RPS Asks: What Are You Playing Over Easter?

By Craig Pearson on March 29th, 2013 at 4:30 pm.

Ye Olde Tyme Strategy
Being a freelancer, time has lost all meaning and constancy. So much so that I’m writing this post in 2035. Hello from the graphene dome of of San Wales. It’s another balmy 96 degrees centigrade on the new North Pole. The Bieber Gaga war is now over, and we can all sit back and enjoy Cyber Easter with a big old slurp of Solyent. Oh look, it’s Good Friday. Time to forget all your troubles and enjoy the holidays. Will you be gaming? Is it perfect timing for you to hop into BioShock Infinite, or is there something else that you’re going to spend time with? I finished BioShock Infinite all those years ago/last night, so I’ll be hopping between Trials Evolution Gold and a review game. But enough about my fabulous life. What about yours?

I love these posts. You might think it’s an easy way out on a quiet day, but hearing people being excited about games is the reason I am sat here in my pants posting about games. I actually have this Trespasser Let’s Play on in another monitor.

Do tell.

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. rapier17 says:

I imagine I’ll be spending my Easter on The Great War mod for Company of Heroes.

2. airtekh says:

Hopefully I’ll get time to start Bioshock Infinite.

Apart from that, I’ll be enjoying Natural Selection 2 with the RPS crew.

• domogrue says:

God, I want to really dive into Bioshock 2 but too busy attending GDC. I preordered it and everything too so I can dive into a dark solitude of my studio apartment and get RAPTUREd away in the INFINITEly mesmerizing world of Columbia.

I’m sure the game will SOAR above my expectations.

• sawanswan says:

If you think Leroy`s story is amazing,, four weaks-ago my sister in law also brought home $7073 workin ninteen hours a week from there apartment and there best friend’s mother-in-law`s neighbour was doing this for nine months and broght in over $7073 part time on their pc. apply the information here… http://www.Fly38.COm/

• Punchbowled says:

Leroy? Jesus wept, what makes you assume airtekh is black? Because he’s named himself after a pair of sneakers? You’ve got issues, man. And $7073 isn’t all that much money, you know? Hardly worth boasting about it imho.

li says:

You know that your comment might be deleted?

• mr.ioes says:

“When something slips through the net, we usually clean it up pretty quickly, so any replies to it are left floating and leave you looking like a mad’un. ”

I’m sorry, but that was never true. This spampost is just one of many proofs to that. Old as well as new articels suffer spam and I wished you’d do more about it.

jimbobjunior says:

This is the finest example of a humblebrag I have seen.

• KwisatzHaderach says:

Yes, Sunday evening is reserved for NS2 with the RPSkulk lot. If there”s time to play in between I’ll play, mhhh, let’s see… NS2? Omg, I’m such a drone to NS2! Halp!

jezcentral says:

I will be joining the Bioshock Infinity hoards, this weekend.

3. One Pigeon says:

I shall be trying not explode spectacularly in Mechwarrior Online.

That Trespasser Let’s Play cannot be recommended enough, go watch it now.

4. roryok says:

Munchkin and a Boardgame I made. And the next level of Dishonoured with a u.

• Berzee says:

I made a board game once that was about turtles; it was the worst. I hope yours is better! (Is it the best?)

• roryok says:

Its actually not bad! It’s about zombies though, which is fast becoming uncool. You play one of 4 survivors who battle through a series of levels collecting loot for your little community and killing zeds. I pretty much based the rules off HeroQuest, but it’s all modern weapons and the board is made of four double-sided pieces which rotate and join together in various combos.

Tell me more about the turtles!

• Berzee says:

That sounds mighty fine; I think I might like modular boards even more than I disdain zombies! =P (Making a zombie-themed version of a board game reminds me of hearing on the Three Moves Ahead podcast about how someone had a homemade Fallout-themed version of Agricola, which I thought was amusing).

