Hail To The Thief: Monaco Coming Later This Month

By Nathan Grayson on April 4th, 2013 at 9:00 am.

Being a good thief requires patience. Co-op heist darling Monaco, for instance, has been on the radar for ages (we first posted about it back before thievery was even invented, in the primordial mists of 2010), so it’s methodically slipped in and out of hiding to avoid detection and subsequent ejection. Or, you know, it’s a hyper-ambitious independent videogame, and hammering its many moving parts into working order was akin to coordinating a hitch-free heist of the world’s foremost exceedingly loud clown shoe, whoopee cushion, and  landmine museum. Regardless, its release is now finally, mercifully right around the corner.

Creator Andy Schatz – in maybe a first for this sort of thing – eschewed words, a trailer, or a traditional feast on freshly slaughtered goat in favor of a handy, dandy announcement GIF.

Monaco, says the almighty moving square, will be available to all on April 24th. It’ll run you $14.99 on Steam, or you can pre-order it on its official site for the same price and receive a DRM-free version, a Steam key, and a few extra goodies. Or you can not buy the game at all, but that seems kind of silly given all the painstaking, white-knuckle work you’ve gone through to read this post.

Also, it’s kind of a great, super intriguing game and stuff. That’s another reason you might want to give its brand of class-based, disco-colored looting a try. Oh, and while you wait, you can steal a glance at the most precious crown jewel of all – knowledge – via Jim’s colossal interview with Schatz. So yes, go on then.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Visualante says:

As far as I know the bundled DRM free version is simply the Monte Carlo IGF prototype. The final Monaco game I suspect will be Steam only.

Good month for indie games. Picking up three or so.

• colossalstrikepackage says:

Now you’ve got me curious. Which other ones are you getting?

• Vesuvius says:

Visualante is right- the DRM free is the IGF propotype. Please update the article so people don’t get confused (or even better, convince them to release a DRM free version of the game to be more in keeping with your article- either works for me).

• zeroskill says:

Have been following this for years, and it looks still great. Looking forward to finally pick it up.

• Squirrelly says:

I got a steam key when I ordered the DRM free version, as well as a download for the IGF version. I’m almost %100 that you get the full version (when it’s released) by buying direct. It’s actually in my steam library as a preorder, and I have the IGF version on the desktop.

2. CMaster says:

I’ll believe it when I actually see it.

Also, Demo?

• Llewyn says:

I think Andy’s said previously (possibly in comments on this site) that he’s not in a position to release a PC demo at least before the game’s launch. There will be a demo of the Xbox version but I have no idea whether that’s releasing any time soon – even if it’s done there’s the labyrinthine MS certification process to navigate.

• AndySchatz says:

Nope, no pc demo for now (only xbox).

3. RaveTurned says:

“What’s yours is mine”… I’m sure I’ve seen that tagline used in a triple-A trailer recently. Can Andy Schatz afford to sue Square Enix for taking it?

Also, the irony of this occurring for two games about stealing things is delicious. :)

• Renzatic says:

DEV FIGHT! GO GO GO! >:(

And T4′s tagline is similar enough to T3′s “what’s yours can be mine” that they could probably get away with it.

• Koojav says:

He clarified that on his Twitter. Everything is just fine, Thief guys played it cool and won’t be EAing him for that tagline.

• colossalstrikepackage says:

Déjà Vu averted! Thanks for reminding me of Thief or it would have bugged me all day.

• Bostec says:

Personally I liked his other tagline: “Get in, Get out, Get Rich” or I used to like it, I believe the ex wife of mine whispered that to someone before we got married. Oh well.

• AndySchatz says:

It’s pretty hilarious but all I can do is sigh and smile. It could have been a mess, but it’s not. While I can’t speak for Eidos, I think it’s fair to say that we are both pretty awesome for being chill about the whole thing :D

4. kulik says:

Pigs fly, apparently. Now, where is Spy Party?

5. airtekh says:

Yay! I preordered this a while ago and have been enjoying the prototype ‘demo’ thingy that came with it.

Looking forward to some co-op shenanigans in the full version.

6. sidhellfire says:

When I bought it way back I really hoped it would be kind of different game. More about being smart, stealing things protected by technology and manpower. You would need to cooperate with friend online to maximize your profit. You could also get in totally by different approach later on. Entering boldly into the building waving your shotgun to scare the shit out of customers and security, and force them to open the safe, hand out their watches and pearl necklaces and so on, then storm out, get into the escape vehicle, loose cops and dig monies under the favourite tree. That’s what I recall heist being.
    Monaco ended up being an arcade collecting coins (spilled all over area) game with a lot of running and utilizing quick reflex. I’ll still surely like it, thanks to my friends, but I feel kind deceived.

• Wonkyth says:

Uh, what?
      Not sure what you’re going on about, but I can assure you that as a Beta tester for Monaco, it is ABSOLUTLEY “about being smart, stealing things protected by technology and manpower. You would need to cooperate with friend online to maximize your profit. You could also get in totally by different approach later on.”

7. Lucas Says says:

I am excited enough about this game to eat a horse. I’ve replayed the Monte Carlo prototype more than I care to admit. I have some qualms about the direction it’s gone in (I’m not sure how I feel about shotguns) but yeah, super stoked.

8. Machinations says:

I’ve been waiting for Monaco so long I forgot it existed. I actually found this game in develoment before I found RPS, so 2010?

Very excited as it looks excellent.

9. heretic says:

haven’t really followed this, article says co-op, is this co-op only? any singleplayer?

• Wonkyth says:

Plenty of singleplayer, don’t worry. Of course, it plays very differently when you’re on your own, as you cant do coordinated two-pronged manoeuvres as much, but it is most definitely fantastic singleplayer. :)
      Oh, it’s also hellish harder solo, so good for a challenge. ;)

(I’m a beta tester, so hopefully you can trust me! ^_^ )

Comment on this story