And Now There’s In-Game Torment Footage, Too

By Nathan Grayson on April 3rd, 2013 at 10:00 am.

Imagine this, but in mooooooooooooooooooooootion.

Back in my day, RPGs were nothing but intangible, entirely unmoving canvases for imagination. And by that, I mean yesterday. Torment: Tides of Numenerararararararararara took its first itsy bitsy widdle slime-drenched steps toward existence with a screenshot, but boy do they ever grow up fast. Now it’s moved on to a full-blown (though extremely brief) video, and before we know it, the Planescape sorta-successor will be driving, going to college, and raising its own litter of little Torment-lets. But I’m probably getting ahead of myself, because I desperately hope it’ll eventually pay my retirement home bills. However, that “eventually” just got a bit further off, as Torment’s already suffered a slight delay. Video and explanation after the break.

Chitinous. I do so love it when that’s the first word that springs to mind after I see something. If that’s not a sign of greatness, I don’t know what is. But yes, this is basically yesterday’s screenshot, just with a little motion and some snazzy mood lighting thrown in for good measure. Even so, the vibe’s suitably creepy crawly and foreboding, so I’m starting to feel cautiously optimistic. Because that’s how I react to icky, gross things that will probably eat me.

As for that delay, well, it’s actually because inXile’s managed to change the nature of too many men to “unceasingly spew money,” so it needs some extra wiggle room to squeeze in all the extra features.

“Many of you have asked if the unexpected support we have received will require us to push back the release date. While we do not yet know what our final development budget will be, we do know that we’ll need a few months past the December 2014 launch date we first proposed at $900,000. It’s our plan to use funds to keep the team on the project longer, allowing us to design, iterate, and polish more, to make a game that truly lives up to the Torment name.”

Meanwhile, the team’s also added even more stretch goals, all the way up to $4.5 million. As of now, Torment’s got a few days left in its Kickstarter, and Chris Avellone’s involvement is just a hair away from becoming a done deal. Naturally, then, inXile’s hopeful that the final few days will prompt another volcanic explosion of generosity.

Regardless, it looks like all the stars are aligning quite nicely. So how are you feeling about Torment’s shiny new pants? Do you think inXile can do Torment’s legendary (a mighty impressive feat after only one game) legacy justice?

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Cinek says:

so… mid 2015.
    So many things can change till than. And as far as this sequence is far from looking great now – I’m very worried how it’ll look like in 2015, and I doubt they’ll earn a lot of cash from it in 2015 with game that will look like (at least) 6 years old. Especially when most likely by mid 2015 we’ll be back in PC limbo where every big developer jumps back to consoles doing the same shit to PC that they did roughly 4 years ago.

Still have high hopes for this game, and I’ll be delighted to play it and get my huge pile of physical goodies I preordered, but to be honest: I can’t see this title being a commercial success in mid 2015. So I don’t know how the franchise will expand and if there will be any follow-up for this (hopefully great) game.

• Lars Westergren says:

> And as far as this sequence is far from looking great now – I’m very worried how it’ll look like in 2015,

I think it looks great already, and this is only a quick spike done over the weekend by one guy. When they have all tools in place and a year to polish, I think it is going to look fantastic.

> I doubt they’ll earn a lot of cash from it in 2015 with game that will look like (at least) 6 years old.

I think most fans of old-school RPGs and Torment especially are more concerned with an intriguing world and great writing, so I wouldn’t be too worried about that.

> Especially when most likely by mid 2015 we’ll be back in PC limbo where every big developer jumps back to consoles doing the same shit to PC that they did roughly 4 years ago.

I think the consoles are going to face a big uphill battle this generation. There is not a huge leap in graphics capabilities this time, and people seem to be more aware of the tradeoffs you make with closed proprietary platforms now. Why pay a subscription to Microsoft to get access to a limited selection of services you get for free with a PC?

But if you are right, if the major publishers are rushing back to the console money troughs – what better time to release a game that focused on PC only, what PC gamers love?

• Cinek says:

“what better time to release a game that focused on PC only, what PC gamers love?” – when PC gaming is at it’s best and sales are good enough to make companies dynamically grow.

• Lars Westergren says:

If Kickstarter has shown anything it is that there is a significant market opportunity for companies NOT running with the herd towards “current big market trends” but instead serving niche customer groups that feel underserved.