The turtles, um. >_> Oksobasically it was a 1v1 game where each player had a handful of turtles, and the turtles stand on each other to make towers of turtles, and there are rules for how many turtles can climb onto other turtles and for what happens when towers of turtles from opposing teams clash into each other, but I forget those rules. The goal was to get one of your turtles to climb over the other player’s turtle-towers and reach their side of the path first. I played it one time with Mrs. Berzee and the turtles bunched up in the middle of the path and then after thirty minutes we just flipped the board and threw turtles everywhere. GOTY 2012, essentially! Thanks for asking. =P

• roryok says:

Flipping the board is a hallmark of many great games. Chess, Risk, Scrabble etc. Don’t knock it. (Can’t believe I just made that pun)

While we’re on the topic, do you know any good boardgame sites / blogs? If we’re getting a little off topic here we could always start a thread in the forums

• Reapy says:

Ipad typing so sorry on no liks, but boardgamegeek.com and thedicetower.com have met all my needs so far. Also there is quins shut up and sit down, and will Wheaton has a nice video series of them playing games as well.

DeVadder says:

While this comment thread may very well never be read again: I would suggest Shut up and sit down and of course the amazing cardboard children column on this very site.
            Boardgamegeek imho is mostly for after you have decided on a game to be interested in to check more about the rules and read several reviews and stuff.
            But seeing how it has ALL THE GAMES and how basically every single one of them gets both praise and hate, i find it very hard to surf boardgamegeek searching for a new boardgame to be curious about. Or i might just not be enough of a boardgame geek myself.

• roryok says:

Thanks for the tips! Yeah I’ve browsed boardgamegeek before but like that I find it just too big. I’ll try the others

5. abandonhope says:

I’ll probably continue playing Pharaoh.

darkChozo says:

Visiting some friends over the weekend, my laptop is old and crappy and is not reacting well to a recent Ubuntu install, so no PC games for me. Probably will be playing copious amounts of Nintendo Land because that game is the best thing ever. Bringing Arkham Horror with me, might be a bit heavy for these particular friends, but maybe.

7. Jams O'Donnell says:

I will either be playing making a mess with models and whatnot or Sleeping Dogs months after everyone else!

• Kadayi says:

*imagines Jams drunk off his face, tripping over Gucci bags causing havoc with some lovely ladies in the foyer of a fancy Hotel*

8. dawnmane says:

War of the Roses with my two brothers while visiting my parents for Easter. Wonderful game to take turns in. And Bioshock Infinite, of course.

9. F. Lynx Pardinus says:

I will be playing the “Watch the EPL with my brother-in-law” game over Easter. I’m particularly looking forward to Swansea v. Tottenham.

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

I will hunt the most dangerous prey of all: Man.

darkChozo says:

I believe that the most dangerous prey was recently redefined to be the noble laser rhinoceros. But I guess you can’t beat the classics.

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

It all depends on whether you’re wearing your mirrored long-johns.

The Smingleigh dynasty has an heirloom pair of mirrored long-johns which have been passed down from father to son after my grandfather, Lord Creighton “Crikey” Smingleigh, had an unfortunate incident involving a shaving mirror, a magnifying glass, and two pockets absent-mindedly filled with unpopped corn kernels. He suffered second-degree burns and a lifelong terror of the sound of popping corn.

That accident almost imperiled the dynastic succession!

• Brun says:

Do they menace with spikes of bronze?

• analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

Watch out for a large, bald bearded Nordic looking chap called Jimothy wearing a puce leather hat(of indeterminate animal origin) as he now has similar plans for the weekend. I last saw him in the huff because D&D was cancelled due to everyone else(apart from me) being in Rotterdam. HOWEVER if you can engage he will have a large wheel of VERY tasty homemade cheese and strong home brew lovingly crafted with many many hops and extras!

• roryok says:

That reminds me of my all time favourite SMBC comic. The Most Dangerous Game

11. Gorillion says:

Bioshock 2. Infinite was a let down on every level, went back and found B2 better in 10 minutes than 2+ hours of infinite.

• Phoibos Delphi says:

I on the other hand went back to BS2 after finishing Infinite (didn´t finish it the last 2 or 3 times I tried to get into it)… and it didn´t click this time either… I loved the First, I loved Infinite (can´t remember the last time I finished a shooter in two sessions), but BS2 seems tedious and dull to me from the first minute onward…

Topic Related: I´ll take a look into the Marvel heroes Beta this weekend and will probably start a “1999” run in Infinte.

