A Falling Out: Grimlands Dusts Off Kickstarter

By Jim Rossignol on April 8th, 2013 at 3:00 pm.

Drago Entertainment have posted a Kickstarter for Grimlands, a post-apocalyptic MMOFPS that was going to be published by F2P maestros Gamigo, but recently got cancelled. The game concept is one that ticks some of my favourite boxes: “We strive to mix the shooter- and RPG-gameplay inspired by Fallout 3 and Borderlands with the social dynamics and freedom of choice like in Ultima Online.” That’s development director Lucjan Mikociak, who claims that Grimlands is the game he always wanted to play. I think it might be the game a few of you always wanted to play, too.

Just take a look at the videos below and see.

Not exactly the slickest-looking offering, but it offers two things that most MMOs seem to want to squirm their way out of at all costs: a player-driven economy and no player levels. As they explain: “There are no character levels and Grimlands has a rather flat power curve meaning the difference in power between a new and a capped character is nowhere close to what you are used from other MMORPGs. A leveled up character of cause has a wider range of skills and abilities to use and can do a lot more than a new one, but the new one doesn’t get killed by one shot either. As a matter of fact, two new characters can take on a leveled up one in PvP with a decent chance of winning.”

And that sounds good to me.

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Ultra Superior says:

I’ve always wanted to play this. Except in WH40K dressing.

Drayk says:

I think it’s a bad timing… I am waiting for Wasteland 2 and already gave money to both Torment and Divinity projects this month. I guess I am not the only one.

3. methodology says:

Have to keep an eye on this, will put it in the vault for now.

• phelix says:

It certainly does have a setting that falls out of the ordinary.

• Ultra Superior says:

Wast landscape, but still a ripper off. They should POST APOlogy to Bethesda quickly, before this F2P/FPS mutant gets nuked by lawyers.

• OldDirtyBathtub says:

Seems like this one could be a pip, boy.

4. KingKio says:

The only thing that interested me with the video was the potential for a massive sandbox, player versus player MMO that could possibly be done right (more likely wrong, like every other game that has tried it)

But to be honest, playing on a 64 slot Wasteland server on the Arma 3 alpha pretty much covers the sandbox “do your own thing” gameplay that I enjoy.

5. Bhazor says:

F2P?

Well thats a death sentence on Kickstarter.

So there aren’t player levels but players level up and leveled up players aren’t any stronger except they take two lower level players to kill? Wha~?

edit: 24 hours gone and $5601 raised of a $650,000 goal.
    That’s 0.86% of the goal.
    Dead on arrival.

• BobbyDylan says:

Yep. A F2P MMO…. I think this will go down like a shit sandwich.

• Aedrill says:

Yeah, they sound confused. But let’s hope they can pull it off, we need good, innovative MMOs. I’m not gonna play it though, just I can’t find enough time to properly play Guild Wars 2 so I don’t play it at all. Which is a shame.

• spunkify says:

I don’t think F2P is a death sentence on Kickstarter. I just think you have to have a good enough pitch and a game that people want for their to be interest.

• Ultra Superior says:

I agree. Problem of this kickstarter is that the offer to backers is really BAD.

Devs, if you read this, UP YOUR OFFER.

I was willing to invest around 20$ but there’s nothing I’d want. A month of premium what? And a bandana?

COME ON give them backers a reason to sponsor you.

• spunkify says:

The problem is at a 20 dollar price point all you can really offer is digital goods. 20 dollars won’t really cover any physical goods after you take into account shipping and purchasing anything you intend to use. So you could offer some exclusive skin and some forum badge or something.

• Bhazor says:

No the *real* problem is they’re asking people to pay $20 for a game everyone else will get for free.

• Ultra Superior says:

* and not giving them extra stuff that looks worth $20

6. aliksy says:

There are no character levels and Grimlands has a rather flat power curve

I approve. Hopefully they stick to that and don’t cave in to the inevitable “i want a power fantasy” crowd.

• TillEulenspiegel says:

That was one of Ultima Online’s brilliant design decisions which is usually forgotten. Newbies were a bit useless, but two or three intermediate players could take down any lone character. No level treadmill, no equipment treadmill, just gradual improvement of skills.

• Dezmiatu says:

Freshly made character in UO could kill anyone. You just had to have enough numbers to box in your target and abuse insta ress. Insta ress never made your skills percentage drop below what you selected upon starting, so a new character with 49 weapons and 50 tactics and a newbie weapon could keep rising from the dead on the spot with no repercussions. Bobs and Freds both abused it to hell and back.

So in short, Grimlands needs Insta Ress because Bob for BoB!

7. ZIGS says:

So, Defiance then? Also, they’re asking wayyy too much money

• Duke Nukem says:

Not really, MMO’s aren’t cheap, and animation work isn’t cheap either. I’d say it’s a pretty reasonable figure and I really hope they get the money.

• ResonanceCascade says:

It’s not that they’re asking too much money for an MMO, it’s that they’re asking too much money for a Kickstarter campaign to make a free-to-play MMO, especially one that doesn’t really have a big nostalgia draw.

• Memphis-Ahn says:

“Defiance but good.” is their tagline.

• RaytraceRat says:

My first reaction was “They are really planing to do an MMO with so many features on such tight budged?”

• Shuck says:

My first reaction was that they weren’t asking for any money at all, relatively speaking. It’s an MMO (you know, those things that often cost upwards of $100 million). I know development is cheaper in Poland, and the game is largely done in many respects, but still. That’s a tiny amount of money, even for a single-player game that looks anything like this.

• Branthog says:

$650k might cover the salary of the team that maintains your server infrastructure for one year in a small MMO project, if you’re lucky.

8. Snargelfargen says:

Grimlands is clearly a reference to the post-apocalyptic Deathlands novels. I remember loving those books when I was 12, although they’re probably really corny now. Decent setting for an MMO I guess.

9. pakoito says:

Improbable game with tacky pitch? Give them all my money, please.

10. ScubaMonster says:

So they wanted to make Fallen Earth then? Got it.

11. spindaden says:

the “more from the web” outbrain links on this article are truly terrible.

Dunno if it’s because i’m viewing from work and it’s based on stuff people from this ip look at or if it’s because they picked some really weird keywords out of the article.
    It seems to be about body paint, eating disorders, kate middleton and plastic surgery.

• spindaden says:

Nevermind, it’s universally terrible on all articles both on the work machine and from my phone (although they are different so IP does matter).
      I have this vague memory of the first time I saw it thinking it wasn’t as completely irrelevant and terrible as I’d expected, but perhaps it’s always been like this.

12. Max Planck says:

First person shooters are in 3rd person now?

13. Dudeist says:

On West Coast they have New Vegas, here, in Poland is Nova Huta. Hard to find more differences :D

14. aspire cya says:

Wait…this game looks like…Fallen Earth!

15. kibble-n-bullets says:

It’s fair to ask what the game will do new or well amongst its peers.

16. cloudnein says: