No Daud About It: Dishonored – Knife Of Dunwall DLC

By Adam Smith on April 11th, 2013 at 3:30 pm.

The headline is a lie, as they so often are, because there is actually a whole lot of Daud in Dishonored’s first proper chunk of DLC. Following the trials thing, which I didn’t bother with and have therefore dismissed completely, Knife of Dunwall is just what Dr DLC ordered. The player controls Daud, who will have “a unique arsenal of new weapons and powers that enhance Dishonored’s dynamic combat, mobility and stealth systems”. While Dunwall itself may be Dishonored’s finest achievement, and I look forward to seeing new districts in this DLC, I’m increasingly convinced that the fluidity of motion – whether sliding, climbing or striking – has somewhat spoiled other first-person games for me. Here’s a trailer, whaler.

It’s out April 16th and will cost $9.99.

, , , .

1. godgoo says:

Very much ready to jump back into Dunwall again. Also, googly-eyed whales!

2. PointyShinyBurning says:

WANT!

That is all.

3. Low Life says:

I kept wanting that fluidity in Bioshock Infinite. And in every other FPS I’ve played since Dishonored, it really feels amazing.

• Widthwood says:

This.

I also was set on playing new Bioshock in a way that made sence to me personally, without killing anyone except obvious mindless murderous maniacs.
      Failed miserably on the first scripted event, was hugely disappointed, and cringed a little on every “yeahh-kill-them-all” arena till the end of the game.

On the bright side, since Dishonored was pretty succesfull (I think), we might be seeng some kind of shift in future FPSses towards more dishonornessness.

4. Kollega says:

That trailer reminds me again that the world of Dishonored is terribly dystopian… but somehow, despite usually hating dystopias, i don’t care. Perhaps the game is just that good, just that stylish.

Will most likely be picking up this DLC when it comes out… IF it comes out in CIS countries, to be precise.

• Bolegium says:

It’s been a while since I finished Dishonored so I had forgotten how depressing the game world was, especially on high chaos (or so i’m told – low chaos only for me). Playing as Daud looks like it’s going to be even more depressing, I’m now wondering what the main game would be like if Daud was the player character rather than Corvo.

Some observations:
      Voiced first-person character, maybe? (Probably not)
      Automatic time pause when blinking? Should make blinking flow better and be even more fun.
      Dishonored is a great game? (Yes, it is)

5. 12kill4 says:

Could this be what HL2 episodes were always meant to be? (*guestures at classic CGW Magazine cover for HL2:Ep1 and its “A NEW HALF-LIFE 2 EVERY 3 MONTHS?” tag-line…)

I’m sure hoping for a nice spread of character focused vignettes, ala GTA IV’s ‘stories’; because frankly, Granny Rags would be the best of all possible protagonists.

VelvetFistIronGlove says:

I want a DLC where you play as the “I WILL SET FIRE TO THE HAIRS OF THEIR FACES!” man.

Kreeth says:

Ooh! Birthday present!

For a while after Dishonored I didn’t play any other FPWhatevers – so until now I wasn’t sure what it was I was missing in Bioshock Infinite (and Bioshock 2, which I’m having a go at now) – but this is it. The fluid runny-slidey-jumpy-blinky motion in Dishonored is exactly what other games haven’t replicated for me.

Blink blink blink. Best thing since UT translocators.

Zunt says:

Oh yes! The UT translocators. However much I played there were always other players who could zip past me doing the translocator shimmy. Tricks with that and the impact hammer make rocket jumping look a bit easy.

• KenTWOu says:

@Kreeth
      Crysis 2 already had that runny-slidey-jumpy-stompy motion, so Dishonored wasn’t the first one. Mirror’s Edge also had something similar, but you weren’t as mobile as nanosuit dude during interactions with enemies. By the way, Blink is awful and it seems this DLC makes Blink worse.

7. Kyber says:

The sense of flow in Dishonored is insane and beautiful. Can’t wait for the new DLC

8. webwielder says:

Hey, the Trials DLC was pretty fun for a fiver! Good exploration of the game’s different systems. And the lack of story elements was a plus in my book, as I cared not one whit for the characters or story of the campaign.

• Serpok says:

Agreed.

At first I too dismissed trials, thinking it will be a collection of blink’n'stab time-trials. But the very first one was a puzzle of sneaking and finding clues to reveal assassination target – I still do that one sometimes, even after clearing it all-stars-on-expert.

9. Ansob says:

Any word on whether those “three levels” that were mentioned are three distinct missions of similar length to the Dishonored ones? If so, that’s good value for $10.

• Snidesworth says:

From what I’ve gathered they’re exactly that. The Slaughterhouse that’s been previewed certainly matches the missions from the main game in size and complexity from what’s been reported.

10. ResonanceCascade says:

I fired up this game last night, because the grumpier sections of the hivemind had me questioning if Dishonored really was that good after all. It took about 5 minutes before I was reminded that yes, it is. Can’t wait to play as Daud.

• Fluka says:

I’d been feeling a bit grumpy about the game lately myself, having finished it a few months ago. Watching it in again again up in the trailer snapped me right out of that. “Oooh! I want to go back there!” Also, whales! (Poor whales!)

11. tolkienfanatic says:

Really wish I had passed on Dunwall City Trials because I would be much more inclined to get this… stupid me.

12. inertia says:

The Outsider is so embarrassing.

13. SandmanXC says:

I stand by my motto: No leaderboards, no sale.

14. Mr. Mister says:

Iā€™m increasingly convinced that the fluidity of motion ā€“ whether sliding, climbing or striking ā€“ has somewhat spoiled other first-person games for me.

Same with me and any 3rd person sandbox, thanks to Just Cause 2′s grappling hook.

• Sami Hamlaoui says:

re 1st person: Mirror’s Edge did this for me for movement and Dark Messiah for combat. One day we’ll get a game that combines both :’(

• Widthwood says:

Dark Messiah wasn’t perfect, too. I have very vivid memories of regularly having to strafe around an orc kicking him numerous times from different angles until he beautifully flied where I wanted him to (usually down from the cliff) :)

Kreeth says:

I never understood the adulation for Dark Messiah’s fighting. From memory, it just felt completely insubstantial. The fact that you could kick orcs onto spikes was fun for about 5 minutes, but that was it.

• WrenBoy says:

Am I alone in wanting more games to use momentum based movement a la Miasmata?

15. Stevostin says:

Looks a bit cheesy on the production value side of things. That being said, the gaming and writing may be good. Could be nice. Price, play time ?

• phelix says:

If we’re lucky they’ve saved on promotion costs in order to add value to the content itself.

16. Sic says:

Dishonored DLC for my birthday?

Why, thank you Arkane/Bethesda!

strangeloup says:

I feel a bit bad that I never got around to finishing Dishonoured. I’m not sure if I was doing it wrong or just rubbish at it or what, but it only seemed to engage me sporadically (the bits that did though were really great) and I got thoroughly stuck on the Bridge mission, which isn’t even very far into it.

It’s by no means a bad game and I figure I’ll go back to it in due course, but right now Binfinite is occupying me most intriguingly (though I’m a bit late to the party on that one).

18. DestructibleEnvironments says:

10 bucks for something that is probably 2-4 hours long? Aaaah, come on now. Deus Ex 1 is 10 bucks, and that takes 30-40 hours to complete. You are a meanie, Steam.

Edit: That is actually 10 euros for me.

• Sheng-ji says:

Buy it in 13 years time then, the price will have come down to match

19. Iskariot says:

Finally. This is the DLC I was waiting for.
    I hope the game play length warrants a first day buy. If not I will wait a bit.