No One Lives Forever Rights Nowhere To Be Found

By Nathan Grayson on April 9th, 2013 at 8:00 am.

Where in the world is Cate Archer? Not even Carmen Sandiego knows. Presumably. We also couldn't find her, only complicating the matter.

No One Lives Forever was basically the greatest. This is an incontrovertible truth of the universe. The unabashedly groovy stealth shooter (and its sequel; though not blah blah blam blam spin-off Contract J.A.C.K) was equal parts silly and smart, with a peeling back of the proverbial weaponized banana peel yielding everything from lowbrow stereotypes to startlingly nuanced dissections of sexism and the criminal mind. Also, it had the best phonetic title acronym ever. NOLF. Just say that out loud. Isn’t it wonderful? It’s like the yelp a dog would make if its nose were being pinched by an enraged yet largely harmless lobster. But anyway, point being, wouldn’t it be great if we could somehow get another from somebody? Please? Well, happily, there appear to be at least a couple interested parties. Problem is, Cate Archer’s performed a disappearing act so formidable that even the likes of the maniacal *lightning crackles* Activision Corp can’t track her down.

The story goes that original publisher Fox Interactive got gobbled up by Vivendi Universal back in 2003, and then the great Activision Blizzard of 2007 rolled in and left everybody frozen under the same roof. So, logically, the rights to No One Lives Forever should be buried somewhere deep in Activision’s Singularity-and-Guitar-Hero-strewn vaults, right? Unfortunately/thankfully, bzzzzzt wrong. Activision community mastermind Dan “One of Swords” Amrich explained:

“The person who I normally talk to about that stuff does not believe that we currently have the rights. They’v never seen it. They’ve never been given the permission to put that stuff on Good Old Games. They basically said, ‘If we had it, I would love to have been able to reissue those games.’”

“At this time I do not believe Activision has the rights to No One Lives Forever, so if there were to be a reissue or remake or something like that, it wouldn’t come from Activision. I don’t know what the future holds for No One Lives forever, but I don’t think that that future involves Activision.”

Fair enough. But what about original developer Monolith? After taking a turn for the grimdark in FEAR and Condemned, they recently resumed their wacky ways with Gotham City Imposters. So, you know, maybe a new NOLF’s also in order? Sadly, no dice on that front either. “I contacted a friend at Monolith, and he doesn’t know [who has the rights],” said Amrich.

In short, no one’s sure what happened to No One Lives Forever. Not even God. By which I of course mean my good friend Goddard Williamson, who usually keeps abreast of these sorts of things.

So for now, it’s a mystery. However, I plan to do some digging, and if any globules of info-rich saliva fall from parted lips in some parking garage of secrets, I’ll let you know. Here’s hoping.

Thanks, Blue’s News.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Sisco says:

I´ve never played NOLF 1 or 2 and everytime I read something about them, I feel a bit of shame. :/

• TheDreamlord says:

I found the first one really great (back in the day), though the second one I thought suffered a bit for some unidentifiable (for me) reason. But I have really fond memories of the first one!

• Dances to Podcasts says:

I’d say the first one had better singleplayer and the second one better multiplayer. There are still people who (multi)play it, even though the master server has been switched off now.

• int says:

Find them. Buy them. Play them.

• thesundaybest says:

Just found a video of a speed run on YouTube. Now I really want to play this. “On your left, first balcony. [POW].”

Awesome.

• cunningmunki says:

Thankfully, I still have the discs for both and have been on a voyage of rediscovery lately. The original managed to skillfully combine many aspects from other FPS games, improve on them, and then throw in a few new innovations for good measure.
      The second expanded on this, but threw in some stunning graphics to boot. Playing NOLF2 on high-res it’s difficult to believe it was released two whole years before Half-Life 2.

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

The second one still looks fresh. The first one looks fine but obviously an older game.
      Both of them are wonderful. They are funny games and IMO the best stealth games this side of Thief.
      I really do prefer the sequel.

• Casimir's Blake says:

NOLF2 still looks pretty damn good, even with its fairly low texture resolution. Apart from the groovy story and better-than-decent FPS gameplay, there were many small details, love and care to many aspects of it. One thing I remember, to this day, is that NOLF2 was the first game I encountered where characters had “real” eyeballs, and during cutscenes at least they moved fairly realistically.

