Hmmm: Shadowrun Won’t Be Entirely DRM-Free After All

By Nathan Grayson on April 10th, 2013 at 9:00 am.

Oh, well this just won’t do at all. I was having a very nice day – frolicking in the bunny-infested fields and devising new ways to make game developers weep sincere, beautiful tears, as is my way – when the world decided to remind me that Shadowrun Returns exists, but it’s still not mine yet. Now I’m quite sad, and devs will have to bear the loathsome burden of their intrinsic, inescapable pain all alone. But I suppose I can’t be too pessimistic, given that I was snapped out of my willful cyberslumber by word of concrete Shadowrun Returns release details. First, the good news: it’s arriving in June, with Steam Workshop support straight out the gate. But wait, if it’s launching on Steam, what does that mean for all of Harebrained’s much-ballyhooed promises of being DRM-free? Well, it’s kinda complicated.

So yes, Steam’s going to be Shadowrun’s neo-fantastical future lair – exclusively, if you want any DLC or player-created content. You will, however, still be able to download a DRM-free version of the main game from Harebrained’s website.

“After a lot of prototyping and research, we decided that our best delivery option for OSX/Windows/Linux is to go the route that great games (like Skyrim!) have taken and embrace Steam and the Steam Workshop. Steam allows us to provide up-to-date downloads and patching along with a vibrant ecosystem for developing community-created content and file sharing.”

“We realize that for some of you, releasing on Steam isn’t your first choice but there are a lot of really great things we get from this decision that allow us to focus on the game rather than on making things like backend servers to deploy and manage shared content. From the start, we’ve had to make practical decisions like this one to ensure we get the most out of the support you’ve given us. We consider this to be the best option for everyone.”

And technically, Harebrained is fulfilling its promise of a DRM-free game – just, you know, without any promise of future support. The question, then, is whether or not this slight switcheroo is technically dishonest, especially in light of the fact that backers spent money under the assumption they’d be getting a DRM-free experience. I’m going to argue “no,” given that the original reward text read “A Digital Downloadable copy of the game, DRM free on PC, Mac, or Linux.”

That said, I still don’t feel particularly great about this turn of events. Sure, Harebrained seems to be doing it for good reasons and maybe I’m just splitting hairs (hohohohohoho and now here’s something we hope you’ll really enjoy, etc), but this strikes me as one way Kickstarter developers could – intentionally or not – mislead their backers. On the upside, this is ultimately a slight change of plans, and it’s not like Harebrained up and decided Shadowrun would be an Origin exclusive with mandatory SimCity integration and hacker holes the size of 27 Uplays.

Still though, it’s brain food well worth chewing. When we plunk down our dollars upfront, it leaves plenty of room for plans to change behind the scenes. In most cases, I don’t imagine malicious intent is involved in the slightest, but just remember: at the end of the day, you may not get exactly what you thought you signed up for.

, , , , .

1. Bluestormzion says:

I never pay full price for anything on steam, precisely because I believe that mandatory online anything is an insult to my integrity.

That said, I am still enthusiastic about Shadowrun, and will probably pick it up on its first 15%, maybe even 10% off weekend. There are OTHER games that I will not name (but I might mention their Massive Effect on the gaming comminity) who had their own Always Online forced multiplayer sellout microtransactions and on-disc DLC who I waited not for a 25% off, not even for a 50% off, but that I eventually only got because I found a copy for 90% off that a buddy of mine was actually sickened by and who wanted to get rid of it ASAP.

What’s all that mean? They should stick by their original promise, which one MIGHT think constitutes a contract since donations were made partially by that premise… but Steam is also 85% a good thing, so I’ll be merciful this time.

• Sian says:

Even though the offline mode doesn’t work for everybody, it works for most people, so calling Steam an always on requirement is quite wrong. It’s a digital distribution platform that most people can happily switch off to play a lot of games once they’re downloaded.

This particular game most likely won’t need Steam to run. I highly doubt they’ll make two versions – one for their website, one for Steam.