• Vorphalack says:

Yep, the unhealthy obsession with unsustainable growth is pushing companies towards mobile, browser and FTP games, not helping core games at all. It’s sort of insane that just making a moderate profit is seen as unhealthy in the shareholder driven market. Kickstarter is a big win for the little guy and the medium sized guy who can’t compete with the big guys in the ”growth” sectors, and a big win for ”niche” gamers who want a product with more depth and complexity than the mass market can tolerate.

• Bhazor says:

Someone needs to make a proper flowchart of all the failed “Futures of PC gaming” because its getting hard to keep track.
            Facebook/social gaming – pretty much dead
            Streaming – barely started, already major casualties
            F2P – Bubble rippling at the edges
            MOBA – reaching the point where a cull is inevitable

It seems that the most likely future is basically going backwards about a decade and bringing back all the dead genres the industry forgot about.

• Brun says:

Which is exactly what most people on RPS seem to want, despite the fact that it will never happen. It would be great if we could take a time machine back to 2004 and “restart” game development from that point and have it evolve differently. But it won’t ever happen – not even a catastrophic industry crash could force such a change.

That said, you’re correct that nostalgia cash-ins seem to be the next “thing” for major developers.

• The Random One says:

You are essentially saying that companies should release their products when the competition is the most numerous and focused. That doesn’t sound like good marketing strategy. Do you work at EA?

• AngoraFish says:

They will keep expanding by continuing to kickstart, and the same people will kick in to the kickstarter, more or less. People contributing to this game aren’t hanging around waiting for the next gen console release.

They don’t need to make any money out of post release sales, that’s just cream on top. All development costs are already covered out of the kickstarter funds. It may not make anyone fabulously wealthy, although it may, but getting a regular paycheck will be more than enough for them to keep doing it.

• ColdDeath says:

“looks like its 6 years old” really? Why? Because of “oh no they are using 2D things in this game, 2D is SOOO yesterday”? …. *sigh*

• Tuco says:

Looks great to me.

• Reiver says:

Tbh this sort of game doesn’t really age like an fps. The art and style make it relatively timeless. The original, for example, still looks beautiful imo when you use the res mods it’s only mechanically, ui and a small bit of animation that really date it.

Anyone put off by graphics or new consoles was never in this games target market to begin with. Which is probably why KS was the perfect platform for it.

• Lemming says:

- and I doubt they’ll earn a lot of cash from it in 2015 with game that will look like (at least) 6 years old.

Describe, please, what will make this look six years old, because I suspect you don’t know what you’re talking about. Art-styles have a sell by date now, do they?

• InternetBatman says:

Any sales on this game post-kickstarter are profitable. That’s the huge difference. Also, Psychonauts is still selling on Steam (Doublefine uses the money to fund small mobile games), and that was released on the PS2. Digital Distribution means that if a game is good, people will eventually pick it up.

• karthink says:

“And as far as this sequence is far from looking great now”

You’re kidding me, right? It looks fantastic for a proof-of-concept video. Here’s what InXile said:

“Obviously, this is a very quick test – we’ve only had the screenshot for a few days, after all. =) This was basically Koy’s weekend (thanks, Koy!). But if this is what we can do in a couple days with pipelines we’re still developing and without programmer involvement, than you can imagine (we know you all have great imaginations!) what will be possible after we really delve into the project and after months of polishing final areas.”

The game is going to look even better when they get down to it. And as for looking like PS:T in slightly higher resolution, I think you’re comparing it to the PS:T in your head. I played it in Jan, it looks nothing like this.

• Giuseppe says:

To me graphics is one of the least important aspects of a game like this. I’d rather have them concentrate on writing a great story, with great lore and with good game mechanics.

• luukdeman111 says:

first of all, planescape torment is still regarded as one of the best RPG’s ever, even by people who played it very recently (like myself) so graphical fidelity is not that important in an RPG like this.

Second: the fact that it’s mostly 2D and has this very handdrawn look to it automatically makes it age better so therefor it’ll probably still look great in 2015

• Kamos says:

The game looks beautiful now and it will still look beautiful in 10 years. It is not trying to be photorealistic, and it is not throwing itself into the uncanny valley like Dragon Age. It is trying to portray its concept art, and doing it pretty well.

2. Lars Westergren says:

A week or two ago PayPal pledges added some $50k extra to what is listed at the Kickstarter site, I think we have already “unlocked” MCA.