Oh and NOLF2 wasn’t constrained by hyper-realistic level design. It was quite unpredictable. FPSs were a damn sight more fun when level designers used level design to shape gameplay (heck this goes back to Doom) rather than as a visual crutch.

• Lagwolf says:

NOLF 1 & 2 are great games that were damn good fun and had tongue firmly placed in cheek the whole time.

2. MadTinkerer says:

Same thing happened to Double Dragon. That’s one reason why one of the biggest arcade and NES franchises, the franchise that redefined beat-em-ups prior to Street Fighter II, vanished over a decade ago.

On the positive side, I still have my NOLF 2 discs. On the negative side I have literally never gotten the game to work because my OS is too futuristic. *facepalm*

EDIT: I wonder if Disney will allow TRON 2.0 on GoG? I still have the discs and I did get that one to work, but I’d still get a copy on GoG for backup/not-having-to-manually-mess-with-OS-issues purposes.

• -Spooky- says:

Double Dragon Neon? – http://bit.ly/Z5ckPy *sigh*

• MadTinkerer says:

Aha! So someone finally figured out the Double Dragon rights after all! And I missed that they actually released something a few months ago. Well a year ago what I said was true…

Now we just need someone to figure out the NOLF rights.

• Baines says:

Two different companies have made and published Double Dragon games in the last few years, so I’m not really sure what it says about the game’s rights.

Double Dragon Neon was made by WayForward and published by Majesco. It was released last year.

Double Dragon II: The Wander of Dragons was made by Gravity and published by Cyberfront Korea Corporation. It was originally supposed to come out I think in 2011, but finally saw its XBLA release this month.

Back in 2003, Atlus and Million released Double Dragon Advance.

According to Wikipedia, a 2011 iPhone remake was developed by Brizo Interactive and published by Aksys.

That’s four games over ten years, every game by a different developer and different publisher.

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

This product has a rating of 4 out of 5 running under Windows 7 (x86_64)

Comments:
      The game itself is fully 32-bit and it will work just fine on 64 bit once you get it installed, which fortunately is very easy:

1. Copy the “Game” directory from your CD1 onto your hard drive. Rename it something life “NOLF” or whatever you want.
      2. Copy NOLF.REZ from the “Data” directory into the same directory.
      3. Insert CD2 and copy both .REZ files from the Data directory into that same directory.
      4. Move or copy NOLF.EXE and Lithtech.exe from the “English” (or whatever language version you want)subdirectory into your game directory.
      5. Insert CD1 and run NOLF.EXE to play.

• Casimir's Blake says:

Good god, I remember Tron 2. And I remember it being one of the last mainstream FPSs with some abstract, interesting, gameplay-enhancing level design. Great FPS, very imaginative game. It’ll be a linear Gears-fest if they made another one (see the difference between old Aliens vs. Predator games and the last two).

3. Ansob says:

NOLF is one of those series that really needs to be on GOG. Maybe Jason Rohrer took the rights and buried them out somewhere in the desert, and if we all look together we’ll find them?

4. Guvornator says:

It was published by Fox interactive, wasn’t it? The right are probably deep in the bowls of Murdoch’s lair…

EDIT: NOLF2 was published in Japan by some company called “Imagineer” according to wikipedia. I have no idea if that’s useful info or not…

5. Low Life says:

My heart skipped a beat when I opened RPS and the first thing I saw was a headline on NOLF. Then I got sad. Might as well go back to bed.

6. LionsPhil says:

Truly great games. NOLF2 is not a mile away from Deus Ex.

Unfortunately, Cate’s pretty good at hiding.

7. Njordsk says:

probably the best(s) shooters ever to me.

Played them both at least 3 or 4 times and can’t get enough.

8. John Walker says:

Of course, the simplest way to learn who owns it is for someone to make a game using the name, and see who sues them.

• Guvornator says:

Well there’s a film using the same name http://www.rockethub.com/projects/9661-no-one-lives-forever-film. So far un-sued, it seems. I’m always saying Americans just don’t sue people enough…

• ResonanceCascade says:

I checked the trademark after seeing this vlog yesterday, and it is listed as expired. Plus, if the movie has nothing to do with the game, they might’ve been able to use it anyway. Trademark law is a strange and messy place.

note: I am not saying the copyrights are expired for this, that is unlikely to happen in our lifetime.

• Fanbuoy says:

That sounds insane enough to work. If noone knows who owns the IP, could anyone theoretically just produce new games? Who’s going to complain? The government? Or will the rights to NOLF become the Eldorado of the gaming world, as everyone rushes to see if they can sue the crap out of the new game?

• Tinus says:

Perhaps we should organize a NOLF gamejam to kick this into gear. I’d certainly be up for it.

• Spoon Of Doom says:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t it even so that if whoever holds the right doesn’t sue, they practically give up the rights? I thought I heard some trademark nonsense when Notch vs. Bethesda was hot that a company is required to defend their trademarks, and if they don’t they’re shit out of luck.

So, as ZIGS says, announce game, make a trailer and all that. If someone sues, we know who it is and can buy/license the property, and if not, we get a new game without any legal trouble! It must work!

• Phantoon says:

Until Activision sues anyways, then makes the next game if they won or lost, then claims the name again. The game of course will be churned out garbage, because Activision doesn’t like making decent video games.

• FatedToPretend says:

Not an expert on these things, but I think you’re confusing a trademark and copyright here

A trademark must be enforced, but applies to fairly transitory things like catchphrases etc, but copyright is undeniable for the time its issued.

In this case, the title NOLF is probably trademarked so could be challenged easily, but the characters, backstory, and all that sort of thing will be subject to copyright laws, which are a lot more stringent.

• Spoon Of Doom says:

Okay, my bad. I’ve long given up on truly understanding trademark and copyright laws, it was just a vague tidbit of info in the back of my mind.

Anyway, the plan still seems like perfect Kickstarter material :)

• cunningmunki says:

I had a similar thought, but about re-distributing the original games. Or is copyright a different matter? Hypothetically, if GOG sold this on their site (or gave it away as a freebie or for charity), who would sue them?

• lijenstina says:

The simplest way to distinguish between methanol and ethanol is to to see after which glass you’ll turn blind.

9. ZIGS says:

I think the solution for this conundrum is quite simple:

1. Interested party announces a new, official NOLF game, maybe even mock-up a teaser/trailer (make sure to use the exact same iconic music from the originals)

2. Wait a couple of days for the inevitable lawsuit

3. Contact whoever issued the lawsuit and arrange some kind of agreement

4. ???

5. PROFIT!

Edit: GOD DAMN YOU JOHN WALKER

• zain3000 says:

A slightly better plan than the one I was thinking:

Phase 01: Steal underpants
      Phase 02:
      Phase 03: PROFIT!

I still feel that somehow underpants should be involved in your plan.

• Branthog says:

More likely, they’d just issue a cease and desist to which you’d respond appropriately, stopping your activities and you’d now know who maintains (or, at least, claims to) the rights.

In fact, I don’t see why some random group of indie guys online (thinking ala that NeoGAF collectively made game from awhile back) couldn’t just get together, register a domain. put up some concept art and a video and claim to be making “NOLF 3″ . . . but not actually do any of it. And just wait for the flies to come to the honey. Or whatever the fuck it is that comes to honey. A bear or a bee or whatever the fuck.

• MacTheGeek says:

Here’s the problem with the idea: copyright defense doesn’t have a statute of limitations (beyond the aging of the copyright itself, which is irrelevant to this situation).

So you go, and you make your NOLF 3, and it sells a bajillion copies, and somebody shows up five years from now with a copyright claim. You are absolutely hosed, because you used IP you didn’t have (a) ownership of, or (2) a legal right to use. The actual copyright holder will have a very easy time taking every dime you made, and you won’t have a leg to stand on.

Someone like Activision could probably work around the problem by finding all of the parties who might possibly own the IP, and buy ‘em all off with variations of “if you actually own the IP, you agree not to sue us in exchange for this juicy check we’ve given you”. But it would probably be cheaper for them just to send in renowned archaeological lawyer Hammurabi Jones, and have him figure out who actually owns the rights.

• RvLeshrac says:

Actively seeking the rights-holder is an affirmative defence in a copyright infringement suit.

If I try repeatedly, in a public manner, in good faith, to determine who owns the license for a property, but they have not registered their copyright and do not come forward before I have released the product, that’s enough for a court.

They’re not likely to allow you to CONTINUE using the license, of course, and you’re going to have to pay some token penalties to the rights-holder, but you’re not legally allowed to abuse your copyright by refusing to acknowledge that you hold it until you can sue.

(Inevitably, some dumb shit will reply to this comment saying something about Star Wars or some other well-known property. No, you’re probably not going to win by claiming that you don’t know who owns the Star Wars license, because stupidity is not a legal defence.)

