Will You Blendo? Latest Humble Weekly Is A Smasher

By Alec Meer on April 10th, 2013 at 11:00 am.

Not sure we’ve posted about the Humble Weekly Sale yet. This is because all we enlightened souls on RPS all dispute the concept of ‘weeks.’ It’s an artificial tyranny imposed upon us by the secret world government in order to keep us from the independent thought that would allow us to realise there are in fact 417 days in a year. The world leaders spend these hidden 52 days at a giant orgy the rest of us aren’t even aware of, let alone invited to, because we’re too busy working, paying the taxes which fund that immense, secret international flesh-fest. It makes me so angry! Thus, I’m sickened that the Humble Bundle guys feel they can make light of the insidious concept of ‘weeks’, that they can appropriate this tool of ultimate opporession for a pay-what-you-want bundle of awesome indie games. This week – OH GOD THEY MADE ME SAY IT – it’s the turn of the incomparable Blendo Games. Atom Zombie Smasher, Flotilla, 30 Flights and Loving and more are yours for a low, low, customisable price.

It’s perhaps tempting to think of Blendo – aka Brendon Chung – as the guy who just makes oblique, cut-up spy thrillers, but what this pack does is demonstrate the chap’s remarkable breadth. Inventive, genocide-scale real-time strategy; space combat and exploration; edutainment starring jet planes. And yeah, an oblique, cut-up spy thriller. Brilliant, brilliant stuff.

It’s pay what you want for everything except 30 Flights – if you want that you’ll need to beat the average price, which currently sits at $3.75. You should do that.

Here be trailers:

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. povu says:

I haven’t played their other games but I’m a big fan of Atom Zombie Smasher.

• StranaMente says:

I really liked Atom zombie smasher, and I payed and played for thirty flights of loving, but sincerely felt ripped. I suggest you look a walk through, it’s a 15 min game, really, and in my opinion it’s greatly over hyped.

• MondSemmel says:

I didn’t like it. It seemed to have the same kind of bad randomness as FTL (e.g. having shots miss randomly), rather than the good kind of randomness in Binding of Isaac.
      Also, the campaign style gameplay didn’t seem to work well – same as Revenge of the Titans, really.
      There are also tons of alternatives to the standard settings, but I found no combination fun.

• Samwise Gamgee says:

FTL really isn’t random at all it is just very deep and takes a bit of figuring out. Once you have got it sussed it is quite easy to beat the game almost every time you play. The best bit of advice I can give for combat is that the timing of the weapons in relation to one another and the use of auto fire is way more important than the power of the weapons.

• Moraven says:

Tell me how I win my non random FTL game where my first jump with my single crew Engi ship caused said crew member to be killed by the event. :)

• phuzz says:

AFAIK all of the events that kill your crew are a result of you choosing to (for example) go play with the giant space spiders, you can always choose not to take the risk.
            (pro tip, never, ever go play with the giant space spiders, I lost three crew to them in one game)

• MondSemmel says:

Oh, believe me, I’ve played FTL for >20h. I understand it’s possible to mitigate the effects of its stupid randomness to some extent. But seriously, how can you be satisfied with “Once you have got it sussed it is quite easy to beat the game almost every time you play.”? That’s not good enough. That’s bad randomness. Good randomness is the kind in Binding of Isaac, where you can mitigate everything the RNG throws at you. If a shot misses in a crucial moment in FTL (say, during the end boss battle), you are screwed.
          And don’t get me started on the random events. I lost a Mantis crewmember with full combat experience because the RNG decided a madman managed to kill a random crewmember, no matter how implausible the result.

EDIT: And I spent those 20h looking for depth in FTL, and all I found was a RNG…

• Ksempac says:

20h playing FTL and you still haven’t figured out that most random events have actually FIXED results if you have the proper equipment ? Then I suggest you start the game again, because you completely missed how it works.

For example your madman is guaranteed to be cured and become a crew member if you have an advanced medbay. Same thing for the spiders mentioned above, if you have the correct equipment you are 100% safe and will win something.

You almost never need to take risks on the random events. If you don’t have the proper equipment, simply avoid the choices that triggers the RNG (you can almost always decide not to take a chance). Then equip your ship properly and on the next random event, you will be able to get a guaranteed reward.

Actually that’s usually a good rule for any kind of roguelike. You do not make an action that relies heavily on the RNG (such as drinking an unidentified potion in Nethack) unless A- you’re in a desperate situation (you are low on HP and surrounded by ennemies) or B- you stacked the odd if your favors (ie you performed tests to know that potion can only be a good one).
            A good roguelike will usually have lots of ways to reduce the impact of the RNG, which players have to learn and understand if they wanna succeed.

2. Tusque D'Ivoire says:

I really really love Flotilla, but it’s a damn shame that you can’t seem to save your progress.

• Optimaximal says:

It’s a roguelike, you’re not supposed to save. Just play and die, many many times.

• cptgone says:

still, i’d prefer to have the option to play it like a regular game.

also, it’s a pity one can’t use a controller in a single player game. every few months, overpowered by guilt, i try to finally play it – only to get frustrated by the keyboard layout (i have an azerty keyboard), check out the options, try to get the controller working, re-discover i cannot in a single player game, quit playing.

these are minor quibbles though, i’m sure it’s solid overall, as are the other Blendo games. only one i haven’t got yet is Air Forte. i’ll prolly end up buying this bundle just for that game.