Lovely stretch goals. $4M is the big one of course, but I’m almost as excited about the “Crafting Numenera” one at $4.25M. I like crafting and alchemy in games, but their implementation is often rather simple – combine a recipe with ingredients and you are done. Skyrim had some alchemical experimenting which was nice, but mashing a few ingredients together until you had exhausted the search space wasn’t exactly tasking for the brain. Crafting Numenera sounds a bit like adventure game elements are added? “Puzzles tied to the world and narrative” – something like the Unbroken Circle of Zerthimon?

• InternetBatman says:

$500 short by the latest paypal count. So yeah, it’ll happen within the hour.

• Somerled says:

“Crafting Numenera” sounded more like a making of documentary when I read it. I hope you’re right, though. Edit: by which I mean I hope you’re right that it’s as interesting a mechanic as they make it sound.

3. Teovald says:

Kickstarter needs to change its estimation date system.
    Asking the project creators to give a date when the number of backers can blow any estimation is just stupid.
    If a project get 300% of what it is asking for (ie ut is very successfull and popular and its development will be followed by many people/websites), it is ridiculous to expect that it will be finished in the same amount of time.

bigger budget = longer project. You can’t make a baby in one month even if you add eight more women in your team..

• AngoraFish says:

But then we’d be putting out of a job hundreds journalists and bloggers who are making careers out of bemoaning the inability of successful kickstarters to meet their deadlines, and how this failure inevitably means the death knell of crowd funding for the remainder of all human existence on this planet.

• SanguineAngel says:

Personally, I think it’s not a big deal at all. An estimation is just that and not a deadline at all.

• Lars Westergren says:

> You can’t make a baby in one month even if you add eight more women in your team..

A team of 9 women can release about one baby a month for quite some time, if they start by planning a year ahead to stagger releases ;)

• luukdeman111 says:

I’m not sure what I should think of your reasoning…. While it is technically correct, it sorta freaks me out…

• Teovald says:

true, but we have one baby to make here, not 9 and we just want the first one in a month. I think we should stop this comparison right here before going too far in the creepy-zone.

• MentatYP says:

You were doing great until the baby analogy.

• Teovald says:

It is one I hear often and it is quite good to explain to a PM that no, development by slice or doubling the team size to finish faster are not good ideas.
        If you have a better one, I am all hears :)

4. deke913 says:

1 year is reasonable. But just in case I am wrong I will shave my head today so that I will be unable to pull my hair out when the time comes that I no longer feel this way. I may be the only one who actually was hoping for what this screen shows…a top down Infinity engine looking game….and chitinous…hopefully with critters that I can make something reminiscent of ankheg armor.

5. MrEvilGuy says:

Watch out behind you!

6. 123kings says:

I’m a little disappointed for the extended wait but I’m glad that I pledged $45 so I’ll also get Wasteland 2 which I think will be released before the end of the year.

Wasteland 2 and other future games would be enough to keep me occupied till the release of Torment and I hope that I won’t get married and become a dad by the time Torment releases otherwise I wouldn’t have time to play.

So no hard feelings.

• karthink says:

Project Eternity, even inevitably delayed, will be out well before Torment. That alone will keep my RPG hunger sated.

• iridescence says:

I’m happy they gave themselves extra time. I want this game to be an artistic labor of love where all needed time is taken to get the vision exactly right not something rushed out the door to meet an arbitrary deadline.

7. UmmonTL says:

That video looks like they just animated a model in front of their concept art and added a bunch of pseudo-lighting effects.
    Edit: Rewatched it in fullscreen and I’m not sure. Parts of the wall certainly looks rendered and not drawn but the candles don’t and I’m not sure about the edge of the pool or the alien statue. Either this is a very impressive looking engine but the light effects are still very basic or they are going for pre-rendered backgrounds.

• Oozo says:

Actually, “very basic” probably doesn’t even cover it. It’s something one guy banged together in one week-end. (If I understood correctly, more or less in the way you implied.)
      So it’s not even pre-alpha, it’s more like animated concept art.

Still, I like the style they are going for — I think that’s the best you can deduce from that video.

• UmmonTL says:

It’s a bit strange of them to actually show this off in a video then. Even stranger to call it in-game footage though that was probably done by Nathan. Animated concept art makes some sense and gives you something to put on youtube I guess.

• karthink says:

“Technology and lighting test in Unity”

That’s what they called it. Various websites picked it up and posted it as gameplay footage. This is actually hurting the project right now.

• Kamos says:

It is a pre-rendered background with a few dynamic objects (the smoke, characters, etc.). It is being executed in Unity, that is, it is a representation of what can be achieved with the actual game engine. That is, while the game is in pre-pre-pre-production, that actually is “gameplay” footage, in a sense.

