The Buttocks Of StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm

By Alec Meer on April 9th, 2013 at 1:00 pm.

Zagara visits the gym regularly, clearly

Playing through the StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm campaign this weekend, I couldn’t help but be struck by Blizzard’s equality-minded approach to how it depicts its characters’ hindquarters. I’ve just been through every cutscene again, and screengrabbed every bottom I could spot (barring repeat shots and most of the slow zooms).

Men, women, horrible alien creatures: they all get their bums in the sun at some point. See if you can spot where the game’s noble determination to not objectify its female star, Sarah Kerrigan, really proves itself.

Raynor (civilian clothes):

Cargo Pants? More like Cor, fancy a go at that Pants!

Raynor (military clothes):

Solid steel power armour shows off all of Big Jim’s big curves!

Arcturus Mengsk:

With buns of steel like that he’s less ruler of the Terrans, more ruler of my loins!

Prince Valarian:

The heir to the empire follows his daddy’s tendency to leave nothing to the imagination!

Scientists:

Metal nappies make my heart go boom-boom-boom!

Plane-landing Man:

If it weren’t for that pesky metal hose, we could see *everything!*

A Marine:

Crack soldier, amirite!

Zeratul (rear just off-camera, presumably an accidental oversight):

Show us what’s under that loincloth, prophet-boy!

Matthew Horne & Valarian (rears just off-camera, presumably an accidental oversight):

The mid-length cloak is 2013′s most scandalous look!

Raynor (civilian) and Kerrigan (human):

Whatever Kerrigan can do, Raynor can do better! And fitter!

Kerrigan (human):

Not too busy overthrowing a galactic despot to forget looking good!

Kerrigan (human):

Boldly wearing the same skintight catsuit in both captivity and battle!

Kerrigan (human):

Just because you’ve been brutally experimented on and used as the genetically-modified slave of a madman doesn’t mean you can’t show the universe what matters most!

Kerrigan (human):

Kerri-can, more like!

Kerrigan (human):

Standing in that pose all the time has caused her life-long weakness in her right hip, but she knows looking great’s more important than debilitating joint damage!

Kerrigan (Zergy):

No chitin where it counts!

Kerrigan (Zergy):

2013′s Spring look means scales and spikes everywhere but on T&A!

Kerrigan (Zergy):

Arse of the swarm, if you catch my drift!

Kerrigan (Zergy):

Only a gal like that could pull off the difficult thong-made-of-chitin-exoskeleton look!

Kerrigan (Zergy):

So hot: the curve of the wings matches the curve of her buns perfectly!

Kerrigan (Zergy; rear just off-camera, presumably an accidental oversight):

Stop teasing us, naughty Kerrigan – show us the goods for once!

Ultralisk:

Now that’s a bottom I could marry!

Wow! Hot stuff all round from the men and women of the StarCraft universe!

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Soulstrider says:

Delicious Zerg butts.

2. GallonOfAlan says:

ARSEABOUTFACE

3. Trillby says:

What a load of old arse.

• Trillby says:

I wasn’t all just zergcheeks though. I think Nova got a fair bit of face-…urm…bumtime.

• colossalstrikepackage says:

Careful people. You know this is a tooshie subject…

• Mattressi says:

The chitin thong seems quite glutuitous. It seems like they’re trying to show off the maximus amount allowed without being rated ‘R’.

This was a very cheeky article, Mr Meer.

4. DarkFenix says:

Um. Whut?

5. Dowr says:

Somehow, I can’t think of any bum-related puns.

I could use some assistants.

• Trillby says:

Those cutscenes – they sure knew how to directum.

• Ultra Superior says:

Good anal-ysis Trillby!

Though you should always judge the game as a-hole.

• Jim Rossignol says:

No need to try and start a bun-thread.

• Coccyx says:

A pun thread about arses, eh? How cheeky.

• mjrmua says:

It is a shame to see a strong female lead reduced to being the butt of RPS’s jokes.

• Nim says:

I really don’t think this is about the asses. It’s just an elaborate piss-take.

• c-Row says:

Good to see somebody presenting the bare facts.

• atticus says:

This is too serious an issue to be joking about… someone should properly analyze it.

• Bhazor says:

I hope we get an interview with the project lead.

He should expect to be assed some firm questions.

• Didden says:

I hope somebody puts a plug in this thread.

• Skabooga says:

We ought to respond in hind and moon Blizzard.

• Ultra Superior says:

All fun and jokes, butt there’s a deeper mooning behind them, ass well.

• tossrStu says:

I’ve been reading RPS for years, but, this post is the last straw. John leading the charge against so-called “sexism” is bad enough without Alec bringing up the rear. I don’t think RPS realise just how many of their readers they’re leaving behind. Today is truly the day this site hit rock bottom, and I’m pretty bummed out about it. Well done to Team RPS, your reputations were almost worth salvaging but today you well and truly wrecked ‘em.

• Brun says:

The stealthiest pun.

• tossrStu says:

I do hope it came across that I was joking, and wasn’t just being an arse.

• Brun says:

It may have flown over the heads of some of those less experienced in punnery. I wouldn’t be too worried though. It wasn’t too obscure for an amateur like me to asses.

• The Random One says:

Those puns were so great, you should consider a carrear in it.

• Bob says:

Blizzard is revealing Kerrigan’s vulnerable side by giving her an ASSma attack?

6. Pliqu3011 says:

BUTTFACE

7. BarneyL says:

Why you write about buttoks on a gaming site? Me is outraged.

8. Chalky says:

So you’re saying that she shouldn’t have been made the main character so that she wouldn’t have to appear on the screen so much?

• Alec Meer says:

Or perhaps, like Jim Raynor in WoL, she should have just faced the camera more often.

• Ultra Superior says:

Alec you don’t get it,
        it’s obviously about her BUTT
        erfly wings!

• colossalstrikepackage says:

Or maybe design her character with a little more tact?

• Chalky says:

I think you’re doing more to feed people who say you’re nit picking than you’re doing to point out the over sexualisation of women in this franchise. Kerrigan being basically naked for most of the game isn’t a camera angle issue and I don’t think you would consider it problem solved if she faced the camera more.

