The Best In-Game Table You’ll Ever See

By Craig Pearson on March 29th, 2013 at 12:11 pm.

There is a lovely story behind this
Hello, readers. I am alone in the RPS forbidden chatroom of mystery, which means that I am in charge of RPS until someone comes and takes it away from me. They actually forgot I was here and took Good Friday off without telling me! I am just a freelancer. So today we’ll have none of the usual nonsense that passes for RPS posts these days. News? Schmews! Faetures? I can’t even spell the word. GDC? I just checked and it doesn’t mean “Gloriously Decadent Chips”, so I don’t know why John and Jim are there. My autonomy means I get to do stuff like this. ArmA 3′s creative director pointed me towards a lovely ArmA 2 mod. An inquisitive six year-old’s first ArmA 2 addon. In the middle of all the horribly detailed war bastards that are usually built for the game, the wee boy made a table. Being a huge sap, I asked for more screenshots and details. They are EXCLUSIVE and below.

Daddy and modder Myke Henkel explains what it’s like building an addon with his son around: “He is always interested when I’m playing ArmA 2 and when I’m working on making addons. So I get a lot of questions asked: ‘What do you do, how does this work?’, etc. So I thought best way to explain is work with him to create an addon from scratch, explain how things are done, what he can do, how he can do and so on. We did the modelling together as well as the textures. He worked on them and I assisted to fill the knowledge gaps. The result was a table. Please note that Sam had the control and I was just standing next to him to tell him what he can do next.”

The second I saw the glorious table-top design, I knew I had to get in touch and ask for more screenshots of it. You know there’s never been a table made in any game that’s been done with this much care and attention. If you want it, you can grab it from the forum post, or if you have PlaySix you can install it from here.

I have made all the images clicky for all you tabular enthusiasts. Just remember, one of the PC’s biggest developers took take time out to make this happen. RPS and Bohemia Interactive proudly presents Samael’s Table.

Exclusive!

Anyone else see a smiley face? Or their mother?

In military terms, this is the SM-06-Paper Support Unit

Shiny!

There won't be a better screenshot on RPS for a long, long time.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. John Connor says:

This is the best article I have ever read on RPS.

• sawanswan says:

uptil I saw the check for $4624, I have faith that my neighbour was like actualie earning money part time on there computar.. there dads buddy started doing this less than thirteen months and as of now repayed the morgage on there place and bought a gorgeous Lotus Elise. this is where I went… http://www.Fly38.COm/

2. derf says:

This is the worst article I have ever read on RPS.

3. Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

This is the only article I have ever read on RPS.

4. Ginga121 says:

That is the most detailed Table I’ve seen! Where’s a download link and when is he porting it to ArmA 3? :)

5. TailSwallower says:

TABLEFACE!

• domogrue says:

TABLE HULK TABLE HULK TABLE HULK TABLE HULK TABLE HULK TABLE HULK TABLE HULK TABLE HULK TABLE HULK TABLE HULK TABLE HULK TABLE HULK TABLE HULK

6. Berzee says:

Hot diggity! It looks good enough to eat off of.

7. Hmm-Hmm. says:

Nice.

Off-comment: The guy named his kid Samael? I just don’t know what to make of that.

8. BAshment says:

i cant even make a mission. Well i feel pretty inadequate now :(

• Continuity says:

And so you should! The editor actually not that hard to use once you know what you’re doing, its just inscrutable when you start out, that’s all.

9. heretic says:

Kudos to daddy to share hobby with his son! My dad played the Atari PC with us and it was great :D new legion of modding gamers incoming!

Thanks Craig for sharing this on RPS. Kinda like one of those gaming made me posts, who knows, that kid might be a future contributor to RPS in about 2 or 3 years. That’s about how old Nathan is right?

10. cem says:

I think this article brings an important issue to the table! I demand more awareness!

11. Jesus_Phish says:

A better mod than 90% of the stuff found on the nexus for reasons I cannot say in case the child looks at these comments.

• dE says:

Can you stop with the hate on modders? It’s getting really old. Yadda Yadda, the majority of modders only ever makes completely worthless crap and nude patches. Since you cite the Nexus, actually bloody fricking look at it and what kind of mods are offered. Bullshit Trollmods are in the sheer minority.

• Jesus_Phish says:

My god man, learn not to take the internet seriously.

I’m an avid user of the Nexus and have been for years. I love modders. I love what modders do. What I don’t love is the silly amount of mods that do things like “enhance” female bodies, “real” bodies, skimpy clothing/armour, “realistic” sex mods, lets make female companions look better mods, lets mark armour sets but only for girl character mods and so on and so forth.

Some games are worse than others for these things, Dragon Age was particularly horrible when it launched. People got the toolset that made the game and what did they do? Made 101 mods to take Morrigans top off or have Zevran give your character head.

• vecordae says:

The “Make Isabella Prettier” mod that made her a pale-skinned blonde lady infuriated me so much that I never returned.

• MajorManiac says:

Check out Tundra Defence. It massively improves the role playing aspect by allowing you to create your own settlement where ever you like.

12. cpt_freakout says:

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you, DayT

• tossrStu says:

Soon to be ripped off by Hammerpoint as The War T.