• rustybroomhandle says:

Yes it’s pre-rendered.

8. somnolentsurfer says:

The concept art at the beginning looks all fantastical and colourful. Then the in game shot is… brown.

• SanguineAngel says:

and yellow and purple and blue. I would disagree, I think it’s quite colourful. Also, I do feel allowances should be made for basic lighting etc.

• Midroc says:

If you look at the concept art for the area the footage is in, you can see it’s a dark place. The other areas we’ve also seen concept art for are very different and brighter places.

• somnolentsurfer says:

The concept art is green and purple (and teal and orange). The video is brown.

• luukdeman111 says:

Looks like they heard ya! Check out their new screenshot… Worries gone?

• somnolentsurfer says:

Yay blue! And also pale brown…

I guess I’m always slightly disappointed by the transition from the painterly concept art style to rendered backgrounds. I shouldn’t be so cynical, it’s clearly far to early to judge. But the world in the Numenera art work looks genuinely interesting. I want to go there, not some grimdark fantasy dungeon.

• Kamos says:

I think that since The Bloom is a big “structure”, there will be both sunlit places (with bright green, purple, orange and teal) and dark places. I think a lot of people have voiced the same concern, and they are reading what we’re saying. I wouldn’t worry too much, they have 2 years to fix such things.

9. Alextended says:

The first content looks nice enough but, when people questioned doing a second Kickstarter before their first game is done, didn’t they claim something along the lines of how only a very small team would work on Numenera doing pre-production type tasks until Wasteland 2 is done so that its development wouldn’t be affected as only people who have already offered all they can to that game would move away from it? Surely 3D artists don’t fit that criteria, unless Wasteland 2′s assets are all done already, which doesn’t seem to be the case. I’ve pledged on both games (a boxed copy for Wasteland, the basic pledge for Torment, I’d like to get a box for all my Kickstarter games but only Wasteland’s was reasonably priced with extras even in the basic tier) but I want equal effort on both and equal greatness, just with a different focus and style of role playing. I don’t want one to be their big game they put all the effort in and the other the lesser experience. They cost more or less the same.

• InternetBatman says:

To be fair, they did say the artist did it over the weekend.

• Alextended says:

Slippery slope though.

Hopefully the finished products will show me I worried over nothing.

• FriendlyFire says:

You’re going to have to point out where you’re seeing a “slippery slope”, because I ain’t seeing it.

• Alextended says:

Sorry, not feeling like hand holding you through basic logical processes.

• FriendlyFire says:

I was trying to be gentle and not calling you out on your bullshitting, but if acting like an ass suits you, then good for you.

• AngoraFish says:

In basic logic, the slippery slope argument is widely considered fallacious. Now who was it again who needed hand holding in understanding basic logical processes?

• Alextended says:

You two apparently, since you imply the need for tangible proof, generally asked for claims of facts, when I only express worries I have for a project’s future. I’m sorry, time machines haven’t been invented, otherwise I’d have checked and would instead be posting either about how my initial fears came true or how all is well and I’m happy with how awesome both Wasteland 2 and Torment are.

But sure, go ahead and e-stone me to grow your e-penis and white knight people who I neither offended nor care about any of us, that’s probably about all you can achieve for the day, hence the obvious emotional investment you have in this, enough to take harmless comments like mine way too heavily into your heart to be healthy for you.

• karthink says:

Artists are part of the pre-production team. The background was made by artists. The only programmer hours diverted to this effort were one guy’s weekend-he did it in his time off from Wasteland. InXile are going above and beyond our expectations of them towards this kickstarter.

• Alextended says:

Since when are such asset creators considered pre-production? Or only programmers as production? News to me. It’s not like this is concept art, it’s an actually modeled area (and characters?), even if it’s cut or remade later.

• karthink says:

I’m trying to find the interview where Brian Fargo explained the make-up of the pre-production team. I’ll add a link if I find it. It has a few concept artists two of whom also do 3D modeling.

Also, it’s not just programmers in the main pipeline–there’s scripters, testers, artists and writers involved to differing extents. (I never said it was only programmers, that was quite a leap.)

• Alextended says:

Either way content creation like this is not pre-production even if they call the team members such. That work could be put in the game that’s actually in production, while they keep doing concepts and such for Torment.

• karthink says:

I agree. But it’s a slippery slope argument both ways. I’m personally not bothered even if they stole an artist away briefly to generate this mock-up. I think InXile know what they’re doing.