This article feels like some sort of comment troll honeypot. I don’t know what you’re doing.

• Jim Rossignol says:

> I don’t know what you’re doing.

Laughing at something. Because, you know, it’s funny.

• Chalky says:

Well, fair enough.

Alec told me it was “an article for people who can think” prior to blocking me on twitter for asking that exact question.

I prefer your answer.

Also Alec, I really wasn’t trying to upset you with my question on twitter so my apologies for any offence caused.

• Alec Meer says:

when someone makes exactly the same aggressive and thoughtless claim in two places within moments of each other, I don’t really want to chat with them, oddly.

• Ultra Superior says:

Keep smiling, stupid. :-)))

• Jim Rossignol says:

My feeling is that making jokes can make serious points.

That Mr Meer does both is to his credit.

• Chalky says:

Like I said, I’m sorry – I didn’t mean to appear aggressive, I’m just concerned that this article might negatively affect what is an obviously important stance against sexism in games. Maybe I’m wrong.

I enjoy reading your twitter feed and I would love to continue reading it, but it’s your call.

*edit* thanks :)

• SuicideKing says:

Of course it isn’t a camera angle issue.

He dropped the biggest hint here:

9. Obc says:

so you wanna see pants on kerrigan or is what you really want some shots of Raynor in a thong?

10. Jim Rossignol says:

Phwoarcraft, eh lads?

11. Deano2099 says:

One the other hand, this is the only AAA game I can think of that passes the Bechdel test. Ever.

• Blackseraph says:

Now now, dragon age 1+2 and Baldur’s gate 2 passes that too at least. also Mass effects, some of them at least.

edit. come to think of it Bioware is fairly good in this subject.

• karthink says:

Jade Empire too, by the skin of its teeth.

Actually, Bioware’s writing is Bechdel tested by the lead writer on the project. From Gaider’s blog, it appears it’s something they’ve formalized.

In fact, Planescape: Torment also passes, but I count it as a fail. (It’s a conversation between Fall From Grace and a curio shop owner)

• Blackseraph says:

I didn’t know that, thanks. I knew there was a reason I like Bioware (still) so much.

• lofaszjoska says:

Christ, that’s awful. I mean, if your game does feature prominent female characters and it still fails the test, it’s safe to say that your writers stink bad.
          Adding lines just so that your game passes it only adds insult to injury.

• Blackseraph says:

Considering how often movies and games fails this simple test, this is not really fair.

At least Bioware takes it seriously, as should other developers and studios.

• phlebas says:

It passes but you count it as a fail? How does that work?

• Ergates_Antius says:

The second female is an inconsequential side character, not really a named plot character.

• karthink says:

Vrischika and FFG are both ‘tanarri’, creatures of the same alignment.

Vrischika insults FFG because of her time spent with the lawful evil types. FFG says she’s still a tanarri. That’s it.

(BTW, PS:T is so huge that I’m unlikely to have seen every conversation between female characters.)

• Bhazor says:

Planescape is affected because every conversation involves the main character who is male.

• Deano2099 says:

Do the Bioware games still pass if you don’t opt to play as a female PC?

• Blackseraph says:

Your companions in those games have fairly regular talks, so yes.

• Frypan Jack says:

Bioware generally does things well, but congratulating someone for “formalizing” the Bechdel test seems a bit much to me. Its such a hilariously low threshold to cross that its the equivalent of pinning a medal on someone for remembering to put on trousers. Just because you are the only one who remembered to do it doesn’t make you a hero.

• karthink says:

Did it come across as me congratulating Bioware on “formalizing” the process? It wasn’t a compliment.

• Blackseraph says:

Fine, but noticing that there are studios that actually care about stuff like this is just refreshing.

• Groove says:

I don’t know, putting on trousers isn’t that big an achievement in itself, but if, like you say, everyone else has forgotten to put on trousers, then suddenly it seems like a pretty big deal.

• Frypan Jack says:

True, I suppose. But to continue the metaphor a bit further, it’ll be nice when everyone just remembers to put on their damn trousers and we don’t have to look at people’s dangly bits all day long.

• Strabo says:

Aside the fact that I find the Bechdel test one of the most stupid things (have two women who get raped, tortured and murdered in a movie, but as long as they had a dialogue beforehand not involving a man like talking about buying shoes the movie is in the clear!), there are actually tons of games which easily pass it. Tomb Raider last month for example. Bioshock:Infinite this month.

• Deano2099 says:

I kinda agree, my point was more that in Heart of the Swarm, Kerrigan’s main adviser is also female (albeit Zerg), so there’s a lot of dialogue between two women throughout the game. Other games technically pass the test, but I can’t think of any other game that does this unless being a female PC is optional.

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

I don’t think this is the point of the test at all. Nothing’s to be considered, “in the clear,” it’s just that with this test you can see how seldomly such a thing occurs.

• Blackseraph says:

Bechdel test is simply a test of female presence in a media. And as such it is perfectly fine. Perhaps you are expecting for it to be something else entirely?

• SpiceTheCat says:

The point of the Bechdel test isn’t that it’s a mark of quality, but that it’s a pathetically low bar to pass, and that films/tv programmes/games/whatever still fail it. Passing is the equivalent of successfully writing your name at the top of the exam paper. Necessary but a long way short of sufficient.

• Gap Gen says:

The fact that Starcraft II passes it is a pretty good example that something that is carelessly sexist can still pass it. It’s not the only guarantor of gender equality in media.

• Merus says:

The Bechdel Test, like most of feminism, seems petty and meaningless when you take individual examples, but individual examples aren’t as important as the trends.

The point of the Bechdel Test is that you have to think about whether or not something passes. It will have served its purpose when the assumption is that everything passes and then we have to think about whether it actually doesn’t.

• Dances to Podcasts says:

The Bechdel test comes from a comic. It’s something that illustrates a point. Not some kind of scientific measurement.

• darkChozo says:

Does Bioshock pass the Bechdel test? Unless we’re counting incidental NPC dialogue, there wasn’t much chance for women to speak to each other – Elizabeth and Fitzroy is the only one I can think of, and that was more of a three way “conversation” between them and Booker.