2. Tayh says:

SO happy I decided to not back this afterall.

3. sophof says:

This just goes to show how important communication is. So many people in this comment section alone who simply don’t understand and proceed to freak out over something that’s actually positive. All because of assumptions and implications. It is almost painful to read…

• Kamos says:

Yep. It is very positive to not have a choice. Not to mention the murky part about the city people funded now being DLC, instead of an integral part of the game. I’m not buying this, and Harebrained entered my shit list.

• mbpopolano24 says:

It is not a question of communication, or of an irrational emotional response. It is just that you and many others cannot accept the reality of other people’s opinion, values, and moral grounds.

In a crowdfunding situation, one of the best expression of democracy, my opinion and value are as important as yours. The problem in creating controversy involving so many in your fan base, in a Kickstarter situation, is that you are also cutting our own funding source. I, for one, not only won’t back any more project from this developer, but I am also cutting my support to all and any future Kickstarter projects. To me, the action of many of the developers is reprehensible, and as such, very calmly and rationally, I am not giving them my support any longer.

4. twitch201 says:

I like how the next paragraph was left out…

“Now, that may prompt the question, “What about DRM-free?” To honor our original promise of a DRM-free version of the game, the Harebrained Account Website will also contain a downloadable version of Shadowrun Returns that does not include Steam integration. While this version will include the Seattle story (and Berlin, via a one-time update), without Steam integration, it will be unable to browse and play community-created stories from within the game. Any future DLC will only be available through Steam. ”

You as a KS backer will get everything you paid for, DRM free.

• Kamos says:

Except mod support.

• twitch201 says:

There is no actual modding, only a level editor that will allow you to make Runs, and on top of that, its not actually listed as a feature in any of the reward tiers, just in their presentation that they are giving access to it. They are releasing a FAQ this friday with more info, people need to calm down and stop acting like they lied.

• nindustrial says:

Except Steam mod support. It says nothing about lack of modding if you download the non-Steam copy. You just can’t use the steam workshop for mods if you don’t play the game through steam… obviously. There’s also no Origin support! No DLC, sure, but did they promise DLC in the kickstarter? (this is not a rhetorical question; I don’t know if they did or not).

“it will be unable to browse and play community-created stories from within the game. Any future DLC will only be available through Steam”

See how it says “from within the game?” This implies you can play community-created stories with some extra work.

5. Mephz says:

They lost my sale. Lots of interesting games coming out, no way I’m buying this if they force me to use steam for the mods. Skyrim has the option of not doing so and there are a lot of games coming out with excellent toolkits and sharing functionality that don’t need steam

• nindustrial says:

Show me where it says you can’t use mods without Steam? Seems like people’s reading comprehension is tanking due to steam-hating-induced rage.

• Emeraude says:

Hypothetical situation (I’m still waiting on their clarification Wednesday before I actually form an argument/opinion)

- Non Steam version won’t have access to DLC.
        - Post-DLC community-built content will use tile-sets from the DLC.
        - Non Steam version won’t have access to most community content past first DLC.

6. jwoozy says:

This whole “Steam is DRM!” shit has got to stop. Offline mode has been perfectly functional for almost three years now and in the worst case you can simply tether to a phone for a few minutes to log in, or failing that, call your fucking ISP to complain because that is your actual problem.

It borders on outright dishonesty to compared Steam to Starforce, GFWL or even Origin, and tortures the definition of DRM to a point of total meaningless.

• Kamos says:

1) Some people have problems with offline mode.
      2) Some people like having choice. As in, “I chose to get it on Steam”.
      3) How is it “my fucking problem” if offline mode doesn’t work? Why should I call my ISP if I, for instance, pull the cable and try to use offline mode? This does not compute.

• ScubaMonster says:

If you have crappy internet, that’s not Valve’s fault.

• Premium User Badge darkChozo says:

#dealwithit

• Kamos says:

How is it not Valve’s fault if their offline mode does not work? Again, does not compute.

