Forecast: Lasers – ShootMania Storm Out Now

By Nathan Grayson on April 11th, 2013 at 3:00 pm.

I am absolutely, positively, 100 percent certain it is just the wind.

ShootMania: Storm is the strangest name. On one hand, it sounds like some kind of lighthearted term for craving or addiction – kinda like party fever, March madness, or meth ragekillsanity. But before long, the “Storm” subtitle rolls in all ominous and gloomy, raining  on even the most incurably diseased of parades. Naturally, then, ShootMania: Storm is a game about lasers. Oh, but there’s also exceedingly robust level creation, arcade-y speed, and balance that’s been meticulously honed for eSports purposes. All indications point to it being quite the thing, honestly. Take a jump pad past the break for a snazzy launch trailer. Here, grab my hand. We’ll go together. One, two, three… SPROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOING.

Red men shooting green men shooting blue men shooting yellow men! It’s like what would happen if Christmas lights invented war. But they didn’t, so war is all ours. Thank goodness.

ShootMania’s available for purchase right now at the ManiaPlanet website, Steam, and Uplay, but Nadeo plans to update it until the end of time. Or at least until a sequel (perhaps titled ShootMania: Tropical Storm) blows into town. Already, tons of new/improved features are on the futuro-docket, which is like a normal docket, only made of chrome. For instance, ranking-based matchmaking, team rankings, in-game player-organized competitions (with snazzy titles), and modifiable map editor items/bots.

Most ambitious of all, meanwhile, are actions, which will apparently enable some truly outside-the-box gametypes once they’ve been implemented.

“Actions are sequences and consequences that players and items can do. For example, it can be to trigger a specific animation at a given spot in the map, or to make a sfx, or to launch projectiles with modified properties… On a more global example, we have made a little FPS MOBA internally, with selection of champions, with each ones having different spells. Each champion can level up, and little creatures assist you while attacking the opposite team. Once  things are done, we will release the code samples, like the one of the upcoming ShootMania Storm title: Combo, based on 2vs2, items to pick up and switchable weapons on the 1-2-3-4 keys.”

Exciting! These things will, however, arrive in less of a storm formation and more as a series of drizzles over the course of “months.” Still, you’ve got plenty to look forward to. For now, though, has anyone already started playing? Are there any beta-weened longtimers among you? I mean, ShootMania looks quite scrumptious, but is it? Is it really?

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. The First Door says:

I was playing the (I think free) mode called Royal last night and it is brilliant fun. A cross between Unreal Tournament insta-gib and Bomberman with added tornado. I already found it to be quite the thing!

Also the ability to choose your projectile colour is something which gives me a nice nostalgic glow from Quake 3.

P.s. I haven’t figured out how to grapple, ski or perform bounce shots though, which makes me sad now I know they exist!

• presheaf says:

Grappling is performed by right clicking while in mid-air on the yellow globes that are on the underside of some blocks.

Skiing (or sliding) is done by right clicking while on wooden blocks. You need to have built up momentum, but then you slide right along, and you jump upon releasing the right mouse button.

As for bounce shots, only some special surfaces allow that, and they’re not in many maps yet. There used to be a charge shot also, where you could stand still for a while and then you’d get charged rockets which would bounce on all walls, but I think they removed that since the Beta.

• The First Door says:

Ah, thanks for letting me know! It’s good to know it’s more likely I’ve not played a map with the right blocks in than me just being blind to it.

There do seem to be way more block types which alter movement/fire than I remember from when I last played the beta. Last night I was having fun on the speed tiles which don’t let you jump or fire when on them! Confused the hell out of me the first time I encounter them though.

2. andytizer says:

I played this at Rezzed last year and it was a fun, stripped down arena shooter.

3. Sp4rkR4t says:

Projectile speed was way too slow for my liking so I won’t be buying. It’s a shame though as I felt they were really onto something.

• MellowKrogoth says:

Given this is probably gonna be the most moddable game in the world, I’d be surprised if making a gamemode or mutator with tweaked projectile speed isn’t dead easy.

• presheaf says:

The moddability is quite limited though in actuality. You can script gametypes and import blocks for the editor, but it’s quite hard to do even basic other things. For instance the Jailbreak mode has to rely on some hacks to work properly, but it can’t be done perfectly. Similarly it’s not really possible to write a real CTF game mode with flag drop for the moment, although I think some stuff might be added to make it possible.

With the addition of weapon pickups in the new Combo game mode, we should get to see some more interesting scripts popping up taking advantage of that.

4. Tomu says:

It’s honestly pretty good. Elite you want to be playing with people you can actually talk to so they don’t just go out and rush into the guy with the railgun and hold in proper places.

Royal is pretty good, second in my little section of the world but the real competitive gameplay is in Elite. The control of movement is pretty good, a bit more air strafing in the air would be preferred though.

Definitely worth a pickup from any shooter fan.

• The First Door says:

Is Elite the 3v3 team one? I did quite like that, but for me Royal is my favourite at the moment.

Having said that, I didn’t get a chance to try Joust yet. Do you know it that is any good?

• presheaf says:

I quite like Joust. The basic idea is that there are two sets of poles scattered around the map, and you have to alternately run between them to get ammo.

It’s very dependent on the map, in my opinion. On some maps with only two poles, you spend a lot of time zoning the other person out and it gets stale quite fast. When there are some well-placed rail pads and more than 2 poles though, while still being reasonably small, it can get really interesting. It’s certainly quite different to anything else.

5. Christo4 says:

The game left a “meh” taste in my mouth. It was kinda like UT2004 Deathmatch but with less…

• Beemann says:

Pretty much this. The movement was very meh, shooting your feet to rocketjump (not even having to jump or crouch) actually took more fun out of the action than I expected. Additionally, the fact that almost any interesting mechanic was tied to a block just made things feel more awkward and hamstrung than they otherwise would.

I tried watching a match from about 3 months ago to see if something else had changed about the game, but I still just couldn’t get into it. There was none of the back and forth that Arena Shooters brought to the table, unless you insist on counting chains of instantaneous hitscan kills

I’ll just wait around and see what Reborn manages to bring to the genre

6. Terics says:

I enjoyed this game a lot. Its a fun shooter stripped down shooter with some pretty fun and unique modes. And its come along quite well since the betas.

7. Sami Hamlaoui says:

When the hell did this game get a grappling hook?!?

* goes off to investigate further

8. Feferuco says:

More MP games should do this. Abandon a theme, don’t have any fiction, just focus on the game aspect and player customization.

9. SpaceAkers says:

Shootmania is dope and is only $20USD or whatever is comparable in your local variant.

It’s hard to judge the “Game” at the moment tho, as it is as much a platform as it is a game. Presumably in a few weeks / months, this thing will be poppin off with all manner of wacky maps and modes.

Hopefully.

10. AlienMind says:

Download Sauerbraten (aka “Cube 2″). It has good maps, costs nothing, and is not crippled in any way (-DRM / +Modding / -Micropayment /+Demorecording / +Own Servers..)

Comment on this story