Honestly, the Bechdel test is a bit flawed for video games, because it’s hard to have only-female conversations when your “camera” is a man’s eyes. Not that it excuses anything, it just seems significantly less useful than in movies etc.

• AlKaPwn says:

You’re making the implication that if rape/torture/ murder happens a woman that it is somehow sexist and this is what makes the Bechdel test ridiculous, but as horrible as it is, having a woman be raped, tortured or murdered is not inherently sexist. Look at Alan Moore comics for instance, some of those things happen all at once to the women in his books, but it’s not sexist, it’s done to raise a serious point.

• Gap Gen says:

Sure, well there’s always context, and then you can do things satirically. But the point that a thing can pass the test and still be sexist is valid.

• Oozo says:

If I remember correctly, The Witcher 2, of all things, passes the test as well, thanks to (cat-)fighting, all-powerful sorceresses.

Edit: But to point out the obvious — the test was not made with a focus on which games/movies/whatever DO pass, but to sensitizing for how many don’t.

• lofaszjoska says:

Just what I was going to say, and that’s the game concerned gamers will lash out at at every chance they get.

• karthink says:

The Witcher 2? Really? The Witcher gets a bad rap (and rightly so), but I thought most people agreed that Witcher 2 was reasonably tasteful in this regard.

The only gratuitous, out of place scene in that game I remember was when I walked in on Phillipa Eilhart and her aide.

• Moni says:

I’d say barely passes. Most of Kerrigan’s dialogue is moaning about her dead boyfriend, or the man who killed her boyfriend.

• karthink says:

The Bechdel test isn’t really much of a measure of anything when the protagonist (or PC) is female.

• Deano2099 says:

You’d think that but you’d be surprised.

There’s definitely very few games where the lead is female, and the lead adviser character is also female. Other games technically pass, but what I was getting at is it’s the first game I remember playing where most of the plot is driven forwards through dialogue between two women.

I exaggerated in my initial post, but I’m just trying to follow the example RPS is encouraging.

• Fluka says:

Here’s a nice little inventory right here:
      (And also a nice proof that Bechdel passing != good female characters.)
      Also, Mirror’s Edge, wheee.

12. Brosepholis says:

I think the bigger scandal is how utterly bloody awful the writing in this game is. Seriously, there are episodes of He-Man with more pathos than this dreck.

• bfandreas says:

Umm. This is an RTS that has a lot gameplay and the story is only thrown in because…well, why not.

Playing an RTS for the story is like buying Playboy for the articles. Although there have been very good Playboy articles. Hunter S Thompson was published in it.

Although his state of undress is as of yet unknown.

• Guvornator says:

Warcraft 3 had some very good writing IMHO. Not all the way through, but some of it was brilliant.

• jrodman says:

Are you sure that isn’t your age at the time talking? I found the warcraft 3 writing so painful I stopped playing the game because of it.

• mouton says:

I agree, the Warcraft 3 campaign made me cringe. The whole human part was about a teenager getting cursed for eternity because he was angry at his father.

• RaveTurned says:

This sounds a lot like the argument CoD players apply to FPSes to excuse the poor quality of the tacked-on single player campaigns – that playing shooter games for the story is pointless, and multi-player is what the genre is built for. Then along come games like Bioshock that prove that their argument is bullshit – maybe some shooters are shallow, but not all.

Just because it’s true for a prominent game in the genre doesn’t mean it applies to all games in the genre. There are already RTSs out there that have done story well. Guvornator mentioned Warcraft 3, and I’d cite Homeworld.

• mouton says:

There is nothing that prevents a game from having a good writing along its core gameplay elements. It has been proven only, like, many times.

Also, hiring a professional team of voice actors and cutscene designers is not a “thrown in because why not”.

• Groove says:

I kinda disagree actually. Obviously the writing isn’t great, but in HotS I thought it was pretty brief and servicable. WoL was truely awful because there was a lot more of it, and they tried to do a lot more with it (and failed).

13. Gap Gen says:

I want to give those ultralisk buns some ultralicks, if you know what I mean.

I mean I want to lick their buns a lot.

14. Visualante says:

I wanted to rub Bonjela all over her.

15. Snids says:

Well I for one am entirely convinced that men and women are objectified entirely equally in this game. I will angrily rebuff anyone that says otherwise.

• Ultra Superior says:

The powerarmour. So sexual.

Yes, that might explain my lifelong love for WH40K. But then, I rather dislike Starcraft. It’s too shallow.

• Mordsung says:

The nice thing about WH40k is that even the women in form fitting armor have an equal chance of being torn to shreds by bolter fire, choppas, or tyranid claws… or melted with plasma, or obliterated with necron gauss… or torn apart by some horrible chaos demon… you get the picture.

16. TheTourist314 says:

So is this just a subtle remark on why it hasn’t been WIT’d yet because it’s just ass?

17. MuscleHorse says:

I was going to get this butt ockouldn’t afford it.

I’m well aware that doesn’t really work.

• Ultra Superior says:

I laughed a bit, so in rectospective, it did work.

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

I misreared your reply and thought you ended the pun thread

18. Zeewolf says:

Hm, so we never got to see Nova’s butt? Unfair.

19. Ianuarius says:

Jim Raynor’s ass = fan service

• Gap Gen says:

Does he say at any point “I’ve got the package?” and then turn around to face the player. Because he should.

20. Drake Sigar says:

Abrams likes lens flare, Bay likes helicopters against a sunrise, Blizzard likes low shots from the perspective of the floor. It’s a great idea, I’ve always wondered what the floor would be thinking at any particular moment.

21. Milky1985 says:

[Deleted because apparently arguing about the point of the article is not getting into the spirit of the apparent "joke"]

• Jim Rossignol says:

Oh my god. Have a sense of humour.

• Milky1985 says:

Its funny to spoil major twists in a game? Oh cool I’ll get my Bioshock Infinite ending info ready!

Alec obviously has a point hes trying to make or he wouldn’t have made the article :/

• Jim Rossignol says:

Yes, he has a point to make. And it made me laugh. As it should.

You really don’t get why this is funny?

• Ultra Superior says:

Quickly, laugh! Laugh aloud! The fun police is watching!! Haha! Ha..