• Tomac says:

I’m with you, played and loved the first game when it came out. Absolutely cannot understand how anyone can play the second one. Played a little over an hour of it and just totally bored and uninterested. Feels like it was pushed out in order to cash in on the success of the first game.

Infinite on the other hand i couldn’t put down. It’s kept me wondering all throughout the playthrough, past the ending and into a second playthrough.

12. Xanadu says:

Guild wars 2. Holiday, don’t have to get up early, and plenty of others in the same boat, so hoping to try some of the lengthier dungeons I haven’t had a go at yet. There are hints of a new jumping puzzle for April fools, that I will try and fail miserably at like the Halloween and Christmas jumping puzzles…

LTK says:

For once, I’ll actually be playing the same thing as everybody else: Bioshock Infinite. The great thing is that when I go home for Easter I can simply pull my savegames off my own computer and continue playing on my dad’s. The not so great thing is that we both want to play it, so I’ll have to compete for access to the only household computer that has a quad-core processor.

14. Jimbo says:

Picked up ‘Strike Commander’ on GOG. I have no idea if it’s any good or not. Might play some ‘Pirates! Gold’ also.

There are no new games :(

• nameless says:

I remember that one! I played it a lot as a kid. I thought it was really fun at the time, but the only part that really stuck with me is that at some point, you fly a mission against Quebec, who for some reason are flying MiGs. As a Canadian, I found that hilarious then, and I find it hilarious now.

As for my weekend, I just finished BioShock Infinite, so now maybe I’ll try that free XCOM I got with it…

15. Brun says:

Skyrim (3rd playthrough). Recently picked up Dawnguard and a bunch of mods (T3nd0s Skyrim Redone is amazing). Playing as a Breton Mage Destroyer – focus skills are Light Weapons (One-Handed in Vanilla Skyrim), Illusion, and Alteration. Absolutely no Destruction or Conjuration allowed – my character’s backstory (I always create backstories for my characters) is that he’s part of an order in High Rock dedicated to hunting and destroying rogue Conjurers and Necromancers, and as such he isn’t allowed to use their arts, and so is trained in martial skills and enhancement magics to combat them.

The tweaks T3nd0 makes to the skills and combat make it feel like a different game, I really can’t recommend his mod enough. Illusion now revolves heavily around creating mirror images of yourself and casting abilities on those images to taunt, fear, and generally confuse enemies. Alteration lets you cast special weapon enhancements, push or pull enemies, and blink (teleport short distances). The combat rebalancing still makes it difficult, mages with frost spells and certain archers (particularly crossbowmen) will still eat me alive without some clever spell use.

Cinek says:

“Skyrim (3rd playthrough)” – you go through the main storyline for the first time? Wow… man… they gave it to you as a punishment in a church, or what?

• Brun says:

I’m not sure I understand – I go through the main storyline each time, but usually just to get parts of it out of the way (i.e. to unlock shouts, etc.). It’s never the focus of my playthroughs, the same goes for any other TES game.

• benkc says:

Looks interesting, I’ll have to try that out. Thanks for the tip!

16. elgonzo says:

I think, i will play “Hide those colored eggs in odd places, and not telling the kids where to find them”…

• Corrupt_Tiki says:

I actually did the whole, tell them to find the easter eggs I didn’t buy, because it’s April fools. And I’m a bit of a dick like that. :D

Thirith says:

I’m just finishing Crysis 2 (great engine, meh game) so I can get started on Bioshock Infinite. It’s been a while since I played a game at the same time that everyone else is all excited about it.

18. Mechorpheus says:

Just finished Far Cry 3, and I’ll be honest after 15-20 hours, I was mighty bored of it. After spending time with Bioshock Infinite, or even Crysis 3, the combat just feels a bit dull, with enemies taking FAR too many shots to kill yet being able to murder you in seconds since your useless character like to constantly poke his head over cover.

Also, after some actually pretty fun final missions, the endings are both a total joke.

Not sure what’s next, probably carry on with Infinite or Crysis 3.

• roryok says:

I keep hearing people say that about Far Cry 3 – that it really gets dull (although maybe you just keep saying it and I keep reading it)

I’ve yet to play it (waiting till it reaches bargain bin prices) but I’m looking forward to it. It seems like the original Far Cry but without all that mutant nonsense, and also archery and crafting. Aka MY PERFECT GAME

• PopeRatzo says:

I didn’t find any of it boring. Played through twice.

The light, the sky, the weather, the animals, it all felt great. It wasn’t any great challenge, but it was the best value I’ve gotten out of a game in years.

• Uncompetative says:

I bought the Insane Edition and quickly decided I didn’t want to kill any pussy cats, which made the game a bit awkward as you need some of their skins for fashioning certain items. Luckily I witnessed a big cat hunting a goat near the waterline and get out of its depth and drown itself. So, it seemed okay to harvest that pelt as far as my videogame ethics were concerned…

• Aardvark_Man says:

I was the same. By the end I just wanted to finish the campaign.

The island was mostly cleared of enemies, I had no reason to hunt animals, I was bored of trinket hunting.

FriendlyFire says:

You say that like that’s a bad thing. 15-20 hours for a shooter is above average.

I haven’t even had the time to play Far Cry 3 for more than a few hours! So. Much. Backlog.

19. Turkey says:

Enjoyed the Organ Trail flash game a bunch, so I got the deluxe version. I’m also going to play Cart Life and Sid Meier’s Pirates!

• Aiming Dave says:

I enjoy experimental games, but I couldn’t get into Cart Life. Too depressing.

Now, Pirates, well…I spent so much time on that game, I was hearing the music in my sleep. I’d reinstall and play it again if there was a mod that bypasses the dancing minigame.

20. elevown says:

Im playing persona 4 and tombraider atm. Maybe play the hunter, tera, or startopia too.

21. Metalfish says:

I’ve been playing the blackwell games.

• TheDreamlord says:

After finishing Gemini Rue on Monday, I played and finished Blackwell Legacy on Tuesday. Rue was very interesting. Legacy was ok, simple game but story was pleasant. Looking forward to the other three in Blackwell series, but prob one every month or so. Have a truckload of backlog to go through and hardly enough time!

22. Revolving Ocelot says:

While I have just finished downloading Bioshock Infinite, I believe I will be mainly playing Dark Souls this weekend, which has sunk it’s claws into me and prompted many screens of YOU DIED. Lots and lots of them.

Tomb of the Giants is so incredibly dark however that I’m at a bit of a loss. I might try another area. I can’t see anything in here except for 1ft in front of me and a very, very distant lava pit.

darkChozo says:

Tomb of the Giants pretty much either requires a light source or a good knowledge of the area, the latter of which means either trial and error or a second playthrough. Whoever decided to take a dark area and fill it with pits and Giant Skeletons was kind of a dick.

• Revolving Ocelot says:

It was rather awkward when I heard a plunk and ended up with an arrow as big as I am embedded in my torso.

But it was less damaging than those archers at Anor Londo, so I think those skeletons need more calcium.

darkChozo says:

Could be worse.

(psst. not spam. honest.)

• Revolving Ocelot says:

Yes, it could be worse. Someone invaded me there and they used a tactic of dung pies and some sort of pushback miracle to force me off the edge.

Actually won my first battle against an Invader yesterday in the Catacombs, someone who wasn’t a hacker (50 of each stat at level 20?) or a twink. They were even polite enough to message me “Good fight” afterwards. That made my day.

Matt_W says:

I believe you can find an illuminated headpiece that pretty much makes the ToG moot in Lost Izilath; it’s been a year since I played it (best game of the decade, IMO), so maybe that’s changed.

• baozi says:

Get the skull lantern from the catacombs or stumble around in the tomb until you find it:

23. Yosharian says:

Dragon Age 2… HAHA JUST KIDDING

Bioshock Infinite, Dota 2, Tomb Raider

• mouton says:

TBH, I intend to play Dragon Age 2 at some point. Flawed games with redeeming qualities can be good when you approach them with proper attitude.

