Foundering: Lost Planet 3 Delayed

By Adam Smith on April 11th, 2013 at 4:00 pm.

'It's back into the cryochamber for a while, I'm afraid' 'but I HATE the cryochamber'

Capcom have found a new way to announce a delayed release – send out a press release that is written as if it were a travel brochure. For younger readers, allow me to explain that travel brochures were a collection of pictures of holidays that people dreamed of and couldn’t afford before Google Earth existed and everybody just looked at that instead. They always smelled slightly toxic. Capcom’s travel brochure is actually advertising computer games but says things like: “For the more adventurous traveller why not embark on the trip of a lifetime to E.D.N. III…brave the extreme and unpredictable conditions as Lost Planet 3 arrives on August 27 in North America and August 30 in Europe.” To which I say, ‘that sounds like a terribly dangerous holiday’ before adding ‘wasn’t Lost Planet 3 supposed to come out in June’?

From June to August and why? Because of reasons, that’s why, and in this case they are ‘business reasons’. The press release does demonstrate that, if nothing else, Capcom have mastered the art of neatly staggering their summer releases. Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen in April, Resident Evil Revelations in May, Remember Me in June, Ducktales Remastered in, er, ‘summer’, and Lost Planet 3 in August. Ducktales is set for July, surely?

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Jams O'Donnell says:

That chap on the left needs time to recover from those shiners.

2. Dominic White says:

Just pointing out the Elephant In The Room here – Lost Planet 3 isn’t developed by Capcom. it’s by Spark Unlimited, the shovelware studio responsible for gems like Turning Point and Legendary. By all accounts, it’s also a Dead Space clone now.

3. karthink says:

A clone of Dead Space 1 or 3?

4. engion3 says:

I’m excited for that Resident Evil Revelations. Hopefully there’s no tanks in it like the latest Resident Evil. When tanks began firing at me I simply quit.

5. Dowr says:

Those 2 extra months probably aren’t going to save it anyway.

6. Discopanda says:

This game seems like it has those shiny graphics which look great in screenshots, but turn into total crap after you start playing it.

See also: The Matrix: Path of Neo

7. zeekthegeek says:

No amount of delaying will make this a game not made by Spark Unlimited

8. strangeloup says:

Well, the first one was mediocre at best, the second was utter shit, and as others have said, given that this is made by Spark Unlimited I fully suspect that it’s going to descend irretrievably into an abyss of terrible.

On the other hand, DragDog is really good and I’m hearing all sorts of positive things about the sort-of-expansion-or-whatever Dark Arisen. Wish they’d do a PC port, mind.

• Wedge says:

There’s been a lot of rumors about it, and it’s fairly bizarre it hasn’t, considering it’s the most “PC” looking title Capcom has released in a while.

9. SkittleDiddler says:

Two additional months? That’s it, I’m no longer interested in this game.

Scratch that — I was never interested in this game. And neither is anyone else apparently.