Analogue: An Even More Hateful Story – Hate Plus

By Nathan Grayson on April 9th, 2013 at 12:00 pm.

When Christine Love writes, you should probably listen. She’s proven incredibly capable of spinning choice-powered yarns around love and hate, weaving in themes of misogyny, history, the ramifications of technology, and many more with a deft, personal hand. Seriously, if you’re not convinced, go read Kieron (pre-vengeful virtual ghost state) and Alec’s respective write-ups of Digital: A Love Story and Analogue: A Hate Story. Then join me after the break for the first details on There’s Not A Pre-Subtitle This Time: Hate Plus.

But OK, the title is still kinda long. This time around, the full thing’s Hate Plus: Mute’s Golden Days. It’s a direct sequel to Analogue, too, so expect more ships, AIs, and divisive art styles. Love explained:

“Hate Plus is a sequel to Analogue: A Hate Story that continues directly from the end of that game, and explores, over the course of three days, the events leading up to year 0. If Analogue was the backstory of *Hyun-ae, then Hate Plus is the backstory of *Mute. It plays similarly to Analogue, but instead of your AI companion simply showing you files they’ve picked, you’ll have to investigate yourself, and discover what happened together.”

If you have an Analogue save file sitting around, you’ll be able to resume right where you left off with choices intact – which in theory makes this story even more multifarious than Love’s previous games, given that it can both begin and end at multiple, fairly different points.

It’ll be out this summer, with an improved UI and More Words Than Ever Before in tow. I know, I know: you (probably) don’t play games to read. But that’s a mistake because a) brilliant people are expressing all kinds of interesting, provocative, heartfelt stuff via Twine and b) words are the greatest. Hate Plus, then, is probably something you should be very excited about it. Also, summers are usually super happy and gross. NEEDS MORE HATE YEAH THAT’S THE PUNCHLINE HERE I GUESS.

, , .

1. Kaar says:

Still waiting on the RPS VN

• Delusibeta says:

Well, there’s the 503 error, which will probably be the closest we’ll get to a novel on RPS, visual or otherwise.

• The Random One says:

But if you can’t seduce the daringly handsome men of RPS, what’s even the point?

• sirdavies says:

Yeah, an RPS visual novel would be definitive proof that game journalists are just as sexy we envision!

2. Serenegoose says:

I’m not quite sure how to describe how I feel about this, because Analogue: a Hate story was one of the most powerful stories a game had ever told me. So that’s a good thing, yes? Definitely. But it was also like being punched in the stomach. Repeatedly.

So I’m looking forward to it, but I’m aware it’s probably going to hurt me.

3. Inigo says:

“Now with ‘Backgrounds’!”

4. tobecooper says:

I will need to replay Analogue with *Mute as a companion because my playthrough with *Hyun-ae was a disaster of epic proportions that ended with a savefile that won’t be transferable.

I loved it all the more because of that, though, and am waiting for more Hate from Love.

• Kitsunin says:

Now you have me curious, did you somehow mess up the data??

Or did you accidentally leave the poor girl behind? :(

5. xaros says:

HATEFACE!

6. CaspianRoach says:

Sweet! Any word on pricing or Steam release?

edit: Pricing is “the same as Analogue”.

Gap Gen says:

So, haters are now going to hate even more?

• MadTinkerer says:

It’s a pun on Love Plus. The whole “hate” thing is a reference to the ugliness found in the archives, a big part of the backstory I won’t spoil, more than the living characters’ attitudes. Although *Mute does start off hating Hyun-Ae, but… You know, it really is difficult to explain the title without spoilers.

8. SuicideKing says:

So is it supposed to be analogue or analog? I always thought analogue is related to analogous and analog was the digital/analog one.

Do i say analog because of the Americans?

• tobecooper says:

The first game is quite clearly Analogue because it tells two analogous hate stories.

The analog/digital thingy is just for puns.

• Mr. Mister says:

Next time it’ll be homologue. Or an homolog. Oh dear lord how did I not see that comig.

• Consumatopia says:

I have no position on the spelling (I do it the same way, but I’m American and I’m not even sure we all do it that way), but I believe an analog signal is called that because it’s suppose to be analogous to another quantity. Digital signals are arbitary–just because there’s more bits turned on doesn’t mean that the signal is supposed to represent “more” of anything. But if our interpretation of a continuous signal is a continuous function of that signal, that establishes limits on how we the kind of reinterpretations we can make.