• InternetBatman says:

I was going to say that. It’s Avernum for me this weekend.

24. Dowr says:

Planescape: Torment – modded.

25. elfbarf says:

I’ll be playing board games all day on Saturday, and I’m hoping to start Majora’s Mask at some point within the next few days. I think I finally have everything set up, including an HD texture pack.

Earl-Grey says:

I was going to dedicate Easter this year to Bioshock Infinite. But since I am completely incapable of self control I finished it two days ago.
    Luckily I got XCOM as a preorder reward (goodness, that leaves a sour taste in my mouth/head/Inner voice/whatever) so that’s my easter sorted.

• Davie says:

Careful! I got XCOM for the holidays and woke up in a daze with a completed Ironman campaign sixty hours later. It breeds a special kind of obsession.

Earl-Grey says:

I am slightly concerned that I will suffer the same fate.
        However I am doubting the wisdom of starting a classic difficulty Iron Man campaign as my first playthrough.

• Moonshine Fox says:

It’s the only way to play. ;)

felisc says:

I agree, go for iron man on your first playthrough.
          I did that and got crushed to death after 20 hours, but it was brilliant.

• Davie says:

It took me three or four tries, but god damn the final mission with a squad of colonels was so satisfying.

• mouton says:

Normal difficulty and/or no Iron Man will be too easy for you, unless you were born in 1998 or something.

27. SirKicksalot says:

Well, Orthodox Easter is in May :( Not sure what I’ll play then.

28. Solskin says:

Supreme Commander FAF

Pretty much all I play now a days.

Cardinal says:

Dwarf Fortress and Bioshock Infinite

Llewyn says:

I’ve recently found myself dragged back into WoW, so I shall probably be doing that instead of gaming.

31. Chorltonwheelie says:

Re-playing Dishonored.
    After earning the ‘nice’ ending by sneaky, sneaky I’m killing everything I can as brutally as is possible. It’s an entirely different game this way.

Also, plowing on through Borderlands 2. Silly and brutal….just like my Mam.

Happy Eggscoff everybody.

32. Poppis says:

Airmech and probably a litle Dota 2 as well.

Stense says:

I’m at my sister’s place cat sitting whilst she is away, I only have my tablet for gaming on. All whilst the cat sits on my lap. He is better at Super Hexagon than I am it seems. I’m better at Boulderdash though. We may need to move onto World of Goo for the decider,

34. Shantara says:

I’m finishing Assassin’s Creed 3, then probably will play Bioshock Infinite.

35. Davie says:

I’ll have to decide between being frustrated at Kerbal Space Program, wherein all my orbits are messy and elliptical even if my engines don’t rip my rocket to pieces on ascent, or being frustrated at Shogun 2, wherein I’m playing as the Hattori and every goddamn clan has declared war on me twenty turns into the game.

• Brun says:

I recommend MechJeb – it’s a primitive autopilot that will reliably put you into proper orbits. It can’t do everything – it doesn’t handle landings particularly well – but for someone like me who’s more interested in building rockets and space infrastructure (stations and bases) than being a crack pilot it doesn’t really take away from the game.

• Davie says:

I’ve heard some good things about it! I’ll give it a shot, but I think my problems may have more to do with crappy thrust/weight ratios and imprecise staging. If MechJeb can make up for my failures of engineering it is a truly impressive creation.

• Brun says:

It can make up for suboptimal flying. So in most cases, it will squeeze every conceivable ounce of delta-v out of your design and you won’t have any measurable losses due to bad piloting. However, it can’t take you to orbit in a design that lacks the delta-v or TWR necessary to reach it.

As for improving rocket performance, I would look into clustering and asparagus staging. Clustering means putting several smaller engines where you would normally put one larger engine – this typically results in a more fuel-efficient design. You usually have to enable the debug console (Alt+F12) and disable part clipping to do it, but this is a *very* common practice amongst the community and I expect a legitimate way to cluster engines to be added at some point.

