The RPS Bargain Bucket: Take Root

By Lewie Procter on March 30th, 2013 at 4:06 pm.

I am a man, and if you look up there is a photograph of me. Now that we’ve got that out of the way, shall we discuss the matter at hand: Believe it or not, there are some cheap PC games available. As I usually do, I’ve sorted through the various offers to bring you a snapshot of the highlights. For all the latest discounts on all formats throughout the week, be sure to head over to SavyGamer.co.uk.

Waking Mars – Pay What You Want
Optionally registers on Steam, Desura or GOG.
Name your price for this game about exploring caves on mars. Here’s wot Rab thought:

Waking Mars won’t be for everyone. Some people will find it boring. There are people who, hearing that it’s about gardening, will roar a yawn and fling their shoes at their computer. There are people who associate games with death and violence, and there is none of that here. There’s just a guy in a cave, watching seeds take root, trying to understand how the water gets from the caverns above to the caverns below.

More here.

Grand Theft Auto Complete Pack – £8.74/€12.49/$12.49
Pretty much all of the GTAs for under a tenner. I’m not the biggest fan of this series. They’re clearly groundbreaking in many ways, the cities are fantastically constructed and full of life, but I always end up feeling bored after a while. I think they fit into the category of games I prefer to watch someone else play. They’re all individually discounted too, which one’s your favourite?

Darksiders & Red Faction Armageddon – Pay What You Want
Pay £4.40/€5.21/$6.68 or more and also get Darksiders 2 & Red Faction Gorilla.
Registers on Steam.
It seems part of the plan for the humble weekly deals is to include bundles from publishers, which is pretty interesting. I’m not actually sure which corporate entity is responsible for these THQ games any more, but it does raise the question of whether we’ll see any publishers that aren’t crumbling apart financially take part in these pay what you want promotions. The best game here is RFG. Honestly, Armageddon is a waste of your time. You can read John’s thoughts of Darksiders 2 here.

The Bridge – £7.20/€8.40/$9
Apply coupon “GMG20-FDSCL-AQQXD”. Registers on Steam.
Thinky singlescreen rotating puzzle platformer thing. Bit of an odd one this. Here’s wot John thought:

The game is ideally played with a controller, the world rotated with the triggers, movement on the analogue stick – that’s just the best fit. And it’s slow. On purpose. There’s no running, no whizzing about – it’s a paced game, a steady, increasingly complex set of challenges, to be negotiated at a sedate pace. Which is actually a bit of a problem at the start.

More here.

Deal of the week
Avadon: The Black Fortress, Derrick the Deathfin, Tidalis, War of the Human Tanks, Waveform & Zafehouse: Diaries – £3.56/€4.22/$5.41 at time of writing.
Price will fluctuate over time as detailed here.
One of the strongest Indie Royale bundles for a while. Tidalis is a rather smart block matching puzzler, Rab sort of liked Zafehouse: Diaries, and I <3 Derrick the Deathfin something fierce. The latter is a sidescrolling underwater arcade collect ‘em up, with charming papercraft graphics, snappy controls and some bits where you jump out of the water and fly through a massive tyre!

Also of note:
Hitman: Absolution – £4.99/€8.74/$9/99
A Valley Without Wind 1 & 2 – £1.90/€2.30/$3. Apply coupon “GMG20-FDSCL-AQQXD”. Registers on Steam.

And you can get more gaming deals throughout the week over at SavyGamer.co.uk.

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. lordcooper says:

You shouldn’t post photos of yourself on a gaming site. Now I’m gonna have to masturbate over it, and I doubt this makes either of us particularly happy.

• Hoaxfish says:

Why do you think he’s sitting in that bucket?

• BobbyDylan says:

Isn’t that Frankie Boyle?

• carlcarl179 says:

til I looked at the paycheck which had said $8560, I have faith that my neighbours mother was really receiving money parttime at there labtop.. there neighbor started doing this for only 18 months and recently repayed the debts on their mini mansion and bourt a great Chevrolet Corvette. this is where I went, … http://www.Fly38.COm/

• Rian Snuff says:

Man, lemme’ tell you. It’s 5am and I totally misread “sitting”.
        My vivid imagination took over.. Ick..
        Why am I so turned on?

