Instadamn: DreadOut Demo

By Adam Smith on April 3rd, 2013 at 5:00 pm.

The Fatal Frame/Project Zero series should certainly be on PC because, ideally, everything that I enjoy would be available as a digital download right here at my desk, including Little Creatures pale ale and a really good bowl of Tom Kha Kai. Taking photographs of terrifying ghosts is a petrifying pastime and the third game, The Tormented, performs some brilliant and noteworthy tricks in psychological and narrative level design that have been sadly overlooked. DreadOut is an Indonesian horror game that closely resembles Fatal Frame, with third person wandering, first person photography and ghosts drawn from local folklore. I spent an hour with the demo this afternoon and found it unpleasant enough to warrant a mention.

The first thing I noticed, after the ‘orrible ghostface on the camera phone, was the contrast in brightness between the third and first person sequences. Third person is like walking through the world while surrounded by a bubble of tar while first person is actually navigable. I also noticed that the voice acting and translations are a little tension-sapping but that wasn’t going to stop me from hunting a few ghosts.

A couple of minutes in, I’d dispatched one spook and taken quite a few pictures of plants and walls, just in case they happened to be haunted as well. Haunted things vanish when somebody captures them on film, you see, and the photographer probably receives some points and an experience boost as well. That’s why so many people take photographs of their burger, steak or coq au vin before they tuck in – animal ghosts count as well.

I’d like to play more, horror-starved as I am, but the Indiegogo campaign that the developers have set up is of the flexible funding variety, which means they receive the cash that has been pledged even if they don’t hit their target. Given the work already done, it does seem likely that the game will be finished, even if it happens to be later rather than sooner, but it’s a risky proposition, particularly given the significant $25,000 target.

, , , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. RyuRanX says:

The demo was quite good. I hope they succeed with Greenlight and IndieGoGo campaigns.

RedViv says:

Oh please no not Project Zero please no not that the sounds make them go away please

• Kaira- says:

My eyes… my eyes!

• Soldancer says:

Glad to know I’m not the only one who loves/is terrified by those games. I still like the first one best, if for nothing other than being the first one I played and thus unique at the time.

For sheer chills, though, it’s Broken Neck all the way…

“It hurts…IT HURTS!!”

brrrrr…

maninahat says:

The trailer doesn’t look all that compelling. I heard the Indonesians have some awesome ghost and monsters – like one that consists of a floating woman’s head with a bunch of organs hanging from it like a shower curtain. I’d rather see that then another Scream mask/Ring ghost.

• Grey Ganado says:

I was under the impression that this kind of disembodied head was Japanese.

• grinnock says:

It’s from SE Asia in general. The Pennanggalan is the one everyone thinks of with the ropey intestines flying along, it’s from Malaysia.

• UmmonTL says:

I can’t see what’s scary about a ghost girl you can clearly see all the time. Doing the sudden ghostface/music sting is certainly not. Seeing the girl running after the ghost after the first “scare” seems kind of silly.

• Bhazor says:

This

My excitement for a truly old school survival horror game vanished as soon as they did the “stretched black and white ghost face”. That shit has become so generic I’d actually be more afraid of ghosts that were just bed sheets with eye holes.

• Soldancer says:

Part of me agrees with you, but part of me has also had the ever-loving piss scared out of me by some of the same old same old horror staples if it’s done right. So while I appreciate originality, I’m apparently a bit less susceptible to “terror decay” so it doesn’t bother me all that much. I mean it DOES bother me, but like in a good way.

Ok, I’ve confused myself. Moving on…

Regarding your later comment about the badge/outfit:

If her character design is in any way informed by the design of the Project Zero games, then I’d say it’s a pretty intentional choice. Those characters were not always at the height of sensible attire, and ESPECIALLY once you throw in the ridiculous alternate kimono/cute glasses/swimsuit/naughty maid costumes.

::Sigh::

• Scrooge McDuck says:

It’s actually a standard Indonesian public high school uniform, badge and all.

• Voon says:

Penanggal’s from Malaysia, dude.

But you should take a look at some from Thailand. Now THAT’S how you do some real fucked up ghosts and mosters

• Scrooge McDuck says:

Woman head-slash-organ actually describes Indonesia’s Leyak, too.