• Dunbine says:

Who could expect an article that states it will be comprised of screenshots from cutscenes in the game might contain spoilers?

Not I, thats for sure!

• colossalstrikepackage says:

Outraged at gentle mocking of objectifying character design of main female character? Yes. So much like the Daily Mail.

EDIT: Daily Mail my arse. Sorry I couldn’t p-ass up the opportunity.

• Vorphalack says:

Kerrigans face is about as bad as her arse. Botoxed up to the eyeballs, pouting and perfectly smooth, it’s like the mental image of a 14 year old boy who has only ever seen women in porn mags.

• Totally heterosexual says:

I HAVE THE RIGHT TO TELL HOW THIS SITE SHOULD WRITE ABOUT GAMES

BECAUSE

• Milky1985 says:

I have a right to say that I dislike how they are writing something (they can delete the posts here if they want to because its a private forum but i can still post it elsewhere) just as they have the right to write how they want about something.

Freedom of speech applies to both parties or is that idea too much for your black and white world?

• El_Emmental says:

We do not have a freedom of speech policy here

You can voice your opinion, just don’t expect the writers to go all “oh sorry we’ll never do that again”.

Edit: ironically, one of my comment on this very article, is one of the few who got deleted, because it talked about something that shouldn’t be talked about in public… involving carbonated soft drinks, seasoned tortilla chips and a hashtag.

• The Evil Moose says:

I prefer this kind of snarky satire much more to massive articles that get posted here but still don’t say much more than a screenshot of Kerrigan’s butt does. I don’t mind long articles about sexism in gaming, as long as its actually saying something meaningful about sexism in gaming, instead of just saying “this is a problem that exists” and spreading it over several paragraphs.

-Oops, meant to post this a new post instead of a reply

• mouton says:

They can never take our FREEEEDOOOOOOOOOM

• Drake Sigar says:

I get the feeling if I ever leave RPS, it’ll be the ‘fans’ that will have driven me out, not the articles.

• Mordsung says:

Dude, it’s the opinions of sacks of meat and piss, of which there are 8 billion, on the internet.

RPS has a block feature, use it.

One should never be afraid to use block and ignore functions when provided, they make the internet a lot cleaner as they allow you to decided which bags of meat and piss you bother listening to/reading.

• Splynter says:

RPS hasn’t gone downhill, in fact, I’d wager it’s even better now than it ever used to be. If anything, the site’s growing popularity has resulted in some vile commenting. I skip way more of the comments than I used to.

• Earl-Grey says:

Indeed. The comments section has gotten much busyer over the years, which is good.
          However the tide of really quite excellent people does appear to have washed a couple of undesireable creatures ashore. I guess it is unavoidable.
          I just wish they’d stop pissing on our tappestries and shitting in our guestbook and proclaiming it a violation of human rights whenever the keepers of Castle Shotgun decide it’s time to scrape away the foulest feces.

The comments have always been a highlight on RPS.
          They still are, it’s just that some of them have started making me groan with despair and that makes me awfully tired. So, so tired.

On a side note; goodness, typing on these tablet things can be a massive chore.

• Dances to Podcasts says:

On the other hand, both posts and comments don’t exist in isolation. They do influence each other. The way a post is constructed influences what kind of discussion will happen in the comments. And we now have posts that are basically responses to comments as well.
          Of course, some things cannot be avoided, but the effect exists and the writer does have a responsibility in this respect.

22. zachforrest says:

How about that carapace! and them wing casings!

I’d snog(?) that all night. Right lads?

Twit twoo.

23. Screamer says:

While on the err.. “buttcheck’t” (didn’t really work sorry), wheres the WIT? I liked it, would like the Hivemind’s opnion :)

• Alec Meer says:

WIT of the singleplayer (which I very much enjoyed the game elements of) up tomorrow, but I’m not sure we’ll be able to cover multiplayer I’m afraid.

• Dances to Podcasts says:

It better include a ‘I like Starcraft 2 game elements and I cannot lie’ joke.

24. Kefren says:

I finished Wings of Liberty last week, and thought it was silly that the zerg overmind had chosen to rebuild Kerrigan with stillettos. It just makes it so hard to take anything seriously. Why undermine your own story with such silliness? The buttocks are the same. I declare this as BUTTOCKGATE.

• TreuloseTomate says:

StarCraft has always been cheesy scifi.

• Kefren says:

Cheesy, yes, but consistent within its own world. Zerg having fashion fetishes doesn’t even fit within its own paradigm.

• Groove says:

The zerg stilettos are my least favourite thing about all of Starcraft. Cringingly embaressing.

For every minute of the campaign I hoped that when Kerrigan re-zerged she’d have lost the heels, but to no avail.

• Phantom_Renegade says:

Agreed, the stilettos bother me a lot more then the t&a. At least that is somewhat justified lorewise. The ridiculous heels? Not so much.

Also SPOILER!!!:

Not kidding guys, final cutscene spoiler:

I really hate that Kerrigan is a badass the entire game except for the final couple of minutes where again she requires Jim to save her. Finally, a strong female character…oh wait, not enough damsel in distress. That just ruined things for me.

• Alec Meer says:

Yeah, I laughed at the screen in disbelief when that happened. Also at how Bionic Eye Pirate Woman talks exclusively about fancying Horne.

• Phantom_Renegade says:

That was also ridiculous, she’s supposed to be the most dangerous pirate in the galaxy, but one wink from horner and the deal is sealed? Great job writing guys…no really, take the rest of the franchise off.

• TreuloseTomate says:

You mean saved by Jim who has been a damsel himself for the rest of the game and had to be saved by Kerrigan?

• Milky1985 says:

No that’s fine, that’s different!

• WoundedBum says:

Yeah, while the article is pretty right I don’t think she turns out to be a damsel in distress, she is one of the most powerful people and saves Jim/gets rid of Warfield and others lives are generally decided by her. I think it was crap writing, but I don’t think her having to be helped once undoes how powerful she is for the rest of the game.

It’s more a trope of superpowerful person getting weakened, as someone pointed out below.

