Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon Is Totally Bonkers, An Actual Thing

By Nathan Grayson on April 5th, 2013 at 10:00 am.

On April 1st, a peculiar thing happened: a game company debuted a seemingly implausible spin-off that wasn’t a gigantic, painfully obvious hoax. Now, notice I said “hoax,” not “joke.” Reason being, Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon still seems incredibly, absurdly silly. The advantage it has over its smoke-and-mirrors peers, however, is that it’s actually, you know, real. What began with a schlocky (though impressively elaborate) ’80s-style B-movie adver-site now has a series of neon-soaked screenshots, and – in a fun twist – they look almost nothing like Far Cry 3. If the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, well, I guess by that metric Far Cry’s dev team has some pretty darn sterling mental health. All other indicators, however, would seem to suggest otherwise. In a very, very good way.

The “official” website (which is quite the entertaining entity in and of itself) describes Blood Dragon as follows:

“The year is 2007. It is the future. Earth has been ravaged by a nuclear war and new paths for peace must be found. A U.S. cyborg army may have found a solution: a powerful bioweapon on a distant island. A Mark IV Cyber Commando, Sergeant Rex Power Colt has been sent over to gather information and figure out what the hell is going on.”

Sergeant. Rex. Power. Colt. That’s so dumb it’s actually the most brilliant thing I’ve heard all day.

For now, however, Ubisoft’s being extremely cagey about how this will all unfold in the context of , you know, a game. Obviously, guns, shooting, and an island are still locks, but what about openness, punchable sharks, and horrifying war birds? These are the great questions of our time.

Regardless, this looks to be an, er, interesting swerve off the beaten path and off a cliff that’s also a computer that downloaded all of space. Hopefully it’ll be more than just a goofy gimmick, but even if not, I suppose it can’t be any more egregiously ridiculous than Far Cry 3’s actual plot.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Hahaha says:

Don’t know why but getting NOLF from these screens

• sabrage says:

I’m getting Saints Row 3 myself.

• tobecooper says:

Look at the guns! It’s Unreal/Unreal Tournament!

• LionsPhil says:

Whichever of you is right, we win.

…is it wrong that I kind of want this to be a full-blown Far Cry 4?

• Spoon Of Doom says:

Wrong? That is the only possible response to this! Personally, I’d like this to be not only FC4, but FarCry 4 through 11, at the very least.

• shehzadjaa says:

before I saw the paycheck that said $7571, I be certain …that…my neighbour could trully making money part time from there labtop.. there neighbour haz done this for less than 20 months and just took care of the morgage on their villa and bought a top of the range Lotus Elise. go to,,, http://wow81.com/

beekay says:

When I got down to the rocket I could only think “TF2.”

• amorpheous says:

Bulletstorm.

• zeroskill says:

You wish.

• Davie says:

It’s very much the same aesthetic as SR3’s sci-fi bits. GANGSTAS IN SPAAAACE

• frightlever says:

NOLF, totally! It’s the evil genius from James Bond vibe.

• Low Life says:

Now you made me want another NOLF game. :(

• G_Man_007 says:

That bit with the space rocket I’m thinking. Man, I should get NOLF 1 + 2 out for a spin…

2. Sander Bos says:

The article appears to be missing a link to the actual site, so here it is: link.

3. John Connor says:

THE COLORS OH MY GOD

4. orange says:

Everything about this screams “FUN”. The setting, the colours, the weapons…everything. It reminds me of when games actually had original content. Now they all seem the same.

• BTAxis says:

Especially Call of Duty. That game is the same much more so than any other game.

• zul says:

Far Cry 3 seemed so ‘meh’ to me. In fact most games that take themselves so seriously always end up being so boring. But this! I want to play this!

5. SanguineAngel says:

Yes, I will take it. In all seriousness this looks brilliantly fun. I am very surprised at the source but pleasantly so.

I just hope that they go no holds barred on this and do not reign in the silliness/awesomeness

And oh my god, are those genuinely interesting environments? In a GAME? My god, the fools!

Also their website is beautiful.

• KwisatzHaderach says:

Tbh, to me the environments seem like nothing out of the ordinary. Just ALOT of purple and neon blue. And fun.

• SanguineAngel says:

I dunno, some sort of many tentacled machine room, banks of 70’s style computer consoles, bright neon colours and neon gases or something? and what look like some intriguingly comic book architectural features.

• Maritz says:

They also make me want to go play Hotline Miami again.

• MistaJah says:

They are by Powerglove https://soundcloud.com/powerglove. Out of the three, Power Core is by far best.