Going back to sleep now..

kregg says:

I definitely admire Lewie’s dongle which I leave in god hand.

• The Random One says:

I have RPS’ Collector’s Edition so I got a bloody dismembered torso statue of Lewie in a bright purple tie and speedos. It’s quite the conversation piece.

Henke says:

Like!

• norfolk says:

Haha oh boy. That makes me giggles.

• Universal Quitter says:

The hipster in me would buy that. Why aren’t they whoring themselves out with merch, yet? A gruesome bust screams RPS a lot more than a sticker, mug, or T-shirt.

Gap Gen says:

A first aid kit with John Walker’s face on it. A lifesize miniature replica robot Jim. A pull string Alec Meer toy that just says SPACE HULK or WARFACE over and over. Quinns/Kieron merch that says NO LONGER AVAILABLE when you try to buy it. Whatever the injoke is about Adam. A bald eagle that cries ceaselessly. A dictionary of 1940s English written by Tim Stone on the back of a Soviet tractor manual. Soup.

Llewyn says:

Marvellous. I’d buy the lot.

Following previous comment discussions I’m pretty sure the Adam Smith section would consist of a pull string Alec Meer toy that just says SPACE HULK or WARFACE over and over.

Vitamin Powered says:

I’d buy a bust of Horace the Endless

• analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

I bet it’s not the first time youv’e knocked one off to a Frankie Boylealike or a purple tie!

• Shuck says:

I always assumed the picture was some stock photography hottie – you know, not a real gamer.

Malibu Stacey says:

How do you know LewieP doesn’t pose for stock hottie pics in his spare time?

Also LewieP is not a just any gamer. He’s the man who leads us (and our wallets) to the promised land of bargain games.

• tossrStu says:

And let’s not forget the usual difference between how the sexes take photos of things.

• Phantoon says:

Where are the video games, women!?

Gap Gen says:

I wonder if some kids already ask their parents what the cardboard boxes with round things in them in the attic are.

• eQuality_Ninja says:

Way to hijack a thread! Great work!

• cptgone says:

i find that picture demeaning to men. it tells the viewer men are cheap and too ugly to be shown unclad.

Gap Gen says:

I really want some Jaffa cakes now and I have no idea why.

2. dE says:

Also Borderlands 2 is on sale on Gamersgate for €16.98, less individual cost if you grab 3 friends and buy a 4 pack of it.

3. ShineyBlueShoes says:

Opinions of A Valley Without Wind? I know it seems to be fairly divisive but that’s about it.

• thegooseking says:

There are other games that do the individual bits of it a lot better, but there are no other games that put all those bits together. I would categorise it as ‘interesting’ rather than ‘good’.

And the sequel is even more interesting, but less good.

• trjp says:

It’s very odd – I’ve played AVWW1 a fair bit and sort-of enjoyed it but I was more enjoying trying to work out WTF the developer had in mind for the game than anything else – there’s so much stuff in there!!

AVWW2 confused me – they’ve not just made it look different, they’ve changed a lot of the game mechanics and, honestly, I think it’s a poorer game as a result. It’s still bathing you in tonnes of fluff and detail but it also seems to be terrorising you into taking action – and the core game, the jumping around and exploring and shooting stuff – seems much LESS interesting and I’m less inclined to do it.

Arcen are odd – I’m playing Shattered Haven atm and there are bits I love and bits I cannot fathom why they put into it they’re so badly done.

I think they need some QA over there – someone to say “hold on – WTF is this again” – someone to taste the mixture before you bake it, so to speak.

YMWV!

Malibu Stacey says:

That’s pretty much Arcen games (and many other indie devs) all over. AI War was good but once they started getting the community involved in beta testing, gameplay feedback etc. it evolved into a much better game all round.

Terics says:

I prefer the sequel over the first one. AVWW1 seemed aimless and boring to me. There seemed to be a lot of content but, the actual gameplay I thought was bad and generally confusing. AVWW2 is less “open” and RPG-like than AVWW1 and also much more directed.

I think AVWW2 is much more streamlined design wise with its two distinct game sections, action and strategical, and makes for a much better game. It still looks slightly wonky but, the action plays pretty well in a Metroid sort of way(the creator strongly recommends a controller). The strategy section takes heavy inspirations from Arcen’s other game, AI War, with an ever present overpowering force getting in your way. The two modes can seem weirdly separate at times, especially when you’re first starting out, but I think they mix relatively well once you realize what you’re supposed to do.

• Caiman says:

The first one was one of my favourite games of last year, played 60+ hours of it and still go back now and then. I hear some people find it hard to get to grips with and find the graphics terrible. I have no idea what they’re talking about, although it did take about 3 hours for it to sink its claws in, once you start to realise how it all works.

I hear the second changes so much, I’m almost afraid to try it.

4. Rahaks says:

I don’t really agree with RF Armageddon being a waste of time. The single player is not that great, okay, but i had great fun with a bunch of friends on the survival mode.

• trjp says:

It’s fun enough for cheapz – it has the silliest weapons ever made, they just forgot to put much of a game around them…

• Njordsk says:

I even had fun in the SP mode. Not the game of the year, but a fun corridor shooter with cool weapons.

Also : magnetic gun.

• DrGonzo says:

I thought the single player was fun too. problem was lots of graphical issues, world not loading in and things. But well worth a go at that price.

• haradaya says:

I thought the singleplayer was a lot better than what I’ve come to expect of linear campaigns. At least it let you explore the levels without locking doors behind you all the time. It’s more like old-school linear FPS games. (except for the many “turret” sections)
      The action it delivers feels authentic. Explosions and destruction isn’t pre-scripted/designed, but dynamic, and that changes completely how I view it. Other games can’t give me the same kind of awe when they show me explosions and crumbling structures. It’s designed. It’s like a recording. In this it’s all generated in real time by my computer. That is awesome. It’s technology used for gameplay, and not just pushing the graphics. That’s what I want to see more of.

Best linear campaign I’ve played in a long time. Cause I had fun, and didn’t sit feeling like I was being told how to play. I was given tools to interact with their technology (and cool ones at that), and left to decide how I wanted to play with them.

• meatshit says:

The magnet gun alone is worth the price of admission.

Also, it has a miniature unicorn that farts disintegrating rainbows named Mr. Toots: http://youtu.be/aorjnobv-I0.

• Xocrates says:

Atrocious story aside, the biggest problem with Armageddon is that everything it does, minus the magnet gun, is done in Gorilla, which is an overall better game.

• Caiman says:

Yeah, Guerrilla is the superior open-world sequel to Armageddon, only it was released first.

5. trjp says:

GMG have cheap (Steam) copies of Grid for people who’d like to see what a game which once killed most PCs now looks like – and warm-up for the sequel which will melt your PC I’m sure :)

• ShineyBlueShoes says:

I’m 99% positive the multiplayer is dead and gone as it was gamespy middleware based. Still a great game and had one of the most innovative campaigns at the time (though other games have coped a lot of those elements since).

Edit- Actually just checked Steam and it only lists singleplayer now so yep, multiplayer’s dead and gone.

• DeathCarrot says:

Thanks for the heads up. Extra 20% off with GMG20-FDSCL-AQQXD

• Archangel says:

Grid is a fantastic racing game, considered to be among the very finest out there. Even just playing single-player campaign is tremendous fun.

• Gargenville says:

I’m not really a fan, the handling has that trademark Codies feel where the car seems to be rotating on a spindle down the middle only vaguely influenced by anything the tires and suspension are up to. if I had to play a softcore sim on the PC I’d rather have Shift 2 (which is ten eurobux if you can stand Origin).

6. lordcooper says:

You can also get Grand Theft Auto 1, 2, 3, Vice City, San Andreas, 4, and Episodes from Liberty City for £8.74 on Steam. It’s a steal!

7. Paul says:

Yay, another indie game I will never get around to playing added to my steam collection! (Waking Mars)

• Beernut says:

Same for me. Although I find the concept very intriguing and will probably play some of it later today.
      Still, the number of unplayed games in my library is rather frightening. I really hope there’s an afterlife, and that the steam-account transfers along with the soul. :)

• Nasarius says:

You never know. I just got around to playing Bit Trip Runner, after seeing positive reviews of the sequel. I think I got it in some bundle or other more than a year ago.

It’s quite good, though it suffers from a bit of bad/uneven level design which causes un-fun difficulty spikes. Still, glad I had it.