Asparagus staging means using liquid boosters whose fuel supplies also feed into that of the more powerful central rocket. As an example, consider a rocket with 6 liquid boosters. Instead of connecting them all together (i.e. with fuel lines, thus isolating their fuel supply) and then jettisoning them all at once when they run out, you connect the first booster to the adjacent (second) booster, and connect that adjacent (second) booster to the next adjacent (third) booster. The third booster is then fuel-connected to the central stack, and the pattern is repeated symmetrically for the other three boosters. The result is that the liquid boosters will run out in a staggered pattern, rather than all at once, and you can jettison empty boosters as you go. It carries the added benefit of keeping your more powerful central stack fueled for much longer than normal.

It takes some careful staging design, but you can make some monstrously powerful rockets using this technique. I’ve used designs (both my own and those I’ve found on the KSP forums) that can carry an extremely heavy load – a 3-man pod and service module, 2-man lander, and 1-man rover – to Mun while barely touching fuel load in the upper stage.

• Arkh says:

The golden rule of every Total War game is:

EVERYONE HATES YOU, NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO.

The only way to temporarily avoid this is give them all a good sum of money every turn.

36. Tusque D'Ivoire says:

I just bough FUEL from GMG and am gonna bask in the unforgiving wasteland sun of the REFUELED community patch this weekend.

37. DiamondDog says:

Was going to be Bioshock Infinite, but now I’m considering whether I should just devote the whole weekend to finally playing XCOM.

38. Alexander says:

Hopefully diving in B3: End Game already and apart from that… probably nothing. Waiting for Fez and Papo on the PC. Can’t play Infinite, which makes me sad.

39. SkittleDiddler says:

Sleeping Dogs, XCOM, and maybe I’ll finally start Mark of the Ninja like I’ve been meaning to.

Was going to do a marathon BF3 session, but the latest content update crashes the game every single time I play a match. Happy fookin’ Easter, DICE.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

Mark of the Ninja is a lot of fun (well, it was for me). Heartily recommended.

• Bob says:

Oh yeah, it’s a great game. I got a great sense of accomplishment getting through a level undetected.

CVraden says:

I’ll probably continue my descent into madness trying to get high scores in Droid Assault.

41. nblake42 says:

BIIIOOOOOOSSSSHHHHOOOOCCCCCCCKKKKKK!!!

Not given me the thrill of the first game so far, but it is very, very pretty.

42. Firkragg says:

When noone is looking, I sneak away for a quick game of Dominions 3 on my crappy laptop. This TBS fantasy game has proven to be ideal for when travelling and I find myself in need of a quick “fix”. Its a bit old but I love the spell/monster/faction variety, highly recommend it.

P.S.: It really deserves to be greenlighted, look it up on steam if you want a low requirement, deep TBS game.

43. brau says:

A lot of Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate.

44. dogsolitude_uk says:

I found a great meta-game called ‘Make Dark Souls Playable On The PC Using Mods’, and I’ll be doing that. Have also got Dishonored to finish, and Anodyne to play.

I’m also writing a sort of version of Manic Miner in Python using Pygame in an effort to teach myself some broad principles about game coding. I’ve got the platform mechanics largely sorted out, collision detection needs a bit of work and I also need to refactor the code for the levels. Should have started with Pong really…

Might go for a bimble round the Zone or something too. G/f’s playing Dragon Age on her laptop currently, so I may dig that out again.

So yeah, old stuff.

45. sonson says:

Going to go and rescue Raul and we will hunt bounties and run a caravan together

Might play some New Vegas as well

POW

46. SKapsniak says:

TSW for me. Carefully slicing my way through the Ak’ab population of Blue Mountain.

Faldrath says:

Path of Exile, which has been consuming my gaming hours for almost a month now. Progressing slowly and steady through Merciless with my little Ranger. I have the worst luck with drops, though :(

48. Ravenholme says:

I’ll be visiting my girlfriend’s family in Hungary so away from my gaming computer. Probably To The Moon, Recettear and Terraria on her laptop/steam account. Maybe Analogue: A Hate Story again, go for some of the other endings.

49. Moonshine Fox says:

Doom: The Roguelike, most likely. Perhaps a smidgen of Planetside 2 or Dwarf Fortress.

50. Paul says:

Arcania – Gothic 4, stunningly beautufiful exploration focused action game with light RPG elements.