3. Jams O'Donnell says:

Flotilla is a magical thing. Me and Mrs Jams still talk seriously about naming our next cats Chu Chu and Fun Factory.

Even though Air Forte is a kids’ game I’m tempted just to see more of the Blendo animals.

4. tehsorrow says:

I just thought I’d let everyone know that 30 flights of loving is literally 10 minutes long. I bought it without knowing this and it turned out to be a bit of a rude shock. Consider this a PSA

• rustybroomhandle says:

How did you not know?

• Berzee says:

I wonder this as well.

• tehsorrow says:

Basically I saw the trailer and thought it looked cool, I knew it wouldnt be very long being an indie game and all but I didn’t realise it’d be less than half an hour long. I’m not going to act like they conned me or anything but when you see a trailer for a movie or a film you don’t assume that’s a 5th of the films length.

I didn’t hate it, but like I said, a bit of a rude shock. I’ve played my share of budget, small team games and I just expected it to be a lot more of a thing

• AimHere says:

It is bundled with Gravity Bone, which brings it up to 17 minutes or so. And it is a very nice 17 minutes indeed.

• Xocrates says:

Gravity Bone is available for free elsewhere and is by far the better one, and Thirty Flights of Loving is only interesting on an academic sense.

Frankly, if not for the fact that Flotilla + Atom Zombie Smasher are worth more than the average (haven’t played Air Forte) I would say it’s not worth shelling out the extra money for TFL unless you do have an academic interest on games.

• Tusque D'Ivoire says:

I really wouldn’t call it purely academic! I can enjoy a condensed little Guy Ritchie-like action movie experience whithin a quarter of an hour, then replay it again and again and discover many, many more details in the progress.

• Xocrates says:

Thing is, I would contest that the story is that interesting or complex to begin with. The only thing making it worthwhile is the way it’s being told – which doesn’t always work – meaning that the analysis of the thing is far more interesting than the thing itself.

If you want a movie, there are better ones. The academic dissection of TFL and the discussion of where it succeeds AND fails, is really the only thing I found it had going for it.

• Skabooga says:

I’ll take 10 minutes of bliss over 6 hours of mundanity any day of the week. Thirty Flights of Loving was easily worth the pittance I paid for it, worth even more. The enjoyment I derived from it was aesthetic and emotional and far, far removed from the academic.

• TechnoJellyfish says:

Also, if you have the slightest interest in the creative process in game development, I’d highly recommend you play it again with the developer commentary enabled. Very interesting stuff and it should easily add another 20 minutes of playtime to your counter.

• Kadayi says:

I think ‘playtime’ is a stretching what 30FoL is. Wacky and inventive, but faintly interactive fiction is a more fitting definition than ‘game’ per se

5. DrMcCoy says:

Unfortunately, only two of the games (Air Forte and Atom Zombie Smasher) are available for GNU/Linux.

• Gap Gen says:

Any word if the others work under Wine?

• Hodge says:

I haven’t tried Flotilla but 30 Flights worked fine.

EDIT: Flotilla seems to work too.

• zain3000 says:

Can confirm 30 Flights worked for me as well. However, I get a crash with Flotilla. Seems to me it requires Microsoft XNA Framework to run.

6. phlebas says:

I have all but Air Forte already – is it worth bothering just for that?

• Optimaximal says:

Try and grab a copy from SteamGifts?

• captainparty says:

Well, you can name your price for it and just play Air Forte, just pay what you think its worth

7. captainparty says:

Yes, 30 Flights of Loving is short, but its dense and packed with some of the most inventive and interesting story telling out there, I paid full price for it and I wasn’t at all disappointed, its not a traditional game and if you go in expecting that, I can see why you’d be disapointed.

• Inglourious Badger says:

I would like to second this comment.

Played it 3 times now. It is a masterclass in story telling in games, if you’re in anyway interested in game design and/or storytelling in general I highly recommend checking out the director’s commentary (after you’ve finished).

Also AZS is great and has superb music.

8. derella says:

I just don’t get 30 Flights of Loving. After all the oohing and aahing over it, I watched someone play it on Youtube. And well, it didn’t seem to be anything other than quirky and weird.

• Skabooga says:

I’ll grant that Thirty Flights of Loving isn’t a game everyone would enjoy, and a person hearing a just a little about it probably has enough information to accurately gauge if they would like it or not.

That being said, if I had watched a playthrough of Thirty Flights of Loving instead of playing it myself, I would probably agree with you.

• Xocrates says:

Meanwhile, I did play it, several times even, including director commentary, explored pretty much every nook and cranny, and I agree with him.

It’s an artsy experiment, no more, no less.

9. TychoCelchuuu says:

Thirty Flights of Loving is my GOTY for 2012 and both AZS and Flotilla are stupendous. I bought the bundle for Air Forte + the Thirty Flights of Loving soundtrack then I bought another copy to gift to someone. I think Blendo Games is my favorite developer/person making video games right now. I can’t wait for Quadrilateral Cowboy.

10. kalirion says:

meh, i prefer the current groupees retro bundle (which is ending today).

11. baozi says:

Thirty Flights of Loving was easily one the most interesting games I’ve played. There’s such a big concentration of things it does that no other games seem to be doing that I’d say it’s a must play if you’re at all interested in computer games as a form of art. Plus, even if it’s not really gamey, I found it to be a lot of fun.

Conversely, looking at the trailers here, I’m not really interested in these other, more gamey games.