4. Muzman says:

Little Creatures Pale Ale? Hah, that’s made like 2km from me right now.
    For a nominal fee I shall attempt to force a bottle or two down the phone line.

• Trithne says:

I think that every Perthite that reads this is only really going to notice the mention of Little Creatures. Was there something about a game in this post?

• Muzman says:

You trying to say we’re morbidly self absorbed, craving the attention and appreciation (or just plain knowledge of our existence) of people far away or something?

felisc says:

a Perthite ? That sounds like a small creature leaving in the woods, stealing your breakfast every morning. Or some kind of aspirin.

• drinniol says:

My mind = blown when Halo 3 dropped in Swanbourne.

5. dE says:

When it comes to dealing with the supernatural, I wouldn’t mind a Mushi-Shi game. That would actually make for a great adventure game. Serene atmosphere, figuring out small details and piecing together symptoms til you find out what’s happenening – and then try to find a way to save both – patients and supernatural. Match made in heaven.

6. johnki says:

Is the demo Mac compatible? Noticed it mentioned in the trailer but there’s only one version of the demo.

7. GameCat says:

“The file you have selected (DreadOut-Demo.exe) is not available via any mirrors. Please check back shortly as our servers update every 5 minutes.”

Grrrr.

This is more terrible than twisted faces of scary ghosts.

• Bhazor says:

Limited downloads.
      Now there’s terror.

• The Random One says:

Ah, IndieDB, my old nemesis. It’s been two weeks I haven’t been able to download the Underrail demo yet.

8. Kein says:

Project Zero games (1-2-3) were amazing, golden era of PS2, too bad only that platform saw them. Rare games in horror genre that can be enjoyed as well today. If you have good CPU you can play it on PCSX2 (with some minor glitches that is not critical).

9. staberas says:

The true Horror comes when u have to add an instagram filter to the ghost picture you already took…

10. Bhazor says:

So is that thing on her tit a school logo or a police badge? Because either way she looks more like a stripper dressed as a school girl or police officer.

• The Random One says:

Now I want to play a game that’s like Costume Quest but with strippers that dress up in sexy outfits to gain their powers.

• Soldancer says:

I think that game is called Final Fantasy X-2.

Also – that would be one of the most divisive (and sadly, probably profitable) games ever. :/

• Bhazor says:

Ironically Final Fantasy X-2 is probably my favourite FF game since FF6. FF X-2 was a big bright unashamedly dumb musical dress ‘em up open world exta-rava-ganz-aaahhh. Yes it was filled with creepy fan service and the writing was… well it was a Squeenix JRPG… a genre that makes MLP seem like a stirringly realistic treatise on the power of Friendship. But ironically for a game with an all female cast it had real balls, big hairy swinging slabs of pork in a genre that was getting increasingly angsty and grim dark in an attempt to be deep.

Also you could dress Rikku up as a Moogle. And that is my fetish.

• ritsuz0 says:

that’s kind of Student Council’s logo if I was not mistaken… every public schools’ uniform has it… the private ones will use their school’s logo instead of it
      try to google “indonesian high school uniform” and see.

about the reason why that logo… I don’t really know much about it.

• Nim says:

That’s just you seeing what you want to see.

11. ass wasp says:

That screenshot reminds me of the good ol’ japanese horror games that seem to have disappeared, color me interested. Also i’m always interested in games from countries not typically associated with game development.

12. ZIGS says:

An attractive female as the lead character? It’ll never catch on

13. ZIGS says:

Ok so I gave this a try, saw what was basically 2 screamers and quit. If this is the kind of “horror” they’re shooting for (pun intended), then I’m out. I guess Penumbra/Amnesia spoiled me with true horror

14. Crosmando says:

Well, the school girl in that screenshot sure is cute. I’ll give this a try.

15. Geen says:

Dammit, whatever happened to horror that wasn’t just some teleporty walky person with a fucked-up face? Slender was scary maybe the first time, but then I realized you just look at your feet and are invincible. For some reason, everyone feels a need to copy it now. They should take a cue from Amnesia or CoC: Dark Corners Of The Earth with unique stuff that’s actually scary.

16. The Random One says:

Wow. I first read this yesterday at work, read it again at home to watch the trailer, and only now, scrolling past the RSS feed, got the Instadamn pun.