10. jussipe says:

We have to find the man with the golden rights.

11. deaomen says:

I remember when NOLF(1) was released and even it was considered as quite long game, I played it through in two days. It was an experience and I really would like to buy it from GoG.com. There was something really unique about the game I haven’t been able to experience in any first-person shooter ever since. Maybe the memories grow sweeter with time…

• basilisk says:

Actually, I played the two games for the very first time only about two years ago, and they hold up tremendously well even without any nostalgia involved. There’s genuinely brilliant stuff in both of them.

• UncleLou says:

No, the first one was really absolutely wonderful, and even did a lot of things Deus Ex made a huge fuss about basically en passant. :-)

The second one was not that great. Competent enough, but it lacked the brilliance of the firs.

12. MeestaNob says:

It is in the best interest of humanity that this issue is investigated and rectified.

NOLF must return!

13. Lars Westergren says:

> It’s like the yelp a dog would make if its nose were being pinched by an enraged yet largely harmless lobster.

I imagine that noise would be a lot more high pitched. “NOLF” sounds like a fat man being startled by a toddler jumping on his belly.

I never played NOLF unfortunately. By the time I realized it was much more than just another shooter, it was nowhere to be found in stores. These were the dark days before digital download services. We played games in torch lit caves then.

• Low Life says:

I see no harm (hehe, HARM) in getting games like this from… friends.

But really, you should try to get your hands on these games. And I should try and see if my copy of NOLF 2 installs and plays on Windows 7.

• KwisatzHaderach says:

Both of them worked when I tried them out a few months ago. I had to fiddle with the resolution (I think, in the end I used a widescreen mod) and for NOLF2 there are even a few visual enhancers out there that provide Ambient Occlusion and stuff like that.

Also: everyone should read the retrospective on NOLF by John. Over at Eurogamer. It’s brilliant and catches precisely why these games where so special and why there will never ever be something like them again. Rights found or not.

14. Abendlaender says:

Somehow I can’t see Activision being all that sad about that.

15. GallonOfAlan says:

Played the two of them a while back. The first has not aged well. The second is still pretty good.

16. Entitled says:

IP laws. They fucking suck.

• UncleLou says:

Haha, no. They are necessary, and you as a consumer would be totally lost without them.

• Branthog says:

He didn’t say the concept sucks. He said the laws suck. It’s hard to look at the current implementation of copyright (and even trademark) laws and say they are from even the most remote realms of reality.

• Lanfranc says:

I wouldn’t say that the laws are to blame for this situation, rather that the parties involved (or presumably their lawyers) couldn’t keep their rights transmissions straight.

• Shuck says:

Well, under earlier versions of copyright laws, this would be in the public domain already, which would solve the problem, so…

17. Wonkyth says:

The original had a damned mean Capture-The-Flag too. Lots of fun.

18. Jae Armstrong says:

If the rights aren’t at Monolith, or Activision… could they have gone to 20th Century Fox?

I can’t see how it could possibly have ended up with anyone else, there doesn’t seem to be anyone else involved.

19. Kohlrabi says:

So this is true abandonware?

• Llewyn says:

Personally I wouldn’t describe it as abandonware – that generally implies that the rights owner has no active or passive interest in protecting their rights and are effectively happy for anything at all to happen to the property. I’d perhaps describe this as lostware – in this case it’s likely that the rights owner is actually not aware that they own the rights, but possibly would be interested in using them if they were.

However you might have highlighted the easiest way to expose where the rights are if they’re known at all. Announce a plan to freely distribute the original NOLF as abandonware, making sure to attract as much publicity as possible for it in advance so as to maximize your chances of getting some communication before you’ve actually done anything actionable. When you get the initial C&D respond politely that you’d be happy to oblige on receipt of proof that the requesting party actually holds the rights to the NOLF games.

• Branthog says:

Yes, by definition, this is abandonware, but that doesn’t really matter. Copyright isn’t suddenly relinquished on something simply because the copyright owner can’t be identified or because the copyright owner is ignoring the property.

Either whoever owns it does something with it or someone else can make their own No One Lives Forever Game, legally, in something like 95 more years, when it enters public domain.

