Stalk Them: Survarium After Alpha Testers

By John Walker on April 4th, 2013 at 4:00 pm.

Rising like a hideously mutated phoenix from the ashes of STALKER 2 is Survarium. Although, as is well established in Jim’s interview with the team from earlier this year, the F2P MMO is deliberately a very different game. And now it’s a game for whose alpha you can register.

Described as a “session-bases shooter”, the post-apocalyptic online game is looking for candidates for its alpha testing. And they’re pretty strict about it too. You’ll not only need to fill in the usual contact details, but they’re after your DXDiag info, and three reasons why you should be chosen above all others. They suggest that only a “lucky few” will get through, presumably before wider beta testing later in the year.

Here’s the latest developer diary, to give you a better idea of the game’s setting:

, , , , .

1. ResonanceCascade says:

I know there has been a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth about this being an “MMO”…but I’m still excited. If they do it correctly, there is a lot of fun to be had in a Stalker-style online game. Fingers crossed.

• KristaMitchell says:

my friend’s mother makes $88 an hour on the laptop. She has been without work for 9 months but last month her income was $14546 just working on the laptop for a few hours. Here’s the site to read more http://www.Buzz54.com/money

2. Loyal_Viggo says:

In post-apocalyptic Soviet Russia, Survarium Alpha Tests You!

3. Raymond Saint says:

More co-op, less MMO plox

• Delusibeta says:

Yeah, I agree. Stalker strikes me as a series that didn’t need to go full MMO.

• Morovski says:

Never go full MMO…

• analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

Only ever played LOTRO as a soloist, didn’t like it one bit. I am however willing to give this a shot. You never know I may be surprised!

Stalker being IMO the best game ever is a good starting point!

• TheDON3k says:

The STALKER series was truly great. I have replayed each of the three releases multiple times, and the ‘complete’ mod series turned an excellent set of games into an amazing game experience. STALKER was one of those games that was punishingly hard, but you felt so rewarded by it.

4. Bhazor says:

And again I need to point out there already is a Stalker MMO.
    And it is terrible

• Blackop2 says:

I have been playing sZone online for about 5 days now. It is frustratingly hard but its almost identical to what stalker would be like if it was an mmo.

Pretty fun.

You were probably confused the whole time.

5. Scumbag says:

Insert comment on how you will not play this.
    Insert comment on F2P.

6. Blackcompany says:

This could well suffer from the “Defiance Syndrome.” (This is a new term I have coined for referring to some MMO games.)

Defiance Syndrome is a direct result of taking a quality game experience – in this case, Defiance – and placing it into an MMO framework. While I wish it were an FPS, as opposed to a TPS, Defiance is a solid game. The shooting, while hardly revolutionary, is good. Plenty of classes, tons of loot. Weapon modifications from the mundane to the crazy. A large world. Lots going on. All in all a good game. And most surprisingly of all, a decent story. NOT a GREAT story, mind – but it moves things along and keeps me sort of curious.

That said, its the worst MMO I have ever tried. There exists no need to group. Nor any benefit to doing so. In 10 hours I have seen not a single story event that requires additional help. Sure, some dynamic events can scale to lots of people, but then, Torchlight 2 and Borderlands can do that, too, without the online bit.

And it looks like this game is headed down the same path. Like Defiance, its reaching a point where games are made as MMO’s more for the sake of requiring always online to play, than for benefiting from their being multiplayer games.

TL;DR: If you are going to make an MMO in this crowded market, put the emphasis on the multiplayer. Stop shoe-horning single player experiences into the MMO format.

• Lagwolf says:

While I think you are being way to kind to Defiance, I agree with your over-all hypothesis.

• Blackcompany says:

Fairly said. Even I am well aware of the ‘newness’ factor where Defiance is concerned. I bought it on a whim the other day and the closest parallel I can come up with is “Fallout meets Borderlands, played in third person.”

Though its fun, I have to admit Defiance is perhaps one of the most soulless games I have ever played. The story, while it is keeping me curious, is lackluster. And watching your silent protagonist stand there and nod in third person DESTROYS immersion. However, the game play itself is fun enough to keep me playing for quite some time. I will tire of it, for certain, and likely this year, but I will get my money’s worth.

Will I still be playing this MMO next year? Chances are slim to none.

7. SkittleDiddler says:

I applied for a testing position because I am bored and I haven’t delved into an MMO since Lord of the Rings Online several years ago. So there.

• analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

Snap fella! Mind I delved back out pretty quick!

8. Lorka says:

What the hell is this Stalker Online thing?

9. herschel says:

Session-based shooter? Well, it obviously is NOT Stalker2. *lets all hope go*

From all those diaries I get the impression that the devs tend to shove a lot of lore in your face to shroud the lack of gameplay… well… time will show.

10. Machinations says:

F2P MMO just screams failure to me now, it could just be because of how many substandard games use the model. I am perhaps cynical, planetside 2 is fun.

• Flavors says:

firefall is actually pretty engaging imo. it’s a bit thin in terms of content right now, but it’s hardly grindy, and it’s a cohesive whole. it’s easy enough to track down invite codes, and it’s worth at least a bit of your time i would say.

11. kud13 says:

I hope they succeed. And get enough money to make a proper single-player game that I will buy.

I have really major doubts about this. Their key market are CIS-countries. And they are REALLY shooting themselves in the foot in that market by making it an online game. They eliminate a lot of the GSC fans, who won’t buy it because of always online.

otoh, a similar, CIS-targetted project (World of Tanks) is thriving, so who knows?

Like I said, I wish them good luck. I hope they pull this off, because I’d love to see Vostok put Ukraine back on the map wrt to game-design, taking up GSC’s place. here’s hoping.