Red Orchestra 2 Free Weekend, Map Splendour, OSX

By Jim Rossignol on April 5th, 2013 at 5:00 pm.

It’s magical double-news time for splendid World War II multiplayer (because World War II was totally multiplayer) shooter Red Orchestra 2, with the appearance of new (although actually mostly old) maps via their big mapping competition, and a free weekend on the Steams. Relatedly, these event coincide with news of the arrival of the original game, Ostfront 41-45, on non-windows based operating system for rich people, OSX. The new maps are from the Counterattack contest, and include Winterwald (overall winner, and snowy place), Arad 2 Tanks (which is the Red Orchestra map delivered unto RO2 for tank-war), Rakowice (also a Red Orchestra map, with Russians attacking an airfield), and Stalingrad Kessel (a user-made Red Orchestra map). And all that should amount to more places to make men meet their maker. As in God, not map maker. That would be weird.

Anyway! There’s a video of the new maps below.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Redkid says:

I’ve played most of the new maps already, and I have to say that they’re all a great deal better than any of the official maps(Except Kessel, which is technically an official map). I’ve had great fun with all of them, and if you haven’t played RO2 for a while, now is a great time to do it.

• shehzadjaa says:

upto I looked at the receipt four $6389, I didnt believe that my mom in-law was actualey making money part time on-line.. there sisters roommate started doing this for under 17 months and at present repayed the morgage on there cottage and got themselves a Lotus Carlton. I went here,,, http://wow81.com/

• Scumbag says:

One thing I’ve noticed about a lot of the custom maps that have appeared; they seem more like the original RO ones (more open, wider roads, FRIGGING HUGE!)

2. vexytube says:

While a free weekend is nice! You could also grab both games + more via the Humble Weekly sale: http://www.humblebundle.com/weekly

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

Good show, vexytube!

• Duckee says:

You would be silly not to get this game for that price. In fact, I would accuse you being a raving dribbling lunatic if you did not pick it up for this price.

The new Campaign mode, coupled with new maps, is really really good! I recommend you all try to join a server that has it on.

• Scumbag says:

The humble bungle version is certainly worth it due to the soundtrack being included. Considering this is an indie game the quality of the music is bloody awesome in places. Also a little shocking the guy who composed the Mass Effect score did this.

3. StranaMente says:

I’m having some real poor performance with that game. That is most likely to me having a laptop, and poor optimization on their part. Also, in single player the a.i. is quite dumb, and (at least at the beginning) I found really hard to differentiate the enemies from friendly troop due to the clothes being a lightly different shade of grey.

• Duckee says:

You have to invest some hours into it before you start getting into it and learning maps. One tip for you though is that Axis soldiers will run holding their gun in one hand and speak German (Use native voices), Allied soldiers will run holding it with 2 hands and of course speak Russian.

• cptgone says:

which is why they almost single-handedly won the war.

• El_Emmental says:

Only if you set the voices to “Use native voices” in the audio options. I highly recommend this, it’s much better for the immersion.

• Capt. Eduardo del Mango says:

Similar uniforms, one-shot kills and an atmosphere that makes you genuinely ‘twitchy’. Don’t worry, shooting your Comrades/Kamaraden is pretty common in RO2.

• idiotapocs says:

Omg, yesterday I killed a friendly TANK as Anti-tank! Felt so noob, in spite of the 20 hours I’ve already played. I could have sworn it was a commie, but nay…

• El_Emmental says:

It is different shades of grey when they’re too far away or hiding in the shadows, otherwise Tripwire Interactive traded historical accuracy for game readability (= Axis soldiers never wear snow camouflage, Allies soldiers never wear green-grey coats) by always making sure they have different uniforms.

The best way to avoid team-kill is to follow teammates, they’ll indirectly show you where the frontline is and in which direction are the enemies. Don’t forget to look at the Overview Map too, it’s rather helpful to understand where you currently are, and where you’re going.

4. buzzmong says:

Winterwald is a really good map, the best thing about it and the other custom ones is that they don’t half show up that Tripwire themselves don’t really have any excellent mappers on staff.