• Shadowcat says:

It’s so bad.

• JackShandy says:

I assume you’re using that in the 90’s sense of “Totally Awesome”.

• Lenderz says:

I assume you’re saying “awesome” in the 00’s-10’s over used hyperbolic sense meaning “slightly above average”. Not worthy of inspiring real genuine awe.

• HothMonster says:

I’m pretty sure the word you are all looking for is “rad”

• Scrawnto says:

It’s a reference to The Wizard, specifically the line, “I love the Power Glove. It’s so bad.” Fitting, no?

• The First Door says:

I’m loving the (very) Tron inspired music too. Although, my favourite is definitely Sloan’s Assault!

• Low Life says:

I’ll back you on that, though they’re all quite great.

Warzone is very Terminator 2.

Drayk says:

Yeah, I have the same vibe for this title… I love T2 music soundtrack… I should put it on the ipod…

• Josh W says:

Hmm, chip tunes plus power metal, brewed long enough, produces excellent french house! Or are they a different band to the other power glove I heard of ages ago?

Anyway, must plug danger!

• kwyjibo says:

Really been feeling 80s music of late. Not the shit electro mid-aughties ironic stuff, but the FUCK YOU, WE’RE GOING TO WIN THE COLD WAR in your face stuff.

• MentatYP says:

The music is bloody genius.

6. Ephaelon says:

Makes me think of Far Cry 1, when the aliens showed up. Or was that supersoldiers? I’ve forgotten. Colors!

• roryok says:

neither, it was mutants! well I guess some of them were sort of super-soldiers.

• LennyLeonardo says:

Heh, yeah,definitely a throwback to Far Cry 1, what with that game’s plot being like a shit late 80s/early 90s action movie. This looks great!

7. Kuroko says:

ME WANTS ME WANTS ME WANTS ME WANTS ME WANTS ME WANTS ME WANTS ME WANTS ME WANTS ME WANTS ME WANTS ME WANTS ME WANTS ME WANTS ME WANTS ME WANTS ME WANTS ME WANTS ME WANTS ME WANTS ME WANTS ME WANTS ME WANTS ME WANTS ME WANTS ME WANTS ME WANTS ME WANTS ME WANTS ME WANTS ME WANTS ME WANTS ME WANTS ME WANTS ME WANTS ME WANTS ME WANTS ME WANTS ME WANTS ME WANTS ME WANTS ME WANTS ME WANTS

• PopeRatzo says:

Me too. I want this so bad, but I don’t want to wait until December 2013. I need this next week at the latest.

8. riggsrector says:

This is DLC I would buy. With maybe 1 or 2 exceptions, I haven’t bought much lately. No season passes, etc. when I know it’s just gonna be more of the same. Throw me a curveball like this, and I’ll definitely bite.

9. philbot says:

Oh. My. Gosh. The website is the greatest thing I have ever seen. Why don’t websites still do this? I am going to buy the crap out of this DLC

• elgonzo says:

Yes! Wait… hmm… it doesn’t look right. I think i need to use Netscape Navigator…

• ZephyrSB says:

I couldn’t figure out if I was looking at a website or a re-run of the MASK intro. Either way, it’s getting my moneies.

10. bstard says:

Ubisoft is doing a good job washing away their sins from the past. I’m also willing to look the other way when their Uplay thinggy passes by.

RedViv says:

Yes please.
    This time, burning down robotic plants in the night. Wearing sunglasses. With Corey Hart in the background. Please?

phuzz says:

To whoever put the drugs into Ubisoft’s water supply, well done sir/madam!

(and I know it’s a bit late, but can I nominate FC3 for ‘best use of poker in a game 2012’?)

13. Junkenstein says:

It looks like a cross between Far Cry 1 and the Crysis games, filtered through an 80’s vision of the future. Amazing, in other words.

14. Lenderz says:

Who the hell are these people making this and what have they done with Ubisoft?

Bloody hell this looks amazing, and a throwback to what games were/could be. Fun, silly, ridiculous, larger than life. Just looking at the screenshots was like a breath of fresh air from all the “Modern” “Hyper-Real” “AMERICA FLIP YEAH” rubbish that we’ve been constantly digesting recently.

I’m not sure I trust whoever it is thats masquerading as Ubisoft at the moment, who are they, where are they from and what do they want with us, providing us with a product that actually looks like this, but tentatively I have to say “TAKE MY MONEY”.