• jrodman says:

I know blind faith is all about repressing your ability to think logically and critically, but really you could do better for a god than Valve Inc.

7. Uthred says:

This is a bit of a kick in the stones for anyone who pre-ordered the game on their website between the end of the kickstarter and a few days ago. Those people pre-ordered the game on the assumption they were getting the one describe i.e. one with two cities, now suddenly half the content is gone? I wonder witll Harebrained honour requests to cancel pre-orders?

8. ScubaMonster says:

I see an awful lot of crying here. Valve gets huge praise for their great digital distribution service, pushing PC gaming to the forefront, and exploring new territory such as Linux to have a viable alternative to Windows for gamers. Yet all we hear is a lot of moaning and groaning. Steam is about as benign of DRM you’re going to get. I also guarantee most of these people complaining probably have a Steam account with several games.

The ONLY legitimate complaint I see is people who bought the non Steam version not having the functionality of downloading mods that Steam Workshop provides. Complaining about Steam itself? Ridiculous.

• Mephz says:

Yes steam was forced on me by the newest football manager, I did not know I needed steam to play and I have only played it for like 30 hours which is the lowest playing time I’ve ever had in a football manager game. Additionally it will be the last football manager game I will ever buy and I have no intention of adding another game into the steam game library if I can avoid it.

Does this in any way take away my rights to complain about steam? I don’t think so, if anything I think I have full rights to whine about a software that I dislike using.

• Kamos says:

I not only have Steam, I have HUNDREDS of games there. And yet, the only thing that is ridiculous here is your defense to Valve’s right to a monopoly. I will either be able to choose where I get my game or I will not get it at all. Cry me some more tears, Valve fanboy.

9. rei says:

Title: SHADOWRUN NOT DRM-FREE!!!!
    Text body: Shadowrun actually DRM-free

Nevermind Harebrained’s “dishonesty”; aren’t you getting a bit too far into tabloid territory here? Even managed to put the words “Steam” and “exclusive” together. Apparently it works, judging by the amount of comments.

• Kamos says:

Except no mod support. And no further DLC. And maybe not even patches.

• twitch201 says:

Except there never was mod support in the sense that you are probably thinking, only a level editor.

• Lemming says:

Mod support is either in or it isn’t. There is no one version moddable, one version not on the same platform. Don’t talk arse.

• twitch201 says:

This is the direct quote from the KS:

“Will the level editor allow me to MOD the game and turn it into a western or something?

No. It will allow you to make your own shadowruns.”

these will be new runs and there is no reason why they should not be able to drop these created items into a folder and load them.

• Geewhizbatman says:

Ya that was my first impression of this article too. It smacked of “We read this sentence but didn’t really do any research on the issue. Soo—It may or may not be something. Tell us your thoughts!”

To me it sounds very reasonable. If you want to download the game from their website you can. You can manually mod whatever you like. Even if they don’t release patches (which I can’t imagine they would, given that non-DRM was their original intent) stand alone then the community can release them themselves—-just like they have been for say, vintage games that have been defunct for years but still had patches. It sounds like they’re making a compromise to use Steam as the main delivery method, but there’s no reason that those without Steam would get entirely shafted–they’d just have to work harder. Ya know, that convenience thing that has made Steam so popular.

Except none of that is discussed and the article doesn’t say anywhere, “We tried to contact the devs to try and clear up what the DRM-free folk are or are not getting in the future,” which would make all the rageful speculation happening in the comments seem less purposeful on the part of the writer. I’m going to hope it wasn’t, but this type of “reporting” that is just copy and pasting of incendiary changes isn’t great. I still love me some RPS but–come on, at least pretend like you’re trying to live up to Newsource vs. Things I Saw on The Street Blog territory

• Alextended says:

People funded them to release “to the public” (their own words) a given DRM-free game with two cities. They will now release “to the public” a DRM-based game with one city and another as extra DLC. Major project changes, regardless of the reward tiers. Get it?