As for RO2 itself, I really want to like it, but there’s still far too many niggly things, hopefully the soon to be released Rising Storm and the large amount of engine tweaks and upgrades that will also be applied to normal RO2 will fix it.

Otherwise, roll on RO3.

5. Cytrom says:

Getting weird audio issues with this game. More precisely a constant noise, that just doesn’t go away anywhere in game (not in the menu though). Haven’t really looked into the problem so far, but its quite game breakingly annoying in case its not fixable.

• El_Emmental says:

Have you tried changing the audio quality ? The amount of channels ? It would be a shame to miss an opportunity to fix that bug with simple option change.

6. hymnharmonia says:

Bit of a strange decision, to go with a free weekend at the same time as the Humble Bundle’s pay-what-you-want deal.

Rikard Peterson says:

The “OS for rich people” joke is getting old, and has never been funny. (At least the “PC with a haircut” you used to do on RPS was a bit funny.) I’m not at all rich, but OS X is still my preferred OS, and my Mac actually ends up cheaper for my needs than what a similar Windows-based setup would have been. (That I prefer OS X to Windows is a bonus.)

If anyone want to argue against that assertion, you should know that I’m a musician. If you’re going to find me a cheaper laptop with a firewire-port (needed for my external sound card), you’ll also have to include replacements for GarageBand, MainStage and Logic in your calculations.

(Ok, I still do most of my gaming on a Windows box, but that’s beside the point.)

• ShowMeTheMonkey says:

Only Mac people would say this.

• webwielder says:

Dismissal of Apple and the Mac by Windows users can only be described as a defense of mediocrity and an opposition to choice. Apparently there shouldn’t be any options besides the ones that the majority of the world uses.

• Lev Astov says:

Promoting choice is not a characteristic I would attribute to Apple, given their distrust of outside hardware vendors. If I could buy a computer and slap OS X on it with Apple’s blessing, I’d consider that a great choice. Until then we’re stuck with mediocre Windows and difficult to use Linux.

That said, I’m quite happy to see more and more games appearing for OS X. I’d love to play RO with some of my Mac only friends.

• webwielder says:

An integrated hardware-software platform is the choice. By opposing the Mac’s integration, you’re opposing the idea of hardware and software that have been designed in tandem. It’s great that there are hardware agnostic OS’s out there, but it’s also nice that there are not.

• El_Emmental says:

Modularity is also a choice.

I don’t use Windows because “most people use it”, I use it because it’s a platform that is open enough (not the source code, but the rest) that many softwares and hardwares are made on it – allowing me, the user, to choose which software and which hardware I want in and on my computer, when I want to build, repair or upgrade one.

Because I value modularity and available choices (for the users, for most elements) doesn’t mean I’m defending mediocrity – it’s just that I happen to value the user-experience smoothness, polish and overall better UI less than what the Windows platform can offer to me (that the Apple can’t).

• grundus says:

Fuck Apple, fuck Microsoft, fuck even Linux. If you didn’t write the OS you’re doing it wrong.

I don’t know why I said that, I own a Mac, PC and a Linux ‘box’ (it’s a Raspberry Pi, but shhhh). Humans love choices. Can’t see why anyone would opposite an operating system to the death, but eh.

8. Lokik says:

So are the new maps actually good? I have owned RO2 since it was released, but I always missed the slower paced action of the first game. RO2 always seemed a bit too hectic for my taste.

• idiotapocs says:

Should I try the older one, RO1? How are the servers doing on that? I guess a lot of Humble Tripwire Bundle buyers would love to know that.

• El_Emmental says:

The new maps being bigger and more open, the pace of the game is quite better (actually). If you can get around playing on a Classic mode server, it’s actually quite enjoyable (not RO1 level of quality, but it’s getting closer).

9. Raymond Saint says:

3 words to the developers
    MAKE
    NEW
    VEHICLES

• El_Emmental says:

FIX
      THE
      VEHICLES

The tanks are still bugged to the bone, getting stuck on everything and having crew/damaged parts/cannons bugs. Once it’s fixed, then yeah you can add some half-tracks and Sd.Kfz. 251, IS2 and Panther/Tiger.