Run, Don’t Trundle, To The New Bundle In A Box

By Alec Meer on April 2nd, 2013 at 12:00 pm.

Oops, we very nearly missed the boat on the latest Bundle In A Box, which ends within approximately 10 hours of the time of writing. If you fancy a pay-what-you-want grab-bag of lesser-known indie curios and delights, you should get on that right away. Dinner Date and Phantasmaburbia are perhaps the best-known of the main contents, though really I’m on board for anything called Necrotic Drift Deluxe.

In the wake of GDC’s championing of the recent rise of independent developers even as the mainstream increasingly struggles to support its astronomical budgets and top-heavy hierarchies, the agreeably ramshackle Bundle in a Box seems like a charming child of our times. The minimum price is $1.99, so it’s not quite pay what you want, but if the price of a cup of coffee seems too outrageous a price for the work of six developers I’m not sure we can be friends.

Vampires!, Dedale De Luxe and Amidos Puzzle Collection complete the basic package , though beating the average price (currently a piffling $5.23) will also bag you J.U.L.I.A., I Get This Call Everyday, Cognition Ep 1 and Reversion: The Meeting. I’ll confess to being unfamiliar with most of these, but that’s a low price for a lot of games – it’s surely a dead cert that there’ll be something to win you over in there.

Here’s a bundle of trailers, in fact.

VIDEOGAMES.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola

yhancik says:

I totally didn’t misread Phantasmaburbia into something else

2. JonasKyratzes says:

The Indie Dev Grant is also a really, really cool idea that deserves more attention.

3. InternetBatman says:

I wasn’t crazy about any of the games offered this time around. I think Indie Royale has the strongest bundle offering this time around, but I already have half of the games.

4. timespike says:

I personally think the bundle hierarchy looks like this:

1. Humble Bundle
    2. Groupees
    3. Tie: Indie Gala / Indie Royale
    4. Bundle Stars
    5. everyone else.

That said, I’ve seen some amazing stuff come through every major bundle provider at one time or another. You really just have to stay vigilant.

• Gnoupi says:

Humble bundle usually has the most popular and successful indie games. Which in my case means I usually own them already, every single time.

I quite like Indie Royale, it’s making me discover hidden pearls in the middle of more known games, almost every time.

• Liudeius says:

I’ve not trusted Indie Royale since I purchased it and got some crappy one screen space shooters made by one guy (charlie games) who was on par with a first year high school programming student.

If you look at their bundles, they are generally one good game (which may appear in the Humble Bundle) and three crap games which you should never touch. (Recent bundles are slightly better though. Like the last one which was a couple of those “one good game”s combined into one bundle.)

• Jenks says:

For me personally, Indie Royale started in a strong second but has drifted down the list. I was buying most of their bundles for the first half a year or so, but now I haven’t bought one in quite some time.

• vai90 says:

For me personally it’s like this:
      1. Humble Bundle
      2. Indie Royale
      3. Groupees
      4. Indie Gala / everyone else

The Humble Bundles were always great, Indie Royale had lots of good ones, Groupees had mostly good ones and Indie Gala has always been a bit weaker, but still alright and then they kinda turned to shit. All the others are hit & miss. Sometimes you get a good one, sometimes you don’t.

If you find it hard to track all the different kinds of bundles, check this site out:

The “Active Bundles” tab is a bookmark of mine. ;)

5. malkav11 says:

Necrotic Drift is a work of interactive fiction by the lovely but rather polarizing Robb Sherwin. Available for free, of course, but I assume the Deluxe version has extras of some sort.

6. demicanadian says:

I’m afraid of no game…

7. Rinu says:

Ha, finally got Cognition with OST and comics for fine price. :) Thanks for the alert. I didn’t know about this website.

8. Snargelfargen says:

Thanks to a tragic accident involving an arc welder and a team of angry roller derby girls, I am only capable of trundling, or in the right circumstances, hurtling.

9. cloudnein says:

As I am compelled to buy anything RPS posts, I bought this bundle again. (Seriously, not the first time I’ve bought the a bundle twice accidentally. Good thing I’m a cheap-skate!)