20. ribobura osserotto says:

@Nathan Grayson This article might also be of your interest:

Apparently the source for NOLF2 was mysteriously GPLed by Touchdown Entertainment right before the company disappeared from the map. Aside from the original 2003 source release which bounded by a non-commercial EULA, there seems to be a 2007 source release instead covered by the GPLv2. It would be cool if added to this, the NOLF rights became part of Public Domain, so anyone could essentially get the game for free and use the source to make their own freely distributable NOLF games/missions.

21. MuscleHorse says:

I haven’t played either although I did buy the original in an unopened box for 50p at a charity shop. Time to open it up methinks.

22. yabonn says:

“You look like you need a monkey.”

My personal best line evar, I think in the first.

23. One Pigeon says:

Super games as I for one would like to see them both up on GOG.

I believe my old copies are boxed up somewhere but I remember completing the 1st game a good few times and the second only once. The second game was fun but from what I remember suffered from pacing issues during the early Soviet levels but then improved significantly after that.

• ribobura osserotto says:

Frankly, screw GoG. If the rights are nowhere to be found, the whole thing should be declared public domain and given up for free.

• Branthog says:

Except, that’s . . . not how copyright works.

A thing is copyrighted, the moment you create said thing and it expires whenever natural copyright dictates (I forget what it is, these days, but it’s something so obscene as to essentially be meaningless in the term of two or three generations of people). Of course, you can still do whatever you like with the copyrighted stuff, unless and until someone takes you to court over it. However, as John Walker pointed out — that’s also the best way to find out who owns the copyright, because as soon as someone does the work to get it out there (or build something based on it), the owner of that copyright will surface and make haste to court.

• ribobura osserotto says:

75 years according to US law + 20 year extension according to the famous Mickey Mouse bill IIRC, although there’s nothing stopping the current parties from declaring it public domain.

24. apa says:

No One Has Copyrights Forever!

25. platvoet says:

Brings back memories. Me and my friend in high school played that game way too much, to the point where we actually memorized almost every conversation in the game. Those were the days… I know what I will be doing this weekend *dusts of NOLF 1 & 2 discs*

26. Nim says:

Oh come on, No one lives forever 3 set in the 80s has to happen!

27. scorcher24 says:

Make a sequel, see who sues you.
    One way to find out.

28. MOKKA says:

This is one of the occasions where I’m happy that I still got my discs of NOLF 2. I also had the first one, but I gave it to one of my friends in school and never got it back.

I think I might still have a pirated copy of it somewhere…

29. LeMonde says:

Have they checked down the back of the sofa?

Coat pockets maybe?

NOLF 3 please

30. belgand says:

Isn’t there some sort of legal record here? I mean, even if it isn’t possible to just search for it we know when the mergers happened and such so shouldn’t it be possible to go through the records for all the rights holders at each point to see if it changed hands and, if so, to whom?

I mean, if someone does claim to own the rights, how do they verify that? Could we utilize that information to work backwards and find out who they are?

31. rxyz says:

There is a good summary of the situation in a thread in the steam forums: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2249774

Basically, trademarks were owned by Fox (now cancelled as far as I can tell), copyrights, story and charachter rights were owned by Sierra and it is not publically known who owns these currently.

Also, an updated thread: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2552559

• flopjacks says:

In the US, the trademarks were mostly all transferred from FOX to Vivendi in 2007ish, according to the database at USPTO. But they are all listed as cancelled now, which looks like it means something more like ‘expired’ since it just seems to be based on the initial filing only lasting 10 years and nobody having bothered to file a “Section 8″ Affidavit of Use to keep it registered.

• Guvornator says:

It’s a bit depressing Shogo is also in this “legal dead zone”. That was a good game.

32. EBass says:

I don’t know exactly what RPS’ policy on this stuff is, but I think this is one of the situations where no one would be too aggreived if you put on your Johnny Depp hat and got torrenting.

Brilliant games, I don’t know which one I prefer. Both need to be played.

• Skabooga says:

Yes, I’m thinking this is one of those situations perfectly suited for the application of the informal information sharing network.

33. Ernesto25 says:

Dammit i had the 1st one somewhere and loved it but forgotten about it until this post. An often overlooked female protagonist kate archer was and the more i think about it the more it was like deus ex in level design and freedom.

34. mbp says:

I replayed NOLF 2 only last August. The good news is that it installed and ran without problems on a fairly modern Win 7 64 bit machine. The better news is that the cartoony style has held up very well. it still looks great and is great fun to play.

This game really deserve a revival on gog or similar. Best of luck with your search.