Plus, everything points to the DRM-free version being gimped as they only promise an one time update for the DLC, they no longer intend to sell it to others (which would make no sense if it was as fully functional) while they also try to appease backers by offering them an additional Steam copy. Hence why people demand clarifications and before getting them assume the worst, as this has been handled in a shitty manner so far. Get it?

10. Brun says:

Er, if it’s not using Steamworks (Valve’s DRM suite), or some third-party DRM, then it’s DRM-free. You can move the files and excecutables around as much as you want and they will still function – i.e., if the files are properly configured the game can be launched external to Steam, thus things like “buggy offline mode” are not applicable.

Steam is just a storefront for distribution and updating. Use of the Steamworks DRM is not compulsory for developers, they can choose to use it or their own third-party DRM or no DRM at all. They do not mention anywhere that they will be using Steamworks.

Nor are they breaking any promises by making it exclusive to Steam. Their original description:

A Digital Downloadable copy of the game, DRM free on PC, Mac, or Linux.

It does not specify a storefront, nor does it promise that the game will be available on multiple storefronts.

I don’t see what the problem is here, other than:

1) People confusing Steam (the store) with Steamworks (the DRM).
    2) Crotchety old men still being butthurt over having that newfangled Steam “forced” on them by HL2/Desirable Game X.

• RProxyOnly says:

Butthurt? Do be so blasted dismissive about something you obviously know nothing about.. the fact is that they are FORCING us to use Steam, because without it it we can’t have access to DLC, future adventure, tileset, etc.

Although to be honest, all this bullshit they have caused and are trying to force us to swallow makes me never want to give them money again.. and I WILL be getting a refund if they don’t reinstate the FULL product that we were, at the VERY least, LED to believe we would get.

• Brun says:

They never made any promises about multi-storefront distribution or their update mechanisms. They promised a DRM-free digital download of the game, which is something that can be provided by Steam. You may not like the choice that they made, they may have failed to meet your expectations, but to say that they went back on what THEY explicitly promised is objectively incorrect.

• Geewhizbatman says:

Except from this article alone there isn’t anything to support that you aren’t going to be able to get future DLC or patches or anything else. Steam is just what allows them to provide it “Up-To-Date,” so people who use Steam will get those things faster…doesn’t mean DRM-Free means you won’t get them. Especially for the DLC that was promised in backing. I don’t see any reason why that won’t be released as a download the same way that the main game is going to be.

Steam is just going to be the model that they as a company use to first introduce content. There’s nothing that says that content won’t be able to be accessed through other methods. Still, the main point would be that the specifics aren’t explained at all. So, while I may find it reasonable because I’m creating a speculation–You’re creating an angry response due to similar speculation. I would first suggest getting specifics first before jumping to a conclusion. Heck, you could even get that information and then send it in as an update article for RPS! This one proves that all your really need is non-commital rhetoric and a quote and you’ve got yourself a story :D

• twitch201 says:

Good riddance, and btw dont forget that they are actually giving what they intended, if you read your email from them on the Kickstarter. If you pre-ordered, well that is the same story as they break down what you get on their website. Have fun crying over nothing.

• jrodman says:

Agreed, the article simply muddies the waters. There’s no clear investigation of whether DRM is actually in use here. Surely a Rock Paper Shotgun writer knows better than to assume Steam itself enforces all titles on the store to use DRM.

• Alextended says:

So are you saying they’re too dumb to know if they use DRM or not when they specifically say they do, even if they don’t say Steamworks, and add the “but” of still offering a (gimped) DRM-free version just for backers in an attempt to pretend all is well? Okay.

11. MadTinkerer says:

GRRRRRRRRR!!!!!

I am ANGRY because my entirely functional independent-of-servers copy will not have automatic updating! They expect me to manually apply patches in 2013!?! How dare they not make their own server to update the…

No wait, that would tie the game to the server which would…

But they could…

Um…

But seriously, why seven pages of comments? I thought RPS readers were PC gamers and therefore not completely technically ignorant as to rage of what’s clearly a non-issue. Also Steam isn’t always DRM, sigh, et cetera.