• SuicideKing says:

I read Jim or another person write analogue on another article, so that and this confused me. I’ve seen a lot of people mix up the spellings.

• Daedalus207 says:

Analogue is the “traditional” spelling, while analog is the American spelling, part of the grand American tradition of dropping “ue” from the end of words.

In this case, Analogue is correct because the last game was called Analogue. Probably because Miss Love is Canadian.

9. BanGyNZ says:

Heh, I just finished Analog of hate a couple of hours ago and I found it fascinating.

10. greenbananas says:

Analogue: A nightmare, more like. First, because of how info-dumpy it is at the start when you’re not really sure what you’re supposed to be doing (and the characters having korean names really doesn’t help); worse, when it’s getting to the end of Hyun-Ae’s story and even if you can see it coming from a mile off, it’s just… ugh. She can spin a good tale, this Love. Definitely interested.

• Kitsunin says:

Everything went better than expected reading this comment!

• greenbananas says:

Don’t get me wrong, I still wish some (small) measure of pain to be brought on Ms. Love for surprise-kicking me in the gut before I’d realized how invested I’d become in the story. I could stand to get kicked more often by the games I play, mind.

11. Kitsunin says:

Go Christine Love! Her stories always have just the right amount of sads and d’awws.

In short, the wait can’t be quick enough.

strangeloup says:

I really need to get around to playing Analogue, but I just bought Binfinite last night and it’s finished downloading and aaaaaa need to play it before spoilers.

I got stuck in Digital — yes, I got stuck in a visual novel, let the mocking commence — but don’t take it personally, babe, it just ain’t your story was just utterly fantastically great.

Don’t suppose anyone has any recommendations to the tune of “more like this, please”?

13. Consumatopia says:

I loved the original, but I’m not sure how I feel about this.

The original was so short that getting all the endings didn’t take very long–the story was so good, I wanted to see it from every angle.

As a consequence, I don’t really have any sense that any particular ending is “my” ending. There’s no set of “my” choices, I made *every* choice (that I could discover).

14. Deviija says:

Super excited for this release! All her games are great yarns on so many different levels.

15. The Random One says:

As Amnesia is to aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah oh god there’s something after meeeeeeeee, Analogue is to wow human beings are jerks. I love it but doubt I’ll ever be able to play it.

16. Charles de Goal says:

I hope Christine still loves Linux.

17. Dessel says:

I’d just like to point out that the news of Hate Plus were released on 1st of April. So… At least take the savegame feature with a grain of salt.

• Dominic White says:

She was talking about Hate Plus for about six months before that. It was originally planned to be an expansion for Analogue, but now it’s a standalone that lets you import saves.

18. ass wasp says:

I don’t get why the only textual adventures/visual novels that RPS covers are christine love’s and the twine stuff that gets posted in the weekly indie game roundup.
    There are so many different games, katawa shoujo isn’t any good but it got some coverage, but there’s so many things like Steins;Gate and the brilliant detective game kawa no shoujo which are both available in english and deserving of much more exposure, particularly considering that visual novels are pretty much the biggest pc-exclusive game genre to come from japan.

• ass wasp says:

Oh and ‘Don’t take it personally…’ isn’t just the best western visual novel, it’s one of the best in the field.

• Kitsunin says:

It’s not at all unreasonable that RPS wouldn’t accept games which have no “Official” translation, and are also a pain in the ass to get your hands on. Looking around it appears Steins;Gate is indeed purchasable online, which is quite a first coming from Japan, but it’s still much too expensive for the western market.

• MaXimillion says:

“Quite a first”? There are plenty of Japanese VN’s available officially in English through Mangagamer, JAST USA etc.

• Kitsunin says:

Well, it’s a first for a game being sold only within Japan. I play a lot of Doujins, and I’ve not seen many good ones available for purchase online. Perhaps it has to do with the types I like to play. I do know that it has to do with the strange way that many doujins treat copyright, but it still makes it tough to take the Japanese market seriously from outside of Japan.

Mangagamer isn’t working now, but JAST seems to be all hentai, which I honestly avoid if it’s at all possible. A game needs to have a kickass plot for me to be willing to deal with obligatory sex scenes and being unable to discuss the game with my friends after playing it.

19. adam.jutzi says: