Continental Drift: GRID 2′s European Tracks

By Adam Smith on April 2nd, 2013 at 1:00 pm.

I hadn’t realised that GRID 2 is a game about global domination disguised as a competitive automobile racing simulation but, following an Americar trailer, there’s now a video of European tracks and vehicles narrated by fictional Racing Lord and Man of Business, Patrick Callahan. He is an entrepreneur who dreams of recruiting drivers for a global, multi-discipline Cars Wot Go Fast Championship and he is particularly attracted to Europe because, in his own words, “that desire to race is in the blood here”. I can’t speak for the rest of Europe, but given how much of an average Brit’s blood is taken up by ‘the desire to queue’, I don’t know how much room is left for racing.

The Eiffel Tower can be seen from every street corner in Europe, apart from those streets that have a view of Big Ben’s Elizabeth Tower.

What would be the best city to race a car around?

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Llewyn says:

What would be the best city to race a car around?

The general consensus seems to be Rome.

2. DrollRemark says:

Between “the desire the queue”, “the desire to drink tea”, and “the desire to complain about the weather”, there’s very little left for us to do with our lives.

3. Mr. Mister says:

Maybe it’s in our blood (British excluded), or maybe not, but what we definitively laugh at is U.S.A.’s low speed limits. More than one of us has been billed there because they thought it was a joke.

Also, the spambot above me (as of 14:25 where I’m at) scares me.

4. mikmanner says:

I can tell that there’s going to be an agonizingly long time between turning the game on and racing. Codemasters are terrible for it, sitting there staring at a menu while someone talks to you in depth, very carefully explaining what a menu is.

• neems says:

Oh God yes (or, indeed, no). Sitting there for 10 minutes while either an annoying dude-bro or a terrifying European woman show you round your trailer.

• Hungry Horace says:

Who do they talk to, who says they like all of that driver’s personal journey rubbish?
      A sense of progression from gradually opening up new events is great, but we don’t need characters in a racing game.
      That ill-considered nonsense makes me grumpy. What a waste of money, and every player’s time.

5. The First Door says:

Utterly unrelated to the game, but I’m really rather happy you called the tower by the proper name. Bravo, good sir!

6. Redkid says:

Mandatory “no cockpit view, no sale” statement, even though it depresses me.

• Grey Poupon says:

Wonder how many sales they would have lost if there’d be no Bens or Eiffels and instead a view of the cars themselves from the inside. And how many they would have gained. Just seems odd to me.

• Derppy says:

I’m personally more worried about the “one difficult fits all” -approach and “lack of driving assists”.

I loved the GRID with no driving assists, minimal HUD and locked head cam, but I’m willing to bet the one difficulty isn’t quite that.

7. Cytrom says:

Would have been a much better trailer without random invisible man talking random nonsense, and just showing nicely rendered cars going vroom vroom in nicely rendered environments.

• Axess Denyd says:

That said ,the environments (and cars) would look a lot better in a world without Project CARS.

I mean, just LOOK.

• utzel says:

The most apparent difference for me when playing Project CARS is the generally clearer and sharper image. That’s in contrast to everything looking a bit blurry and with excessive use of questionable color filters and bloom that marks it as a Codemasters game.
        Hopefully there will be modders on it again after a few days. I liked Grid as an arcade racer with every car oversteering and a drift being the best way to go through most corners, the trailer promises as much.

• Hogni Gylfason says:

I only heard warning messages, as in the only racing modes mentioned were knockout and elimination, with a cursory TOCA mention, albeit with *drifting* cars in the background.

I loved GRID, but only as it was my portal into the racing sims, forcing me as it did to buy a wheel. A gateway drug to more hardcore lands, if you will. The lands of nKP, rFactor and iRacing – wtf is with the inane capitalization on those, anyway?

This? pCARS (sic) looks better imo, has difficulty settings you can use to ease you in, and none of those contrived bullshit racing modes that all non-F1’20XX codie racers have these days.

8. Axess Denyd says:

I was under the impression that driving in Europe was just a series of identical (but for the passage of time), alternating views of Big Ben and Parliament.

9. lowprices says:

Playing the original GRID now, and very much enjoying it despite the fact that I tend to steer of racing games more realistic than Burnout.

Not looking forward to the inclusion of a narrative though. I like my racing game stories to begin and end with “Here is a car. Be faster in it than other people and you will get a different, faster car. Keep doing that until you are the Best at Cars.”

The lack of an in-car view doesn’t bother me, as I use either chase or bumper. In-car always feels like I’m trying to guide the car from the back seat.

• Jason Moyer says:

Disliking racing games more realistic than Burnout is pretty much the definition of “I like Grid”.

• lowprices says:

Generally the important question is “How important is it that I slow down for a corner?” Grid’s “fairly, but don’t go nuts” isn’t quite at Burnouts “not at all”, but it’s still a good answer in my book.

10. tricky2050 says:

Absolutely loved the original Grid so hopefully this is just as fun. Really peeved they left out the demolition derby mode, multiplayer with mates was so much fun.

I’m assuming it was left out due to Dirt showdown but that was shit IMO and was nowhere near as fun as Grids derby mode.

11. fish99 says:

Or just play Assetto Corsa.

• Capt. Eduardo del Mango says:

The tech demo was good but I don’t think a road going sports car was a good choice for showing it off. The incredible fidelity in nKPro’s tyre/suspension physics and FFB really came alive with the single seaters, especially the FFords, and the Lotus is sluggish by comparison. It’s like a tech demo for Flaming Cliffs 3 having an An-72 as the one flyable plane. Still, everything felt about right (if slightly unexciting) – should be good when he gets the proper racing cars in it.

And Grid and Assetto Corsa aren’t supposed to be the same thing. “Minecraft? Or just play Dwarf Fortress…”

12. Tinman says:

The trailer would have been better without the dialogue. I could not care less about anything the American voice man has to say. If anything, it is putting me off the game slightly.

Hopefully they bring back the chillax music and lovely voiced lady of the original GRID. I would find it unbearable having the dude in the trailer talking to me the whole time. The DIRT series are bad enough for it.

Comment on this story