Murder On The Murder Floor: Survivor Squad

By Adam Smith on April 5th, 2013 at 3:00 pm.

In the history of blisteringly bloody and violent top-down games, Cannon Fodder’s twitching wounded and almost everything in Hotline Miami will receive dedicated chapters, but Survivor Squad’s trailer sees the game vying for more than a footnote. The randomly generated levels are soon splattered with the red stuff, wall to wall, as the player seeks survivors, rescuing them and building a team of up to four to scavenge, shoot and survive. The pace is fast but caution is necessary, as characters left alone, with no line of sight to their companions, are likely to be swarmed and devoured. Being devoured is the opposite of surviving. Trailer below.

Survivor Squad is out next month.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. godofdefeat says:

Ok, so to sum it up this is basically:
    Hotline Miami gameplay (without instant death) +
    FTL map (kinda) +
    Zombies.

Geeeeee, some originality could be great.

Henke says:

Or: Door Kickers – pause-time + zombies.

Still, I don’t _hate_ the look of this, could be alright.

• shehzadjaa says:

Keira. true that Dorothy`s posting is inconceivable… yesterday I got a top of the range Lotus Elise from having earned $6052 this – 4 weeks past and a little over 10 grand lass month. with-out any doubt it’s the nicest-job I have ever done. I started this three months/ago and pretty much straight away started to make at least $71… per-hr. I follow the details here,,, http://wow81.com/

DrollRemark says:

Ahh, Door Kickers, that’s the game I was just about to ask about. Cheers.

• Jekhar says:

Looks okay. It’s the campaign that could set this apart from other entries in the genre, if done well. Most similar games just feature ever increasing odds, in the old arcade sense, which gets old fast. I want some purpose and progress in my gaming. I have enough games already to satisfy my “get a new highscore” itch.

• Jeremy says:

Well, the FTL map was hardly a ground breaking concept, it’s been around. That being said, Smash TV + Starfox Map + Zombies sounds like a pretty interesting game to me.

• FF56 says:

Howdy, I’m the Developer behind Survivor Squad.
      Just want to say, the game is not a top down shooter. It is a Strategy Action game where you control up to 4 survivors sort of in the same way as in Commandos. You have a squad, control each of them individually and they fire when they see something.

Several people have said the same thing so I’m not sure if I should take that as a compliment because it means it’s different from what they expect or if I should take it as a sign that the trailer is perhaps not as descriptive as I thought it was.

Also the game is currently available on Greenlight if someone wishes to vote on it.

Cheers

• Jekhar says:

That sounds even better. Tactical, even. ;-) I must admit, upon seeing the trailer i thought this would just be another dual-stick top-down shooter.

• godofdefeat says:

Pardon me :8

• Qwentle says:

It’s a little ambiguous at the start, so anyone who switches it off when they see that probably won’t get the gist. but during the last half it’s very clear. Looks rather awesome, can’t wait to play it.

• aksyn says:

I would love to see this as a multiplayer game. How about even multiplayer on one PC? Plug 4 mice in and each person controls one squad member? :-D

• Phasma Felis says:

Oh, yes, another tired entry to the burgeoning Hotline Miami+FTL+zombies genre. I mean, we’ve all seen just thousands of those, right? Activision’s been right on schedule with yearly installments of Call of Miami: Modern Space Zombies, and don’t get me started on EA’s Medal of Hotline: Undead Assault franchise.

• AlKaPwn says:

lol, yeah RPS is waaaaay to cynical to anything involving zombies. You could have a game a civil war RTS/Tactical FPS about zombies and RPS would bitch and moan about how over done it is.

2. Bhazor says:

Oh. Zombies.

It looks like a poor man’s version of the amazing Teleglitch.

3. Jekhar says:

4. aldo_14 says:

These games should have formation buttons for organizing and bunching squads on demand, but they never seem to do so. (do they?)

• FF56 says:

Howdy, I’m the Developer behind Survivor Squad.
      You can select each Survivor individually through the Keys 1-4, click on them or draw a selection box.

• Jekhar says:

I think he meant predefinded formations (wedge, line, column, etc.) which your squad would form themselves on your command and keep while moving.

• FF56 says:

Oh you are correct, after reading it again it does seem that is what he meant.
          In regards to that, there are no formations buttons. The game very much encourages micro management so the player is the one who sets up the survivors in the positions he chooses.

The game is very intense when there are plenty of enemies around and you must move your Survivors. They cannot shoot while moving so you really need to move them as a formation one by one, if you move all of them at once, no one is shooting.

I am planning to make a gameplay trailer in about two weeks that will further demonstrate the controls and the general feel of the game.

Thanks for your comments!

5. FurryLippedSquid says:

Did you hear about the footballer who was caught in his apartment with a dead hooker?

It was murder on Zidane’s floor…

Aha.

*cough*

6. pupsikaso says:

Reminds me of Teleglitch, minus the squad thing.
    I wonder how they’ll be different.

7. dethtoll says:

I wasn’t prepared to take this seriously. Even less so once I heard that screaming cultist sound from Blood and I started laughing.