35. CptSqweky says:

I’m going to commit heresy and say that Contrack J.A.C.K. wasn’t that bad. It only seemed that bad in comparison to NOLF 1 & 2. Sure, the shooting was uninspired and repetitive, but it still had interesting environments to shoot in and some more than decent dialog. I laughed in more than a few places. It’s biggest problem was being compared to NOLF 1 & 2 which were just so much better than it that it’s flaws, which were many, seemed bigger than they actually were.

• Jason Moyer says:

I tried to replay it a few weeks ago and while I still find it underrated for its humor, it’s really hard to put up with the gunplay (which was never a big strength of NOLF imho) to overhear the next funny conversation. The guard/civilian/scientist/etc chatter that triggered everytime you reached another encounter was probably my favorite part of the entire series, and the reason a walkthrough tends to take a long time since you’re constantly stopping to listen to what are sometimes lengthy conversations.

36. bstard says:

CCAAAAAAAATTTTEEEE?!?!!!??

37. Allenomura says:

There are 3 labelled dead (the last cancelled only last year) records in the US PTO search results. All registered by Fox Interactive, the most recent recorded owner being noted as Vivendi. (So…Activision, right?)
    Could Blizzard have any clue as to what the state of play, re: NOLF is?

I just figure that they’re probably more aware on legal matters. I don’t know how to find out more. :(
    Isn’t there a report on where the various Sierra/Vivendi IP were sent after the companies (were) folded?

38. Berzee says:

The New Adventures of Goddard Williamson and Butler Pierce Craigson will return after a short commercial break!

39. ShineyBlueShoes says:

Such a great game NOLF was. Got it for free with one the first GPU I ever bought.

40. schiapu says:

Just make a fan game with the same name and wait for the C&D from some big company who figures out they have the rights.

41. Michael Fogg says:

I think I saw them just before Christmas, when I was tidying up my desk drawers. Can’t remember where I put them though. Sorry.

42. ResonanceCascade says:

EA used to send out C&Ds for System Shock — including the Von Braun and all the characters — properties which it turns out THEY DIDN’T EVEN FUCKING OWN AND PROBABLY NEVER DID.

So waiting for a cease and desist might not even shed light on anything if the lawyers at Company X are as clueless as EA’s.

43. Lokik says:

Just a few days ago I had been thinking about this groovy game series. Was wondering why there are no sequels or why isn’t it on GOG or something. Happy that RPS reminded us of the series, sad that the rights are gone. :/

44. AlFitz says:

NOLF 2 wasn’t a brilliant game by any means despite having some interesting levels. The stealth gameplay was a bit broken and enemies re-spawned so you couldn’t clear out areas properly. In fact it really got my goat but I played through it as I got it for Christmas at the time.

Tron 2.0 is one of my favourite ever games mind, in fact I’ve had semi lucid dreams about it.

45. ohtorialumna says:

Oh how I miss NOLF and Cate Archer, even though I was complete rubbish at NOLF (which I chalked up to being 17 at the time, but then after reinstalling it a while ago, I discovered am still rubbish at it) and never got the chance to play NOLF2.

Like a lot of people I’ve been waiting for a nostalgia-release of the games (or even a long-overdue sequel), but alas, H.A.R.M. has clearly stolen the rights and Cate hasn’t gotten them back yet.

46. Hahaha says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

47. Bart Stewart says:

For anyone still on the fence about trying either of these, note that one of the weapons available to you in NOLF2 is the “Angry Kitty.”

Also, bad guys get turned into minimally mobile “Man-Crates,” perhaps in a nod to OldManMurray’s “start to crate” review system.

Plus both games feature the rather excellent voice acting of Mr. John Patrick Lowrie.

Why are you not already playing this?

• Dances to Podcasts says:

Also, the snowmobiles are about as fast as the kitties so you can get them to chase you all around the map.

48. Devan says:

Man, I loved those games. I think I still have them installed on some of my machines. I’d love for someone to make a successor, but those are some big, goofy shoes to fill and I think it would be very difficult to pull it off.
    (It’d be hard to even get to Contract JACK level, which doesn’t hold a candle to NOLF)

49. RProxyOnly says:

Surely then if no one can prove they have the rights then anyone could use the ip?

50. DestroyYourEgo says:

Wish this game would come back.

Now THIS is an Archer- not the FX character of the same name.

I think Kate could take Joanna Dark anyday.

Both in Fashion and in battle. Boo ya!

Comment on this story