• Gap Gen says:

Jim may be a fugitive with no real power in the game world except as someone continuously running away from everything else, but his story arc isn’t defined by being rescued from himself, if I remember correctly. Plus the end bit where he carries her into the sunset is really shitty, but like WB says, I accept that this could just be down to Blizzard being terrible rather than an overt plot to denigrate women.

EDIT: Wait, are we talking about WoL or HotS, because these endings sound very similar, and I haven’t played HotS.

• Jeremy says:

@GapGen,
            We’re talking about HotS. The endings are pretty different actually, with Kerrigan not being carted off into the sunset at the end. It was a situation where she was superficially weakened, and then Jim comes in and basically tilts the odds in their favor.

• Gap Gen says:

Ah, OK, from what people were saying it sounded like the endings were the same, so I was confuse.

• Jeremy says:

It just seemed like a “kryptonite” moment. In all fairness, Jim had also been saved by Kerrigan, and that ending was more of a trope than a commentary on sexism in my opinion. Super powerful hero gets weakened, friend/companion/lover comes in at the last second to help. Then hero melts bad guy with her mind. Wait.. that’s not part of the trope is it?

• TreuloseTomate says:

It’s also a rare case of a strong female protagonist having a heterosexual relationship, even if it’s just a silly comic book story. But some people just want to see sexism everywhere around a female character because that’s the thing now.
          I smiled when the Hyperion landed in the final mission. Jim and Kerrigan just make a good team. Some people take this way too seriously.

• wizardofauz says:

I was fine with the Hyperion landing and Jim helping out in the final battle. Thats all good, he helps a bit but Kerrigan is clearly the driving force in that mission. Hell, I was helping jim out far more than I wanted to there. Its in the last cutscene where the second most powerful being in the universe (according to the lore thus far) doesn’t stab out at the detonator or move in telekenetically or stab Mengsk and basically had to have Jim come in and save her before she could kill Mengsk. That was lame and dumb imo.

• Jeremy says:

I agree that it is lame and dumb, but not as a result of sexism. Writing is about conflict and tension, unfortunately they used a tired old trope to try and create the drama in that last scene.

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

Those are probably special heal-daggers for her finishing move

• Fluka says:

Queen of Blades: defeated when she rolls her ankle.

• Henson says:

If you watch Dustin Browder’s GDC talk from 2011, he states that the team intentionally made the story and characters in SC2 ridiculous and over-the-top because it makes it easier for the audience to form an emotional connection to them.

I am so not joking.

• AlKaPwn says:

Other ways they help people connect, turn the only black guy from sc1 into a white guy, then kill him, and also kill off the only black guy who is a successful general.

25. saginatio says:

You should do similar analysis of 5th element.

PS I’m really worried about direction RPS is taking. I understand that you have your opinions and it is natural you want to defend them. Its just I want this to be a gaming site with personal flavor, not a puristic site about gender inequality in games. I am afraid if this continues, RPS will be just another political blog.
    To be perfectly clear: I don’t criticize your point of view. In fact I agree with you, at least partially. I just want to read fun notes with puns about games on this site and not get enraged by zealous social believes.

• mraston says:

I’m worried too, I just want to hear about interesting PC games.

• Alec Meer says:

Perhaps if you spent more time reading the rest of the site and less time leaving miserable comments on posts you don’t want to read, you’d find those things. What with the whole ‘we post about loads of PC games every day” thing.

• mraston says:

Hey, I read the site every day and have done for some years. I’m not going to comment “Great Job” on every article I enjoy reading but when I feel things are going into a weird direction, I’m going to say something. Isn’t that what a comment section is for?

• cocoleche says:

Yes, a one-off feature about Kerrigans butt signals an editorial shift. Hyperbole much?

• jalf says:

So, am I reading you correctly, that you’re fine with misogyny in videogames, as long as no one brings it to your attention?

I think, with attitudes like those, it might need *more* attention, not less.

By the way, I don’t know why you can’t do it, but I’m actually finding it rather easy to locate posts about interesting PC games.

Do you get a different front page than the one I’m seeing? Because what I see is 11 posts on the front page, 10 of which are about “interesting PC games”, and then this one.

Can you really not tolerate 1/11th of the content being about something other than “interesting PC games”? Really?

• colossalstrikepackage says:

This. Such single minded dedication to perfection on somebody else’s blog is what we should all strive for. Never mind the real issue of sexism. It makes us real gaming men uncomfortable, so stop writing about it at all. Even if it is a fraction of a fraction of a percent. Damn you RPS, why can’t we just go back to the good old days of yore?!

• Rapzid says:

What does her butt have to do with the M word? I love it and I love her for it. Nothing but love here man.

• Milky1985 says:

The reason people are worried is because its starting to be noticeable at times. Hell the article directly before this one uses the word “misogyny” in the second sentence!

• cocoleche says:

If that’s sarcasm that’s way too subtle for the gaming community.

• Ergates_Antius says:

Oh no! People are starting to notice! We don’t want thatA Better stop talking about it. Shhhhhh

• saginatio says:

“miserable comments”?!

Isn’t this argument a bit too ad hominem for a respected jurnalist?

• Alec Meer says:

as in, comments by people who feel unhappy. You silly! (Now *there’s* an ad hominem.)

• cocoleche says:

So you’ve already run out of arguments then? (this was directed at saginactio)

• saginatio says:

Since the article hints dissatisfaction with status quo there is an exponent hidden:

It is an miserable comment under a miserable article.

• Dances to Podcasts says:

Speaking of ignoring posts, due to the fact that it’s you writing this post you are sabotaging people with the ‘ignore John’ thingy. ;)

• Gap Gen says:

Frankly I just want to look at buttocks all day.

• Gwyddelig says:

Um. Did you not see the 240,000,000 other articles hereabouts that even the most strident would say are about the games and just the games?

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

I’d like more of this flavor, myself.
      Keep pushing the issue. If you can do it in a humorous way then that’s awesome.

• Dunbine says:

Exactly.

Like some, I’m a bit tired of the soapbox moralizing of late; I mean, I did go to university and all. But this article is a perfect example of how to highlight important issues in a way that that doesn’t involve beating overly sensitive people over the head.

Or at least, the beating is done with a nerf bat or something.

• TillEulenspiegel says:

Along those lines, the booth babes piece is probably the best thing on RPS ever.