Snidesworth says:

I can’t help but think that this must be some sort of mistimed April Fool’s joke. Either that or Ubi noted how much of a rubbishing the game’s plot received and decided to try something different. I’m hoping it’s the latter.

• Lenderz says:

I realise I may be in a minority, but I actually rather enjoyed the game plot, I found it took several ironic sideswipes at the recent “videogame dudebro MANSHOOT war modern” games and game conventions and didn’t take itself too seriously. It was completely and utterly silly in my opinion.

Perhaps thats just my interpretation of the content and perhaps I missed it being all po faced and serious or misread something I know some people seem to have taken it all a lot more seriously than I did.

Thinking about it, perhaps this is Ubi (or their good twin brother) realising that people took it seriously when they shouldn’t have done and turning the silly dial to 11 to make it a little clearer.

Vandelay says:

I’m currently playing FC3 and I’m approaching what I believe must be the end. I’m definitely getting the vibe of it taking digs at the power fantasy FPS games normally offer us, but I don’t know whether it will actually do anything with it yet. I’m saving my judgement until I reach the end, but I will always give respect to a game that at least tries to add a little bit of nuance to their tale, even if it fails.

More troubling is the white man saviour side of the plot, rather than holiday maker turned Rambo. Again, waiting until I reach the end, but that has irked me.

This DLC/expansion looks like all kinds of win though.

• Lenderz says:

Again that “white man savior” thing was in my opinion a ironic swipe a game/media trope. I won’t ruin the ending for you, but I found it satisfactory.

• Turkey says:

Maybe it’s the same writer furthering on the same theme of male infantilization or whatever Farcry 3 was about.

15. Rao Dao Zao says:

I was going to wait until GOTYE that included all DLC, but I reckon I’d totes buy FC3 right now just for this.

• MistaJah says:

This will likely be a standalone arcade title as in XBLA and PSN… No need to buy FC3 for this.

16. Muzman says:

Now if they’d just made the real game like this…
    (…no one would have bought it like Bulletstorm)

• The First Door says:

Sigh… that game was so pretty… and surprisingly funny in places.

• Superfasty says:

The only game I’ve got from being a PS+ member that I’ve played to completion. I was so surprised by how engaging the story and characters were… and just how fun it was in general. The demo left a bad taste in my mouth at the time so I never gave it a chance.

17. virtualmatrix258 says:

Was messing around on the site and came across this: https://static2.cdn.ubi.com/emea/gamesites/fcbd/static/images/fc3bd.jpg

Achievements.

• Zealuu says:

If those are real, then I am calling it right now:

The “Biological Weapon” you’re looking for is in fact dragons. BLOOD DRAGONS.

And because you are Sergeant Rex Power Colt, you will kill them. All of them, because as they say on the website, “Elite army dudes are Elite”.

18. Amakir says:

This looks like it could be lots of fun but why call it Far Cry 3

• MikoSquiz says:

This, and also a foundation of Far Cry seems like an iffy fit to build on. Surely there should be wall-jumping and low-gravity bits and people getting flung around wildly by small arms fire and so forth.

• Lenderz says:

Because its DLC and not a full blown product, I’m assuming the Far Cry team started working on this pre-release when their duty was finished on the main product and they were free to start working on DLC on the product whilst it was going through QA and Cert process for the GameBoxes (up to 3 months).

Its much easier for a publisher to swallow dev time on DLC rather than a completely new IP (developing a new IP is always a roll of the dice if its not a success its a large money sink that didn’t find an audience and provide :profit:), and it means those devs aren’t laid off as soon as their work is complete. If you think about it its a sensible business plan. There has to be a ROI on employee time, once artists and level designers have completed their part of a title rather than having them sit twiddling their thumbs for months and months and months whilst QA/Marketing/Cert takes up time its a good idea to have them working on DLC for the main product in the time they have. The other alternative would be to lay them off or have them immediately transferred to another project, assuming you’ve got one to the point of being made.

However if this DLC does well it might show the publisher that this kind of thing is popular and a full blown title like this might sell and justify them having a punt.

I realise that a large amount of gamers hate some aspects of paid for DLC, or don’t understand that a game project doesn’t involve people working on the whole project, but having responsibility for different parts of the game development process (you don’t have writers, artists or sound designers doing QA for example) but if you look at it from a business perspective it does make sense especially with the huge teams and costs that development of AAA titles take. If you have resource sat about twiddling their thumbs that is dead money that is not earning you a return, you’d be better off them working on the next thing and when you’ve got the engine and tools in place DLC is a low cost way of keeping a return coming from those people.