• FriendlyFire says:

They’ve taken concept art and put it in a concept engine to see whether the idea of 2D backgrounds with 3D foreground objects and 3D lighting could work. Why make this into a big fucking deal? It’s perfectly normal.

• Alextended says:

By their own words it’s “game art oriented (as opposed to concept art)” so there’s that.

• Deano2099 says:

Prototyping is pre-production.

• Alextended says:

Prototyping doesn’t need fully developed pre-rendered art and 3D characters like this.

• Vorphalack says:

They aren’t fully developed, and prototyping does need examples of work that will resemble the final product.

• jalf says:

Er, yes it does…. If that is what you’re prototyping.

And good grief, what exactly are you whining about? That they dare make progress on the game? They dared make some graphical content?

What exactly did you expect? Do you think that “preproduction” is a code word for “no one is allowed to make any assets whatsoever”?

Preproduction usually just means that a smaller team is working on the game, because a lot is still up in the air, and it’d be wasteful to go full steam ahead with, for example, asset creation until you know more precisely what you’re creating assets *for*.

Preproduction does *not* mean “no artists are involved”, or “no assets can be produced”.

• Alextended says:

Maybe you should read my whole post instead of go on rants about what you think I’m talking about. I’m specifically talking about its impact on Wasteland 2 which also needs artists and programmers and everyone that can work on it. Whether you can prototype models and art is not the question, nor am I whining about it, I’m expressing a worry for games I’ve funded that I don’t want to see end up half baked because of a new project that takes away staff from it when they specifically previously claimed it wouldn’t because only people who have given all they can to Wasteland 2 would be moved over. Artists who could be making new content or refining existing content for Wasteland 2 don’t fit that criteria whether you call the work they do on Torment pre-production prototyping under some hypothetical criteria or not. They’re not people who only do writing or people who only do concept art that’s already done for Wasteland 2, they’re people with practical skills like 3D modeling that they now display for Torment when they could just as well be working on Wasteland 2 still. If what you get from this is that I’m whining about them making progress, then you need to lay off the crack and stop posting straw-man arguments. Soon, please.

• Kamos says:

You don’t really know enough about inXile’s roster or schedule to be able to reach such a conclusion. This was a temporary assignment using minimal resources, something that they had to do because the project’s backers need to see an in-game screenshot. Again, *temporary*, for the purpose of showing KS backers what they can do when Torment does reach production. It is a bit ridiculous to panic even if someone was diverted from Wasteland 2.

10. wodin says:

I really do prefer this kind of viewpoint and graphic style over something like Skyrim. No matter how great the graphics start to look these days in first person or over the shoulder third person for me nothing tops the old Isometric type viewpoint. It’s also a much better viewpoint for party based games.The character looked great I thought.

• karthink says:

Yeah, they have issues to sort out with mixing 2D backgrounds and 3D props, but the standalone character animations seem pretty good.

• Kamos says:

I think they need to work on the shadows cast by the 3D characters, to be honest. The figure doesn’t cast the shadow from the candles, and that makes it look a bit like it is floating over the scenario. They probably couldn’t figure out an easy solution for this in a short time, so I’m pretty confident that over the next two years we’ll see a lot of small improvements in the graphics for this game.

11. Michael Fogg says:

They are trying to have monumental and weird architecture as seen in the concept drawings despite the fact that the game is iso-schmetrick, that is not suitable for showing much else than a flat plane. All the spacial grandeur will at best not be conveyed in any meaningfull way, and at worst will just block the view of the action. A bunch of wasted effort, if you ask me.

• karthink says:

Why do you believe they’re trying to shoehorn in monumental architecture? (By the way, they plan to let the player zoom in/out.)

• Subject 706 says:

The weird architecture has to do with the setting you know. As to how the spatial grandeur is conveyed, I’d say it depends on the level of zoom. There’s also that small issue of budget, you know. A full 3D version would need a massively bigger budget, not to mention the fact that a lot of fans would probably be dissatisfied with such a choice.

• Michael Fogg says:

Yeah, after all Sigil was a giant pretzel floating around a spire in the original lore, so looking upwards from street level would give you a pretty dizzying view of distant rooftops on the other side. Just imaging it rendered in something like the Skyrim engine! Of course none of this was possible with the top-down Infinity camera. But this time the setting is custom made for the game, not an adaptation, so they could in fact adjust it in such a way as to make it go along with the technical aspects of the game.