• Groove says:

Yeah, +1 this. Raising serious issues in a humorous way is definitely the right way to go about it.

• MeestaNob says:

Agreed.

I come here for the fascinating views on games, gaming, and PC related stuff.

Whilst I dislike the objectification of women and the inherent inequalities of the industry, I’m getting really sick of the relentless preaching and politically correct point scoring the staff have taken to injecting the articles with in the past few months.

To bang on about the subject in such a manner seems as childish as to go “whey-hay boobies” every time a scantily clad female appears on your computer screen. I really don’t like the editorial direction the site has taken.

• Llewyn says:

“I dislike the objectification of women but I hate that people want to talk about it and wish they’d just leave me alone to ignore that and continue to enjoy it.”

Note: I apologize if this is just a case of you not expressing yourself quite as you intended and therefore me misinterpreting.

• MeestaNob says:

A conversation about it would be nice, but it feels like the debate has been woven through every third or fourth article on the site of late.

It’s tiresome, I just want to read about video games and if people like them or not.

Sorry if that’s unreasonable.

• Blackseraph says:

You don’t actually have to read articles that you don’t want to.

You do realise this, right?

But some people (me at least) are interested in these kind of articles as well. Well not this one since this is clearly a joke.

• c-Row says:

Not having to read the articles won’t solve the issue of the people writing them spending less time writing the articles he would like to read, though.

• Blackseraph says:

That’s not unreasonable argument at all. Write only stuff I want to read! ME ME.

No one can be that dense.

• c-Row says:

Everybody wants to read the stuff he likes most.

• Blackseraph says:

Sure but they have no right to force writers to write what they want to read.

• TillEulenspiegel says:

That kind of logic is routinely mocked here when it’s about people who paid £5-10 for an indie game trying to dictate the development or even just demand faster updates.

It’s even sillier when you’ve either paid nothing to RPS or simply given them a small donation. There was never any agreement or implication that they’d do anything but spend their time how they want and write exactly what they want.

There are thousands of other PC gaming sites on the net. If you don’t like RPS, go read them.

• Alec Meer says:

In fact, we currently (bar occasional days when people are away) write and post more articles than ever before, and that will very probably continue to rise as, in time, we hopefully expand our headcount. We keep finding ourselves with a wealth of posts scheduled, and hopefully that’s going to free us all up to write more long-form stuff across all of PC gaming.

So the belief that there is less coverage of games-as-games is empirically wrong, and most likely stems from some readers experiencing a strongly negative reaction to any mention of gender and games.

• Splynter says:

Possible new RPS expansion, revealed exclusively here! Heart of the Hive-mind, with Cara-gan as the rumoured new protagonist!

• c-Row says:

I don’t think anybody wants to “force” the RPS staff to do anything (bar the occasional fetish) but I don’t see why people shouldn’t be allowed giving feedback regarding the choice of articles the site offers. “Go somewhere else if you don’t like it” is a rather weak response and an unnecessarily passive-agressive reaction in my opinion.

• TillEulenspiegel says:

“Go somewhere else if you don’t like it” is a rather weak response

This complaint has been repeatedly heard and rejected. What other options do you have?

If I didn’t like the content of a site, I would stop reading it. When I discover that people with blogs or twitters or whatever are bigoted assholes, I quickly cut them out of the list of things I read.

I find it very strange that people are staying and whining. It’s pointless noise that helps no one. You know it’s not going to change, so please stop.

• Blackseraph says:

@ c-Row

Complaining that there are articles that he personally doesn’t want to read, is not truly useful feedback.

Rps is not just catering to people like him.

• c-Row says:

It’s just as useful as standing up proclaiming “We don’t want you to portray women in games the way you do” – and yet we do it, even though the suits probably just shrug and say “Go play something else then, we make enough money from all the other customers. We don’t cater to gamers like you”. Don’t we want our feedback to get heard?

• tikey says:

“It’s tiresome, and not only makes me regret coming here but also regret being a gamer. All this bullshit makes me feel guilty for enjoying games and that is NOT what I want from my hobby of choice. As a result of reading articles here it just feels like I’ve picked the wrong form of entertainment.”

I think that’s awesome. It should be like that. You should feel bad for all the stuff that’s wrong in our hobby and hopefully try to do something (tell the game developers that it’s portrayal of women is shameful for example) instead of burying your head in the sand.

26. cocoleche says:

CGI butt = best butt. Kerrigan has been my waifu for a long time, and I’m glad RPS finally shows her bum the respect it deserves.

27. cocoleche says:

Also I’m really worried RPS will only write about butts from now on :( (I mean yay!)

28. GernauMorat says:

Funny with a point. I like it

29. Jorum says:

Never played starcraft so can someone explain if there is any in-game reason she walks around effectively naked all the time? Because it’s ridiculous behavior unless it’s a deliberate ploy or a symptom of some psychological oddities.

• colossalstrikepackage says:

The ‘writers’ never even bothered to try. :(

• Stijn says:

Not really. Kerrigan is a ghost, and ghosts wear form-fitting armor, but as for her zerg form – pretty much all other zerg creatures in the game have no smooth body surface at all (unless it’s an acid-filled membrane near the point of bursting or something), so that doesn’t really make any sense.

• Obc says:

Kerrigan (human) has a body tight spacesuit because…..female spacesuits have to be bodytight or else…….SHUT UP

Kerrigan (zerg) has no chitin over her butt coz chitin wouldnt be soft enough to bend/move/wiggle along with her cheeks. It would have to be so intricate and fine woven that they might break easily.

but thats just a half-scientific guess. most of the space suits in sci-fi have a metal thong and the rest made of cloth around the ass/groin area. sometimes the metal thong is just some metal in front of the groin and some on the back and the rest made of some cloth-like fiber for exactly that reason. the whole area has to be move/bendable.

but why Kerrigan (zerg) isnt wearing any pants at all is because…..HER CHITIN ZERG STILETTOS WONT FIT……..

• El_Emmental says:

That isn’t fully accurate. As Stijn mentionned just above your comment, Ghost are stealth units and wear bodysuits (whatever is their gender), mostly because it makes them look like ninjas (who needed custom-made tight clothing to not slow down their movements).