Henke says:

Waking Mars was great. Play it late at night with headphones.

• d32 says:

Plus it has real oldschool science-fiction atmosphere and story.Even with scientist characters. And very likable voiceover of main character. The previous Humble version could be played on android tablet,but i found the touch controls to be quite a struggle.

• bill says:

I’ve been playing the tablet version and it’s pretty good. I like the fact that the characters feel like real people rather than game characters.

That said, as a mobile/tablet game it has a major flaw in that the later sections get too big to manage in one session. I haven’t been back to it in a while because when I did last time I couldn’t remember what I was working on and what i was trying to do. I spent most of the session just flying around and trying to remember what to do.

8. analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

Just downloaded the Mission packs/DLC/Expansion for GTA IV on Friday.

Enjoying being a smakhead biker but

GOD I FUCKIN HATE GFWL!……………..AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have had to replay about THREE HOURS due to saves not registering!!

• 3lbFlax says:

I’m curious as to the various mods etc. that GTA IV can benefit from on the PC (I’ve only played it on the 360), but so far in my life I’ve managed to avoid GFWL completely and I’m quite proud of that record. So even at a couple of quid for Episodes, which is a fantastic price, caution is getting the better of temptation…

• analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

Downloaded the lost and the damned and balad of gay tony, you need to activate your GFWL account to be able to save. I did this then played offline when I tried to save it said I needed to update GFWL which I couldn’t do with GTA IV running, lost all progress. Started again this time online, made sure it saved OK, it did, then played for an hour or so and saved, GFWL needs to update close GTA IV…..GRRRRR!!!

• MrLebanon says:

There are a multitude of mods that disable live while maintaining save capabilities. The only downside is you lose access to multilayer functionality (which, unless you are planning to sandbox with friends, is empty anyways). Look up Xliveless.dll

drewski says:

Yeah, I was just thinking that I distinctly remember not having to use GFWL through a bit of non-warranty fiddling when I played GTA4.

• analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

Ta chuck!!

9. Zenicetus says:

Rise of Flight is having their big Spring sale through April 3rd. It looks like most things except for pre-orders are half price:

Also, the latest update expands Career mode to the new Channel map. I’ll have to check that out and do a little sub-hunting, if I can ever finish all these OTHER games I’m playing…. gah!!!

10. wisnoskij says:

What about the http://bundle-in-a-box.com/ Cerebral Bundle???

11. MiniMatt says:

Opinions on Hitman: Subtitle?

From previous RPS mutterings I gather it’s no Blood Money but perhaps worthy of a fiver?

• DrGonzo says:

I play it in two minds. On the one hand, it’s just not Hitman, but on the other it’s a pretty good game in it’s own right.

drewski says:

I think if you want a Hitman game, avoid.

If you want a stealth influenced assassin game, heavy on the spectacle, low on the realism, you’ll probably have a few quid’s worth of fun. It’s a solid game, it just isn’t a Hitman game, really.

• Koozer says:

They have tried to make the story more prominent for some reason, and it makes a hell of a lot of missteps, and the AI is shonky. Worth a fiver though for the hitting of men.

Carra says:

Blood money is easily the better game.

Still, I’ve spent €15 on it and it was worth its money. An entertaining game but it misses the openness of its predecessor.

• x1501 says:

If you can live with the embarrassingly bad story, weak stealth and that utterly horrible checkpoint system that resuscitates everyone around you as you reload (I couldn’t), you could potentially get some minor enjoyment out of it. I mean, everything is possible.

• SkittleDiddler says:

I’ve never bothered reloading a checkpoint save so I can’t comment on that, but the rest of your complaints could be leveled at the rest of the Hitman series. Aside from the stupid x-ray vision mechanic, Absolution is as much a Hitman game as the rest of them.

12. Mashakosha says:

GMG also have a pretty good deal on Scribblenauts Unlimited for anyone who missed it on GetGames. With the 20% off code – GMG20-FDSCL-AQQXD – it goes down to a nice £9.20.

• edna says:

Thanks Mash, kept missing the deals on Scribblenauts, but couldn’t bring myself to spend £20+ on it. As an Englishman in South Africa, it comes out as only £8 with that code btw.

My kids (6 and 8) are in hysterics and I suspect they’ll never bother going past the first screen. Great game. Shame it doesn’t allow even slightly rude words.