:serious business face:

Also look at the high profile Publishers/Devs struggling recently, with Sqeenix not making decent enough returns on their projects and THQ going pop and EA appearing to have cashflow issues (although EA is the worst at moneygrubbing and making gaming all about BUSINESS rather than ART, I don’t want you to think I’m excusing all practices as “well money”).

And I just think, its better for the gaming industry as a whole if those talented people working at the developers they do are in gainful employment and hopefully bringing us happyfuntimes.

In the dark mists of time there was “Expansion Packs” and “Retail” who sometimes did things like this as standalone “Expansions” rather than needing the full product. In the future world of 2013 we have “DLC” and “Stand Alone DLC”…. All of this has happened before, and will happen again.

funkstar says:

noticed the end of the trailer says ‘powered by cryengine’

is that some far cry lineage (was dunia based on cryengine?) did far cry 3 also have this message?

• aldo_14 says:

Apparently Dunia (and presumably it’s successor version) was based on CryEngine to some degree (no idea how much; I remember the first Call of Duty was technically a Quake 3 engine game, but all they actually used in the end was the filesystem or something).

DarkLiberator says:

This looks amazing. Though isn’t it a timed exclusive for Xbox?

MajorManiac says:

WANT

22. Tiax says:

Holy potato, they’re selling an anti-atomic mexican hat on their webshop !

It’s about time.

23. scottirvine says:

up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, b, a

24. Zepp says:

I knew that cyber commandos and bionuclear weapons will rule in 2007! It will be amazing!

25. kwyjibo says:

Loving how the trailer is limited to 360p, old school resolutions are best.

26. Rian Snuff says:

This seems amazing, I’m rather shocked to see such a unique looking title coming from such a developer. Those colours are rather refreshing. I’m optimistic!

27. Kraskiez says:

Omg so hipster, can’t breath.

28. Saxocat says:

Noticing the konami code in the background image, I gave it a shot. You can delete bits from the webpage with a crosshair! Also if you delete enough (at least this seemed to be the trigger), this image pops up: http://static2.cdn.ubi.com/emea/gamesites/fcbd/static/images/screen.gif

29. Shooop says:

I have no idea what’s going on. But I like it anyway.

strangeloup says:

From what I’ve heard, this isn’t DLC but rather a standalone side-game. Which is good, because it looks fucking ace, but I really can’t be bothered reinstalling FC3.

I wanted to like it, but it had the same issues as AssCree3 for me: a million popups constantly, and the map covered in clusters of optional side objectives, because heaven forbid you get bored because you have less than fifty things to do at any one time. Just gave me a headache.

Edit: Also, Sergeant Rex Power Colt is the best name in the history of gaming forever.

31. Hmm-Hmm. says:

This actually looks pretty great. I mean, awful. Um. Or was that AMAZING?!

32. Enkinan says:

“On April 1st, a peculiar thing happened: a game company debuted a seemingly implausible spin-off that wasn’t a gigantic, painfully obvious hoax.”

Guildwars 2 added Super Adventure Box, does that count?

33. fallingmagpie says:

Omigod, have you seen the shop? http://fc3blooddragon.uk.ubi.com/shop.php

Official washing machine! Banana carrier! Give me Love Chainsaw!

34. CantankerousDave says:

Rex Power Colt doesn’t drive often, but when he does, he only drives the Hammerhead Eagle i-Thrust.

Good lord, this game does seem like an idea that Jeremy Clarkson came up with and was actually implemented by competent people…

35. LennyLeonardo says:

Roberto Kinky!

36. baozi says:

woah, really intense colors for an fps.

37. MeestaNob says:

They really seem to be embracing the concept that none of the Far Cry games having anything to do with each other. Why isn’t this Far Cry 4 though? The ‘3’ would imply it has SOMETHING to do with it.

38. The Random One says:

I smell an ARG coming. I hope there’s an actual game of this description afterwards.

39. Universal Quitter says:

Fuck you, Ubisoft. How dare you tempt me with your siren song of Rex Power Colt and US Cyborg Army. I’m happy not believing that anyone working there is an actual human being, thank you.

EDIT: I do love the Terminator-style music. Or Aphex twin sounding music, if anyone insists on being a music snob and a douchebag.

40. Grape Flavor says:

All my life, since I was a little boy, I have dreamed of becoming a Mark IV Cyber Commando in the US Cyborg Army. And now Ubisoft, of all people, have decided to fulfill my fantasy. Well done Ubisoft, well done.