• Subject 706 says:

“But this time the setting is custom made for the game, not an adaptation, so they could in fact adjust it in such a way as to make it go along with the technical aspects of the game”

How do you suggest they do that without at least ten times their current budget?

• karthink says:

@Subject 706: The way point and click adventures do. Most of the game can be isometric, and we can have a select few screens at a lower angle. Or higher, if we’re peering into some weird construct.

• Michael Fogg says:

You misunderstand me. All the budget they need for that is as much to cover a black felt-tip pen. And cross out all the stuff in storyboards that cannot be accounted for in the gameplay/engine tech. That’s the Skyrim problem of flying vampire lords that can’t actually fly. Don’t put stuff in the game that is just for talk.

• karthink says:

Yeah, with prerendered backgrounds and 3D characters, there’s no reason the view has to always be isometric. I suppose they can show the architecture in a few select scenes/configurations across the game.

• InternetBatman says:

It seems like you’re trying to present your own opinion as fact. There are certain advantages to 3d, but a proper isometric representation can show scale and provide the illusion of depth as well as a 3d one (especially since they’re both being represented on your 2d monitor). Compare these two images:

They’re the same place and same game. Both provide a sense of depth (by the hanging cloth and shadows), one is far more detailed, the other lets players choose the viewpoint for themselves. It seems silly to dismiss the former out of hand though.

• Michael Fogg says:

How do you present twisty streets of a medieval old town in an isometric view? Heck, even a standard dungeon tunnel can be tricky, cause the wall closer to the camera gets in the way. That was a pretty common problem with many of the Inifinity engine environments. In that Neverwinter screenshot there is a pretty big patch of null terrain behind the hut, where there is no way to click. I get the impression that to many people the ‘isometric view’ is a fetish which serves to bring up fond memories of games of the past and they don’t see the obvious downsides.

• Snargelfargen says:

Baldur’s Gate 2′s city environments were a great example of twisty city environments. Looking at the game from a level designer’s perspectiv is pretty fascinating, there’s a good reason why almost all of the city areas are designed to flow in a circle.

Of course the albatross around the Infinity Engine’s neck is the pathfinding, which really only worked in BG1′s open fields.

Regarding fixed isometric vs adjustable views, I have yet to find a game with intuitive camera controls. NWN 1 and 2 as well as Dragon-Age also all had the same problem where the player was forced to zoom out as much as possible in order to fight tactical battles. It’s a problem similiar to some RTS’, where the player ultimately ends up spending more time staring at the mini-map than they do the rest of the screeen.

• Brun says:

I’m not sure BG2 is a good example here – I can recall several instances of large structures being distorted by the isometric perspective, appearing either flattened and lopsided or smaller than you would expect them to be. If I have to ask myself “what is that building supposed to be?” because it is being distorted by the camera perspective then some information is being lost.

• Snargelfargen says:

I think that had more to do with the art style than the viewpoint. There were some goofy asymetrical buildings although that may have been intentional in shabby places like the docks. The illusion of depth worked astonishingly well if you take verticality into account. Creating multiple levels of terrain in proportion can’t be easy when the character sprites don’t scale!

• Michael Fogg says:

In BG1 the Candlekeep starting map is IMO a good example of the iso view not working optimally. Roughly 80% of the map was taken by the huge castle in the middle, which was inaccessible, took up a lot of space behind it and you couldn’t even adimre it except on the map screen, because of the small resolution. That’s an example of what I have in mind when I say that kind of perspective is not that great especially for big buildings.

• Snargelfargen says:

I agree that Candlekeep is terrible, but it’s also the first level of the very first Infinity Engine game. And it had fetch quests. Dear god, the fetch quests. If Athkatla is the pinnacle of that series, Candlekeep is the absolute worst point.

12. 28843253 says:

If I didn’t know better…DURARARArararara

13. strangeloup says:

The music on the trailer is a bit lovely. Very atmospheric.

Visually it looks plenty interesting too, though obviously as it’s only a mockup it’s not much to go on for the final version.

14. notes says:

It does look good. And we’re just coming up on the remind me button emails… we’ll see if there’s enough of a rush to hit strongholds.

15. Colonel J says:

The agreed pronunciation, in my house anyway, is “Manumanumanera”

16. notes says:

Design doc for Torment just went up online. Might be interesting to compare it to the justly legendary PS:T design doc.

17. poohbear says:

i’m afraid i have low hopes for this, cause the expectations are so ridiculously high that the small development team can’t possibly develop a game as intricate and deep as the original PS torment.

Comment on this story