HOWEVER, the bodysuit doesn’t have to show the buttocks that much (and it’s too tight to allow free movements), and have no reason to have a thong right in the middle of it (that’s extremely silly and offensive, and exploiting the ninja-ghost suit to oversexualize a character).

Regarding the Zerg Kerrigan, it’s yet another terrible character design, made by overly stupid artists or executives (forcing the artists to do such a cheap job). There should be an articulated system of armor plates, allowing fast movement while protecting the thigh from any attacks.

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

She’s not naked, she’s wearing heels!

• Gap Gen says:

Because Blizzard is carelessly and institutionally sexist, or at least courts the horny teenage boy market to the detriment of getting as far away from the 1950s as physically possible.

• Dances to Podcasts says:

[Citation needed]

• Gap Gen says:

Well, the ending of WoL, Kerrigan’s costume versus everyone else in the game. Granted, it’s not a single-minded purpose, but it crops up now and then (somewhere a little above Stephen Moffat sexism, but below Daily Mail sexism). Note that I haven’t played HotS, so can’t comment on its content beyond what I’ve seen in pictures + videos.

• Dances to Podcasts says:

Your comment referred to Blizzard institutionally, though. You are aware they make more games than just Starcraft?

• Jamesworkshop says:

I think the idea is like Dr. Manhattan from Watchmen, a lack of human concerns.

30. baladec says:

Also, why does she wear heels into battle?

31. Mr. Mister says:

I anyone on any cutscene depicted putting it to some use by… sitting?

32. zachforrest says:

This sort of stuff combined with John’s more challenging (i find them so) articles is a good approach.

33. engion3 says:

I enjoy these posts RPS.

34. Strabo says:

It’s fitting cinematography to a comic book story. Comic books loooove the shot between a women’s legs or hovering slightly behind her spandex clad… behind. I hope they had a meeting about it with Metzen demanding more buttcheek shots to fit his cheesy story.

35. singateco says:

Butts.
    #1reasonwhy

36. douknoukem says:

where were you when miranda was wearing the tightest pants possible displaying the finest bottom we could see in the mass effect universe?

• Moni says:

That bit made me laugh out loud when you’re having a conversation with Miranda, then for no reason it just cuts to a massive close-up of her arse.

37. Moraven says:

As many pics of staring at female bodies as More From The Web!

Now to do a comparison to Wings of Liberty cutscenes and see how much Raynor butt we get.

38. Jamesworkshop says:

Bums Of Liberty, takes it’s ques from Hideo kojima

buns of the patriots

- We need the “Fox” engine sooner rather than later

-everyone loves arse

Zerg (bum) rush is the best tactic

39. razaron says:

Izsha is my waifu. This article needs more Izsha.

40. caulder says:

So inetad of commenting on how crap the whole thing is, or how Blizzard have managed to fleece consumers by charging an almost full retail price for what is a rather small expansion pack, RPS is keeping with the pattern set by John “if you wanted ME3′s endings changed you’re a fart” Walker and it’s instead going for unfunny, passive-aggressive pot-shots without having to actually criticize the game’s, well, gameplay.

RPS used to be the only source I trusted for PC gaming, especially after it stood by Rab Florence’s side when he dared actually be critical of the industry. I suppose it makes sense how rarely he was actually published here as opposed to how often we’re seeing these trite attempts to seem enlightened in the face of fanservice: criticizing only fanservice won’t harm this lovely frame of publisher-paid ads.

• Vorphalack says:

”WIT of the singleplayer (which I very much enjoyed the game elements of) up tomorrow”

That’s a quote from Alec on page 3. Calm down, it’s coming.

• cocoleche says:

Yeah I really hate it when journalists dare associate video games with social issues. It’s not like this is a mass medium or anything.

• Ergates_Antius says:

” I suppose it makes sense how rarely he was actually published here as opposed to how often we’re seeing these trite attempts to seem enlightened in the face of fanservice: criticizing only fanservice won’t harm this lovely frame of publisher-paid ads”

That (very long) sentence makes literally no sense what-so-ever.

Just because you don’t give a shit about an issue doesn’t mean that it isn’t important and that other people don’t want to read it. If you don’t like it being discussed here, there are plenty of other places on the internet where you won’t be bothered by it.

• Dances to Podcasts says:

You could at least wait for the Wot I Think before complaining.

41. Kandon Arc says:

Well I for one am glad that RPS has taken such a principled stand and will obviously refuse to cover a game that objectivises women to such a degree. Bravo RPS, leading by example!

• Rapzid says:

I think they are having a laugh about it, not suggesting it’s “wrong” to show lots of her butt.

• karthink says:

Wait, what? Alec’s WIT on this game is going to be up tomorrow. They are very much covering it.

• Kandon Arc says:

That’s my point. If RPS wants games to become less sexist, just making a snarky post is not going to make anyone change their mind. They should match their rhetoric and actually refuse to cover games that are sexist like this, otherwise they’re just having their cake and eating it too.

• elgonzo says:

If RPS want to be serious about taking a stand against sexism, they should mark down games they perceive as sexist, while making the reason clear; something along the lines: “This game has all the awesome graphics, but it ultimately sucks like hell because of sexism.”

In my opinion, they should not strictly refuse to review those games (unless there are only a few of them). I guess, beside getting a laugh and a facepalm from the comments, people visit RPS to read and inform themselves about certain games. If they figure, that they might not find info about a game they have been so successfully hyped over the last couple of months until they have forgotten the name of their parents, then they will probably just turn their backs on RPS. Not good…

42. bleeters says:

What, no banelings? Their butts are the best.

43. biggergun says:

No outrage, no flame war, no one is telling anyone to fuck off, everyone feels pity for the idiot who directed the cinematics. Amazing what a calm tone and a lack of hysterical holier-than-thou SJW attitude can achieve in journalism.

• Ultra Superior says:

+1 !! You’ve described exactly how I feel.

Exposing the stupidity, making fun of the close mindedness and tastelessness, shallowness and abundance of clichés and obsolete tropes in games is the best way to instill a positive change.