• mbpopolano24 says:

Ah ah, funny.

Well, this is what you like to think, at least.

12. TonganJedi says:

I buy all my PC games on Steam, so these “concerns” are irrelevant. I didn’t back this game because it was DRM-free, I just enjoyed that it was. Steam’s DRM system is so functionally transparent to the user, I consider this to be a non-issue.

I’m curious to see how many of the ranting, self-righteous blowhards complaining about this will eventually suck it up and buy the game anyway…quite a few, I suspect.

13. C0llic says:

Before people get up in arms about the game using steam, I think someone (RPS? hint hint) should try and find out exactly what they mean. It’s entirely possible for games to use steam as a platform for multiplayer and patch delpoyment without requiring steam to run in order to launch a single player only executable.

If that is indeed the case, then I don’t see what they’ve chosen to do even slightly disonest.

• nindustrial says:

That would be far too reasonable for at least half the commenters here. Also, remember, said commenters define DRM as anything requiring any interface with the internet. So, you know, direct DRM-free download from Harebrained’s site is also DRM since you need an internet connection to download it.

• iridescence says:

HBS could do a lot of damage-control here by clarifying their position. Frankly, their saying nothing today after yesterday’s update created such a massive shitstorm makes it seem like they have something to hide. Hopefully they will clarify it soon if this is something more benign than a lot of people are assuming.

• RProxyOnly says:

We’re supposed to wait THREE DAYS for an explanation.. that is abominable. All they are trying to do is wait us out.. They are ABSOLUTELY OBLIGATED to answer our questions, not make such shitty excuse about “gather questions to be answered” and then ignoring us… Exactly how many more questions are there to gather FFS. :<

Only one that I see.. IS THIS TRUE?

They'll be posting 'clarification' my arse…. and their spin is simply insulting "we are happy to announce steam keys for all our backers"???? .. they must think we are all idiots.

how much clearer can it be "ALL FUTURE DLC WILL BE STEAM ONLY". There's not a lot of wiggle room in that statement.

I didn't pledge for a Steam only crippled game.. and I won't continue to back it.

Yes, we can have a drm free version.. but then we're screwed for further adventures and tileset.. This is a complete contravention of their KS pitch… So much for this so called appreciation that they are always telling us about.

14. nindustrial says:

Grog Mad! Grog no like Steam, so Grog pretend game not also available not on Steam! Grog also ignore Harebrained not say no mods outside Workshop! Grog MAAAD!

• mbpopolano24 says:

Yes Grog, go play with your toys now. HBS needs some of your blood as well, please bend over.

15. slerbal says:

I didn’t back this Kickstarter, but it does seem to me (to paraphrase a saying) “This deal is getting worse and worse by the minute.” If nothing else this is a poorly thought out move.

I use Steam all the time and am mostly fine with it, but they really pushed the whole DRM-free aspect of Shadowrun Returns in the Kickstarter and I am certain there is a high level of overlap between those who fund games projects and those who would like those same projects to be DRM free. Everyone I know who backs Kickstarter doesn’t do so for pure monetary reasons, but because of the desire to support a creative vision – and in this case I would argue that the DRM free element was a core part of that.

I’ve worked with Valve, and yes, Steam is DRM. It is the definition of Digital Rights Management. Valve are generally pretty good about such things, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t DRM.

Yes the backers might be able to get a version sans-Steam but to be shut out of all future DLC seems a bit harsh. The hard fact is that Kickstarter only works if there is trust between funders and funded projects, and frankly I think this is at best on shaky ground, and at worst an bit of a betrayal.

I had been considering buying this – I love Shadowrun – but now given the bad taste it has left, I think I will wait and see.

Honestly, this is a bit of a downer.

