Pew-Pew And All Those Noises: Thunder Wolves

By Jim Rossignol on April 8th, 2013 at 4:00 pm.

Shoot ‘em ups! I remember those, with the streams of rockets and the videogame physics. Wow, here comes one now, like a hellfire rocket fired from the mid-Nineties. It’s called THUNDER WOLVES and is about helicopters of course, not giant packs of dogs made of storm noise. Thunder Wolves apparently features “thirty combinations” of helicopter and weaponry (which doesn’t actually sound like that many) and will feature co-up ground-rocketing action. Also from the feature list: “Tons of enemies, including terrorist foot soldiers, land vehicles of all sorts, and even enemy choppers.” Imagine!

It should be released “soon”. Explooooooossssiooooooooooooon.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. JimDiGritz says:

When you hear the Sound of Thunder don’t you get too Scared,
    Just grab your Thunder Buddy and say these magic Words
    Fuck you Thunder, you can suck my Dick, you can’t get me
    Thunder cause you’re just gods Farts

• roryok says:

- Alfred Lord Tennyson

• analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

Wup wup wup wup, daccca daccca daccca, daccca daccca daccca, pee-ow pee-ow Q2 2013 I quite literally can contain my excitement

2. Snids says:

The name of this game is the best name.

3. zbmott says:

I unfortunately had to watch the trailer at work, without sound, but I really hope they had some kind of rockin’ soundtrack a la Awesomenauts to go along with it.

• pmuschi says:

It was a sort-of rock ‘n’ roll opera mashup. Seemed fitting.

• SuicideKing says:

It kind of sounded like they’re taking themselves too seriously.

4. Tyrmot says:

It looks fun.. what happened to all the helicopter ‘em-ups anyway? That was a pretty solid genre for a while back there..

• KDR_11k says:

There are generally not as many games about modern military vehicles as there used to be, these days it’s all just bald dudes so you can “identify” with them better. No tanks, no subs, no battleships, no helis, no jets, …

• Ubik2000 says:

Man, I suddenly have an overwhelming urge to play one of the ‘Strike’ games. I don’t suppose GOG has the PC port of Nuclear Strike…..nope. Damn.

• rustybroomhandle says:

Oooh ooh! I’m making one! Slightly more influenced by Cyclone and Raid Over Bungling Bay, but since it’s a top-down iso-ish view I guess the comparisons with *Strike are inevitable. Got some very early gameplay footage up on the ‘tube but not 100% comfy showing it off yet.

EDIT: Must point out that mine lands on a carrier submarine and features sharks with frickin’ laser beams on their heads.

5. Michael Hoss says:

THUNDERHULK!

6. Jimmy says:

AIRWOLFACE

7. bleeters says:

I’m having Hell Copter flashbacks. Good times.

8. KwisatzHaderach says:

Reminds me of Nuclear Strike from 1997. A game that I have fond memories of…

9. Xocrates says:

I demand more trailers to include the phrase “Riveting Entertainment!”

10. Moni says:

We’re one step closer to having a game named: “Angry Houses”.

• Trithne says:

You design it, I’ll make it. No guarantees of quality

• Moni says:

It’s just be an Angry Birds rip off, but with tanks or something.

• Droopy The Dog says:

Reverse the concept completely, fling bits of building materials at birds’ nests to squish the eggs inside. Call it a gritty reboot of the angry franchise.

strangeloup says:

I think a game about giant packs of dogs made of storm noise would be pretty awesome.

The actual thing on show here, on the other hand, is giving me Super Thunder Blade flashbacks.

• pmuschi says:

So what you would rather fight, giant packs of thunder dogs or packs of giant thunder dogs?

• LionsPhil says:

…and is about helicopters of course, not giant packs of dogs made of storm noise.

Lost interest here, etc.

12. Slade says:

The kid inside me tells that I should unleash my Desert Strike nostalgia onto this game.
    Helicopters ! Missiles ! Rockets ! Massive explosions ! Civilians caught in flames !

13. Droopy The Dog says:

Is this 2.5D movement? It is isn’t it?

Why can’t I get a new helicopter arcadey explosion fest with movement in all 3 axis? I want a game that basically lets me be both gunner and pilot from the BF2 attack helicopters at once, but with bigger guns and an endless stream of almost helpless, AI controlled, ground mooks to slaughter guilt free.

Riaktion says:

I think the game you want is Apache:Air Assault isn’t it? Sounds like it would fit the bill perfectly

• Droopy The Dog says:

Hmmm, that certainly looks close to the game I want. The helicopter movement looks a little simplified and I’d like the aiming to be more independent of the flight controls correction, they use more manual aiming later in the video, my interest is piqued. Cheers!

They’re teasing me with xbox and PS3 demos but no PC demo, those monsters.

Riaktion says:

Hey no prob, I think the video I linked is the PC version isn’t it? And the flight controls are basically the same as Battlefield which is why I mentioned it, however that is on the simple flight model, or easy mode. The harder difficulties have full flight model if that’s what you’re after. For me it straddles the game versus sim line pretty well, kinda like the Grid and Dirt racing games do if you’ve played those.

And yes, you can operate your guns separately via a gun cam like it shows :)

• KDR_11k says:

Is that one actually good?

Riaktion says:

Solid game, whether it’s good however is a matter of personal taste if say, and also what you want from a game emulating flying a gunship for various real world military’s. the game is neither sim or arcade shoot em up in my eyes, but hits a sweet spot in between, however that is something really personal and unique to me I’d say, no idea where your gaming sweet spot lies :)

14. The Infamous Woodchuck says:

The Hellfire is actually an AGM not a rocket, im guessing you were referring to the hydra jim?

dammit, im being nitpicky again..