it is one of those night crabs, then you shine a light in its direction to keep it away, especially in the beginning when they can one hit kill you. Also you could just leave them alone, half the creatures aren’t hostile. Oh and I believe they plan to add domesticating of some of the animals for food production at a later build. They also plan to add diplomatic relations with the aliens(might already be in the alpha, I haven’t played that far into the main quest)

“But I would rather they focus on making a believable game universe and interesting tech”

Much of this is already in the game, there are various interesting technologies for you to learn and manufacture and all the creatures behave according to their own species logic. There is a set food chain on the planet. The predators don’t just come after you, they hunt other animals that are weaker than them. Some animals can be found on their own and others travel in herds. Some predator attack by themselves, others form hunting parties. etc…

“instead of spending time creating mod tools to let people make the Batmobile and drive it around”

They aren’t creating mod tools. The item designer is an integral part of the game. Much like you can learn how to manufactures various techs, you can also design your own guns, swords and vehicles. Then if you have the technologies for all the parts you used in the design and manufactured those parts and have the needed raw materials, you can create the item you designed. This item might be better than some items you currently have or it could be worse.

Anyway, designing things ties into some quests. Right now I have a quest where I am to design a car to test out some new engine technology developed by one of the Martians.

The fact that people can use the designer to come up with cool cars is a bonus. One I fear I will never taste, until I download an iso someone else made. Now thing about it. Thousands of fans designing and sharing hundreds/thousands of various swords, guns, vehicles and houses(well, technically a large car that looks like a house). That is a lot of designing work that the developers will not have to do… This will end up being a huge time saver for them.

>That lack of focus doesn’t really make me want to fund the KS.

I don’t really know what you mean. It seems like you either didn’t try the alpha or tried it for a very very short amount of time. You might want to give it a more prolonged try. They seem to have focused enough to create an alpha that is more fun than many fully finished games.(despite bugs, unfinished parts and some other annoyances.) Now they need to focus on finishing the story, fixing bugs and making some improvements.

• crinkles esq. says:

Thanks for the information. You’re right, I hadn’t really had time to do much in the game. I’m glad to hear diplomacy will be an option.

I see what you’re saying about the equipment fabricator. But I think showing a video with an Arrested Development truck doesn’t help evoke the gameworld they’re trying to build. On the contrary, it just makes it seem like they want to make a silly game. Of course people are going to make ridiculous items if you give them the tools, but they’d make a better case for their game by showing off equipment that’s more in line with the fictional universe they’re creating. Perhaps they don’t really have that, and just expect people to create the content a la Spore. It makes me concerned that the team is more focused on building tech than building a game. But when I get some time, I’ll give it another go.

• tungstenHead says:

Being able to craft your own stuff in a replicator seems like a pretty cool piece of SF world-building to me. As far as open world builders go, I’d say that this one’s strength is just how focused it actually is.

• MellowKrogoth says:

Same here, I’m more interested in exploration that in blasting everything in sight (even though that has its place occasionally :P ).

15. sventoby says:

Putting “Spore” in the title reduced my interest by 94.6%. Now it’s time to read the rest of the article.

• shady8x says:

I don’t see why he mentioned SPORE. The gameplay has nothing in common other than the game having an item designer. I suppose it is because of all the various alien creatures in the game world? Except the creatures all have their own behaviors and do their own thing like running from predators, hunting prey(you or other animals), protecting their territory, protecting their herd, hiding from light etc…(You don’t design them, they don’t evolve, there is no ridiculous dancing to befriend them or anything spore like) I guess this has some “what SPORE should have been” elements in it? I don’t know.

This game is a single player RPG with base building, tower defense, material gathering, item designing/building, and exploring of a huge world that actually feels unique and alien.

Just try the story mode in the alpha.

16. JoshuaMadoc says:

I can’t even gauge this game when my laptop can’t run the game beyond 8 frames per second and under. And this is a laptop that can run the newest Tomb Raider just fine, so I doubt it’s a hardware issue.

WELP. Back to waiting for Starbound.

• briangw says:

I think it’s your laptop. My laptop is more than capable of running TR, FC 3, and Crysis 3 and I’m not having the issue you’re mentioning.

• JoshuaMadoc says:

Well, shit, the blame’s on both ends, then. Me for dodgy hardware and probably the game for not being very well optimized.

17. sinister agent says:

Player-made things!

What we hope for: boundless imagination

What we get: Buhh lotr mode huurr hurr hurrr arrow in the knee car hurr the caek is a lie lol

18. bongosabbath says:

This game has absolutely no personality. I can care less about the creation mechanics when the world is squarely located in Boring McBlandsville.

• Zaiketsu says:

I don’t think you get that the game is in Alpha.

Edit: Okay I take it back, their support forum has a moderator that posts a shitty reddit meme .gif every time someone makes their first post in it. Worst game in the world 0/10 will not even back on kickstarter

19. geldonyetich says:

That’s a pretty cool platform, I just hope they figure out how to make a compelling game out of it. Allowing people to duct-tape together parts to create 8-barrel rifles attached to milk crates or recreate the vehicles out of the He Man universe is as cool as it is completely silly and irrelevant to a balanced game.

Comment on this story