16. drvoke says:

Much as I like Steam and Valve, this is pretty sad. While I understand there is some hilariously overblown gnashing of teeth over this, there is probably nothing to be done about it at this point for this particular game.

If you really can’t abide Steam, instead of getting histrionic, just make sure you make developers on Kickstarter promise not to pull this same kind of trick again in the future before you fund. This is not a project I’ve been following, so I have no emotional investment, but it does come across as a little underhanded, and I feel a little bad for backers of this project, especially the higher tiers.

17. Alextended says:

Holy strawbatman at the shit people unhappy that the project they funded has changed in significant ways have to take here. Especially considering appeasing them wouldn’t alter anything for the people who do want it on Steam (and probably shouldn’t have funded it in that case since that version wasn’t even set in stone at the time, while now it’s the only version that will ever be public).

For everyone who is unhappy with the uncertainty regarding Steam, DRM and future DLC, go back Divinity: Original Sin. It’s not just looking like a fantastic game, the developers at Larian also confirmed that everything will be available both via Steam workshop integration and DRM-free options. The way it should be done. I guess Larian are kind enough to spend millions of dollars and months of man-hours to deliver on their promises if we go by these cost and time excuses people like to sprout.

• mbpopolano24 says:

That’s very true, and although I have still full confidence in other projects (including Divinity) I have withdrawn support for ALL projects, and decide to stay away from Kickstarter for the time being. This is what you get playing ‘cute’ with your fan base. I’ll support a finished product published through channels I like, thank you very much. If that means it won’t get done, well, thank you HBS & C., but I have many ways to spend my free time.

18. Greggh says:

If it was stated at any time during the fundraiser that this game would’ve not have DRM, this is unfortunate news for their backers.

Otherwise, I don’t mind this at all – specially since I saw this sort of thing coming from such an overhyped crowdfunding project, and didn’t participate/collaborate to it.

19. Lemming says:

Can we just get a few fundamentals out the way:

1. Steam is not DRM. It’s digital distribution. Steamworks (if that aspect of it is chosen) is DRM. Buying your game from Steam is no different in its vanilla form than buying/downloading your game from GoG, or the developer’s website, or anywhere similar.

2. ‘Not supporting via patches/updates’ can only mean they can’t physically force an update to your game. Of course Steam allows this. Having a floating non-DRM free version does not. It will be up to you to download those patches and be aware of when they are released (remember how to do that?).

3. ‘Not supporting mods except via Steam Workshop’ means they can’t directly manage a mods catalogue for you on your DRM-free game. You have to find and install them by usual means.

4. No developer would allow two versions of a game on one platform to differ in such a way that one could/couldn’t be modded or one could/couldn’t be patched. To think so, is ridiculous. You are basically saying that a developer is going to the extra trouble of locking off aspects of a game (ie. more development) to prevent you from enjoying aspects of it others can on the same platform. Patches and mods will have to be downloaded normally as if the Steam version never existed.

• MadTinkerer says:

Thank you! A non-sarcastic version of exactly my point!

• mbpopolano24 says:

Thank you for repeating the same mantra, hopefully if you will repeat it enough it will come true. Now all together:

Steam is not DRM, it’s only in my head; Steam is not DRM, it’s only in my head; Steam is not DRM, it’s only in my head…….

• xao says:

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

• Emeraude says:

1) Steam is a service platform. Among those services are DRM solutions, which makes it the number one provider of DRM on the PC market right now. Some of us don’t want to support such a company and the underlying vision it promotes.

2) Will the patches be made available outside of Steam ? This has yet to be answered. You might think a yes answer evident, but this whole mess comes from both parties assuming things that were evident to each.

3-4) If the DRM free version cannot make use legally of future DLCs (have to use Steam to buy them), then its users won’t be able to interact on the same terms with the rest of the community past their release. No use of mods created past their release and using their assets.