44. altum videtur says:

Come on now. This is almost as ridiculous as the scantily clad woman at the beginning of the article talking about RPS’s stance on the issue of Gender&Women was. Seems kinda hypocritical too, plastering all that Kerrigan butt all over your article.
    Stop making a cause I believe in look petty and ridiculous.
    “Look here! This is bad! We’re totally right you guys!”
    Yeah. You are totally right, and this is bad.
    It’s also pointless making an article for the sole purpose of attempting to justify your cause (a cause that, since it is about providing a basic human liberty, namely that you shouldn’t have to feel uncomfortable because your gender is obnoxiously and cringeworthily objectified in a medium, needs no justification other than itself) to what you seem to be assuming is an audience of morons.
    Please. Don’t do this.
    Should RPS keep talking about this issue? Yeah.
    Should they at least attempt to keep their level of dignity above “hurrrrrrrr look here an example”? Yeah.
    Don’t shoot the fucking message by making the way it is presented ridiculous, you guise.

• frightlever says:

Well sure but violence in games doesn’t turn gamers into murderers so why do buttocks in games turn us into patriarchal ass-holes? I’m pretty sure I was hard-coded to be a patriarchal ass-hole long before I picked up that Binatone pong machine.

As a joke article it’s fine. Makes its point. Coulda slapped a censored sticker over each of the butts to really drive it home I guess.

• Ergates_Antius says:

The problem isn’t that objectification of women will turn gamers into sexist pigs, it’s that it creates a hostile, unwelcoming environment for female gamers and developers.

• vagabond says:

According to John’s article, 50% of gamers are women.

If that’s the case, then surely the gaming environment isn’t driving them off at all?

• Jamesworkshop says:

if women were really scared of other women in sexy outfits they would never go to nightclubs

• Groove says:

If 50% of gamers are female then all the more reason to not create a hostile and unwelcoming atmosphere!

45. MeestaNob says:

Never mind this nonsense, is Star Craft worth playing for the single player campaign? Descriptions make it sound enjoyable in an entirely predictable sort of way, would this be accurate?

• Groove says:

Yes, the single player campaign is rad. No, you won’t be surprised by any plot twists.

The campaign does interesting things with mechanics, unit upgrades and locations. Also if you played SC Brood War then there are some fun references back to that, and in the middle of the campaign there are a few missions relating to Kerrigan regaining/surpassing her old power that are pretty great (great art for the maps, unique units to fight and figure out, entertaining if not unpredictable characters).

Also there’s a character that speaks like an evil Mordin Solus, and imagining him singing show tunes kept me entertained throughout.

46. frightlever says:

If this issue is so important shouldn’t there be a news blackout or a boycott or something meaningful?

Nobody’s opinion was ever changed by snark, right?

I’m fine with games that objectify women. I’m equally fine with games that objectify men. You’re not going to change my opinion that idealized visions of male and female beauty shouldn’t be used in a game. I’m probably a dinosaur, so get the game companies to change what they’re doing by denying them sales.

If the prevailing opinion is that gratuitously sexualized imagery, and female in particular apparently, is wrong then the gaming companies are obviously hurting themselves by perpetuating these stereotypes. I’m sure once they realise that gamers prefer women, and men, in game to look and dress like average office-workers (or whatever it is RPS seems to want) then they’ll sell more games.

• biggergun says:

Way I see it, everyone is just tired of cliches and overused tropes; tight suits is just the most obvious of the many. I agree that making this a women’s rights issue of this is ridiculous – what next, men offended by Jim “Cigar-Toting Stereotype Of A Man” Raynor? Women dressed like strippers every single videogame is a silly thing, though, and it is about time someone like RPS explained that to producers and designers.

• frightlever says:

I’m tired of clichés and over-used tropes so 90% of what I spend time playing these days are indies. Rarely a problem with needless titillation. (having said that, check out the female armor upgrades in Planet Explorers. Made me laugh.)

47. Milky1985 says:

Quick message to say TY for censoring the spoiler I mentioned earlier! Twas a rather important plot point so keeping it as a surprise for the player is a good thing :P

48. ScubaMonster says:

Yeah showing guys and girls hind ends, but the huge difference is that you can see the women’s asses in clear detail not covered up by pants or armor. Either the clothes are skin tight to the point of showing every curve and crack or you have Kerrigan’s outright naked butt. Not that I have a problem with any of that whatsoever, but I wouldn’t exactly call it an equal comparison.

• Jamesworkshop says:

Well men and women can’t be made attractive in the same way is an asymmetry considering the differences in sexual dimorphism, would I render myself more attractive to women with a mini skirt and hair half way down my back? no, because women are more concerned with physical height and the chest/shoulders region in men when it comes to attractiveness and for men a womens gluteal-femoral area (pelvis, buttocks and thighs) region is considered more interesting.

Sex appeal is not directly comparable, the Shirtless Man(tm) is a sexually charged look in a way that it isn’t for women, same with short skirts, bare legs work for women but not so much for men.

men and women do not make themselves more attractive to the other by the same methods but the aim is the same

• elgonzo says:

Ahh, nooooooo….
        What have you done? Now you suffocate the whole debate just by introducing behavioural sciences…

• Gap Gen says:

I am mostly sure that this is satire. Mostly.

• elgonzo says:

…until you leave puberty behind. Then it all becomes bittersweet reality, until it all settles again a few years later.

49. sophof says:

Reminds me of ME2 and the ‘low camera angle’ every time I would chat with a certain crew member. It’s the type of pandering that makes you simultaneously feel childish for playing a game and a pervert. In other words, very uncomfortable when there’s other people in the room…

And that’s coming from a sexist (in John Walker’s terms at least) like me :P

50. Michael Fogg says:

All I can see in those screens is Mass Effect style fanservice butt-in-tight-spacesuit shots. Having a few male buts in cargo pants and zoomed far out doesn’t work as counterbalance. So I really hope this article was sarcastic. Not going to read through 5 pages of, I’m sure of it, splendid comments to find out for sure.

• Vorphalack says:

The shot of the Ultralisk at the end didn’t give it away?

• Gap Gen says:

It’s true that in order to make the satirical point they had to actually post pictures of Kerrigan’s skin-tight buttock costume. But yes, the ultralisk is completely naked.