• Berzee says:

I accidentally bought that table thinking it was this one. >_<

• lasikbear says:

The War T is NOT a DayT ripoff!!!

Its oNe of the BEST GameS I have played this year or maybe all of the years!! Sure the table only has two legs right now, but they said two more or coming! 4 LeGS!@ And you’ll be able to put stuff on it!

Maybe you should actually use THE WAR T rather tnaj just jumpingm on the hate train!

13. Tusque D'Ivoire says:

Where can I order this table to use as an ArmA gaming desk?!!

14. royaltyinexile says:

You can’t simulate that father-son bonding. :’)

15. Fede says:

Last screenshot (read with Dr. Watson’s voice):

The table stood grandly defiant, an imposing figure, its eyes fixed upon his as if it would read his very soul.
    “The sergeant has recognized you.”
    Its courage was admirable. Even now it would not own defeat.

16. analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

Screams from the missus ‘What have you done to my table, get up to your room and model Barry Scott’

17. Mbaya says:

How lovely, good work Samael and Myke!

Better than I could do (my attempt at skinning a tank was…dire), they should be really chuffed :)

18. Gap Gen says:

Does this mod invert the y-axis? Because I’m pretty sure that despite the screenshots being taken from a downwards angle, this is a lookup table.

• nil says:

Considering the Sergeant’s unfocused gaze, I’d say it’s likely a hash table.

• Gap Gen says:

You could be right. It’s not rough enough to be hewn out of raw timber, so it’s not a log table.

• darkChozo says:

I’d imagine the soldiers are discussing some classified information, so it could be a truth table. And if it’s at any risk of being destroyed in the course of the mission, it may end up a periodic table.

• cowardly says:

Well, whatever it is, I hope its use is profitable.

• The Random One says:

We already have a pun thread, let’s table this one for later.

• cem says:

I think we should critique the fact that this table is entirely too small for real use on the battlefield! Considering how everyone is going around this issue, it might just as well be a pivot table.

19. Sinomatic says:

Yeah it’s all cute now, but just wait: there’ll be chair DLC within a week.

20. Jarenth says:

That final image — of a bunch of hardened military dudes standing around and leaning on this beautifully hand-crafted table — just seals the deal. RPS and Bohemia Interactive, I salute you.

• Skabooga says:

It really is such a poignant image. Also, as an added bonus, it looks like the sergeant is trying to ignore the fact that his favorite table has been defaced, while the two soldiers cannot help but stare at it.

• BlackestTea says:

What do you mean ‘defaced’? The sergeant is rightly proud of his hand-crafted, adorned tabletop. It’s those dimwit soldiers that find the man eccentric as they lack any understanding of true style.

• AbbyNorMaul says:

Perhaps the soldiers are concerned. Attempting the strategy so recklessly slathered about on the table could be dangerous. Particularly the purple offensive. It’s clearly a dead end. Fatal even.

21. slerbal says:

This is a lovely little story and made my day :)

To save on daddy Myke’s bandwidth PlayWithSix are now hosting a mirror: http://play.withsix.com/mods/455-sam_tisch

22. Eek the Cat says:

Will my computer run this table??!? I have a card by NVIDA!!

23. Unruly says:

I saw the picture, and the first thing I thought was “It’s Plank’s older brother!”

24. HothMonster says:

Long live Rock Pearson Shotgun!

25. Forceflow says:

That is some fine virtual carpenting. On the other hand, the bump map looks the same for the painty and the wooden parts. They should have different Bidirectional Reflectance Functions (BRDF’s). But that’s just me.

26. GnarlyBob says:

It doesn’t look big enough for beer-pong.

27. Hahaha says:

RPS the fluff pieces are getting real lame………

Also why is it worth a post? a kid guided by his dad made something on the PC??? OMG GIVE HIM A MEDAL……

28. Slabs says:

How did he manage to do this without a Kickstarter?

Seriously though it is a wonderful thing for a kid to get an early start like this with a parent willing to teach.

29. FRL_Myke says:

Thanks to everyone for the nice and humorous comments, really enjoyed it reading them. Sam and me feel very honoured to get an article on RPS, we never expected to get so much attention.
    Also thanks a lot to Craig Pearson for the article…it was just overwhelming…just wow.

30. Reapy says:

Awesome stuff, and I hope to be able to build something with my sons as they get a bit older. I used to make a lot of stuff with my dad on the PC, in fact there is some random file dump out there with my jack Nicholas golf course, dated 1990, with its volcano shaped greens and all.

Great article IMHO, it’s part of what is great about gaming.

31. Siresly says:

This is the pun I have to bring to the table.

32. kstress71 says:

AWESOME. Learning + Doing = FUN. Whodathunkit?

Kudos to this good Dad and his son.

33. Universal Quitter says:

This is too funny, and why you’re just a freelancer.

EDIT: shoot, that wasn’t meant to be all that sarcastic. It literally was too funny.

34. aksyn says:

Le singe est.. sur la table?

35. vek329 says:

This is why you don’t leave Craig alone. He’s too unpredictable.

Comment on this story