20. GOU_NoMoreMrNiceGuy says:

they shouldn’t have claimed it would be no DRM in the first place. as a guy who is fortunate enough to be able to afford to buy my games, i don’t care about DRM. i just care about DRM that gets in the way or requires a dumb-ass always-on connection.

i have no problem with the makers wanting to make a living from their product.

steam is fine. steam is great. but they did screw people over by putting the no drm thing out there.

• Alextended says:

Lots of people make money on drm-free platforms like desura and gog, or no platform at all like Minecraft, so your argument is flawed to say the least. Especially since if it was as obvious a proposition as you claim now, a simple question of being DRM-free or earning money, they wouldn’t have promised DRM-free releases to begin with. Duh.

21. mondomau says:

ITT: Lots of people that lack basic reading comprehension, not to mention a balanced viewpoint.

Some people don’t like steam – I get that, fair enough. However, if you backed the game, you get a DRM free version and nobody has stated that it will not be able to run mods – I will be very surprised if that is the case, since it doesn’t apply to any other non-valve Workshop game. If you didn’t back the game, please stop acting like you’ve been conned or cheated somehow – the only thing you are entitled to is not buying the damn thing.

I’m particularly bemused by people gleefully crowing about how they are so glad they didn’t back the project, because Steam is evil. Well done, you missed out on your only chance to get a non-DRM copy?!

• Alextended says:

It’s not about what backers get, backers funded them to create and release to the public (their own words) a certain something, regardless of any reward tiers. That something they will release to the public has now changed and the support for the backer-only DRM-free version will be very limited and not have any kind of community form around it because of the limited number of backers compared to regular buyers. That’s a major change for the project. They know this, that’s why they don’t intend to sell the newly gimped DRM-free version to others and why they give a Steam copy to backers in an attempt to appease them. Is this simple enough for you to get? I hope so.

Try again with all the other sheep misrepresenting the issue and pretending it was all totally honest just because they’re ok with or even prefer the changes. Wow.

• mbpopolano24 says:

Agreed. Lots of people (including you) lack balance and reading comprehension. Also, lots of people would rather defend horrific choices than just accepting the (un)balanced opinion of others. Finally, lots of people (including their Dear Leader, HBS) lack the comprehension of what crowdfunding is. “Oh, wait, it is not just free money we get to be cute?”

• Mephz says:

maybe they don’t want a copy at all anymore?

• Emeraude says:

Well, you do seem to lack basic reading comprehension, for sure.

From the latest HBS update: “Any future DLC will only be available through Steam.”

Which means that, yes, there will be a DRM-free version – provided you accept never to be part of the community, and never to be able to use content created past the release of the first DLC.

Add to that the problems raised by the sliding of Berlin into DLC, and you have enough reasons for some of us to not be really happy.

22. Hmm-Hmm. says:

I’m disappointed by the fact that they’re going back on promises they made and (more importantly) are seemingly trying to weasel their way out of it. That’s not to say I dislike Steam, but I’d have hoped they’d have been more honest and up-front about things. Or at least don’t promise things you are not willing to commit to.

23. Apocalypse says:

Just a reminder, there are steam-games that just start fine without steam. Which essential means they are Steam-enabled, but still technical DRM-free. Right?

Steamworks is a great framework, and as far as I am aware the use of Steam’s DRM is optional when using the framework.

24. Alextended says:

Just read their new update clarifying some things…

The expected features of the DRM-free version are a little better than I expected but in the end it will be obsolette once more DLC comes out and mods start using it. That makes it pointless to even provide the support they claim they will, if they will, in the end it will be a useless version and it’s still a shitty situation, especially as they reveal they basically shouldn’t have ever promised a public DRM-free version as it was never actually viable given the licensing. It’s not something they changed their mind about but something they would have never been able to do, or at least were never sure they would be able to do, yet promised to do during the campaign pitch anyway. That’s shitty regardless of excuses. And the second city being turned into DLC for non backers issue, plus its delay, plus the delay for the other OS versions, remain. I’ve gotten my refund so there’s that at least, anyone could request it.