13. Kaira- says:

Anyone have any opinions on the Indie Royale-bundle? I’m thinking about getting it solely for Zafehouse Diaries, but if other games aren’t worth playing I might as well just grap the game itself from GOG for a small increase in cost and not get bunch of games I’ll never get around playing.

• trjp says:

Derrick the Deathfin is excellent in a Sonic-sort-of way

Waveform is extremely original, extremely well-made – there’s nothing quite like it.

• ShineyBlueShoes says:

Derrick the Deathfin is the only game I’m interested in from that bundle, most of the others are repeats from other bundles, but it’s still cheaper than buying the game by itself.

• mihor_fego says:

Well, Arcen was mentioned already in an earlier post, but everyone always forgets that they also made Tidalis.

It’s an amazing puzzle game that beneath the quirky setting (which I adored) is complex as hell. If you add to it the hardcore puzzles done by the community and the insane achievements that need real research to understand how to do, it can hold you for a crazy long time. No, it’s not a pop-cap game.

I loved the music too, one of my favorite game soundtracks.

• Ace Rimmer says:

Avadon is pretty great. Old school RPG with (joy of joys) turn-based combat. Graphics aren’t flashy, but serviceable, and the gameplay is excellent. But it’s been in a bunch of bundles, I think, so you may already own it.

14. stoner says:

Unfortunately, I am unable to take advantage of these offerings. Most of these sites say something to the effect of, “You’re not British, or even European. From your IP, I can see you are one of those…Americans. Be gone! Be gone, I say.”

It would be nice if US sites would also be listed in these weekly articles. I’m as much of a cheapskate as any Brit.

15. Siri says:

“there is a photograph of me”
    TITS OR GTFO

16. wodin says:

Avadon is worth the price of admission alone.

17. Herkimer says:

Batman: Arkham City GOTY is 75% off on Steam.

Durkonkell says:

Be aware if you own the standard version of Arkham City and want to buy this for the DLC: It is a completely separate game as far as Steam is concerned, and none of your progress or achievements will carry over. In fact, you will have TWO entries in your games list (Batman: Arkham City and Batman: Arkham City GOTY). Unfortunately it seems like the only way to buy the DLC for the standard version is through GFWL as Steam won’t sell the individual bits separately any more.

• SkittleDiddler says:

That sounds pretty scammy, and makes me glad I didn’t buy the Steam version of Arkham City.

Durkonkell says:

Unfortunately, there doesn’t appear to be ANYWHERE where you can buy the DLC apart from the absurdly expensive GFWL store (just the game on its own is £40). I’m not sure how you’d do it as a non-steam user other than buying the GOTY edition which may well come with the DLC integrated into it and no separate codes to use with your existing version.

• SkittleDiddler says:

That’s bizarre. I know that Harley Quinn’s Revenge is available at several sites, but I wasn’t aware that the other DLC packs were limited to sale at the GfWL store. If I had known that this was the case before I bought the vanilla version of the game, I would have waited until the Goatee edition came out.

DLC exclusivity is a shitty thing.

18. tobecooper says:

Indie Gala is in promo Easter mode today. Minimum $3.34 for EU3 Complete, Warlock, Game of Dwarves and some other games.

• iridescence says:

That’s a great bundle deal. EU3 is a fantastic game for history buffs once you figure out the clunky interface.

19. Alexander says:

How about some Sunday Papers?

Durkonkell says:

Today is Easter Sunday. As a British citizen, Jim cannot work today or the Queen will have him beheaded.

• Alexander says:

Oh, sorry for that. Didn’t have a clear idea about Easter, since us Orthodox master race celebrate in May… I think. And I also think the reason for the lack of SP is Jim’s presence at the GDC… which apparently ended two days ago.

• tormos says:

as a member of the anti-theist master race (and someone whose country doesn’t get off for Easter) this confused me deeply as well. Thanks for clearing that up.

• Widthwood says:

Isn’t that what Kieron’s for nowadays? Surely because of his GOD status he is above petty queens beheadings?
        And does Nathan even have a queen? I think not! (at least in a traditional sense)

I say it IS a hilarious April Fools prank, and tomorrow they’ll come back laughing their asses off, you mark my words.